This is What Happens When You Break Your Ankle on Coco Cay (Not Me!)

8 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

Any lady who’s used a bathroom on CocoCay knows that the one ply roll doesn’t do much! 

And if one doesn't understand how 'one ply' can become 2/4/8 ply,  the risk of breaking an ankle while using the restroom increases significantly.

Edited by bucfan2

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Back Story? I'm thinking maybe she was  hovering and  then went to wipe herself and had all her weight on one ankle, the broken ankle and it just popped !

Anything is possible, especially if there was any cocktails involved.   I haven't worn a full piece suit in many years as tankinis or swim shorts are so much easier to deal with.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:50 AM, LXA350 said:

With those crazy laws, they could probably have sued RCL given it happend on their private island, although maybe that it didn't happen on US ground then not. Hence it's in the interest of th cruiselin to do everything possible and taking over the bill of the ambulance was the natural thing to do.

Given the apparent facts, it was entirely her fault (clumsiness).

• Like 1

Interesting! I was super disappointed with Royal’s response to an injury I got on Freedom back in 2019 - the official excursion bus had exposed metal screws at shin-level juuuust barely sticking out of the seats. I ended up with a 3” slice across my leg and was bleeding like crazy. I told the driver & the Royal customer desk when I got onboard. They both shrugged and said “eh, this happens a lot.” 

I went straight to the infirmary, and was told I could see a doc if I wanted…but I’d have to pay for it (oof, that price). When I pushed, the nurse grudgingly gave me antiseptic and a band-aid, but wasn’t even willing to do that at first. She didn’t even ask if I had a recent tetanus shot. I ended up with a noticeable scar/divot across my shin, which (weirdly!) hurt to the touch for over a year. Oof.

I reached out to Royal again after the cruise to express my concern about safety - they said they’d get back to me, but never did. Wished they’d at least fake-promised to handle it - would have been more reassuring! LOL.

6 hours ago, figs said:

Interesting! I was super disappointed with Royal’s response to an injury I got on Freedom back in 2019 - the official excursion bus had exposed metal screws at shin-level juuuust barely sticking out of the seats. I ended up with a 3” slice across my leg and was bleeding like crazy. I told the driver & the Royal customer desk when I got onboard. They both shrugged and said “eh, this happens a lot.” 

I went straight to the infirmary, and was told I could see a doc if I wanted…but I’d have to pay for it (oof, that price). When I pushed, the nurse grudgingly gave me antiseptic and a band-aid, but wasn’t even willing to do that at first. She didn’t even ask if I had a recent tetanus shot. I ended up with a noticeable scar/divot across my shin, which (weirdly!) hurt to the touch for over a year. Oof.

I reached out to Royal again after the cruise to express my concern about safety - they said they’d get back to me, but never did. Wished they’d at least fake-promised to handle it - would have been more reassuring! LOL.

That sounds painful.   Sorry to hear you went through this😔

6 hours ago, figs said:

Unfortunately many of those tour operators are not under the RCI family.  They are locals that RCI uses for tours and takes their cut...no pun intended.  

There is a form we sign for most of those tours, that absolves RCI for any injuries incured.  I know, I was bitten by a shark on a "swim with the sharks" tour.   We were told they were tame and toothless being Nurse Sharks...but believe me...they do have teeth...small but they are there.  Not serious...but bled a lot.  Had to get out of the water fast.  😉 

I once slipped and fell on an RCCL cruise.  My shoe heel slide out from underneath me going from the wood pool deck into a slick (dry) tile floor inside the ship. Banged and skinned my knee. I was SURROUNDED by crew members in less than 2 minutes.  It was kind of spooky.

The hotel manager asked how I was doing the next evening, and I mentioned the tight fit between the desk and the bed meant I had to kneel on the bed to get by.  We were moved to a Junior Suite the next day.

I also started wearing shoes with non-skid soles on future cruises.

• Like 3