Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

@Crew NewsGood Question.  Does everybody get the menu with Club Orange specials listed?   Zuiderdam does not have a separate dining room for CO so did the menu have a different cover than the regular menu?  Pre Covid on the Eurodam there were menus with white covers for CO and black for others.  

On the NA in November there was a separate podium at the entrance to the MDR for Club Orange guests. The menus we were given had a different color cover than the regular menus.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

No 5-second rule for escargot?  A simple request for butter sauce should be honored.

I probably would've picked it up and thought about the rule, but I couldn't find the piece 🤔 . It blended in with the worn wooden floor of the restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

@Crew NewsGood Question.  Does everybody get the menu with Club Orange specials listed?   Zuiderdam does not have a separate dining room for CO so did the menu have a different cover than the regular menu?  Pre Covid on the Eurodam there were menus with white covers for CO and black for others.  

Everyone got the same menu at least for the times I ate in the MDR.  I don't remember seeing any special covers but with the MDR only 50% filled, there were not many opportunities to see other menus.  CO on Pinnacle-class ships' menus are slipped into a nicer cover.

• Like 1

Before I start unpacking, thought I would add the promised disembarkation process that I witnessed. 

Nobody onboard checked the luggage tag colors before allowing passengers off the ship meaning some passengers' luggage had not yet been moved to the terminal. ArriveCAN was not checked ashore in spite of announcements to have it ready.  Vaccination cards were not checked ashore in spite of announcements to have it ready.  Passports were not checked ashore in spite of being told to have it out and ready.

The efficiency of the taxi pickup services just outside the covered terminal doors was good and took me only 25 minutes to be on my way to the airport.  Separate lines for those with mobility issues, had larger taxis and a separate loading lane for pickups. $35 CAD fare to the airport.

Taxi driver told me that last week 65 COVID passengers left a single ship and were transported to quarantine hotels.  Each taxi had to be sanitized before it could return to the cruise terminal for more pickups.

Alaska Airlines does not allow check-in more than three hours before, so no big rush to leave the ship for afternoon flights.  COVID test results (not my Victoria address) were checked and at least one passenger had a test two-days old and was forced to get another one in the terminal.  Passports and vaccination cards (copies accepted) were verified at check-in.  A attestation of COVID test form was provided at check-in for turn-in during boarding time.  Boarding passes were checked at baggage turn-in (different from airline check-in).  Passport and boarding passes were checked at Security screening (shoes, belts, laptops, etc).  Passports and boarding passes checked again at US Customs desk.  Some passengers even had passports checked again at the boarding gate desk.

If you are taking a short flight to the US, there are no food facilities open near the gates.  Grab lunch and water before going the long distance to the gates.  There was a Euro Cafe near the gates but it was closed.  Except for very small roller bags, regular roller bags were tagged for passenger drop-off at the plane.  The completed COVID test attestation form was collected at the same time boarding passes and passports were again checked before heading down the steps to the plane.  Caution:  Getting down the 15 steps with luggage in both hands is not easy or safe.  Fortunately, those with mobility issues were boarded from a different gate location. 

The pre-flight safety briefing ended with a warning that masks were still required until US soil was touched. About half of the passenger in the Alaska Airlines terminal in Seattle wore masks.

More tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

As an FYI, HAL is no longer offering complimentary (or any) onboard testing for those passengers who need a negative test in order to fly to their home country, which includes U.S. travelers. So plan disembarkation accordingly. 

• Like 2

My first time flying on Alaska Airlines.  Flying to Seattle, staying in the Hilton by the airport, taking HAL's shuttle to Vancouver the next morning.  Coming home, I'm flying from Vancouver.  I booked a fairly late-afternoon flight (to Seattle) and will take the redeye home that evening.  Sounds like I'll need to make sure to get something to eat before I head down to the gate.

Not thrilled to find out now that HAL won't do the return-home testing.  That means eMed testing from the ship using wi-fi early the morning of disembarkation.  As spotty as the wifi seems to be at sea, wouldn't want to risk trying to test on that last day and losing the connection, making my one test kit invalid.

