This is What Happens When You Break Your Ankle on Coco Cay (Not Me!)

Pretty interesting youtube video from an unfortunate lady (NOT ME thank goodness!) who was sailing on the Wonder of the Seas who fell in a bathroom on Coco Cay and broke her ankle. You get to see what happens "behind the scenes" with a medical emergency onboard - looks like great service by the crew:

Edited by SeaHunt
clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Did you get a Coco Cast?

Thank heavens this wasn't me! I'll edit my post to make that clear! It was another poor lady who posted a video showing what happened to her. I was impressed with RCI's service and thought others would be too.

• SeaHunt changed the title to This is What Happens When You Break Your Ankle on Coco Cay (Not Me!)
40 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sounds painful!  I wish her a full recovery.   Yes, royal did a great job.   KUDOS to her Hubby too!   And then poor doggy was sick too!

I was really impressed when they ordered an ambulance for her when she couldn't climb into the FLL transfer they arranged for her - and they told her no charge too! 

I felt bad when she said she didn't want to go on the Flowrider because she was afraid of getting hurt, and then ended up on the floor of the restroom in Coco Cay! And then had to maneuver pulling up her wet bathing suit while laying on the floor with a broken ankle yikes. 🙃

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

I was really impressed when they ordered an ambulance for her when she couldn't climb into the FLL transfer they arranged for her - and they told her no charge too! 

It should have been done in the first place.

2 hours ago, rennyn said:

That video was about 25 minutes too long, but there's some good info spread around there.

At least he never mentioned "Like and Subscribe". :classic_smile: I don't think I would want to share my personal life, but it was interesting to see the cruise ship aspect of it. How miserable! 

I remember when I broke my ankle and they just sent me home for 3 days with an ice bag and pain pills and crutches until the swelling went down and they could put a cast on it. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I felt bad when she said she didn't want to go on the Flowrider because she was afraid of getting hurt, and then ended up on the floor of the restroom in Coco Cay! And then had to maneuver pulling up her wet bathing suit while laying on the floor with a broken ankle yikes. 🙃

With those crazy laws, they could probably have sued RCL given it happend on their private island, although maybe that it didn't happen on US ground then not. Hence it's in the interest of th cruiselin to do everything possible and taking over the bill of the ambulance was the natural thing to do.

9 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I haven't watched the video.....are you telling me that she broke her ankle in the stall while using the toilet?? How does that happen?? Platform flip flops??

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I haven't watched the video.....are you telling me that she broke her ankle in the stall while using the toilet?? How does that happen?? Platform flip flops??

I watched some of the video.  She was pulling up her full piece bathing suit and sounds like she must have got her foot stuck on the suit while putting back on then slipped / lost her footing and must have twisted her foot while falling.

Bone snapped out of place and her  Foot was snapping in and out of place so she needed surgery when she got back home to CA.    

• Like 1

I broke my foot in the CL on Brilliance a couple of years ago, tripped over bad flooring they told me needed to be replaced.  First night of the 7 night cruise.  

For some reason I did not get a full 25 minute video!!   😮 😮  😉 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I watched some of the video.  She was pulling up her full piece bathing suit and sounds like she must have got her foot stuck on the suit while putting back on then slipped / lost her footing and must have twisted her foot while falling.

Bone snapped out of place and her  Foot was snapping in and out of place so she needed surgery when she got back home to CA.    

Ouf, sounds painful....and embarrassing. Hope she has a speedy recovery. 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I broke my foot in the CL on Brilliance a couple of years ago, tripped over bad flooring they told me needed to be replaced.  First night of the 7 night cruise.  

For some reason I did not get a full 25 minute video!!   😮 😮  😉 😄 

What's the going rate for that or do they just make you an automatic Pinnacle and avoid the lawsuit?? 

14 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

What's the going rate for that or do they just make you an automatic Pinnacle and avoid the lawsuit?? 

LOL.   I was awarded a free pair of crutches...use of one of their wheel chairs...a shower stool, ice delivered to the cabin daily, and plenty of Tylenol.   Whoo-hoo!  😁   For some reason I never received a medical bill either.  😉 

Not a "sewer" kind of gal.   Poop happens.  😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:32 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm gonna guess the going rate would be a large negative number for their lawyer bills when they lose LOL Nobody is going to award money to someone for tripping on their own swim suit because the ground was slightly wet - at a beach resort.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rennyn said:

I'm gonna guess the going rate would be a large negative number for their lawyer bills when they lose LOL Nobody is going to award money to someone for tripping on their own swim suit because the ground was slightly wet - at a beach resort.

No no, I was asking the woman who broke her foot in the CL on bad flooring that she was told needed to replacing for quite some time, a known issue if you will.  

Breaking your ankle falling while pulling your bathing suit up after going to the bathroom at a beach resort......that's gotta be on you. 

I must add that regular resistance training helps ward off osteoporosis and actually strengthens bones. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:23 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Back Story? I'm thinking maybe she was  hovering and  then went to wipe herself and had all her weight on one ankle, the broken ankle and it just popped !

Edited by Jimbo