RCI Beverage package increases

22 minutes ago, losfp said:

Do the RCI soft drink packages tend to vary so much as well? Just curious because if we go RCI next year, we would likely only get soft drink packages because we don't drink much alcohol.

Yep, all over the place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr walker said:

this is us too, although I usually get a coffee card also - we are on holidays after all, and as they say, life's too short for poor coffee! 🙂 

Is it allowed to use the one coffee card for two drinks at the same time. We will be on a 9night cruise and, while we do like a coffee, don't usually drink more than per day.

1 hour ago, valantine80 said:

Is it allowed to use the one coffee card for two drinks at the same time. We will be on a 9night cruise and, while we do like a coffee, don't usually drink more than per day.

Yes

On 4/23/2022 at 9:14 AM, SuitesRbest said:

There is no Drinks+WIFI package available

In my planner their is but only with the Soda package???? Strange.

Also I have noticed the prices seem linked to currency fluctuations? which I have not seen before, maybe a new system from RCI?  As they were not when we were booked on the Radiance, all prices for ALL packages were static in A$ on that cruise as i noted them down when we first booked (As i did with new Ovation sailing and why i noticed this change), so as well as hoping for discounts to occur, you also need to take into account currency risk, if you think the A$ will have a big fall this year and want a package maybe lock it in now, you can always cancel, if you think its going to go up then hold back for a special deal etc

Premium package most of last week had been the equivalent of about A$89.5 a day, but today its now just over A$91 as the A$ has fallen from around 75 cents to 73, all the other packages have changed as well, 3 night dining package for example is now A$4 more etc

Lets hope the A$ gets stronger 🙏Although i have hedged myself a bit, decided wont go with the package but exchanged the eqivelant of US$600 when the A$ was 75 cents, worked out using the calculator link posted earlier in this thread our potential drinks bill and using current pricing a spend its US$1000-1200 for the cruise, so half of that is locked in at 75 cents, also booked only 1 speciality restaurant booking (had the 3 night package on Radiance for A$121), the same package on Ovation is now A$165 (and changes daily with currency!!), so not much saving unless used at Chops Grill only, booked Izumi for A$47 each.

Edited by Hammer61

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

In my planner their is but only with the Soda package???? Strange.

Also I have noticed the prices seem linked to currency fluctuations? which I have not seen before, maybe a new system from RCI?  As they were not when we were booked on the Radiance, all prices for ALL packages were static in A$ on that cruise as i noted them down when we first booked (As i did with new Ovation sailing and why i noticed this change), so as well as hoping for discounts to occur, you also need to take into account currency risk, if you think the A$ will have a big fall this year and want a package maybe lock it in now, you can always cancel, if you think its going to go up then hold back for a special deal etc

Premium package most of last week had been the equivalent of about A$89.5 a day, but today its now just over A$91 as the A$ has fallen from around 75 cents to 73, all the other packages have changed as well, 3 night dining package for example is now A$4 more etc

Lets hope the A$ gets stronger 🙏Although i have hedged myself a bit, decided wont go with the package but exchanged the eqivelant of US$600 when the A$ was 75 cents, worked out using the calculator link posted earlier in this thread our potential drinks bill and using current pricing a spend its US$1000-1200 for the cruise, so half of that is locked in at 75 cents, also booked only 1 speciality restaurant booking (had the 3 night package on Radiance for A$121), the same package on Ovation is now A$165 (and changes daily with currency!!), so not much saving unless used at Chops Grill only, booked Izumi for A$47 each.

Royal used to set a price for the season, presumably by doing their own hedging. Looks like it is whatever the exchange is on the day now. 

So those of you whose cruise is nearer than mine (mine is end of January to NZ) - you're seeing prices closer to "normal" ie $80 - $100 for the Deluxe Package? It is $146 a day in mine!!  

And I was never really intending to get it as I have 5 port days on my cruise, but the other prices have likewise gone up ridiculously - internet, refreshment etc.   I'm hoping it's only because there is still so long to go? I wonder what it will look like for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales this year.

Edited by M-H-B
Typo

On 4/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, adelaidefc said:

I have a 6-night cruise booked for November on Quantum of the Seas. It's been booked a while and I've been following the drinks package prices very carefully in the trip planner over the last few months. 

Generally the daily price has hovered around $80-85AUD, with a claim "25% off RRP" - making the RRP around $105ish. I was hoping for some currency fluctuations and a special to drop the price below $80. 

