Britannia Club ?

gfs1ram

Apologises if this topic has been raised before but I cannot find it.

Having completed over 20 cruise with Cunard I am aware that Britannia Club balconies usually sell out fairly quickly.

I am also aware of the separate 'any time' dining option and the separate dinning rooms on the QE and QV with extended menu's.

Other than the above I was told on our recent QE cruise that there is little difference in the cabins and this came from the Sales Reps on board.

I was looking at cruises for 2023 and from a quick calculation Britannia Club balconies seem to be about 30/40% more expensive than the

normal BB, BE balcony cabins that I usually book. So on some 12 night cruises the difference was approximately £3600 for two people.

It seems difficult to justify such an extra expense (almost another cruise) especially as we have been very happy with the service/food normally 

received with an ordinary Britannia cabin.

Am I missing something ?   Would appreciate any helpful comments from members who have experience of both.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I don’t think you are missing anything important. It comes down to how much people  value the separate dining room with a dedicated table, an a la carte additional menu, and open dining. I’m currently in Club on QE, and it’s clearly very popular. So enough passengers do seemingly put quite a high value on the dining differences, as indeed I do. But others will feel differently. Incidentally, flambéed desserts prepared table-side seem very popular. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfs1ram said:

Having completed over 20 cruise with Cunard I am aware that Britannia Club balconies usually sell out fairly quickly.

I am also aware of the separate 'any time' dining option and the separate dinning rooms on the QE and QV with extended menu's.

Other than the above I was told on our recent QE cruise that there is little difference in the cabins and this came from the Sales Reps on board.

I was looking at cruises for 2023 and from a quick calculation Britannia Club balconies seem to be about 30/40% more expensive than the

normal BB, BE balcony cabins that I usually book. So on some 12 night cruises the difference was approximately £3600 for two people.

It seems difficult to justify such an extra expense (almost another cruise) especially as we have been very happy with the service/food normally 

Am I missing something ?   Would appreciate any helpful comments from members who have experience of both.

Thank you.

I have a Club reservation later this year and from what I researched I agree that these are the differences. From what I understand, there is no difference in the cabin (not little difference) from a non club balcony cabin.

I must have booked in a sale because inside and outside cabins were identical prices, a balcony was £100 extra and a Club was £100 extra again so well worth it in my opinion.

My DW and I enjoy experiencing Club Britannia on the Queen Mary 2 with the upcoming sailing this September being our 5th in CB..

We do prefer the set table assignment for the three meals a day. But have the options of still dining in Kings Courts, Pub and Carinthia to name a few including within the Main Britannia Restaurant for it's atmosphere many mention for breakfast or lunch.

There is no limit to the amount of time you need to dine before another sitting. Yes there is a personal service we experience once getting acquainted with the DR Staff. We have experienced extra perks prepared for us and personal Flambe's are a treat along with Pre Grill A la Cart offerings.

On QM2 we don't mind the Deck 12 assignment near B Stairway. Many will mention how it's a hike to the far aft of the ship and down 10 deck to the Dining Room. Even passengers have even a longer stroll if their cabin are on recently added  Deck 13 to the DR. 

Maybe someday being assigned to CB the Upgrade Fairy will assign us to PG or QG restaurant

Edited by BklynBoy8

1 hour ago, gfs1ram said:

Thank you.

In simplistic terms, no, one is not missing anything, as it’s the feeling of a Cunard experience.  
To appreciate something intangible, may one suggest the experience is tried, as this will bring an understanding as to why Club is so popular.

It’s similar to one’s first cruise on Cunard, or the first stay at the Fairmont, something inside whispers a gentle “yes”.

Having tried once there may be no going back.

• Like 2

I won't repeat the informative posts above. Regarding the QM2, I will add that the added Club staterooms on Deck 13 are more attractively furnished than those on Deck 12. In addition to the aesthetics, there is a swinging glass door for the shower rather than the curtain which many people despise. We had one of those rooms just a few weeks after they were in service and loved it.

The disadvantage of the Deck 13 staterooms is the location. Being so far forward and high up you will feel the motion if the sea is bumpy.  As others have said, the BC rooms are far from the restaurants on Deck 2 aft, but we certainly needed the exercise.

The fare difference between what we consider an acceptable Britannia balcony cabin and the Club can be considerable. If it seems too much we won't book it. We have a BC booked for the autumn at a fare difference which I found to be reasonable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

The position of the Club staterooms puts me off from booking one but that is just a personal choice.

Understandable........

But we adapted and got use to it. It even helped after meal strolls to work it off....lol.....

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Understandable........

But we adapted and got use to it. It even helped after meal strolls to work it off....lol.....

I am not worried about distance its position of ship too high a deck and dont like being forward.

Did a December back to back on the 13th floor and never felt any motion even when the seas were high and the outer decks were closed. Of course I was in one of the terrific 13th floor inside cabins. Very quiet, easy access to the outside sports deck and the exercise of walking up and down all those stairs allows for the fourth meal each day. If memory serves the inside cabins on deck 13 also have doors for the showers and do sell out quickly. The inside cabins are Britannia not club cabins.

