equinox and covid

Bstein493

Saw that there have been quite a few cases of covid on the Equinox and we are supposed to be sailing her on May 6th to the ABC's.  Has there been any updated information?  Not sure if we are still going with this up tick.

We re on the same cruise next month. I did see a news station interview a couple just off Equinox that were in Quarantine. The women interviewed stated that the Captain announced about 33 tested positive, but a crew member stated about 100 cases on the ship. The Florida news station posted this yesterday, you can google it and find the interview.

I’m still planning to go as both of us are past Original Covid-19 recovered, fully vaxed and boosted. I admit I’m not comfortable, mostly because I don’t have faith in the numbers I’m hearing and assume the infection rate is higher than reported. My big fear is getting quarantine on deck 3. 
I’ll monitor the next couple of weeks, and make our final decision closer to the cruise.

• Like 3

What type of information are you wanting?  Many ships have cases of Covid and some passengers are testing positive a within a few days of disembarking.  The only way I know to avoid being exposed is to not go anywhere or see anyone.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

What type of information are you wanting?  Many ships have cases of Covid and some passengers are testing positive a within a few days of disembarking.  The only way I know to avoid being exposed is to not go anywhere or see anyone.  

Simple. I’m not being tested at home. I’m not worried about being exposed , but I don’t want to waste thousands of dollars on deck three when I’m asymptomatic. I deal in statistics, and if the infection rate hits 10 % , I’m going to pull the plug and try again later. My complaint is that none of us really know the extent of infections on the ships. Celebrity should be more upfront, but I know I’m dreaming. 

• Like 6

It's time to consider wearing masks on your own again.

We recently were on RCCL Independence of the Seas last month and we decided to wear N95's everywhere outside our room except while eating and while sitting separated from others on the outside deck. By observation, well under 10% of the pax were wearing masks, and that percentage decreased as the cruise went on.

We have since received our second booster. We also have an X cruise scheduled for October. Our plan for now is to go on the cruise and use the N95's as on the last cruise.

Things that would change that thinking:

• Removal of testing requirement. Would cancel.
  • Removal of vaccine requirement. Would cancel.
  • State of per 100K infection rate here in Florida. Would have to make decision based upon information available. Limited information, though. Florida reports only once every 2 weeks now.

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

It's time to consider wearing masks on your own again.

We recently were on RCCL Independence of the Seas last month and we decided to wear N95's everywhere outside our room except while eating and while sitting separated from others on the outside deck. By observation, well under 10% of the pax were wearing masks, and that percentage decreased as the cruise went on.

We have since received our second booster. We also have an X cruise scheduled for October. Our plan for now is to go on the cruise and use the N95's as on the last cruise.

Things that would change that thinking:

• Removal of testing requirement. Would cancel.
  • Removal of vaccine requirement. Would cancel.
  • State of per 100K infection rate here in Florida. Would have to make decision based upon information available. Limited information, though. Florida reports only once every 2 weeks now.

Sounds very logical. What is your tipping point for number of infections per 100,000 people in Florida?

5 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Whatever the numbers are on a ship the percentage is still much lower that on land. I'll take my chances on a ship anytime. Been on 2 cruises since restart, and have 4 more booked.

Agree but in the US no one really cares anymore. On board they are still sticklers and you could end up in quarantine in a crummy cabin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, runningtide said:

Simple. I’m not being tested at home. I’m not worried about being exposed , but I don’t want to waste thousands of dollars on deck three when I’m asymptomatic. I deal in statistics, and if the infection rate hits 10 % , I’m going to pull the plug and try again later. My complaint is that none of us really know the extent of infections on the ships. Celebrity should be more upfront, but I know I’m dreaming. 

I believe if you are quarantined you will receive a pro-rated refund for the days you are there.  I'd roll the dice and if you get it onboard then take your refund.  Why take it in advance if you can still get it later?

22 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I believe if you are quarantined you will receive a pro-rated refund for the days you are there.  I'd roll the dice and if you get it onboard then take your refund.  Why take it in advance if you can still get it later?

Celebrity is ending Covid assistance at the end of this month unless they decide to extend it.

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Celebrity is ending Covid assistance at the end of this month unless they decide to extend it.

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

I believe this needs to end but it will also give pause to a lot of already booked passengers related to what’s being communicated re Covid on board .  Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I believe this needs to end but it will also give pause to a lot of already booked passengers related to what’s being communicated re Covid on board .  Time will tell.

Good friends have a suite out of Amsterdam in May.  If they test positive on the final test they will be denied boarding and told to quarantine.   Thousands of dollars gone.  They are Canadian and to date have found only one policy that would cover the loss of the cruise fare that is 15% of the fare.  Excludes airfare and quarantine expenses.

