If you had a doubt, Yes they are watching

makai 7

Yes, "Management" at Oceania Cruise Lines do have people monitoring these boards, even though they do not show themselves as an active presence here.

How do I know this?  I was on the March 8-18 Riviera cruise, and posted a comment on KJBacon's thread (linked below) on March 13 regarding some of the experiences we (a group of 6 traveling together) had in the various restaurants.  I made both positive and negative comments.  I said that service in Polo was Excellent, and service in Toscana was second rate, and outlined the issues we had in Toscana.

Imagine my surprise when I found a note in my cabin after breakfast one morning "calling me to the principal's office" that evening at 5:30.  It was a request to meet with the F&B manager and some other officers in a conference room.  No explanation for the reason.  We already had plans that evening and chose not to go.  We had no idea what it was about.  I received a call in my cabin asking me to confirm that I would attend, and I declined because of our prior plans.  There was no suggestion to reschedule the meeting and no explanation again why we were asked to attend.

When we returned to our cabin after dinner and a pleasant evening with our friends, there was a plate of sweets, a bottle of wine, and a note apologizing for our "terrible experience in Polo Grille".  We were very confused, since we did not have a terrible experience in Polo Grille, we did not fill out a comment card, and we did not speak to anyone regarding Polo or any other restaurant on board.

The next morning we went to Guest Services to ask if there had been a cabin mix-up and after checking, he told us that "Home Office" monitors the boards for complaints and tells the ship's crew to follow up and resolve issues.  Specifically they were checking to make sure guests did not make comments on the internet that went against the "Tag line" for Oceania Cruise Lines.

So... Big Brother is watching, but unfortunately they didn't get it right!  They did not offer the 6 of us another reservation in Toscana (the restaurant with the "fail") or even Polo Grill, where everything was good but somehow they decided we weren't happy with our meal.  They didn't try to reschedule to a time to meet that was convenient for us.

If you are reading this, Oceania Home Office - Please read carefully so you have the right information to share with the ship, and Shipboard Management - please make the effort for other guests in the future to "get it right" and work with them to reschedule a meeting if a meeting really is important to you, and please offer new restaurant reservations for the entire table to try again....

• Like 3

Maybe because you declined the invitation to meet with the staff  they felt you were not interested in a resolution

JMO

We have complained about some things usually in the comment card or directly in writing to the Concierge  but we took the time to speak to those involved to correct the situation

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

Yes, "Management" at Oceania Cruise Lines do have people monitoring these boards, even though they do not show themselves as an active presence here.

When Mike Moore headed up IT at Oceania (before moving over to Regent), he was an active presence on the CC Oceania forum, particularly when the O website was overhauled several years ago. Other O managers MAY OCCASIONALLY peruse the posts here, particularly if alerted to an issue by a long time O “regular.” But there is no organized “CC watch” over every O thread, especially since CC activity re: Oceania represents, at most, a single digit percentage of their passenger base.

Since your post appears to be related to a “Live from...” thread, it is reasonable to assume that some O F&B crew member on that ship may have followed it (even if just out of curiosity) and read your comment. Then alerting a shipboard manager seems like a reasonable action and that might have led to a bit of quick sleuthing by a maitre d’ regarding who, what, where, the results of which were easily lost in translation. 

The lesson from this is, as always, let a maitre d’ know if you are displeased or otherwise concerned about your dining experience. Any reasonable issue will be fixed.

BTW: interesting about Toscana vs Polo. Over the years, our experience has been somewhat  the opposite with Toscana always being the more consistent experience.

This is helpful to know. Also, while many posters would be identifiable to Oceania staff monitoring the board, since cabin category, home towns and occasionally names are listed, they cannot always be sure they are identifying the complaining party.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Twiga said:

I'm curious..........How did Oceania know the name of OP, Makai 7?

Very easy to figure out who we are as very very few people onboard O ships are active on cruise critic.

• Like 1

All good cruise lines monitor cruise critic. Many years ago, I posted on another forum here and while speaking to a customer rep for that line, she mentioned I must be cruisedreamer! I urge all cruisers to write their opinions on the mid cruise review so that the crew can make it right! It can't be fixed if the management does not know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Twiga said:

There is probably enough info in the OP  for the staff onboard to figure out who they are 😉

We once reported someone while we were on the pool deck about an infraction..staff tracked us down LOL

In the early days Frank Del Rio, who founded Oceania and is now CEO of NCL Corp, was regularly on line on Cruise Critic communicating. When we were on Marina for the Miami crossing a few weeks ago he and Howard Sherman, current Oceania CEO accepted our offer to join our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet before we sailed to speak to the group and answer questions. It was a frank and helpful session and he talked about his Cruise Critic days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

In the early days Frank Del Rio, who founded Oceania and is now CEO of NCL Corp, was regularly on line on Cruise Critic communicating. When we were on Marina for the Miami crossing a few weeks ago he and Howard Sherman, current Oceania CEO accepted our offer to join our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet before we sailed to speak to the group and answer questions. It was a frank and helpful session and he talked about his Cruise Critic days.

