Kindle Paperwhite/Kindle Oasis and Princess Medallion Net/WiFi

BabySarge

I currently have a Kindle Paperwhite and have never been able to connect it to the WiFi whilst on board ship despite being able to do so at home, at many hotels, and even at various ports with free wi-fi around the world.  As my current Kindle is several years old and starting to have some glitches, I am looking to get a new one and hoping one of the more technology minded people here can advise if the following information on Kindle Paperwhite or the Kindle Oasis would make either of them potentially compatible with the Madallion Net WiFi currently available on Princess.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kindle Paperwhite:  

Wifi Connectivity

Supports 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) wifi networks.

Kindle Oasis:  

Wi-Fi Connectivity

Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, g, or n standards with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS).

I can't answer your question.

I can tell you that I load up a ton of books on my discontinued Kindle (Voyage) before I leave. I use OverDrive through my library so everything I am getting is free (loaner).

This way - when on the ship, I don't need to download anything. Just make sure the books download before you leave for the ship.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I can tell you that I load up a ton of books on my discontinued Kindle (Voyage) before I leave. I use OverDrive through my library so everything I am getting is free (loaner).

This way - when on the ship, I don't need to download anything. Just make sure the books download before you leave for the ship.

I use overdrive as well. I can download 15 books.

• Like 3

Have you considered an I Pad?    I downloaded the Kindle app and have the functions of the Kindle.   Have not had a problem with Princess app (keeping fingers crossed for future use).   I also download multiple books prior to cruising but can also obtain new books while at sea if needed.

• Like 1

BabySarge,  When you've attempted to connect the Kindle to Medallion Net, were you logged off all your other devices?  (Assuming that you didn't have the 4-pack.) And then you have to use that clunky web browser that's on the paperwhite to log into your Medallion Net account and then go to the wifi connect on the kindle.  It's much easier to do on a Kindle Fire.  

In addition to trying to load up the Paperwhite before you leave or get on the ship, probably the easiest thing to do is buy what ever books you want on the ship using your phone and then as soon as you get into a port, take your paperwhite with you and find some  wifi you can log in to the usual way. and it should start synching the new items.  

I'm thinking of updating my Paperwhite  as well before my next big trip.  Hopefully the browser is better on the newer model

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pedirn said:

Have you considered an I Pad?    I downloaded the Kindle app and have the functions of the Kindle.   Have not had a problem with Princess app (keeping fingers crossed for future use).   I also download multiple books prior to cruising but can also obtain new books while at sea if needed.

I have both. I much prefer to read my books on my Kindle with e-ink technology. It is lighter weight and doesn't have the computer glare that an iPad has (or Kindle Fire). 

You are right - the iPad is easier to connect to the ship's internet. 

• Like 5

Thanks all who have responded so far.  I am a voracious and extremely fast reader, often reading two to three books a day especially when cruising with lots of sea days and rarely buy or pay more than 1.99 per book if I do buy one (I use Book Bub and get a daily e-mail with books in the various genres I read).  My Kindle is always loaded with lots and lots of books (currently sitting with 600+ in the unread section and I will have those finished before the end of the year if I don't add anymore).  

As I said, I'm going to get a new device and the Oasis is more expensive but does have a different type of wi-fi connection and I wonder if it works better for connecting that the Kindle?

In the past when I have attempted to connect my Kindle, which has what they call the "Experimental Browser" all other devices have been disconnected from the net/wi-fi but it just doesn't work.  I can always get the books using my laptop and the Kindle app and then do the sync step when I get to a port with free wi-fi that I can connect my Kindle to, just was hoping to eliminate a step and having to waste time in port doing that.  Just as I didn't want to have to buy "another" device like the iPad or the Kindle Fire.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

This is what I do and as soon as I download the books I put my kindle in Airplane mode so that when the library loan is over they don’t disappear! 

• Like 3

I have connected to NCL on ship Wi-Fi using the paperwhite, but it is tedious having to keep reconnecting between using the phone . I tend to load up with books beforehand obviously. The other method is to tether via my phone, I can’t remember whether this worked on my last cruise but it certainly works onshore and has the advantage of not having to disconnect. 
We haven’t yet managed to cruise since you-know-what but hope to this summer, I’ll find out then.

Re using iPad etc : I find the screen on the paperwhite easier on my eyes, the paging is much better than an iPad and the paperwhite is significantly lighter than even the iPad mini, using an iPhone is tedious to read a book as the portion of a page that fits on the screen makes for frequent page turning.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BabySarge said:

Just as I didn't want to have to buy "another" device like the iPad or the Kindle Fire.  

I have no problem reading my oasis on the deck in the daytime but I have difficulty with my kindle fire. I really have to increase the brightness to be able to read the text and this is when I'm in the shade.

I wouldn't recomend the Fire for a cruie if you like to read outside on the deck.

Otherwise I love it.

• Like 1

I bought the new Kindle Paperwhite for my two cruises in Nov 2021 and Mar 2022 and was unable to connect to Medallion Net, even using the browser.

I would prepare to not have wifi connectivity (make sure ALL books are downloaded - there was one I bought and could not read due to not having it downloaded beforehand).