Edited by Lakesregion

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

If memory serves the inside cabins on deck 13 also have doors for the showers 

Yes...On Deck 13 but ours was ocean view balcony

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 4/7/2022 at 8:37 AM, david,Mississauga said:

I won't repeat the informative posts above. Regarding the QM2, I will add that the added Club staterooms on Deck 13 are more attractively furnished than those on Deck 12. In addition to the aesthetics, there is a swinging glass door for the shower rather than the curtain which many people despise. We had one of those rooms just a few weeks after they were in service and loved it.

The disadvantage of the Deck 13 staterooms is the location. Being so far forward and high up you will feel the motion if the sea is bumpy.  As others have said, the BC rooms are far from the restaurants on Deck 2 aft, but we certainly needed the exercise.

The fare difference between what we consider an acceptable Britannia balcony cabin and the Club can be considerable. If it seems too much we won't book it. We have a BC booked for the autumn at a fare difference which I found to be reasonable.

Because most of my QM2 voyages have been crossings, I've worried about that high/forward location. And I do love the sheltered balcony on a TA. Low, mid-ship, and a balcony I can use most any day, not matter the weather.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Because most of my QM2 voyages have been crossings, I've worried about that high/forward location. And I do love the sheltered balcony on a TA. Low, mid-ship, and a balcony I can use most any day, not matter the weather.

That is why I dont like high forward cabins all my cruises on QM2 have been roundtrip TA.

Thank you for your helpful replies. Interesting.

Must admit I am with majortom in terms of preferred location - midships/aft, lower deck.

As suggested the thing is to try Britannia Club - if you are happy with the price !

Looking at some further possible cruises for 2023 the price difference I have found is more often 70 to over 100% increase for Club !!

Will continue to look for that bargain though.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Thank you for your helpful replies. Interesting.

Must admit I am with majortom in terms of preferred location - midships/aft, lower deck.

As suggested the thing is to try Britannia Club - if you are happy with the price !

Looking at some further possible cruises for 2023 the price difference I have found is more often 70 to over 100% increase for Club !!

Will continue to look for that bargain though.  Thank you.

Just now, Electra 7 said:

in my honest opinion we were on cruise in November we wanted to go club class to try it but it was not available 

we added 4 night cruise on so we could try it

the four night cruise was cancelled due to storms but the cruise we were on had an extra night so we explained all this to maitre' d in club and he gave us a table for the one night and even having it for free we much preferred Britannia restaurant

the people we sat next to in club were delighted that we were there as they had no companions for the whole cruise

we personally thought the food in Britannia was exceptional hoping for the same next Friday  when we go onboard

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 8:53 PM, gfs1ram said:

Thank you.

Having done 3 cruises/voyages in Britannia Club - one actually Solo - I seem to recall that an additional 'perk' was the invite to join the Grills Welcome Cocktail Party.

Again, not sure whether that alone individually would justify the price, but you do get larger prawns in the canapé selection. 😂

I also take the view that its not always about the money and more to do with one's style of travel.

1025923560_JacekandPeachFlambe.thumb.jpg.760116e68c7062e0ccf7cb86c9f35eb5.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Having done 3 cruises/voyages in Britannia Club - one actually Solo - I seem to recall that an additional 'perk' was the invite to join the Grills Welcome Cocktail Party.

Again, not sure whether that alone individually would justify the price, but you do get larger prawns in the canapé selection. 😂

I also take the view that its not always about the money and more to do with one's style of travel.

1025923560_JacekandPeachFlambe.thumb.jpg.760116e68c7062e0ccf7cb86c9f35eb5.jpg

What, when and where is the grills welcome cocktail party?

I just looked at a 7 cruise on QE Autumn next year and regular Balcony Is £1000, BC £1700 and PG £2400 pp.  So £100 extra pp per night for BC and then another £100 for PG. I’d argue that the £100 difference between BC and PG is better value than the £100 difference between Britannia Balcony and BC.

• Like 2

We found that the Brittania Club dining room on the QM was dark and tucked away behind the MDR, difficult to get to. The Brittania Club dining room on the QV was beautiful, bright and easily accessible. The only problem with the QV and the QE Brittania Club dining was the location of the balcony cabins. All were underneath the Lido deck, making location not ideal, ie. noise from above. We have been very happy with the Brittania regular dining room and are looking forward to our next cruise in July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Se1lad said:

I just looked at a 7 cruise on QE Autumn next year and regular Balcony Is £1000, BC £1700 and PG £2400 pp.  So £100 extra pp per night for BC and then another £100 for PG. I’d argue that the £100 difference between BC and PG is better value than the £100 difference between Britannia Balcony and BC.

No doubt you will throughly enjoy your booked week in PG.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

What, when and where is the grills welcome cocktail party?

Usually sandwiched between the Britannia Welcome onboard Cocktail Party and The World Club Cocktail Party.

Roll up, roll up, roll up. Get your photograph taken with the Captain. 😉😉

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No doubt you will throughly enjoy your booked week in PG.

I didn’t book - I was just looking to provide some additional price comparisons on here - I already have 2 cruises booked in QG for this year - don’t think my wallet can stretch to any more!