Covid Testing? Walgreens Just Cancelled

GJM

2 hours ago, GJM said:

I cancelled the Emed because it wouldn't have been here, it was still pending after 6PM  All the Walgreens by us have 0 appointments at any of them.  So we are driving 45 min tomorrow to a Walgreens, we still have our appointment in FL, but we were worried if we hit traffic or something and can't make it in time.  We are driving from SC and going to Port Canaveral.  Next cruise, if we still have to test, I am ordering the home tests.  

We are driving from NC to Port Canaveral and planned to have back up appointments scheduled at Walgreens and CVS off of 95 going through Jacksonville, FL.  Haven't checked in the past couple of days, but there were many when I did the original research.  Perhaps this could work for you?  There are also some stores in Titusville, just before you get to PC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shof515 said:

I also wondering if the Ihealth telehealth service is acceptable

I went for it. :classic_smile: I just signed up and paid for the IHEALTH proctored testing for the 2 of us, for the test kits that we already have. We have 8 of them from the government. So, I will be the guinea pig, since no one else has chimed in. From what I have researched, there is no reason why they shouldn't be accepted. CDC compliant, FDA approved and approved for international travel.  I will also try to schedule back up tests at CVS, though. :classic_biggrin:

I plan on presenting the Ihealth printouts though, and will let others know in early May, what occurs. :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:06 PM, Fa-Li said:

We are driving from NC to Port Canaveral and planned to have back up appointments scheduled at Walgreens and CVS off of 95 going through Jacksonville, FL.  Haven't checked in the past couple of days, but there were many when I did the original research.  Perhaps this could work for you?  There are also some stores in Titusville, just before you get to PC

Try Richmond Hill Ga. Walgreens. exit 90 south of Savannah. We have our tests scheduled for this week there. They had plenty of appointments available. Fingers crossed they honor our appt. 

• Thanks 1

This is the sample that I got from iHealth and it looks like it has everything except a CLIA number which Royal specifically says the report must have. I have sent Royal a email for clarification but haven’t received a response yet.2BF6B775-59D3-4985-880A-AC8933992B03.jpeg.09f3d8828cb82606f5f627e5416f5e27.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/8/2022 at 5:37 PM, AnyWayIsGood said:

What occurred to me reading through this thread is simply...what a pain it all is. Traveling USED to be easy and relaxing. I also had a test canceled and had to scramble to find something right before a cruise. Too nerve-wracking for my 66 year-old mind. 

Yep and exactly why I have several times rescheduled a L&S booked in November, 2019 for an original sail date of November, 2020.  It is now booked for October, 2022 and by then I hope the pre cruise tests are a thing of the past.  If not, I will have to do whatever is necessary to get the test and results back on time, but as I have always said - no more bookings until the pre cruise test requirement is a thing of the past.

10 minutes ago, mek said:

until the pre cruise test requirement is a thing of the past.

I woudn't stop cruising due to the pre-cruise testing. I'm less concerned with that as I am being booked with Viking since they still do daily PCR testing. If positive, you don't always get to remain on the ship. My only worry about the pre-cruise test is the limited amount of time you have to do it given the possibility of test cancellation. Once onboard our recent cruise, for the most part it felt reasonably 'normal' other than for masking (which most pax didn't do anyway). 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herdfandb said:

This is the sample that I got from iHealth and it looks like it has everything except a CLIA number which Royal specifically says the report must have. I have sent Royal a email for clarification but haven’t received a response yet.2BF6B775-59D3-4985-880A-AC8933992B03.jpeg.09f3d8828cb82606f5f627e5416f5e27.jpeg

Thanks! I doubt that you will hear back from them either. (I haven't) I don't know if that will be an issue or not. I am going to try and make back up appointments, but rapid antigen tests are not widely available, and Kaiser says 48 hours for test results. 

Edited by Coralc

13 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I woudn't stop cruising due to the pre-cruise testing. I'm less concerned with that as I am being booked with Viking since they still do daily PCR testing. If positive, you don't always get to remain on the ship. My only worry about the pre-cruise test is the limited amount of time you have to do it given the possibility of test cancellation. Once onboard our recent cruise, for the most part it felt reasonably 'normal' other than for masking (which most pax didn't do anyway). 

While I don't mind getting a test, it's the timeline that is problematic for me and a hassle since we fly down pre cruise.  I was at CVS yesterday and they told me their tests take 2-3 days for results.  I know there are other options out there - but honestly, more trouble than their worth - at least for us.  Hopefully by the end of summer, I will have a better idea of what we need to do.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:15 PM, Coralc said:

I went for it. :classic_smile: I just signed up and paid for the IHEALTH proctored testing for the 2 of us, for the test kits that we already have. We have 8 of them from the government. So, I will be the guinea pig, since no one else has chimed in. From what I have researched, there is no reason why they shouldn't be accepted. CDC compliant, FDA approved and approved for international travel.  I will also try to schedule back up tests at CVS, though. :classic_biggrin:

I plan on presenting the Ihealth printouts though, and will let others know in early May, what occurs. :classic_smile:

We signed up for this too, but leave in early May as well. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣 I have time today to sit on hold forever with RC, so I'll see what I can find out & compare it to anyone else's research. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Considering using I Health, but to schedule an appointment you need a ticket # that they send you when you order the tests from them. If I use the I Health test that I got from the government where do I get the code for the ticket #? I guess I will call them to find out. I will let you know what I find out.

