Like them or not (I do) N.C.L. is getting almost everything right ,what do you think.

dolittle

NCL was doing things right until they decided to raise their fares so much now that they want from the best value in cruising to the worst . That will certainly keep the people some seem undesirables away ..... They can't afford it. I'm booking Alaska and Caribbean cruises on other lines for half the price NCL is attempting to charge. 

• Like 3

There are so many variables and different priorities that people have when searching for a cruise/cruise ship so it's difficult to place a "best value" tag on any one cruise line.

We have sailed on Celebrity, Royal and NCL. For many years it was exclusively Royal and we loved every one of our sailings. We've never booked Haven or any other ship within a ship area. We are truly value shoppers when searching for a vacation. Our cabin is not a top priority either. We've stayed in everything from inside to suites and I just don't stay in the room that much for it to make a difference. Also, my research of each ship (most is done right here on cc), allows us to avoid many common pitfalls and we are typically very efficient in our planning. Little secrets like deck 19 on Escape, right outside Vibe. Quiet with a bar and whirlpool. It took at least 3 days for many to discover this area and we loved it!

Our last 2 trips were on the Escape and Encore and we have Joy booked for 6/26/22.

So, as you can see, we've switched it up a little and have found NCL to provide me and my crew the best value. When we select a cruise, we start with a sailing date, then choose a ship. Itinerary has never been the driving force in choosing a sailing. Doing it this way kept us on Royal for quite a few cruises but recently it has led us more to NCL. And, NCL has been the best value when choosing this way.

If food was our #1 priority, we'd probably stick with Celebrity, but that's no longer the case for us.

It used to be more important to us but now we prefer to be flexible and casual. That gives NCL an edge. I didn't even bring a pair of pants for my sailings on Escape and Encore and I liked it. Nice shorts with a button down shirt and I was good to go (we didn't dine in Le Bistro or Cagneys), even in the Manhattan room and the Specialties we dined at.

Our #1 priority has become the entertainment and NCL has been outstanding for our last 2 sailings and we expect that to continue with Joy in June. The variety of musical acts is always great and then they have some unique to NCL acts like Choir of Man and Beatles tribute. We loved Howl at the Moon on Escape too. There's always something to do and we enjoyed it even more than what Royal has to offer.

Obviously price has to be there for it to be considered a good value and, for us, NCL has been the least expensive too, especially when you combine the free at sea perks. For us, they are valuable. On vacation, I drink. I start at 9am and pretty much continue through bedtime. That's a huge value for me. A bonus, for us, is that now that my daughter is 22 and is still the 3rd person in our cabin, she gets the drink package too. We enjoy the 2 specialty meals and always upgrade our internet, so that's good value also. The included airfare can be of enormous value too, if you hit it right. We did for our Encore sailing and it would have been for our cancelled Joy sailing in January of this year too.

So, bottom line, NCL has provided the most (for us) for the least amount of $$ and that does include our upcoming sailing on Joy. 47 Days!

YMMV

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

This solo traveler very much appreciates the freedom to eat alone in specialty restaurants or anywhere other than the MDR. I’ve met many friendly people but never want to be assigned tables or dinner times.

Believe it or not, most other lines actually have more freedom of choice than NCL in this regard. They all offer an "anytime" dining option now, so there is absolutely no need to have a fixed seating unless you prefer it. But somehow other lines also manage to ask diners if they would enjoy sharing a table with others in the Anytime dining area. Thus it is easy for solos or those who would enjoy conversing with others can "opt in" -- but there is absolutely no compulsion to do so.

As a solo traveler I do not mind the occasional dinner with my Kindle, but I tend to take longer cruises and really do not want to dine only in my own company for let's say 14 nights... 

My point in responding to this thread was not to start another discussion on this topic. If I'd known the topic was going to be moved here I would never have responded. Only intended to give my honest opinion about why NCL is not the best line for me and why I don't agree with the OP's premise.  The line obviously suits many and that's great. What they do, they obviously do well. Just not for me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

NCL doesn't work for me. The ship-within-a-ship concept is the opposite of what I look for onboard a cruise ship. And the very active (one could say aggressive) dislike of dining with others is extremely offputting for this solo traveler.

Food for thought: If the concept of sharing a table and dining with others was something that most people enjoyed and was something that made the dining experience better, then why isn't this concept something that you find in land-based restaurants?

You say "extremely offputting", but where do you dine outside of a cruise ship where they ask you if you want to share a table with strangers?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here - there seems to be a common attitude among NCL cruisers: they are so reluctant to share tables. 

Don't understand people being upset that other people don't want to share tables with strangers.  To me that is one of the best things about NCL, not set dinners and not assigned tables like you're at a banquet.  

