Wine taken on board changes.

Marlster

Has anyone heard that when you take your 1 bottle of wine when you embark you are charged a $20 corkage fee.  I thought it used to be the only time you paid a corkage fee is if you were not going to drink it in your cabin.

Marlster

And not stupid, at least from the ship’s perspective. It’s a whole lot easier to count as it comes aboard than in the dining room. It also pushes more people to purchase wine from the ship,

it may also cause people to drink a little more. There have been a number of cruises where we didn’t drink everything we brought, but took it home. If we’d paid corkage for it,  we’d probably have consumed it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FOPMan said:

And not stupid, at least from the ship’s perspective. It’s a whole lot easier to count as it comes aboard than in the dining room. It also pushes more people to purchase wine from the ship,

it may also cause people to drink a little more. There have been a number of cruises where we didn’t drink everything we brought, but took it home. If we’d paid corkage for it,  we’d probably have consumed it.

If you have the ship store the wine (keep it until you disembark) there is no corkage fee - but there is not much fun in that 😉 

We order wine, wine packages from HAL but if we are in Europe you can be dam sure we’ll bring wines on board and happily pay the corkage.

• Like 2

Let’s just be happy that we can still bring wine aboard. They certainly don’t have to allow it. And for a short period in 2015, planned to not allow any carry on wine. I’m glad they changed that, and happily pay corkage so we can.

I learned about trying local wines from others in this forum, and it has become a special part of my cruises. And it has rubbed off on DH, who suggested we buy a local bottle in Loreto. Oh my gosh, it was the best!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

It changed last year sometime.  Now $20 corkage for any bottle of wine taken onboard.

Please excuse me if this has been answered on another thread, but this change is new to me too.

Do you know if this rule applies to Mediterranean cruises also?  On previous sailings, Med cruises have seemed a bit lax to me regarding the rules but I could be confusing HAL with another cruise line. 

If I go to a local restaurant with a bottle of wine, they will charge corkage. HAL should be different why exactly? 

As a long time customer, they have positively reacted to customer comment concerning an expansion of their wine list and a reduction in by the glass prices

I am content

I will probably bring on a bottle of special bubbly for our anniversary next cruise but that is all because they have seriously improved their wine list. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

Please excuse me if this has been answered on another thread, but this change is new to me too.

Do you know if this rule applies to Mediterranean cruises also?  On previous sailings, Med cruises have seemed a bit lax to me regarding the rules but I could be confusing HAL with another cruise line. 

Yes it does!  This notice was displayed in Trieste last October when boarding Eurodam.

It still makes for good value on European cruises.

For example: bottle of Solar Viejo Rioja is the equivalent of $53 when purchased as part of Sommelier Cellar #3 package (ignoring mariner discount ).  Recently I purchased a bottle of Solar Viejo in a hotel dining room in Spain.......€15.  Yes €15 in a hotel!   HAL has a huge mark up on wines, so if you buy a half decent wine and pay the corkage you are still streets ahead!

20211006_170949.jpg

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes it does!  This notice was displayed in Trieste last October when boarding Eurodam.

It still makes for good value on European cruises.

For example: bottle of Solar Viejo Rioja is the equivalent of $53 when purchased as part of Sommelier Cellar #3 package (ignoring mariner discount ).  Recently I purchased a bottle of Solar Viejo in a hotel dining room in Spain.......€15.  Yes €15 in a hotel!   HAL has a huge mark up on wines, so if you buy a half decent wine and pay the corkage you are still streets ahead!

20211006_170949.jpg

VMAX…thank you for sharing that. We enjoy buying local wines at each port and would have been shocked to discover this upon arrival at the port. 

I’m glad to learn this in advance. 

6 minutes ago, nancynana9950 said:

I think I read a ship tour on our October cruise goes to a winery and there is no corkage fee for purchases made while on the tour. 

Do read the details carefully as I have seen where no corkage is charged on purchase of ONE bottle of wine (per person).  See example for dinner cruise in Istanbul but do not remember seeing the option for multiple purchases.  Maybe a winery is different??

Notes:

Minimum age is 10 years. Not advisable for guests using a wheelchair. Corkage policy: The on-board corkage fee is waived for one bottle of wine per person for wine purchased during this tour.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, N 2 Sun said:

VMAX…thank you for sharing that. We enjoy buying local wines at each port and would have been shocked to discover this upon arrival at the port. 