1 minute ago, di234 said:

Hi all,

Considering using I Health, but to schedule an appointment you need a ticket # that they send you when you order the tests from them. If I use the I Health test that I got from the government where do I get the code for the ticket #? I guess I will call them to find out. I will let you know what I find out.

After you pay, they send an email with the codes.

• Like 1

OK! I was just told that as long as it's a **proctored** PCR or Antigen test, it's accepted. The iHealth tests are antigen (I double checked to be sure), and I specifically mentioned that it was an iHealth test I was planning on using. 

If anyone else receives info that doesn't match this, please let us know of course, but I'm going to move forward with using this option for our trip for now. It was a lot cheaper than the Binax tests & I have a bunch of them anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:52 PM, Herdfandb said:

CVS tests do not have a CLIA number and are accepted widely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:27 PM, Kelli0927 said:

Now you're making me nervous. I just scheduled ours 30 min ago for next Tuesday. I haven't made a back up plan yet. Guess I better try to reserve something in Orlando and cancel if not needed. 

All of the Walgreens and CVS stores in our area have discontinued rapid tests. And only offer the 1-3 day PCR test.

We have used eMed home tests for all of our cruises. Fast, easy, efficient (test results email as soon as you show the proctor a negative result). Our insurance company has always paid 100% of the cost of the proctored kits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

All of the Walgreens and CVS stores in our area have discontinued rapid tests.

Well, that is a bummer. We were counting on doing that again for our cruise next month. Guess we'll find out if the change you refer to is nationwide or just specific to certain areas. Waiting for a PCR (or similar) that takes several days can indeed be problematic, especially if the test can't be taken more than 24 hours prior to a flight - which is our situation. Again, total PITA in general. 

11 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

CVS tests do not have a CLIA number and are accepted widely 

At least at our RCL pre-cruise check last month, they didn't spend much time looking at the test result. I think if they see that it's negative, that's pretty much all they're interested in. 

11 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

At least at our RCL pre-cruise check last month, they didn't spend much time looking at the test result. I think if they see that it's negative, that's pretty much all they're interested in. 

Agree!  The emed results do not have a CLIA number on them, either.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, mek said:

I was at CVS yesterday and they told me their tests take 2-3 days for results.  

I can't speak for CVS, but I will say whenever a test company has told me 2-3 days, it has been a day or less, except for at the very height of the Omicron surge in January, and even then it was under 2 days. In the past month or so, whenever I've tested outside the home, it's been under 12 hours for a PCR. Usually 6-8 hours. There is such limited demand for testing currently that there's basically no backlog at all.

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Our insurance company has always paid 100% of the cost of the proctored kits.

That is really good to know! I've never submitted a reimbursement request for a home kit because it's just such a pain in the butt (and we still have a stockpile of the free tests, as well as free testing facilities are still relatively plentiful here), but I just assumed the proctored tests were considered a luxury that wouldn't be covered by insurance.

3 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I can't speak for CVS, but I will say whenever a test company has told me 2-3 days, it has been a day or less, except for at the very height of the Omicron surge in January, and even then it was under 2 days. In the past month or so, whenever I've tested outside the home, it's been under 12 hours for a PCR. Usually 6-8 hours. There is such limited demand for testing currently that there's basically no backlog at all.

Nice to know, but it really doesn't eliminate the stress issue when I have to get a test on Friday,  then fly on Saturday for a Sunday cruise and not know exactly when I will have the results.  If and when I absolutely have to get a test for my  October cruise, I want quick results and I don't want to have to order tests to be delivered to my house and then mess with my phone, laptop, or iPad.  (And yes, I'm computer literate - I just don't want to do it that way.). 

Some may reply  that is what it takes to cruise and many are willing to still jump through hoops to get on a ship.  If I lived closer and could drive, I would probably feel differently, but  it's just not worth the hassle to me and other than this one cruise I have booked for October, I simply have no intentions of doing I what I believe is unnecessary testing just to cruise.

Edited by mek

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

All of the Walgreens and CVS stores in our area have discontinued rapid tests. And only offer the 1-3 day PCR test.

We have used eMed home tests for all of our cruises. Fast, easy, efficient (test results email as soon as you show the proctor a negative result). Our insurance company has always paid 100% of the cost of the proctored kits.

I used e-med - link from RCI website in January and it was very easy and efficient.  Will use it again in April.