3 Adults in a Verandah?

mightyZ

Depends on how well you all get along. It's 100% not for me, though. However they configure it, there will be a third bed available for you. The one bathroom for 3 adults is a bit much, but I can be wrong on so many counts, it's hard to say.  People say they do it, but I'd rather stay home, sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mightyZ said:

We would like to have a sister's get away to Alaska and wondering if it will be too tight for 3 adults in a Verandah?  Is the couch (pull out) a 3rd bed?

It’s totally doable in my opinion. My mom, sister and I shared a veranda on a cruise and had an awesome time. It’s easy to work out a bathroom schedule and depending on the itinerary you may not be in the cabin much anyway. The three of us found it to be cozy but still had plenty of room for our clothes, toiletries and other items (including 1 cpap machine). We even had breakfast on the veranda a few mornings (you’re line up and it can be a little maneuvering if someone needs to get back into the cabin while you’re eating but nothing that can’t be figured out.). This August I have a cruise booked to Alaska with my ‘sisters’ and the 3 of us will be sharing an veranda. I have no doubt it will be an awesome trip and we’ll work out any little bumps that arise, if any. Hey, we’ll be on a cruise enjoying each other’s company, being well taken care of and enjoying some very beautiful scenery and ports of call! I could think of a lot worse things 😊

• Like 2

And yes, the couch/love seat converts to the 3rd bed. If it’s not as cushy as you like you can always ask the room steward for an egg crate to be added. Which ship and dates are you looking at? The sisters’ trip is on the Eurodam sailing August 20th. (I am also doing a cruise on Wirodam to Alaska sailing July 16th but that a 11 person family cruise and we’ll have Neptune Suites for that one).

It might be doable.  Storage will be tight.  I booked a verandah for my sister, Dad and I for an 18 day cruise to Hawaii.  Within the last week of sailing I received an upsell at a reasonable rate for a Signature Suite and I was glad I did.

The next year my dad and I stayed in a verandah and I was so glad I took the upsell to the Verandah the year before for the three of us.  After 18 days I don’t think we would have been speaking to each other.

My sister and I were able to purchase a couples  Thermal Suite pass which was great for so many sea days.  The advantage to that was my sister and I were able to shower in the spa.  My dad would use the Jacuzzi tub in the cabin while my sister and I were at the spa.

The difference between the two cabins was that there was only one outlet on the desk in the verandah and one where the dvd used to be.  Both my sister And I use a CPAP and that would not have worked.

Allot of it depends on which ship you are on.  There are not very many signature suites on the pinnacle ships like the konningsdam and Rotterdam.  There might be more outlets on those ships.

• Like 1

We’ve had 3 in a Verandah but I wouldn’t do it again. While there was plenty of storage space it felt a little crowded at times, especially when the sofa was made up as the bed. 

If we ever have 3 in a cabin again I would choose a Neptune Suite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

Depends on how well you all get along. It's 100% not for me, though. However they configure it, there will be a third bed available for you. The one bathroom for 3 adults is a bit much, but I can be wrong on so many counts, it's hard to say.  People say they do it, but I'd rather stay home, sorry.

Agree 100%.  For me it's hard sharing with my husband when he comes along - thankfully most of my cruises are solo.  I can't imagine one sleeping room and one bathroom shared by 3 people - that's not my idea of a vacation at all.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@mightyZ Welcome to Cruise Critic!  If you can get a Signature Suite or Neptune I believe your trip would be much more enjoyable!  Signature Suites are generally 1½ times larger and 1½ more fare.  Bathroom is about double size with two sinks and jacuzzi/shower and a shower by itself.  The balcony has that extra room also!  When I go with even just one friend it's what I would choose!  Sound like a fun cruise!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

7 hours ago, mightyZ said:

We would like to have a sister's get away to Alaska and wondering if it will be too tight for 3 adults in a Verandah?  Is the couch (pull out) a 3rd bed?

It is certainly doable, especially you are sisters.

I have seen at least 3 girls, or more sharing a port-hole room to celebrate their high school graduation.

If I were in your shoe I would insist on it instead of splitting up into 2 rooms. I think it would actually be quite cozy for all of you.

Tom

Edited by shanni-shanni

We had some family that did it with 3 on a 21 day Panama Canal😲!

In all honesty, I have enough trouble dealing with just my Dad, but when he's napping in the afternoon, I go to the spa.  When he's sleeping in late, I grab an early breakfast in the Lido.  And we have a strict lights out at midnight rule.  