Do you share tables with strangers when you do solo non-cruise vacations?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

FWIW I agree to a point about NCL's innovation but seriously how many ships need a go kart track? On the Joy in December it was hardly used at all and once you have done it in one ship are you really going to do it again?  Such a waste of prime real estate

Was very excited when I first saw the go karts on Bliss.  Then took a ride in one and was not as fun as expected.  Rather have a full 18 hole mini golf and rope course like Breakaway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Food for thought: If the concept of sharing a table and dining with others was something that most people enjoyed and was something that made the dining experience better, then why isn't this concept something that you find in land-based restaurants?

You say "extremely offputting", but where do you dine outside of a cruise ship where they ask you if you want to share a table with strangers?

Let me try to tackle that question, and I realize people will have different feelings about it.

A cruise is different from eating in a restaurant. You will meet people from around the world. You also have something in common as you have just been to the same port and can discuss it. Also, maybe you or the others at your table know something that can be shared at an upcoming port.

Now there are times one likes to have some alone time with spouse and/or family, but there are other times it is fun to share and learn.

And I can see @cruisemom42's point that as a solo traveler, it would be very lonely to have every dinner without company.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Let me try to tackle that question, and I realize people will have different feelings about it.

A cruise is different from eating in a restaurant. You will meet people from around the world. You also have something in common as you have just been to the same port and can discuss it. Also, maybe you or the others at your table know something that can be shared at an upcoming port.

Now there are times one likes to have some alone time with spouse and/or family, but there are other times it is fun to share and learn.

And I can see @cruisemom42's point that as a solo traveler, it would be very lonely to have every dinner without company.

Not exactly what is meant by "food for thought"...however,

That is a bad comparison. Let's say I go to Disney World on vacation. There could be people there from around the world. People I have something in common with as we've just experienced the same attractions and can discuss them. And maybe these people know something that can be shared about further attractions. YET...when I go into the restaurant at Disney, they don't ask if I want to share a table, nor am I assigned to dine with strangers.

Wonder why that is?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I was about to post this exact point ,well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last time my wife and I had to share a table with another couple was 2019 in the Asian restaurant on the Jewel out of Sydney.  The other couple were from Adelaide, Australia.  The wife sat down, said "Hi, I'm ------.  So, how much did you pay for your cruise?"

99% of the time we'd rather dine alone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here - there seems to be a common attitude among NCL cruisers: they are so reluctant to share tables.  But then, the food (and service) in included dining venues seems almost designed to encourage buying (extra cost) alternative dining. 

And, if you are not in the "ship within a ship" you will experience an incredibly crowded experience -- I haven't measured it, but the ships seem to be carefully designed to minimize public areas. Yes, you can pay extra to get a bit of breathing room, but Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, and Princess seem to have more open areas for the commoners who do not choose to pay extra for a bit of elbow room.

The worst areas I have experienced for crowding on a cruise, besides when a show is just getting out, were the Royal Promenade on Freedom of the Seas and the atrium/centrum area on Serenade of the Seas. Very difficult to walk through these areas at times. 

As far as sharing tables goes. I think most NCL cruisers want to enjoy their dinner in a timely manner and get on to the other fun activities. Sometimes MDR dining on other ships is a long process, especially if some of the people at your table arrive late or order multiple appetizers etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, coastcat said:

I'm a quiet person but also have 4 tattoos. I promise to never start a fight with anyone unless they're blocking my access to hash browns, at which point all bets are off.

NCL gets a lot of things right. They also get a lot of things wrong, or at least not as right as other cruise lines: the onboard and app technology is behind the curve, the mattresses are harder than a day-old bagel, and the omission of specialty coffees and bottled water from the standard beverage package is annoying.

Nevertheless, I love the vibe and the ships and the crew and the public spaces and the decor and the hash browns.

Don't forget about the pretzel rolls. LOL I also enjoy the crew and general vibe of an NCL cruise. I do not have any tattoos though. I have been on NCL, Royal and Celebrity. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

FWIW I agree to a point about NCL's innovation but seriously how many ships need a go kart track? On the Joy in December it was hardly used at all and once you have done it in one ship are you really going to do it again?  Such a waste of prime real estate

What do you NEED on a cruise ship anyway?  Do you NEED 15 specialty restaurants?  The MDR has all the food you need, along with the buffet.  Do you NEED 25 different bars?   My point is, what you find superfluous appeals to other people.  In December, how many kids were on the cruise?  Remember that was during the time when vaccines were required and many kids were not vaccinated.  Maybe when there's cruises with kids, a venue like Go Karts is crowded?  So these cruise lines try and find activities, for everyone, viva la difference!!  There's nothing more boring than a ship with few activities to do.   Some are content to sit by the pool all day, others want to go from activity to activity.   I don't do any rope climbing, but others do, and it's great that it's there for them.  I'd rather have the choice than no choice at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Not exactly what is meant by "food for thought"...however,

That is a bad comparison. Let's say I go to Disney World on vacation. There could be people there from around the world. People I have something in common with as we've just experienced the same attractions and can discuss them. And maybe these people know something that can be shared about further attractions. YET...when I go into the restaurant at Disney, they don't ask if I want to share a table, nor am I assigned to dine with strangers.