When I checked today, the price has skyrocketed to $107, but still claiming "25% off" with an RRP of $143. 

Wondering if others could check their planner and see what RCI are offering to them. I was lucky enough to have a package in my cart at $80ish/day, and that pricing stuck. So I purchased it for now just as an insurance policy. 

I've never sailed Royal before, and from what I've read, depending on the AUD/USD exchange rate, drinks onboard can be very pricey indeed. 

It was about $103 today. I paid AU$67.72 in 2019 on Ovation, and AU$64.72 in 2018 on Explorer. Definitely not paying $100 on my next cruise, especially as I get older and drink bit less. Just keep watching the prices. Buy low, and if it gets lower, you can cancel your purchase and buy it again. 

17 hours ago, plettza said:

The price for my cruise jumped up $150 /per person for the cruise so for each person $1850 give or take.

I would keep an eye on it, prices seem to be linked to the currency movements now, not set for a fixed period, so if the exchange rate starts moving higher for the $A then that price will come down, A$ was about 75 cents about 10 days ago, now its closer to 71.

If the $A keeps falling before you depart you have done well, if it goes up, then cancel and re book! 

The percentage discount keeps changing as well i think? The cruise im booked on was im sure saying it was a 25% discount on the PBP last week? now its 20% 

Edited by Hammer61

Something weird is going on ,I don’t know what.

I got the Internet the other day for $22 ,I have a OBC to use but I thought it’s got to go down,I’ll get anyway.   It’s now $30.
 Specialty dining at $40-$50 ,Booze packages are insane,nothing under $100.

I’m glad I have my 5 C&A drinks each day.

I’m not sure what the thinking is from RCI for these big hikes in Beverage and Dinning packages? Other lines seem far more reasonable, If I had booked Celebrity, a beverage package is included, granted I pay a higher fare but given these price hikes it may have been worth the extra dollars, if Princess, it seems more reasonably priced and not everyone in the cabin has to book it, my wife doesn’t drink, even the refreshment package is now nearly A$50 a day!!!!! Then we have Virgin entering the scene, they don’t have beverage packages but drinks are pretty reasonable, a beer for example that is US$8 plus 18% on RCI is US$5 on Virgin inclusive.

I will still enjoy my trip I hope and just pay as I go, will likely drink a less which is maybe a good thing, but even if I really enjoy the trip etc I will think twice before booking RCI again, its not like they are significantly better than similar lines, in some respects the new entrant in Virgin looks the best bet to try next, pay one fare, all dining included, reasonable priced drinks, good entertainment etc and all the reports are very positive.

2 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

I’m not sure what the thinking is from RCI for these big hikes in Beverage and Dinning packages? 

Yep. We've decided we're likely to cancel this cruise and wear the non refundable deposit cost. I had locked in the drinks package at a more reasonable price (around $80ish), but a different guest will be accompanying me. Name change for the guest on the cruise itself is free at the moment, but RCI told me they couldn't change the name on the package or just cancel one of them, and I'd have to cancel drinks package and rebook at current rate . 

No point gambling on it going down again. That, combined with other logistics just make it all too hard. 

Carnival have offered $450 OBC for a prior cancellation, so I'll take that offer on a fun short trip on Splendor.

I think we maybe on the same cruise, and have noticed the drinks pkg prices are higher then normal... It is still early tho and you may find the price comes down around the 90 day mark????.  Our past experience has been not paid more then $24 per day for the refreshment and around $7-8 per day for the soda pkg... Cant speak on the alcohol as we are non drinkers now hehehe, locking in the price you have now is good idea cause if it does lower in price you can always cancel and rebuy it at lower price (just remember monies coming back to you may take a loooong time, i think around 45 daysish)

18 hours ago, surferman123 said:

I think we maybe on the same cruise, and have noticed the drinks pkg prices are higher then normal... It is still early tho and you may find the price comes down around the 90 day mark????.  

Unfortunately at the 90 day mark it's too late to cancel. There are few factors, mainly that my travel partner can't come, and that I can't find anyone who is willing to pay their half (most of my friends are avid cruise haters even pre-covid).

And even if I did, RCI told me I couldn't keep the drinks package at the price I locked in, I'd have to rebook it with new guest.  

• 3 weeks later...

Booked 2 Europe cruises for Oct 2023 - Excitement high!