Also - I had the previous Oasis model - the new Paperwhite is just as nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sewgood said:

I have no problem reading my oasis on the deck in the daytime but I have difficulty with my kindle fire. I really have to increase the brightness to be able to read the text and this is when I'm in the shade.

I wouldn't recomend the Fire for a cruie if you like to read outside on the deck.

Otherwise I love it.

4 hours ago, ozscotart said:

Re using iPad etc : I find the screen on the paperwhite easier on my eyes, the paging is much better than an iPad and the paperwhite is significantly lighter than even the iPad mini, using an iPhone is tedious to read a book as the portion of a page that fits on the screen makes for frequent page turning.

I completely agree.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bronzey214 said:

I bought the new Kindle Paperwhite for my two cruises in Nov 2021 and Mar 2022 and was unable to connect to Medallion Net, even using the browser.

I would prepare to not have wifi connectivity (make sure ALL books are downloaded - there was one I bought and could not read due to not having it downloaded beforehand).

Also - I had the previous Oasis model - the new Paperwhite is just as nice.

I also didn't fully download one book which was the first in the series of books - so I completely agree to make sure everything is downloaded.

I bought the Voyage (now discontinued) and right after, the Paperwhite increased the PPI so the reason I bought the Voyage became irrelevant. I would go with Paperwhite right now.

• Like 1

Thanks all.   Think I'll just upgrade to a new Paperwhite and continue doing what I've been doing which is downloading lots and lots of books prior to sailing and then utilizing free wi-fi in ports, when possible, to download more if needed.  I don't know exactly what "tethering" to my phone means so am going to look into that and see if it would be a viable option but might need to find a neighbor's grandchild to help me out 🙂

Happy sailing everyone - stay safe.

• Like 1

Amazon has really good customer service.  Have you talked with them and what do they say?  You'd think wifi is wifi is wifi - wonder why your Kindle won't connect?  I have the Oasis and love it (physical buttons are incredible) and I'll be on a cruise next week (not Princess though) and I'll see if I can make it connect.

If it's a huge issue to you (and it sounds like it is) you could buy a travel router and your Kindle would talk to it, not the ship's wifi.  The travel router connects to the wifi onboard.  Maybe that would work? 

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, memoak said:

I use kindle unlimited and will download 10 books before I sail.  If it is a long cruise I may return and download more while in port. I would not trust the shipboard WiFi 

Did you know you can now upload 20 books with Kindle Unlimited? It’s a game changer for me on long cruises. 

Denise

Kindles do stop working. I had my kindle third generation with keyboard. So old but loved it. A few months ago got email that it will no longer be compatible with downloading any books. Mine was the one where with 3G could download anywhere in the world with 3G cell service. So that ended about two years ago but the WIFI still worked for downloading at home. Well,the notice I got said in August couldn't download anymore books. Got a discount from Amazon for a new one, $40 in free books, and got the 11th generation paperwhite. Couldn't decide between that and Oasis. After reading reviews bought the paperwhite. Absolutely love it now but when I got it was ready to give it back. Really a big learning curve and still there are things I don't know. It has a wonderful screen , adjusts brightness. Can read in the dark without waking my husband (on a cruise ship). So many reasons to love and weighs less. I didn't try to download when on cruise. I have so many books downloaded. With Amazon Prime you also get new books offered monthly for free. Before I cruise, I download more books.

can still read on my old Kindle but was able to transfer books to new one . Very easy to do it.

Edited by san diego sue

On 4/13/2022 at 6:40 AM, BuckeyeMark said:

Amazon has really good customer service.  Have you talked with them and what do they say?  You'd think wifi is wifi is wifi - wonder why your Kindle won't connect?  I have the Oasis and love it (physical buttons are incredible) and I'll be on a cruise next week (not Princess though) and I'll see if I can make it connect.

If it's a huge issue to you (and it sounds like it is) you could buy a travel router and your Kindle would talk to it, not the ship's wifi.  The travel router connects to the wifi onboard.  Maybe that would work? 

That is not true. There is a whole alphabet soup of versions. Most of it centers around security protocols and that may be the Paperwhite issue.

I've never had a problem with my Kindle fire on a Princess ship (at least nothing that was because of the Kindle instead of the painfully slow Princess wifi).  I assuming tethering would be the same as using your phone as a mobile Hotspot and connecting your Kindle to it?  That's what I do while in port when I need to download more books.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and last year I wanted to download a new book, because I had went thru the ones I had downloaded and one was not very good.  i couldn't get it to connect correctly, so I took it down to the Internet Cafe and the nice gentleman working there said that a lot of people have trouble connecting them, but he was able to connect for me and get the books downloaded.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:39 AM, ReligBookFreak said:

It's NOT a Kindle or Amazon problem. It's the way Princess has configured the Medallion Net. It will NOT work with ANY Kindle. I double-checked with the IT guys onboard the Sky Princess, and they said kindles are NOT compatible with the Medallion Net.

Alan

@BabySarge This has been our experience.  My wife has a Paperwhite and loves it.  I have not been able to download books for her with MedallionNet.  I got into "trouble" because I told her I would be able to get books for her.  Nope, couldn't do it.  Was also told by IT Manager it won't work.  She now loads her Kindle up, and if necessary, I have a Samsung tablet with the Kindle app that she can use in a pinch.  But as @BabySarge says, it is not a Kindle, light, and easy to read.