Dress code questions

sjde

From the Princess dress code-

• Formal:
    Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies
  •  suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.
  •  
First of all , do all the men really wear a sport coat or suit? 

2nd- wouldn’t nice black pants or capris with a dressy top be OK for a woman? 

3- What is appropriate for kids?

The dress code at Princess is observed with about as much vigor as a mask mandate in Florida. 

As a rule, ladies seem to make reasonable decisions, and dudes err towards the casual.  I see a lot more resort casual on formal nights in the form of Tommy Bahama and cargo pants than I do in the form of sundresses.  YMMV. 

On recent Mexico and Transcanal sailings, I’d say about half of men had a jacket on.  There were more baseball caps in the MDR on formal night than there were tuxedos.  Most jacket wearers were open-collar.  

• Like 1

Where are you cruising from? I ask because we found that Princess cruises from UK saw the majority of us men wear dinner suits on formal nights. Admittedly this was re-covid but our last two P&O cruises were also dominated by dinner suits for men on the formal nights. 

I believe that if cruising from US then things tend to be more casual. I am travelling on Enchanted |Princess from Southampton in July and intend taking my dinner suit. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Where are you cruising from? I ask because we found that Princess cruises from UK saw the majority of us men wear dinner suits on formal nights. Admittedly this was re-covid but our last two P&O cruises were also dominated by dinner suits for men on the formal nights. 

I believe that if cruising from US then things tend to be more casual. I am travelling on Enchanted |Princess from Southampton in July and intend taking my dinner suit. 

All Princess sailings from the UK or Europe have greater adherence to the dress code. In the main, the Brits dress more for the occasion than Americans do.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sjde said:

• Formal:
  •  
NO
YES

TYPICAL KID WEAR IS FINE

Please take a moment and search the dozens of recent dress suggestion threads. Most cover literally scores of pages. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sjde said:

• Formal:
  •  

Some do.  A collared shirt will likely keep you from feeling out of place.  Add the coat/tie at your own personal preference.  My husband usually prefers collared shirt, no tie, and a sport coat.

I'd probably aim for pants over capris with a dressy top, but yes, you'd be just fine.  

For kiddos.  For my youngest we'll be bringing a collared shirt and blazer.  He has plenty of pants that are khaki in color (even if they are not nice dress pants), and he's got a pair of grey sneakers that don't look like regular athletic shoes.  My eldest HATES formal wear with a passion that is almost holy, and can't stand any fabric that is slightly scratchy or cool to the touch due to some sensory issues (no tulle, no silk, no chiffon, pretty much just cotton only).  We'll be doing a long sleeve playdress with leggings, and glitter high tops.  You can absolutely go all out if you wish, but for us this is pretty standard.

• Like 1

My husband wears a nice shirt and dress slacks (no sport coat or tux).   He no longer wears a tie.

I wear a nice shirt with capri's.    This body of mine no longer does high heels nor can it fit in evening wear (sequined dress) which I have 4 hanging in my closet for when I get thin again 😂

We eat is specialty dining most of the time if I'm lucky enough to guess which nights are formal nights.  

For us personally, we cruise in comfort (not sloppy).

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It was a joke!!!

😄   Easy There coach Tomlin, mine was a joke too.  And since we're both in a playful mood. How do you like your chances this season against the Raiders 😉

Edited by c-boy

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm a long sleeve dress shirt and tie kind of guy myself. It's been at least 7 years since I brought a sport coat to wear on formal nights on a cruise😎

That in itself is an oxymoron  😏

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

All Princess sailings from the UK or Europe have greater adherence to the dress code. In the main, the Brits dress more for the occasion than Americans do.

My husband is a Brit and you are spot on

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

😄   Easy There coach Tomlin, mine was a joke too.  And since we're both in a playful mood. How do you like your chances this season against the Raiders 😉

Yes, I see that.  I guess I missed your wittiness (which you are very good at, BTW).  I did at least think about it for a beat - next time two beats.  LOL.  

I honestly cannot say about 2022.  With a new QB, anything can happen.  It is a home game with Raiders, but don't know when yet.  Schedule used to come out in April, but I see it is expected May 10 - 12 timeframe.  The Raiders may not be Steelers biggest concern for 2022.  Hopefully the changes will make them competitive, but since #7 could not get SB #7, I imagine that goal is a long way off at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

That in itself is an oxymoron  😏

It all demands on your definition of formal. For me wearing a tie is about as formal as I can handle, unless it’s mandatory to wear a coat like if we were cruising on Cunard, Seabourn or Crystal (before they’re demise).

If your really concerned what people might think of your clothing on formal nights then have your husband wear a suit and tie while you can wear a full length sequined evening dress.

But if you want to cruise for comfort then a pair of Dockers & short sleeve sport shirtguayabera shirt or even a Polo will do very nicely on formal nights while the woman can wear a pair of slacks with any fancy top.   

The days of dressing up for a large portion of cruisers on Princess has been relaxed considerably. What they publish on their web site and what is seen on the ships is quite different lately. Sure, they'll still be some of the formalists who will continue to dress but it's for their own enjoyment. 

Oh btw- the kids can dress in just about anything, shorts included.

On our last cruise there were many guys on casual evenings wearing shorts in the DR, which in the past has never been approved. 

Times have changed. They're just happy to have customers to sail and don't want to offend anyone because of what they're wearing.