Also note that the official line is that wine may only be brought onboard at embarkation and not at ports of call.  If doing a B2B then you have two embarkation ports! 

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Do read the details carefully as I have seen where no corkage is charged on purchase of ONE bottle of wine (per person).  See example for dinner cruise in Istanbul but do not remember seeing the option for multiple purchases.  Maybe a winery is different??

Notes:

Minimum age is 10 years. Not advisable for guests using a wheelchair. Corkage policy: The on-board corkage fee is waived for one bottle of wine per person for wine purchased during this tour.

As I said in post #13....and no, wineries are no different.  It's one bottle per person corkage-free.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

As I said in post #13....and no, wineries are no different.  It's one bottle per person corkage-free.

I did see that ok, but the poster whom I quoted mentioned 'purchases' and I did want to ensure that they did not think that they could purchase multiple bottles.  Better safe than......🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it really such a big deal in the overall scheme of things given the cost of a vacation?

There are choices.   Pay the corkage.  Don't bring wine on board.   Select another cruise line or vacation option.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On shore excursions that have the corkage single bottle per passenger rule just find some nice passenger(s) who would bring on a single bottle for you.   Most people don't purchase wine on tours at least from what I saw in Portugal.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, N 2 Sun said:

Your statement hints that you are seeing this as not allowing wine on from ports? 

If so, I don’t see any reference, other than pay corkage or let it go to lockup until the last night.

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

All checked and carry-on luggage will be scanned and any prohibited items, including alcoholic/nonalcoholic beverages will be removed, confiscated, and discarded.  If Your luggage is locked, the lock may be removed by security or, alternatively, the luggage will be held by security until you can be present for an inspection and any items in question further identified and/or surrendered.  Holland America Line shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any luggage lock removal, alcoholic/nonalcoholic items, or other prohibited items removed and discarded in violation of the policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Holland America Line, which will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarking the voyage. Any wine or champagne supplied by the Holland America Line to you is not subject to a corkage fee.  Purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for use in conjunction with medical device(s) are allowed in checked luggage and must be packed with the device(s). Distilled/purified water in factory-sealed containers (including plastic containers) for the reconstitution of infant formula is allowed in checked luggage for staterooms with infant bookings. Limitations apply. Allowances are subject to change without notice and remain subject to situational assessments by both security and the vessel.

An 18% Service Charge is automatically applied to all Beverage Purchases, Bar Retail Items, Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges and all For Purchase A La Carte Menu Items. Local Sales Taxes Applied where required.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, kazu said:

If you have the ship store the wine (keep it until you disembark) there is no corkage fee - but there is not much fun in that 😉 

We order wine, wine packages from HAL but if we are in Europe you can be dam sure we’ll bring wines on board and happily pay the corkage.

Corkage is now charged at check-in.  $20 per bottle PLUS 18% gratuity.  Comes to $47 for two bottles.  We brought on some higher priced bubbly and were surprised.  With the new HIA promotion, may reconsider this process.

21 minutes ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Corkage is now charged at check-in.  $20 per bottle PLUS 18% gratuity.  Comes to $47 for two bottles.  We brought on some higher priced bubbly and were surprised.  With the new HIA promotion, may reconsider this process.

We were only charged $40 ($20/ bottle). I just checked our bill. This was April 3, Zuiderdam. There is no additional fee for crew for the corkage.  And it is not mentioned at all in the KBYG copied above. I wonder if someone made a boo-boo when they added the gratuity.

( By the way, the website must be undergoing changes now. I no longer can find all the past bills ( which were there). In their place is a report/ line listing of total nights, total points for onboard spending and points for suite).

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Corkage has always been charged at check in although the ship didn't usually process it to our on board account until we were at sea.

I have only cruised B.C. (Before Covid) and was never charged gratuity (and it existed B.C. 😉)

I’ll certainly report once I am on a BHB

10 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We were only charged $40 ($20/ bottle). I just checked our bill. This was April 3, Zuiderdam. There is no additional fee for crew for the corkage.  And it is not mentioned at all in the KBYG copied above. I wonder if someone made a boo-boo when they added the gratuity.

Thanks.  That has been my experience in the past.  Good to hear it’s continued A.C. (After Covid) 👍 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

( By the way, the website must be undergoing changes now. I no longer can find all the past bills ( which were there). In their place is a report/ line listing of total nights, total points for onboard spending and points for suite).

I know they charged 18% on corkage because I called the front desk and inquired.  My bill was $47.20 for 2 bottles.