DIGITAL PASSENGER LOCATOR FORM or dplf.

Spif Barwunkel

Four countries in Europe require arriving passengers to fill out and submit a Digital Passenger Locator Form (dplf). Flying to Italy in May to board Reflection for a ten night Rome to Rome. Italy is one of the four. Not much chatter about this on the roll call. Like other uncertainties out there, this is another possible requirement to get out of the airport and on to the ship. 

Does anyone have some sound knowledge and/or experience with the dplf? 

Have just returned to the Uk from a holiday in South of France. Filled out the appropriate health form online to get in. Also sworn declaration. Nobody asked for them and nobody even looked at our vaccine passport once. I’m so surprised that celebrity still requiring testing for vaccinated guests sailing from Europe. 

I remember Purplsmurf's response on the Roll Call about a son not having to provide any dplf information during a recent trip to Italy. Now, Scottishclover makes the same comment regarding a recent trip to France. It is rather frustrating being required to complete yet another form, within a certain time frame no less, and have that form not even referenced during travel. Seems a useless exercise.  

For Spain you can register at anytime but can not submit until 2 days prior to arrival.    Some have been reporting that Spain has dropped the requirement but I haven't been able to confirm as of yet.    On our roll call for 4/21 some report that celebrity has said they will file for all ship passengers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For Spain you can register at anytime but can not submit until 2 days prior to arrival.    Some have been reporting that Spain has dropped the requirement but I haven't been able to confirm as of yet.    On our roll call for 4/21 some report that celebrity has said they will file for all ship passengers.

Thank you, Jim. That is very relevant information.

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had read that Spain dropped it, but my son lives there and just returned and needed it. He is leaving for Germany tomorrow for the weekend and has already received an email stating that he will need it for his return to Spain……so it’s still needed

Hi Scottishclover - Your comment interest me because my family (we live in the USA) and I will be traveling from the UK (London) into France (Paris) by train in July.  I can find nothing on the train website about testing or filling out any forms to get into France.  Did you fly or take a train?  And what requirements did you have getting into France from the UK?  Thank you!

We flew Edinburgh to Nice and were required to have our vaccine passports and a signed sworn declaration to say we didn’t have Covid. On the UK government website it also said that we may be asked for the digital health form so I filled that out too. Nobody asked to see any of the information. Europe has really lifted restrictions and my general feeling was that Covid has become irrelevant now. Only mask wearing in France was on public transport. As you are a citizen of the USA, your entry requirements may be different. I’m sure things will change again by July. 

11 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Hi Scottishclover - Your comment interest me because my family (we live in the USA) and I will be traveling from the UK (London) into France (Paris) by train in July.  I can find nothing on the train website about testing or filling out any forms to get into France.  Did you fly or take a train?  And what requirements did you have getting into France from the UK?  Thank you!

France does require the form…. Euplf.eu is the website 

Edited by Purplsmurf

On 4/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, Jim_Iain said:

According to Gov.UK we no longer need to fill out the form.

26 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

According to Gov.UK we no longer need to fill out the form.

Interesting that only the UK doesn’t have to fill them out, but everyone else does, even those that live there and are returning. Good for you!

20 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

We flew Edinburgh to Nice and were required to have our vaccine passports and a signed sworn declaration to say we didn’t have Covid. On the UK government website it also said that we may be asked for the digital health form so I filled that out too. Nobody asked to see any of the information. Europe has really lifted restrictions and my general feeling was that Covid has become irrelevant now. Only mask wearing in France was on public transport. As you are a citizen of the USA, your entry requirements may be different. I’m sure things will change again by July. 

Thank you so much!  We do not have "vaccine passports" in the U.S.  We have a card that was given to us recording the dates of the vaccines and booster.  I guest that is the same thing.  The only thing that I could find about entering France (and this was by air) from another country is that we DID NOT have to show proof of being Covid free if we were vaccinated and boostered.  If we did not get the booster, testing proof had to be shown. 

Chanbre and Purplsmurf - I had looked before, but will use the links you both provided and do another check.  Thank you!

When arriving by train from the UK to France, we wonder what the procedures are after getting off.  We have traveled from country to country by train in Europe in the past. I don't ever remember having to show a U.S. passport when arriving in a difference country. Only when flying from country to country.

Trying not to muddy the waters.  The 4 countries that currently require the EU Digital PLF are France, Italy, Malta, and Slovenia--as final destinations.  Different questions if arriving by aircraft, ship, ferry, auto/bus.  Today, I filled out ours for airline arrival in Malta next week.  It is good for 30 days, however, the different countries have different requirements.  I also had to get the App Verifly to upload info and our CDC Covid cards. Many airlines use this, but not Delta.  It was a Malta entrance requirement.  I have separate forms, sent by the cruise line, to board the ship.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, Purplsmurf said:

It is required to enter the country when you fly to Italy. It can’t be filled out more than 3 days in advance. QR code must be shown before boarding flight to Italy

Here's what confuses me about this form though. There appears to be only one mode of transportation that can be selected for entry. So in talking to one Viking agent today she said to fill it out relative to arriving into the country by cruise; however, this doesn't provide any info as to actual arrival (into Italy) by air. What about for those who are doing a pre-cruise extension?

At present I have several different versions of the form completed and saved, including a separate one for Malta since our cruise visits there. From everything I read, they need their own. So I have 6 forms saved (one for DW and myself) for 3 different versions:  arrival by cruise, arrival by air, and the one just for Malta. 

So...which is it? Complete and submit it for arrival by air - in which case the form is fairly short - OR - submit one for arrival by cruise ship (in which intermediate ports are requested to be listed - I have all that ready to go as well). I'm hoping, as has been mentioned by several on CC, that the cruise line will provide further clarification as to completing and when to submit this. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

I’m doing one for when we fly there. If another Is required for a cruise, I would think that Celebrity would tell us that. I would think that if we are leaving from Italy on a cruise, then we would’ve already filled one out to get there, so why would we need it to cruise back? Who knows 

5 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I’m doing one for when we fly there. If another Is required for a cruise, I would think that Celebrity would tell us that. I would think that if we are leaving from Italy on a cruise, then we would’ve already filled one out to get there, so why would we need it to cruise back? Who knows 

You just need one spanning the complete time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

There are different forms for each form of transport. We would have to do 2 if we need one to fly there and then one to sail from there.

When starting the digital PLF you are asked for the method of transport - which is probably a plane.
Use that one for the whole time frame or complete 2 if you feel safer about it - it is a matter of a few minutes 🙅‍♂️

BTW as mentioned we spent the Easter weekend in Italy. I completed the form about two weeks before and it wasn´t a problem.
Spain dropped the requirement as of April 7 for all who can present a vaccination certificate which is recognized by the EU.

Edited by Miaminice

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

When starting the digital PLF you are asked for the method of transport - which is probably a plane.
Use that one for the whole time frame or complete 2 if you feel safer about it - it is a matter of a few minutes 🙅‍♂️

Spain dropped the requirement as of April 7 for all who can present a vaccination certificate which is recognized by the EU.

Are they still good in Spain with a standard U.S. paper certificate?