Wonder why that is?

Not the same thing, IMHO. On the cruise you will be together with these people for 3- who knows how many days on say a World cruise. You are not just passing through like in Disney World.

But, we are all different. Some will want to meet others, and some will just want to be with those they already know. Neither is wrong, just personal preference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not the same thing, IMHO. On the cruise you will be together with these people for 3- who knows how many days on say a World cruise. You are not just passing through like in Disney World.

But, we are all different. Some will want to meet others, and some will just want to be with those they already know. Neither is wrong, just personal preference.

Of course it isn't the same thing...it was a comparison, not an equality. I could be staying at Disney for a week...not just "passing through". The comparison is valid, though. No place...other than a cruise ship...assigns dining times and table companions, nor do they ask you if you want to share a table with strangers. IF...and that is a huge IF...this was remotely popular with people, then someone would offer this enjoyable experience in a land based restaurant. But they don't. In fact, even on cruise ships, people are moving away from this type of dining and toward freestyle dining.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steveknj said:

What do you NEED on a cruise ship anyway?  Do you NEED 15 specialty restaurants?  The MDR has all the food you need, along with the buffet.  Do you NEED 25 different bars?   My point is, what you find superfluous appeals to other people.  In December, how many kids were on the cruise?  Remember that was during the time when vaccines were required and many kids were not vaccinated.  Maybe when there's cruises with kids, a venue like Go Karts is crowded?  So these cruise lines try and find activities, for everyone, viva la difference!!  There's nothing more boring than a ship with few activities to do.   Some are content to sit by the pool all day, others want to go from activity to activity.   I don't do any rope climbing, but others do, and it's great that it's there for them.  I'd rather have the choice than no choice at all.

The problem that I have with the go karts on the current ships are that they take up very valuable deck space. The worst is the ones that also have the laser tag, as it leaves such little top deck space. (Also, so dumb to put laser tag outside in the first place, as it requires darkness, and there are plenty of interior places on the ship that are in far less desirable areas)
At least the prima seems designed more with the go-kart track in mind rather than just throwing it on top of an existing design, which I think makes a massive difference personally.

• Like 3

solo traveler here... and the one thing that has convinced me that i definitely don't want to share a table is reading this thread.

because THESE are the very people with whom you'd be sharing a table!

and  - regardless of what your personal opinion may be on the topics discussed here - clearly half of these folks are not folks with whom you'd want to associate. this isn't a thanksgiving dinner where you have to sit with - and talk to - crazy uncle harry... this is your vacation and you're trying to get away from this madness.

i'll tell you something else... as a person who has hosted many dinners with clients and colleagues over the years, i continue to be amazed at how few people have the requisite social skills to carry on a dinner conversation with strangers. invariably, when i'm thrust into these situations, i wind up being the one to carry the convo because the other folks are stone cold dead fish.

please! i'm on vacation... i don't want to have to drive the bus... let somebody else drive the bus!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

NO!!

The Jan 7th 2022 Latitudes Rewards T&Cs contains the following statement regarding Shore Excursions:-

Discounts are eligible for pre-paid and/or pre-booked excursions.

Quite clear you can pre-book OR pre-pay for Shore Excursions.

The CEO and SV-P Guest Services will NOT abide by their own T&Cs; nor will they even answer emails regarding the actual wording.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The very simple answer is history. Sharing tables was how it 'was' done exclusively for many many years. Some people like keeping with  tradition. 

If how it was done mattered, then there would be a ton of existing onboard features and amenities that would disappear...just like having an assigned dining time, table, and table mates is disappearing. Sure, some folks like tradition, and some folks are just stubborn and resistant to change and growth. I still maintain that if this "tradition" was popular and/or enjoyable, somebody would capitalize on it in a land based restaurant. Just find one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

If how it was done mattered, then there would be a ton of existing onboard features and amenities that would disappear...just like having an assigned dining time, table, and table mates is disappearing. Sure, some folks like tradition, and some folks are just stubborn and resistant to change and growth. I still maintain that if this "tradition" was popular and/or enjoyable, somebody would capitalize on it in a land based restaurant. Just find one.

I didn't suggest it was popular. Obviously more and more people want to dine with just their party, which is why cruise lines are moving toward 'my time' dining. You wondered why cruises offer the option of dining with others and my response is that some people like that tradition, which was set forth on cruise ships. Since dining with others was never the standard at Disney (that I'm aware of);  no tradition was established.

Seems very simple to me. Some people want a 'traditional cruise' experience where they dine with others so the cruise lines are keeping this as an option. However the cruise lines have heard what other people want and are offering more choices. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1