Browsing the drinks and internet package prices - Enthusiasm now waning 🙂 

We have months to go at least, so I can wait and see what end of year sales bring. If it's simply not worth it, we can go for a week or two without internet (have booked a 7 day and a 15 day back to back-ish) and PAYG for drinks.

The constant fluctuations are annoying, and also the prices differ between the two cruises we've booked - I don't know if it's to do with the ships being different, or the itinerary or....?

3 hours ago, losfp said:

Booked 2 Europe cruises for Oct 2023 - Excitement high!

Browsing the drinks and internet package prices - Enthusiasm now waning 🙂 

We have months to go at least, so I can wait and see what end of year sales bring. If it's simply not worth it, we can go for a week or two without internet (have booked a 7 day and a 15 day back to back-ish) and PAYG for drinks.

The constant fluctuations are annoying, and also the prices differ between the two cruises we've booked - I don't know if it's to do with the ships being different, or the itinerary or....?

Their sales are pretty unpredictable but thanksgiving sales are a good bet.

If you can’t get a good deal on the Internet,maybe look in to global roaming for when you are in port.

I believe these are current drinks prices,$US plus 18% gratuity I believe.

So add roughly 50%.

E02826E0-BAA9-407D-8F47-9B6D3561998E.thumb.png.f6a62089c661a054521a92752919ed7e.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prices seem to have dropped, the deluxe beverage package now has a 30% discount, still works out at about $88 a day or $1674 for the 19 night Transpacific on Ovation of the Seas in October, last week it was over $1900🤯 If i could get it just for me then maybe i would but they insist on every person in the same cabin having a package of some sort.

They told me i can get it if my wife gets the refreshment package but thats $754 or $40 a day, so a combined $2428🤑  but even that is wasted on her, all she really drinks is a single coffee each morning and then Water and Green Tea the rest of the day or with meals!

17 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Prices seem to have dropped, the deluxe beverage package now has a 30% discount, still works out at about $88 a day or $1674 for the 19 night Transpacific on Ovation of the Seas in October, last week it was over $1900🤯 If i could get it just for me then maybe i would but they insist on every person in the same cabin having a package of some sort.

They told me i can get it if my wife gets the refreshment package but thats $754 or $40 a day, so a combined $2428🤑  but even that is wasted on her, all she really drinks is a single coffee each morning and then Water and Green Tea the rest of the day or with meals!

Pay as you go.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Think of all the grog you could buy in Dan Murphy's for $2428, eek.

Pay as you go unless you are a real heavy drinker on the ships from morning to night. 

At the moment for my two booked cruises (Greek Isles on Explorer, Transatlantic on Odyssey), it's showing me:

Explorer: 12.32/41.10

Odyssey: 15.87/51.36

for the soda/refreshment packages.

I feel like we'll probably just go soda and then get coffee cards. Would love to be able to pick up bottled water, but the price difference is ridiculous.

Not even considering the unlimited drinks package. In normally circumstances we are basically non-drinkers so it's not even remotely worth it (at best I would have 1-2 drinks a day on holiday)

8 minutes ago, losfp said:

At the moment for my two booked cruises (Greek Isles on Explorer, Transatlantic on Odyssey), it's showing me:

I feel like we'll probably just go soda and then get coffee cards. Would love to be able to pick up bottled water, but the price difference is ridiculous.

Not even considering the unlimited drinks package. In normally circumstances we are basically non-drinkers so it's not even remotely worth it (at best I would have 1-2 drinks a day on holiday)

Why buy bottled water? The water on cruiseships is probably as pure or even better than that in bottled water.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Why buy bottled water? The water on cruiseships is probably as pure or even better than that in bottled water.

That's a fair point - I guess it's nice to have a bottle that you can pop the lid on instead of having a cup that you have to either drink or carry/leave. But it's not a deal breaker either way. For that price difference I'm more than happy to drink the provided tap water.

we are booked on 4 b2b in November non drinkers i would normally get refreshment package and the wife drinks nothing but coke so the soda package but now RCL seem to have over priced themselves and am seeing a trend of most now opting for going without or coffee cards only shame really there is something special feeling having yr chosen package and not having to think about cost of each drink especially on longer cruises.

2 hours ago, losfp said:

Cafe promenade has filtered water and also windjammers.

Just fill a bottle.

And if you want a free cappuccino just wait outside the diamond or suites lounge and tailgate someone going in .

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1