Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, Redking said:

Now you have me with a tear in my eye on the other side of the world. I was born in Glasgow dear old Glasgow town. You can take the girl from Glasgow but you can't take Glasgow from the girl.

Like you I was also born in dear old Glasgae..  I have very fond memories- where I lived there were fields opposite, all gone now (it has been 49 years since I’ve been there but still have family there).  It’s lovely seeing Jim & Iain’s photos of Glasgow.  Perhaps I’ll one day visit again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

L

Before my family emigrated to Australia, we would always have ‘tatty scones.  Just to give the old heart an extra workout my aunt would fry them in oil and then smear them in butter.  I recently made some for my family....neither my husband nor sons were a fan.  Maybe it’s a Scottish thing?

“Tattie”  scones were a way of using up any left over mashed potato back in the old days. My granny’s family had a bakery in the 1930s and her  tattie scones were out of this world. She made them in on an iron cast girdle and they were paper thin. Shop bought do not measure up. They are also eaten in Northern Ireland - that’s what makes an Ulster Fry breakfast special. 

I will weigh in on the scone chat too. While all these fancy flavours of scone sound lovely, I am a traditionalist. In Scotland only 4 kinds acceptable: plain, fruit ( with raisins) , cheese and treacle. End of discussion 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Redking said:

Now you have me with a tear in my eye on the other side of the world. I was born in Glasgow dear old Glasgow town. You can take the girl from Glasgow but you can't take Glasgow from the girl.

Curious if you have been back.   While we have not been here in 3 years it has really continued to improve and there is just so much to do in the area. 

Last time we visited a lot on the East Coast and had a wonderful day at the Kelpies an absolutely incredible sculpture to see up close.

image.png.41f1f626b96bb58aae9ad4cb8c7dfee7.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

“Tattie”  scones were a way of using up any left over mashed potato back in the old days. My granny’s family had a bakery in the 1930s and her  tattie scones were out of this world. She made them in on an iron cast girdle and they were paper thin. Shop bought do not measure up. They are also eaten in Northern Ireland - that’s what makes an Ulster Fry breakfast special. 

I will weigh in on the scone chat too. While all these fancy flavours of scone sound lovely, I am a traditionalist. In Scotland only 4 kinds acceptable: plain, fruit ( with raisins) , cheese and treacle. End of discussion 😀

Sounds yummy.   

I have to agree with you on flavors.   I'm definitely a fan of the Fruit Scones.   

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious if you have been back.   While we have not been here in 3 years it has really continued to improve and there is just so much to do in the area. 

Last time we visited a lot on the East Coast and had a wonderful day at the Kelpies an absolutely incredible sculpture to see up close.

image.png.41f1f626b96bb58aae9ad4cb8c7dfee7.png

Stunning photo Jim. I'm long overdue a visit. Ten years since we were last there. One of our sons is living in Glasgow so we must get over and see him plus family and friends.

• Like 1

Thank you for letting me virtually follow along your adventures!  I have loved reading your posts and pictures each day.  Scotland and Transatlantic cruise have been on my bucket list for years.  Now I need this trip even more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2B A VTer said:

Thank you for letting me virtually follow along your adventures!  I have loved reading your posts and pictures each day.  Scotland and Transatlantic cruise have been on my bucket list for years.  Now I need this trip even more!

Thanks.   Definitely hit Scotland.  I would have to say the people are some of the most friendly  warm folks you will ever have an opportunity to meet.   I really get a kick out of the old Scottish expressions you see.

We are off to Dumries House (restored by Prince Charles trust) today for hiking and a family dinner.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Actually not predictive text…. girdle is an old Scots word for griddle, but I understand your confusion.

In my youth I attended a few parties in London . Some Scottish ladies were present. I need to reassess the memories of my conversations.🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I do have to say as long as I have know Iain's relatives I still have a hard time following all the conversation.     They use some words at times I don't understand but get the idea of what's said by the context. 

Couple examples -

Och aye -   for yea or yes

I’ll gie ye a skelpit lug!  -  I'll give you a slap on the ear

Keep the heid! - Calm down

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do have to say as long as I have know Iain's relatives I still have a hard time following all the conversation.     They use some words at times I don't understand but get the idea of what's said by the context. 