So you can make it work, but you'll need to have some ground rules and try to not all be in there at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

We are thinking of booking a Neptune suite for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids. How will the beds work? Can anyone explain? We are on a 7 day sailing on Konigsdam , we hope, round Alaska. Haven’t booked yet.

Thanks for any advice.

The beds won't work, as the Neptune suites are for a maximum of 3 people.

5 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

The beds won't work, as the Neptune suites are for a maximum of 3 people.

Neptunes on Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Volendam have a Kingsize bed for 2 persons plus  a bedbank for 2 persons.    The exceptions are the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam with just a kingsize bed. But for a cruise to Alaska: no problem.

I have experienced this more than a few times. 3 seems to be my number every time I go.

I have had 3 in the Neptune suite and 3 in a regular Cerandah I got up early and everyone else slept in. I was in bed by 10:30 (yes shameful) and the lights were on till midnight. 

Being the youngest I got the short straw of the sofa bed. The bed was fairly comfortable but yes walking around it was a pain. Lucky for my roomies with my early rising I was able to put up my bed in the mornings early and allow more room when the other two got up. There was plenty of space for luggage and clothes for all 3 of us. Using a shoe bag/cosmetic bag hung over the bathroom door made counter space not an issue at all. 

Breakfast on the Balcony is an every morning thing with us and the stewards did an amazing job setting it up for us each morning. 

As long as you can decide peacefully who gets the couch I think 3 is totally doable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is doable if you are all honest about your needs/expectations and are good communicators about those.  If you all go in acknowledging the space/privacy limitations and can all agree on a plan to address those, you should be fine.  I personally would not be able to share that small of space with two other people for that many nights, but you all might agree that sharing is workable for you and fits your budget.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shelbydarling said:

I think it is doable if you are all honest about your needs/expectations and are good communicators about those.  If you all go in acknowledging the space/privacy limitations and can all agree on a plan to address those, you should be fine.  I personally would not be able to share that small of space with two other people for that many nights, but you all might agree that sharing is workable for you and fits your budget.  

I very much agree with this. It is certainly doable and many have done it. Is it the most comfortable or ideal? Absolutely not. The sofa bed is not a bed. It is pretty good for what it is and as others have noted they can add an egg crate to help. But it is not a bed. Depending on if you are smaller or larger individuals you may find the whole arrangement more or less workable. 

For years my mom, great aunt and I did this and it was fine. As I got older it was not so ideal and we eventually graduated to a larger cabin which worked much better. However we are all what the airlines so graciously refer to as customers of size. We have friends who do share a balcony or ocean view with 3 people and they have no issue. 

While it depends on your budget you can always keep an eye out for an upgrade offer. Also look at inside cabins. A guarantee inside can often get picked up at significant discounts particularly close in to departure. If you are going either of those routes just know it is not a guarantee and you should always be prepared to be happy with what you booked. 

If you haven’t already I would suggest looking at pictures of the cabin you are getting on HalFacts which should give you a realistic idea (probably more so than the website) of what you will be getting and probably photos of the exact cabin you are booking. You can also see what would be the next category up and determine if it would be worth the added cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, Sharon in AZ said:

We’ve had 3 in a Verandah but I wouldn’t do it again. While there was plenty of storage space it felt a little crowded at times, especially when the sofa was made up as the bed. 

If we ever have 3 in a cabin again I would choose a Neptune Suite. 

This was exactly how we got turned onto the Neptune suites initially. Our TA recommended it because we just were not comfortable. We surprised my great aunt with it and she was so pleased. She took one look at the dressing room and said “never again in a cabin.” And she was right!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Neptunes on Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Volendam have a Kingsize bed for 2 persons plus  a bedbank for 2 persons.    The exceptions are the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam with just a kingsize bed. But for a cruise to Alaska: no problem.

Thanks for this. I will look at Zuiderdam instead!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

By the way, just realised I’m not sure what a bed bank is?! Is it bunk beds? One above the other for kids, maybe.

Excuse me, it must have been too late in the evening for the translation... 😉 It is a bed-sofa or sofabed. 

Edited by MAVIP
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:20 PM, mightyZ said:

Come back and say what ship?

We sailed 14-days around Cape Horn with my mom in a Zaandam verandah. After doing three in an inside on the (old) Statendam for 7 days to AK, the Zaandam was amazing! There were three banks of drawers and three empty closets, plus at least one with shelves as I recall. None of us had long bathroom rituals so that worked out fine. Also, the sofa pulled out just a little to become flat so Mom was sleeping side-to-side and not over bumps like a shore-side sofa-bed. 

Oh, and this might have been a "Vista Suite" and not a standard balcony. We switched to it on an upsell...