Adjoining cabins

Pedr0

We've been allocated an adjoining cabin - 4039 on the Oosterdam deck 4. Has anyone had an issue with an adjoining cabin? Below us on deck 3 is the theatre, shops and walking promenade. We're concerned about noise coming from the theater and also the early / late walkers below?  There is a price difference of $3500. AUD if we change from a cabin on deck 5!!!!!

I've been in many connecting cabins and never had a noise problem. I don't know the configuration of that cabin, so there may be one less closet, but I'm just throwing that in as a possibility. There are double doors, and unless there is a screaming/shouting match you should be fine. 

That cabin is in the rear of the show lounge, so should be very quiet from that. I wouldn't expect noise from the entertainment areas either, as they start on the other side of the elevator banks. 

Save the money and enjoy the cabin. 

• Like 2

Only have done 1 cruise with connecting cabin. We could hear a gentleman coughing and hacking the whole cruise. After the third day, I too had the cough. Not saying this was the reason for my cough but I would not book another. However that is a huge price difference imo. Do what makes you comfortable and have a great cruise

• Like 1

We have had one connecting cabin that I recall.  We had no  problems with noise from it.  I agree with Ruth C that the location should be fine.  As for noise from being above the Promenade Deck, I can't see that being a problem, unless the walkers on your cruise are MUCH MUCH MUCH rowdier than any we have ever encountered 🙂

• Like 1

I’ve heard noise from an adjoining cabin and I’ve had several when I booked guarantees but maybe I’ve just had noisy neighbors. The last time I had one,  later at night these people were trying to get into my cabin through that door.  Scared the heck out of me because I was half asleep.  I don’t know where they thought the door went🙄.

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The last time I had one,  later at night these people were trying to get into my cabin through that door.  Scared the heck out of me because I was half asleep.

Horrified GASP!!!

IIRC you mostly cruise solo.  I have got to say, if that happened to me when solo in a cabin, I would likely been incapable of sleeping again on that cruise 😞

We have had adjoining cabins before (both with and without travelling with the folks in the adjoined cabin) without issue, not saying though that if a loud party was going on next door we would not have heard the rukus but then we probably would have heard it even without the doors in between the cabins. That has happened a few times too.

As for safety, adjoining doors come in a set, one for each room. They each only have handles and locks on the side facing the interior of it's particular cabin with a flat plate on the outward facing side. Thus, there is no way for someone to accidentally or otherwise get into your cabin IF your door is properly locked. If you have concerns about this, ask your room steward to make sure your side is secure. That said, like the post above where the heck would you think that door went and why scare the heck out of the person in the next room. Maybe the folks in the next cabin were drunk??

doors1.jpg

doors2.JPG

doors3.JPG

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

@fatcat04 thanks for taking the time to write out that explanation.  Intellectually, I do understand how the doors work on the connected cabins. Regardless of that, if I heard someone opening the adjoining door, disturbing me as I was falling asleep, my fight or flight reaction would have my adrenaline in overdrive.  Being rational would be beyond my abilities 😱😉 , likely for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

@fatcat04 thanks for taking the time to write out that explanation.  Intellectually, I do understand how the doors work on the connected cabins. Regardless of that, if I heard someone opening the adjoining door, disturbing me as I was falling asleep, my fight or flight reaction would have my adrenaline in overdrive.  Being rational would be beyond my abilities 😱😉 , likely for the rest of the cruise.

Oh, I don't blame you. Awakened by that I too would be alarmed. 

We second the use of a white noise machine. We travel with a small usb powered one now. You just never know what kind of noises you are going to encounter in Airbnbs or the odd airport hotel.