Grand Suite room service options/strategies

Our next 3 cruises, one Mariner and two Harmony, are in Grand Suites.  We've been in a GS before but never used the free MDR room service option.  We were on Odyssey in March (only in JS) and room service was very slow and frustrating.  Any info on current suite MDR room service? Timely? If you order a full meal, any suggestions for having hot food throughout all courses?  I was told to order appetizers first, then wait a bit and order entrees.  That was before covid and I know everything has changed.  I have some mobility issues and sometimes it's just more comfortable to be in the room. TIA.

What I do is call ahead the order.  It does come all at once however.  If we want to eat at 7pm I order at 530 to be delivered at 7pm.  When I go to workout, I order right before I o and get lunch delivered an hour and a half later. That way you dont have to wait around the room and can go just a little before

• Thanks 1

I don't know how it is today, but, last month room service in the suite was sucky.  They don't bring it in like they used to set it up on the balcony.  That kind of ruins, for us anyway, the best part of suite room service.  Ordering off the MDR menu and enjoying on the balcony.  Hopefully as thing move forward this will improve as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We ordered from the MDR menu (breakfast and late night desert) during our January cruise on Navigator and March B2B on Explorer.

No they don't set it up but that made no difference to us. Delivery wait times varied. Love this option and one of the great perks we enjoyed with our OS. Just remember to check your order quickly before they leave. On Explorer there was always something missing....regardless.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I don't know how it is today, but, last month room service in the suite was sucky.  They don't bring it in like they used to set it up on the balcony.  That kind of ruins, for us anyway, the best part of suite room service.  Ordering off the MDR menu and enjoying on the balcony.  Hopefully as thing move forward this will improve as well.

Totally don't understand the appeal of eating slightly warm or even cold food on the balcony. It's windy, hot, and humid.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We ordered from the MDR menu (breakfast and late night desert) during our January cruise on Navigator and March B2B on Explorer.

No they don't set it up but that made no difference to us. Delivery wait times varied. Love this option and one of the great perks we enjoyed with our OS. Just remember to check your order quickly before they leave. On Explorer there was always something missing....regardless.

Ours was delivered without extra plates and no silverware🤣🤣

Ran over to Chops, but had to wait so they could get a 'Manager' to hear my problem.  He then proceeded to tell me why it wasn't his fault. Took forever. What a joke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It'll all depend on how busy the runners are when you order.

Always take note of your accounts when you order room service from a suite. Even though there's no fee, sometimes they charge you anyway.

Yup, we were charged for our first breakfast order.  GS wasn’t busy so I got it fixed there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Ours was delivered without extra plates and no silverware🤣🤣

Ran over to Chops, but had to wait so they could get a 'Manager' to hear my problem.  He then proceeded to tell me why it wasn't his fault. Took forever. What a joke

We actually stock pile certain items in our cabin. We even kept butter in the fridge :classic_tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Totally don't understand the appeal of eating slightly warm or even cold food on the balcony. It's windy, hot, and humid.

But there are those pleasant days with the wind from the other side.

We do a breakfast on a sea day on the balcony.  Food is reasonably hot, and breakfast is not courses, so no warmed up cold dessert or cooled down hot entree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

We actually stock pile certain items in our cabin. We even kept butter in the fridge :classic_tongue:

On that trip we kept horseradish. It was hard to come by

Currently we keep half and half for the new espresso machines. Fill up a coffee cup with a lid. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, George C said:

We have ordered breakfast a couple of times but not recently, there is no dinning table  in grand suite, food can be incorrect and cold . 

I'm looking at bringing a portable camping table for the world cruise.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A few years ago we were on Freedom with our son and his family. We were in a GS and they were in a JS. The little guy wasn't feeling well enough to go to dinner so we ordered room service on lobster night for the four adults. Brought in the balcony table and chairs, cleared all the crap paper adds off the coffee table, and went to the Solarium bar for a bucket of beers. I had to promise the bartender I wouldn't rat him out for not opening them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Being cooped up indoors for so long makes us really enjoy it.  It's especially nice on nights when you over night or leave port late.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Is laura next door in another family ov solo? 

No, she had an aft on 7, but moved to a deep balcony on 8 off the Centrum. 

Originally she had my cabin, but then decided she wanted a deep balcony for a lounger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Being cooped up indoors for so long makes us really enjoy it.  It's especially nice on nights when you over night or leave port late.

I can see that. We had 8 of 9 sea days on our Allure TA

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No, she had an aft on 7, but moved to a deep balcony on 8 off the Centrum. 

Originally she had my cabin, but then decided she wanted a deep balcony for a lounger

Nice. More space though I prefer upright chairs for reading since I cant lay in the sun. More space is always good. You will be inventing drinks by the time you end the 9 months. 

• Haha 1