Agree the policy needs to end, but not sure I would travel very far to cruise with those circumstances. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Good friends have a suite out of Amsterdam in May.  If they test positive on the final test they will be denied boarding and told to quarantine.   Thousands of dollars gone.  They are Canadian and to date have found only one policy that would cover the loss of the cruise fare that is 15% of the fare.  Excludes airfare and quarantine expenses.

Agree the policy needs to end, but not sure I would travel very far to cruise with those circumstances. 

This is a major consideration for my 8/8 Rome cruise. If the policy is not extended to 9/1, I’m most likely to pass. My FP is due 5/10, I hope for clarification by then. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, runningtide said:

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Whatever the numbers are on a ship the percentage is still much lower that on land. I'll take my chances on a ship anytime. Been on 2 cruises since restart, and have 4 more booked.

I fully believe the cruise lines are not being transparent with the actual numbers of cases on the ships. It is not in their best interests to do so.  If the cases were minimal they would be broadcasting the numbers at every opportunity. Since they are quite closed about it, I am inclined to believe the numbers are higher.

Not sure I support a theory that the occurrence rate on a ship would be any less than in the general population. There may be some minor mitigation based on full Vaccination, however, Vaccination only reduces the severity of the infection and does nothing to stop the spread.

We are not prepared to risk thousands of dollars to be confined to stateroom without access to the outside. There are plenty of things to do closer to home without the risk of being quarantined in a foreign country.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lovrccl said:

I agree I think numbers of covid cases are increasing and it's being hushed up. We got it after being on Apex. 😢

Also, there are passengers who are not getting themselves tested onboard when they develop symptoms, particularly when the symptoms are mild. I understand that no one wants to be quarantined after spending so much to travel, but it adds to the problem. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Also, there are passengers who are not getting themselves tested onboard when they develop symptoms, particularly when the symptoms are mild. I understand that no one wants to be quarantined after spending so much to travel, but it adds to the problem. 

Agree.  Covid is still a problem.  People should take precautions and limit exposure .  Most important is for anybody eligible to get the 2nd booster.  We will keep our distance from others and avoid any crowds.  If people in elevator, my mask will go on.

I am curious why people would like to see a policy that protects people and their vacation funds come to an end?   

I have been on 2 cruises since the restart and luckily, both were great with only 1 and 3 known cases respectively.  The only way we would have gone is with this policy, vaccination and testing requirements.  I guess we aren't the gaming types with our money. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TMaine said:

I am curious why people would like to see a policy that protects people and their vacation funds come to an end?   

I have been on 2 cruises since the restart and luckily, both were great with only 1 and 3 known cases respectively.  The only way we would have gone is with this policy, vaccination and testing requirements.  I guess we aren't the gaming types with our money. 

I totally agree. If we are still in the pandemic and cases still present everywhere why is the Covid 19 protection coming to an end April 30? The risk is still there, why should I assume a 100% risk now? My 8/8 cruise on the Beyond with airfare is $10k. Am I to roll the dice? Does Celebrity still expect my FP in three weeks if not extended? 

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I totally agree. If we are still in the pandemic and cases still present everywhere why is the Covid 19 protection coming to an end April 30? The risk is still there, why should I assume a 100% risk now? My 8/8 cruise on the Beyond with airfare is $10k. Am I to roll the dice? Does Celebrity still expect my FP in three weeks if not extended? 

Well, there is travel insurance for those who want to protect their investment and provide for the contingency of quarantine on shore; however, it won’t keep you from being confined in an undesirable cabin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Babr said:

Well, there is travel insurance for those who want to protect their investment and provide for the contingency of quarantine on shore; however, it won’t keep you from being confined in an undesirable cabin.

Insurance is expensive, doesn’t cover airfare in many instances and like you say crummy quarantine cabins.

I just did a search with Forbes: prices for 2 was $1300 to $3000 for total cost coverage etc.

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 1

I’m sure I’ll get blasted or this but my feeling is if they are going to test for Covid before you board, which I am fine with, then they should have a plan if you test positive. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Virginia100 said:

Insurance is expensive, doesn’t cover airfare in many instances and like you say crummy quarantine cabins.

It is expensive for the cruise line to pay for all expenses of quarantine. Apparently, the time has come that they and other paying passengers can’t continue to underwrite people who test positive without impacting the cruising experience for everyone.

The airlines will issue a credit for unused airfare, but it won’t do you much good if you don’t plan to travel again. Some credit card coverage will reimburse expired tickets if purchased with their card.