Paying for cruise with credit card?

A question for experienced Australian cruisers. The balance of my payment for a Princess cruise is due soon. I have two choices. One is to pay by credit card and the other is a "POLi payment", which will save the credit card fee.  I don't need to pay by credit card in order to get the attached travel insurance, as I have a separate policy.  But I am concerned about two things: one is the possibility of foreign currency exchange fees  and the other is the extra protection of the credit card payment if something should go wrong.   What would you do?

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

A question for experienced Australian cruisers. The balance of my payment for a Princess cruise is due soon. I have two choices. One is to pay by credit card and the other is a "POLi payment", which will save the credit card fee.  I don't need to pay by credit card in order to get the attached travel insurance, as I have a separate policy.  But I am concerned about two things: one is the possibility of foreign currency exchange fees  and the other is the extra protection of the credit card payment if something should go wrong.   What would you do?

If you make payment to a TA by your credit card you may have to pay fees but if booking direct to the cruise line normally no fees if paying by debit card…..credit card attracts a fee

I'm not too sure why you are worrying about foreign exchange fees. I nearly always do my bookings direct with Princess and the costs are in A$ and I would pay the balance by credit card. Yes there is a credit card fee but no exchange rate issues. I have never had any problems. If you are dealing through a Travel Agent I would think you would have even less concerns as you would be paying Princess through your TA. I'm sorry but I don't understand your reference to 'POLi payment'.

AS you are paying an Australian TA in A$ there are no forex fees to worry about. Yes in theory the CC will give you added protections - but assuming your TA is bonded (check) then any payments  made to them should be guaranteed surely? 

POLI is payment direct from a bank account 

Paying by credit card doesn't give you chargeback protection. It is in the T&C's of most cruise lines.

There are no foreign conversion fees for debit/credit card BUT many banks/institutions charge an overseas transaction fee. We have had our onboard account charged in $AU, but processed by banks in the US (Princess) and the UK (P&O). This shouldn't happen when booking, as they are operating like a travel agency within Australia.

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Some banks charge a fee to electronically transfer funds to another bank. Our bank (ANZ) charges $28. I don't object to the 1.1% credit card fee.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Some banks charge a fee to electronically transfer funds to another bank. Our bank (ANZ) charges $28. I don't object to the 1.1% credit card fee.

First time hearing this..... Never happened to me. Surely you're being ripped off by ANZ? I have accounts at CBA, Bankwest & Bank of Mel, my work involves me using NAB and Westpac and none of these ever charges for EFT transfer.

Michael

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eamondzhang said:

First time hearing this..... Never happened to me. Surely you're being ripped off by ANZ? I have accounts at CBA, Bankwest & Bank of Mel, my work involves me using NAB and Westpac and none of these ever charges for EFT transfer.

Michael

I am with ANZ, I often give money to my kids by transfer through on line banking, never been hit a fee.

44 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I am with ANZ, I often give money to my kids by transfer through on line banking, never been hit a fee.

My dinosaur of a husband won't do on-line banking. He goes into the bank. I am sure that ANZ charges $28 for an electronic transfer. Yesterday we transferred a significant sum to one of our sons who needs it for emergency home repairs. Our son's bank (Suncorp) doesn't charge a fee, but that doesn't help us.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My dinosaur of a husband won't do on-line banking. He goes into the bank. I am sure that ANZ charges $28 for an electronic transfer. Yesterday we transferred a significant sum to one of our sons who needs it for emergency home repairs. Our son's bank (Suncorp) doesn't charge a fee, but that doesn't help us.

Yes, it's the "walking in" to do the transfer that has a fee. 

We do all banking online with ANZ and set up a larger "pay anyone" with our online banking for the larger amounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you go into the ANZ branch to transfer $ there could be a fee, but not EFT on line with ANZ. Same with direct debit, I have all my my bills, rates, water, electricity, phone/internet etc direct debited from ANZ a/c, no fee. With all due respect tell your better half it is 2022, get with the on line banking, best thing since sliced bread, lol.  Tell him Uncle Les is a dino and he can handle it, lol.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

If you go into the ANZ branch to transfer $ there could be a fee, but not EFT on line with ANZ. Same with direct debit, I have all my my bills, rates, water, electricity, phone/internet etc direct debited from ANZ a/c, no fee. With all due respect tell your better half it is 2022, get with the on line banking, best thing since sliced bread, lol.  Tell him Uncle Les is a dino and he can handle it, lol.

He also won't do on-line supermarket shopping. When we had to go into lock-down because I tested positive for COVID, our daughter delivered the essentials, but remaining at a great distance from us.