I'll do some reading elsewhere to see what the cost is to test at the airport. 😒

• Like 2

While I have 4 eMed tests I can take with me, I’ll probably bite the bullet and make an appointment for testing, just in case something goes disastrously wrong with the eMed test due to dropped connection, etc. the problem now is I have to deal with an early afternoon flight and, from what I hear, possible lengthy delays at the airport security. It will all work out, I just like to have everything buttoned up in advance. Which annoys my play it by ear spouse to no end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lderochi said:

As an FYI, HAL is no longer offering complimentary (or any) onboard testing for those passengers who need a negative test in order to fly to their home country, which includes U.S. travelers. So plan disembarkation accordingly. 

This must be for future cruises. I was on this cruise and disembarked in Vancouver yesterday.  As mentioned by Crew News on the previous page, HAL provided Covid tests on the day before disembarking for those flying to the US. This was two days ago. We didn’t need them, so I have no idea if they were complimentary or not.

30 minutes ago, bigcartman said:

Just curious as sailing next week on this cruise. First time for HAL. Did you hear of any covid cases and although I know crew has to mask, how many of passengers did you observe wearing masks.

All the crew wore masks the entire time. The mask policy for passengers is now ‘recommended’ rather than ‘’required’. On the first day, April 27, most passengers wore masks in indoor public spaces except while eating or drinking. I would estimate close to 90%. This gradually changed, and by yesterday morning I would estimate less than 20% of the passengers wore masks indoors, even when social distancing was not possible. Hand sanitizer dispensers were front and center at the entrance to all dining areas and the main stage. They were almost never used. The crew cleaned and sanitized things like railings almost constantly, and the ship was very clean.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lderochi said:

I just saw the announcement for this change for future cruises ending in Canada.

Maybe the US is about to drop the testing requirement for inbound air travelers, like Canada did in early April? We can hope!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

Before I start unpacking, thought I would add the promised disembarkation process that I witnessed. 

Nobody onboard checked the luggage tag colors before allowing passengers off the ship meaning some passengers' luggage had not yet been moved to the terminal. ArriveCAN was not checked ashore in spite of announcements to have it ready.  Vaccination cards were not checked ashore in spite of announcements to have it ready.  Passports were not checked ashore in spite of being told to have it out and ready.

The efficiency of the taxi pickup services just outside the covered terminal doors was good and took me only 25 minutes to be on my way to the airport.  Separate lines for those with mobility issues, had larger taxis and a separate loading lane for pickups. $35 CAD fare to the airport.

Taxi driver told me that last week 65 COVID passengers left a single ship and were transported to quarantine hotels.  Each taxi had to be sanitized before it could return to the cruise terminal for more pickups.

Alaska Airlines does not allow check-in more than three hours before, so no big rush to leave the ship for afternoon flights.  COVID test results (not my Victoria address) were checked and at least one passenger had a test two-days old and was forced to get another one in the terminal.  Passports and vaccination cards (copies accepted) were verified at check-in.  A attestation of COVID test form was provided at check-in for turn-in during boarding time.  Boarding passes were checked at baggage turn-in (different from airline check-in).  Passport and boarding passes were checked at Security screening (shoes, belts, laptops, etc).  Passports and boarding passes checked again at US Customs desk.  Some passengers even had passports checked again at the boarding gate desk.

If you are taking a short flight to the US, there are no food facilities open near the gates.  Grab lunch and water before going the long distance to the gates.  There was a Euro Cafe near the gates but it was closed.  Except for very small roller bags, regular roller bags were tagged for passenger drop-off at the plane.  The completed COVID test attestation form was collected at the same time boarding passes and passports were again checked before heading down the steps to the plane.  Caution:  Getting down the 15 steps with luggage in both hands is not easy or safe.  Fortunately, those with mobility issues were boarded from a different gate location. 

The pre-flight safety briefing ended with a warning that masks were still required until US soil was touched. About half of the passenger in the Alaska Airlines terminal in Seattle wore masks.

More tomorrow.

vaccination, passport info is already in your Arrivcan app.  No need to show anything when you get off the ship.. Canada customs already have the info.  That's the beauty of the app.  Shortens the time being questioned.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, Crew News said:

Speaking only for myself, I had more crab than at the George Inlet Lodge Crab Feast, the hospitality was best in class, boat ride was comfortable, photo ops were exceptional, seafood was delicious and plentiful, homemade cookies were almost at the HAL Pinnacle-class Grand Dutch Cafe quality level, and the cramped minivan was not very fun.  Overall Grade:  A- (only because of the minivan lack of easy entry). I recommend this tour.