Yes we always enjoyed his participation in the forum

Sadly that ended with the merging with  NCL 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But there is no organized “CC watch” over every O thread, especially since CC activity re: Oceania represents, at most, a single digit percentage of their passenger base.

And where is your data for this? Is this another "studied opinion" i.e., just what you think? In my opinion,😂 for every person posting on CC there are at least 5 that are lurking & learning. Many, many times on Roll Calls you see people coming out of the woodwork that rarely ever post. You also see people joining private tours that don't even post on the Roll Call, yet will contact the organizer of the tour. 

There has been more than one instance where someone has mentioned something here on CC and the ship's staff have followed up. I made a post about a almost non existent GM once, and later in the cruise he was engaged in a conversation as we passed by in the hallway, he looked at me with recognition, interrupted the lady he was talking to and said, " Hi how are you, Mr. W." Trust me, he knew what I'd posted. 

Big companies monitoring of social media and review sites is very real. Just look at hotel management's response to reviews on Trip Advisor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes we always enjoyed his participation in the forum

Sadly that ended with the merging with  NCL 

Wow I wonder whos monitoring the board now??

Jancruz1

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Twiga said:

Good question!  I asked the same question- how did they know it was me? I did not get a good answer.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe because you declined the invitation to meet with the staff  they felt you were not interested in a resolution

JMO

We have complained about some things usually in the comment card or directly in writing to the Concierge  but we took the time to speak to those involved to correct the situation

YMMV

We were not looking for anyone to do anything when I commented on cruise critic.  I intentionally did not speak with anyone or fill out the comment card because I did not want to get fussed over or hear excuses. I expected good service and experience from Oceania since that is their “Tag Line”.  I should not get it only if I complain.  Everyone on board should have excellent service.

I had no idea why I was asked to go to a meeting, it was never explained to me, and I was not given a choice to reschedule when I told them I already had plans at the time for the meeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We especially liked Mike Moore (?) the head IT guy’s participation. Unfortunately, that has likewise ceased! 

Mike is regularly on the Regent forum.  Their web site needs much more work than O's does. 

2 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

We were not looking for anyone to do anything when I commented on cruise critic.  I intentionally did not speak with anyone or fill out the comment card because I did not want to get fussed over or hear excuses. I expected good service and experience from Oceania since that is their “Tag Line”.  I should not get it only if I complain.  Everyone on board should have excellent service.

If there is  a problem onboard  they do really want to know so they can make it right

Yes in a perfect world everyone onboard should be treated royally  but   not sure the World is perfect yet  😉

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

Good question!  I asked the same question- how did they know it was me? I did not get a good answer.

Lest we forget: your picture in the onboard data base is connected to your name. Even though you may not have made a big deal, a good Maitre d’ senses “issues” including any unacceptable behaviors of his staff. If s/he was also (and independently) displeased with the performance that irked you, that could generate a next day apology to any/all at that table.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

And where is your data for this? Is this another "studied opinion" i.e., just what you think? In my opinion,😂 for every person posting on CC there are at least 5 that are lurking & learning. Many, many times on Roll Calls you see people coming out of the woodwork that rarely ever post. You also see people joining private tours that don't even post on the Roll Call, yet will contact the organizer of the tour. 

There has been more than one instance where someone has mentioned something here on CC and the ship's staff have followed up. I made a post about a almost non existent GM once, and later in the cruise he was engaged in a conversation as we passed by in the hallway, he looked at me with recognition, interrupted the lady he was talking to and said, " Hi how are you, Mr. W." Trust me, he knew what I'd posted. 

Big companies monitoring of social media and review sites is very real. Just look at hotel management's response to reviews on Trip Advisor. 

Ever been to an O roll call arranged M&G?

The “busiest” one I’ve ever seen was about 50 people (including significant others/traveling companions of CC participants). More often, the number is closer to 30+\-. Even on the R ships (and considering that some folks don’t attend), that suggests a very low rate of O cruisers (new or veteran) who use (or even just lurk) on CC. And FWIW, I’ve had many conversations onboard with folks who had no knowledge of Cruise Critic.