I sympathise, but he is putting a burden on other people, and it is costing him money and time. Sometimes it is hard to change, but online banking is so much more convenient. The main thing is to ensure you have the best virus protection on your computer, and keep it up to date (you can do this automatically). Then pick a really good password, which no-one will ever guess, (because it's the name of your pet plus your child's date of birth or similar!)  Unfortunately, for those tech challenged, everything these days is trending towards internet use.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He also won't do on-line supermarket shopping. When we had to go into lock-down because I tested positive for COVID, our daughter delivered the essentials, but remaining at a great distance from us.

Oh dear, he needs a shake up/reality check with all due respect.🤐

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Then pick a really good password, which no-one will ever guess, (because it's the name of your pet plus your child's date of birth or similar!)  

you mean spike231090 is not safe enough? 🙂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

He can be very set in his ways. I have to just roll with it.

I remember the days of going to the bank, then driving from location to location with cheques to pay the utilities and loans. I used to waste an afternoon every other week on payday. 10 minutes per month from home was a great motivator to evolve.

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I remember the days of going to the bank, then driving from location to location with cheques to pay the utilities and loans. I used to waste an afternoon every other week on payday. 10 minutes per month from home was a great motivator to evolve.

We have our bills aid either by an direct debit. Other items (purchases, cruises etc) are paid by credit card. This unusual payment was made by electronic transfer. My husband didn't want to withdraw a large sum of money and walk to our son's bank with it. Anyway, we are pretty sure the bank would not have had sufficient cash on hand.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He can be very set in his ways. I have to just roll with it.

My husband is exactly the same. I have no idea what he will do if I kick the bucket first. He will probably get my daughters to do the banking.

14 hours ago, cruisine21 said:

My husband is exactly the same. I have no idea what he will do if I kick the bucket first. He will probably get my daughters to do the banking.

Best he learns re banking then. My wife died almost two years ago and was an ex Commonwealth Bank Officer, so naturally she did most of the banking. But I quickly learnt to do it on my own, chucked the credit card, don't need the Qantas FF points any more and the 'free credit card travel insurance insurance was no longer available to me, as refused cover.   I just go with the ANZ Visa Debit.   

If you don't mind me saying, you never know what is around the corner. Likewise cooking, I have always cooked dinner when not at work, I like cooking, so that was not a problem.  I know of some blokes my age who's wife/partner passed away and they are struggling to to cook a piece of toast.

• Like 1

To get back to the original question [!]...

To avoid paying the 1.1% credit card fee [which can mount up if your final balance is a big one], you can pay directly from your bank account using the BSB facility.

When you go to "pay balance" in Princess cruises, it will give the BSB details you need to use ; take a careful note of them and then go to your online banking and make the payment via BSB.

You can print a receipt, or take the details down, but in any case soon after the payment is made [note that it may not be until that evening] Princess will email your your receipt.

Also if paying for a Princess booking when you go to "make a payment" you can select credit card but put in a debit card number and have no surcharge applied.  Also it allows you to select how much you wish to pay by letting you amend the amount owing so you can pay it off however you want.

I don't think this can be done with P&O.  There you cannot amend the amount owed.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:11 AM, NSWP said:

Best he learns re banking then. My wife died almost two years ago and was an ex Commonwealth Bank Officer, so naturally she did most of the banking. But I quickly learnt to do it on my own, chucked the credit card, don't need the Qantas FF points any more and the 'free credit card travel insurance insurance was no longer available to me, as refused cover.   I just go with the ANZ Visa Debit.   

If you don't mind me saying, you never know what is around the corner. Likewise cooking, I have always cooked dinner when not at work, I like cooking, so that was not a problem.  I know of some blokes my age who's wife/partner passed away and they are struggling to to cook a piece of toast.

Sincere sympathy, Les.  I wasn't aware of your situation.  I really admire your positive attitude and the way you've adapted.  We'll all have to have that coffee one day....or a bite at the new "Donegans" (forget the new name).  We like Raymonds too.

Linda

• Like 1

Back on topic...we just do an online electronic transfer to our TA;  usually this is for the balance of a cruise, or airfares, etc.  We usually go to see her in person for the initial cruise deposit, because we sit down and nut out all the various flight possibilities, etc.  I do all our overseas and airport hotel reservations through (usually) booking.com.  Your husband just needs to realise how much easier it is.  If it's security he's worried about, I think we all had those initial reservations years ago.  Now though, I shudder when I recall how I would telephone the wages break-up (for our business) every week to our Bank, then drive over and collect that large sum in all its denominations.  Same time, same day, every week.  Now that was not secure.  Our son now runs the business (3rd generation) and simply presses a button once a week.  Same action for the group certificates at the end of the financial year.  I used to spend hours, sometimes days, trying to balance exactly so I could write out the certificates😬  Things have definitely changed for the better.  Tell your husband it's a bit like washboards by the river and washing machines in the laundry.