Couple examples -

Och aye -   for yea or yes

I’ll gie ye a skelpit lug!  -  I'll give you a slap on the ear

Keep the heid! - Calm down

On a cruise on Silhouette in Europe, we had a large table, and a couple of the couples were from Scotland.  The husband of one had such a thick brogue that I understood about a third of what he was saying.  I did a lot of nodding and smiling. EM

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

On a cruise on Silhouette in Europe, we had a large table, and a couple of the couples were from Scotland.  The husband of one had such a thick brogue that I understood about a third of what he was saying.  I did a lot of nodding and smiling. EM

When Iain's Aunt came to visit for the first time I couldn't understand a word she said.   Over the next 25 years she became my best buddy and no problem understanding her.

• Like 4

Wanted to join others in sending you a heartfelt THANK YOU!

So happy we have folks like you posting helpful information about the good and the um, not so good, all the while gracing us with your wonderful sense of humor. Your posts on CC have always been informative, upbeat and very enjoyable, and this trip report has taken it to a new level of class and charm.  I don't think I could be so upbeat after what you've been through so a hearty BRAVO to you both for sharing your trip experiences and I look forward to reading more 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 5/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.   Definitely hit Scotland.  I would have to say the people are some of the most friendly  warm folks you will ever have an opportunity to meet.   I really get a kick out of the old Scottish expressions you see.

We are off to Dumries House (restored by Prince Charles trust) today for hiking and a family dinner.

Hi Jim

Loved your blog,,,I was actually on the 21st April sailing with you,did look out for you.

Unfortunately like many others I tested positive on the Monday on getting home.

It was a rough one only testing negative on Thursday,,but still coughing.

But I’m getting back in the saddle so to speak and heading up to where you have been,,well a bit further North.

Ive just booked a cruise on Fred Olsen from Liverpool next month,,,9 days round the Scottish Islands of Bute,Skye and Orkney,,,adding in Belfast and Invergordon.

Hope it doesn’t have the same problems as our cruise on Silhouette had due to undermanning problems and the ensuing chaos in MDR.

4 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Loved your blog,,,I was actually on the 21st April sailing with you,did look out for you.

Unfortunately like many others I tested positive on the Monday on getting home.

It was a rough one only testing negative on Thursday,,but still coughing.

But I’m getting back in the saddle so to speak and heading up to where you have been,,well a bit further North.

Ive just booked a cruise on Fred Olsen from Liverpool next month,,,9 days round the Scottish Islands of Bute,Skye and Orkney,,,adding in Belfast and Invergordon.

Hope it doesn’t have the same problems as our cruise on Silhouette had due to undermanning problems and the ensuing chaos in MDR.

Glad you are doing better.   I'm sure the Scottish Island cruise will be amazing.   We are scheduling a British Isle Cruise next year and looking forward to visiting the outlying islands.

But for the Pandemic, we would never have cruised around the UK, We booked a Staycation and so visited places that we had never visited before.

Scotland opened up to visitors on 6th August and we were scheduled to visit on the 9th. We were certainly given a welcome in Orkney.

E4C916CE-D7D2-42E4-B6B2-B4B987F86EF3.thumb.jpeg.dc9eac6075d008775fbaa77ab4bbedc1.jpeg

E3A2164C-D5D1-4837-AD72-4B76EE4101A3.thumb.jpeg.c97dea8dbedf8d270ac8bde56c484800.jpeg

27E69D53-19D6-44DC-B09A-708FDDCF4C9C.thumb.jpeg.a80aad14352a802c955057138b6b81f9.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

It was a really executed plan by Celebrity to make the best of the quarantine.   We will be taking the British Isles cruise next year and planning on bringing Iain's Sister and BIL  So many of the stops they have never been to.

• Like 1

So happy you made lemons out of lemonade.  i wish you all and the relatives good health and look forward to reading future posts. I wish i could post as you do but all you would see would be my thumb lol!  All the best. 

6 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Make sure you book one that includes the great city of Liverpool.

Yes, Liverpool is awesome, one of my favorite ports ever.  Do not miss their library.  The inside has been completely redone and is awesome.  And their two cathedrals are amazing.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1