That said, there have been several similar estimates over the years here on CC that suggested a <10% rate of passenger use of CC. 
In any case, it’s irrelevant. With it’s still greatly reduced home office staff, Oceania is in no position to waste precious human resources on monitoring an internet chatroom.

3 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

.... I urge all cruisers to write their opinions on the mid cruise review so that the crew can make it right! It can't be fixed if the management does not know.

I agree!

Last cruise I noted something on the mid cruise comment card, nothing negative, just some minor feedback.  The next evening while exiting Jacques the hostess asked me for clarification.  So yes, they do read them!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, makai 7 said:

Beth and Kevin: I just found out your names (also found your last name through your yahoo email address) based on posts you made recently in the Regent forum. It doesn't take a hacker to look at your posts and find it. That could be how Oceania found your name and cabin number from you Makai screen name.

4 minutes ago, NattilyAttired said:

Beth and Kevin: I just found out your names (also found your last name through your yahoo email address) based on posts you made recently in the Regent forum. It doesn't take a hacker to look at your posts and find it. That could be how Oceania found your name and cabin number from you Makai screen name.

Seriously - LOL. Do you honestly think someone at Oceania is going to jump through that many hoops?

Staff member saw/sensed something wrong, matched table to person with picture, manager followed up. Not rocket science.

@Makai 7 

IMHO you missed a great opportunity to help the ship staff address a deficiency in their level of service and it would have helped everyone on board if you had shared your concerns. When it comes to anything under the auspices of the F&B Director with whom you had an opportunity to meet directly with, you really dropped the ball. You were not being called to the Principal’s office to be ganged up on, but being given the chance to explain where they failed in your opinion. It was a teaching moment for the F&B, their Assistant, perhaps the Executive Chef, whomever needed to hear about your concerns. 
We have shared concerns verbally or in a survey on numerous occasions and found the staff overly receptive to resolving the issue. Once we were having a meal in Privee with guests and my meal was less than satisfactory and I mentioned it to our dedicated waiter and it was immediately handled. On a recent cruise last fall we were in Polo with a group of 8 and my Filet was grisly and definitely substandard. When we were done with dinner I stopped and privately talked to the Maitre d. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention and told me that “the restaurant is yours” meaning we could dine there “anytime” we wanted and there would be a table available.  I can say we never had that problem again and we ate in Polo numerous times over our multi segment cruise.  They do appreciate it when we share the information with them as opposed to publishing it on CC or elsewhere. JMHO.

Back in my working life I believe it was about a 20 to 1 ratio for negative comments adversely effecting the organization. This was especially true when you only get few positive comments when published in an Internet forum. They certainly can’t fix what they don’t know is broken. We have been on enough Oceania cruises to know they are committed to their guests and delivering the Finest Cuisine at Sea AND exceptional service. 

My 2 cents, they need to hear from their guests directly. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mauibabes, respectfully, as I said , I was not told the purpose of the meeting.  I had no idea what they wanted to discuss.  I was not given an opportunity to reschedule.  it was a very vague invitation to meet some officers in the board room or something to that effect.

My post on cruise critic was in support of KJBacon after other posters suggested that they had to be wrong about some of the experiences they shared on line.

This post was not about what I did or did not like about my cruise, it was to inform other users of these boards that yes, Oceania looks at comments on this board.

Frankly, after a long career in Quality in industry, I am not interested in providing quality assurance consulting services for free when I am paying large sums of money to take a cruise.  

• Like 3

This is the age of technology. People, and employees, pass down critiques and perhaps useful information to others often with their own biases.

We have been meet by butlers, returning from a shorex, with glasses of champagne, then asked if I prefer a double knob creek old fashioned. Never had the butler before so how does he know? There’s a file in the computer. I show up on Embarkment Day and the butler has all the information for me to sign up for a newly offered wine seminar. How does he know I do such things? It’s in my file in the computer. I can give other examples,  such as a wine steward I’d never meet teaching a scheduled wine seminar asking for my help during the seminar in answering difficult questions. It’s in the computer.

Oh, if you stiff your butler or room staff and don’t give a tip. Every butler thereafter knows. If you go to customer service and have all tips grats removed, all current and subsequent staff thereafter knows. It’s all in the computer. Information is a wonderful thing !  🥸

There’s a commercial asking “ Do you know what’s in your wallet “? For Oceania cruisers, I’d ask , Do you know what’s in your file the various employees access? File? What File? 😂

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2