Live from Alaska on Ms Zuiderdam - April 2022

Crew News

This begins my normal live thread for Alaska.  I will seek answers to any questions posted here, note any changes from my previous Alaska cruises, make observations of changes onboard, and provide helpful tips for those who will be coming to Alaska in 2022. 

As noted on another thread, I will be posting daily menus as well as When & Where brochures.  Use the link at the bottom of my posts to see the latest uploads.  Since my photographs are taken in RAW format that require additional processing, I will not be posting any photos here.

I encourage all CC members onboard to actively participate in this live thread to paint a full picture of our Alaska experience. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I see it in his signature at the bottom of his post.  Black lettering  "HAL Menus & More Link"

I've forgotten how to access the "signatures" at the bottom. Can you give us a hint of how to add that feature? Thank you.

P.S. Just found it by going into my ACCOUNT SETTINGS then "Signatures" and clicking "view signatures" or something like that, then "Save".

Edited by PSR
  • Like 3

Just a few tidbits to get started.

The Taco Bar reopening after more than two years on hold this cruise.  The day before it reopened, I had asked the Lido Manager about it and was told it needed Seattle approval.  The next day it was in operation but of course I had just consumed a big lunch in the Lido Market.  My tradition of a plate of nachos on my aft verandah in Glacier Bay may now continue.

The new MDR Sunday Brunch and the diversity of the menu was a pleasant surprise.  See the link below for the menu.

For those interested, the Remy Martin Louis XIII has a higher price of $200/shot after the pandemic. On the same note, Happy Hour is held at both the Ocean and Crows Nest bars.

For tired feet/legs, the floor at the end of the Shops 'Citizen watch counter has a strong vibration that is quite soothing.

With fewer passengers than crew, the MDR feels empty and the staff goes out of their way to entertain. Impressive origami, puzzling card tricks, and an Assistant Maitre'd playing a mean ukulele.

A Mariner award ceremony happened today with only 9 attendees and one medallion awarded (my silver).

My Room Steward tandem has only 4 occupied rooms and spends the rest of their day deep cleaning 18 others.

The MDR is open for lunch from noon to 1:00 PM.

FWIW my MDR table of five completed dinner each night around 70 minutes.

For trivia buffs, a squatchie is the button on top of a baseball players cap.

PG has been full every evening so make your reservations at the podium near the PG as soon as you board.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, cat shepard said:

Thank you for taking us with you, Roger. I will be on a different ship in September, but hope there will be some similarities. And I agree that the Sunday brunch menu is great!

The MDR, PG, and Canaletto menus will be the same.

I too will be on a different ship in September, Nieuw Amsterdam, for 14-days of serious photo taking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

The MDR, PG, and Canaletto menus will be the same.

I too will be on a different ship in September, Nieuw Amsterdam, for 14-days of serious photo taking.

Thank you!

I will be on the NA’s 9/4 - 11 cruise. Will be on land prior to that. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Taco Bar reopening

Is it self serve?  I loved the way the staff served almost everything in the Lido during my February cruise.  The few things that were self serve, I avoided.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, I realize the Vegetarian Menu changes daily. But do you have to request it ahead of time or is it available to order from on a daily basis?

I will have to ask. The Indian menus are available daily if you know to ask for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Is it self serve?  I loved the way the staff served almost everything in the Lido during my February cruise.  The few things that were self serve, I avoided.

The taco bar is self serve with longggggg spoons/tongs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Is the Sunday brunch available on Saturday for 7-day cruises that depart on Sunday afternoon?

3 hours ago, bigjohn42 said:

Hello Roger, My guess is there is no Sunday Brunch if Sunday is Embarkation Day!!!  We Leave on 9-4 on the Westerdam and was looking forward to the brunch and realized we leave on A Sunday!!!

I will ask both questions.

• Like 3

Great News:  Just posted the When & Where for the April 27th Embarkation and at 9:00 PM in faint Orange printing, "ORANGE PARTY."  One more step to normalcy.

The Vegetarian Menu is available every day and no need to request it the evening before. 

The Assistant Hotel Manager was standing at the gangway on Deck 1 welcoming those returning from being ashore in Victoria and he was shivering in his short sleeve uniform shirt in the 42-degree windy temps.  A few feet away, even on the last cruise day, there was nobody in the Front Desk "correct-my-billing statement" line.

I spent nearly 30 minutes with the Cellar Master, Liliana, who specializes in training new staff on new ship builds and sharing memories of HAL crew members we both knew.

Karen in the Camera Shop discussed cameras with me back when we were  both on the Nieuw Statendam Nov 2021.

Presty is coming to the Zuiderdam as the Maitre'd for the next Grand World Voyage.

As I prepare to visit the Late Buffet for some chips, the hallways are now being populated with suitcases and none of them are mine. 

A good day filled with new friends, a plate of nachos from the Taco Bar, a petite filet from the PG, telephone access after a three-day drought, this new live thread on CC, and Orange Parties back.  Now if I had just a few almond cookies from a Grand Dutch Cafe.......

More tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just a few tidbits to get started.

For those interested, the Remy Martin Louis XIII has a higher price of $200/shot after the pandemic. On the same note, Happy Hour is held at both the Ocean and Crows Nest bars.

Maybe you should purchase the bottle to save money: only $4,995!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Great News:  Just posted the When & Where for the April 27th Embarkation and at 9:00 PM in faint Orange printing, "ORANGE PARTY."  One more step to normalcy.

The Vegetarian Menu is available every day and no need to request it the evening before. 

The Assistant Hotel Manager was standing at the gangway on Deck 1 welcoming those returning from being ashore in Victoria and he was shivering in his short sleeve uniform shirt in the 42-degree windy temps.  A few feet away, even on the last cruise day, there was nobody in the Front Desk "correct-my-billing statement" line.

I spent nearly 30 minutes with the Cellar Master, Liliana, who specializes in training new staff on new ship builds and sharing memories of HAL crew members we both knew.

Karen in the Camera Shop discussed cameras with me back when we were  both on the Nieuw Statendam Nov 2021.

Presty is coming to the Zuiderdam as the Maitre'd for the next Grand World Voyage.

As I prepare to visit the Late Buffet for some chips, the hallways are now being populated with suitcases and none of them are mine. 

A good day filled with new friends, a plate of nachos from the Taco Bar, a petite filet from the PG, telephone access after a three-day drought, this new live thread on CC, and Orange Parties back.  Now if I had just a few almond cookies from a Grand Dutch Cafe.......

More tomorrow.

Speaking of cameras, what are shooting with these days?  I just made the jump to a mirrorless super computer.  Long-learning curve.

• Like 1