Reviews are not great on this one on the HAL site. Do you have any pictures up of this tour yet? I might need help selling it to my wife. Sounds amazing to me. If not, I'll just show her your post.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, five. said:

Reviews are not great on this one on the HAL site. Do you have any pictures up of this tour yet? I might need help selling it to my wife. Sounds amazing to me. If not, I'll just show her your post.

Below is link to my pics from a few years ago.  Boat has now changed to fully  enclosed.  Many more eagles on this trip and more deer.  All of my photos from last week are in RAW format and need further processing before adding to this link:  Seafood Feast at Silverking Lodge

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Below is link to my pics from a few years ago.  Boat has now changed to fully  enclosed.  Many more eagles on this trip and more deer.  All of my photos from last week are in RAW format and need further processing before adding to this link:  Seafood Feast at Silverking Lodge

I'm hoping the tracking ability on my new Canon mirrorless will help get some good in-flight eagle shots.

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I just saw the announcement for this change for future cruises ending in Canada.

Maybe the US is about to drop the testing requirement for inbound air travelers, like Canada did in early April? We can hope!

Where did you see the announcement ? 

Thank you so much for posting the menus and your experience on the first 2022 cruise to Alaska.  I have enjoyed all the information you have provided and indulged on the menus.  Very fun to order an imaginary dinner each evening.  Looking forward to my Alaska cruise September 4 on the Westerdam. First time in a Neptune suite. Thank you again for all your information and suggestions.  Hope to follow along on another of your cruises.  Glad you had a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

I had Club orange last week.  Deck 2 is the club Orange entrance, they seat you in a separate area in dining room.  The menu does have Club Orange listings, menu says Club orange.  
Fast Test offers testing at Pan Pacific and Fairmont hotel for $135.  I was able to do my EMED test on laptop 2 days prior in my room on back of ship while in Ketchikan..  Several people did theirs on iPhone.  The weather was perfect.

CrewNews, wish you were here on Discovery Princess, we saw many whales tonight,  and a beautiful sunset. 
They said no food off of ship at Disembarkation, they did not check.  
a lot of Pax from Zuirdam on Discovery Princess.  So far, great weather, tomorrow Ketchikan.  Very few masks on this cruise.  
We did have our tile delivered to our mailbox, but no luncheon.  Very beautiful tile.  I was able to get a little sun burn from sitting on balcony.  It was a wonderful cruise and wonderful people.  
Sandipalms

But isn't the test to return to the US required within 1 day of the return flight?  I'm confused.

Or were you self-testing to do a side-to-side?  If so, that doesn't help those of us who have suddenly found that we're responsible for our own to get back home from Vancouver.

I had Club Orange on Eurodam last November.  No separate seating area, but I had Anytime Dining, which probably was the difference.

If I have set dining w/CO but my travel companions do not, I imagine I'll just get the separate menu.  Honestly, the CO offerings don't appeal to me that much.  I paid for CO simply to be able to select my cabin (love love love those large inside J cabins; so disappointed they don't exist on the Pinnacle class ships).

Yes, thanks again to OP for taking the time to answer all our questions and post so much useful info.

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

But isn't the test to return to the US required within 1 day of the return flight?  I'm confused.

Or were you self-testing to do a side-to-side?  If so, that doesn't help those of us who have suddenly found that we're responsible for our own to get back home from Vancouver.

I had Club Orange on Eurodam last November.  No separate seating area, but I had Anytime Dining, which probably was the difference.

If I have set dining w/CO but my travel companions do not, I imagine I'll just get the separate menu.  Honestly, the CO offerings don't appeal to me that much.  I paid for CO simply to be able to select my cabin (love love love those large inside J cabins; so disappointed they don't exist on the Pinnacle class ships).

Yes, thanks again to OP for taking the time to answer all our questions and post so much useful info.

The test is only needed for entry into the US by air, and there is a Rapid Test facility right inside the departures area of Vancouver airport.

OP, is there luggage service to the airport?  Having never sailed from Vancouver, I have no idea how far it is (you noted Can35$ for a taxi).  I understand there's also a train.  Just wondering whether it makes more sense for me as an older, solo female to just take a taxi or do the luggage/train option.

Is Uber/Lyft also an option?  They're typically considerably less than a taxi.  If I take a taxi, can I pay with a credit card?  Since I'm spending my pre-cruise night in Seattle and taking HAL's bus shuttle, I hadn't planned on having any Canadian $$s on me.