The EU has dropped mask mandates for flights to EU countries and in airports as of May 16th.

terrydtx

59 minutes ago, B x said:

We'll still be wearing ours as well when we travel to Rome on June 11th.

A mail from BA this morning which I guess was prompted by the EU announcement yesterday, rather ambiguous in part, but basically wearing one on board rests with the requirements of the destination Country, so it's a yes for Italy until 15th June. No requirement to wear one at Heathrow now.  

I’ll be wearing one in Heathrow too. Not doing anything to jeopardise my test result the day before cruise! My main worry is BA cancel my flight again.  We’ve already had to reschedule once!

Edited by Edinburghgirl1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I’ll be wearing one in Heathrow too. Not doing anything to jeopardise my test result the day before cruise! My main worry is BA cancel my flight again.  We’ve already had to reschedule once!

Hmmm, been there as well, we are on our third re-schedule of this cruise. Biggest problem is the huge reduction in the number of flights since Covid. Pre covid BA flight delayed several hours, luckily had planned an overnight in Civaveccchia as ship was just leaving port at we got to hotel, ever since hubby insists on going a day or so earlier.

Like others have suggested I believe the EU makes recommendations and member state still retain country jurisdiction.   While the UK is not in EU when we flew up to Scotland from London last week very few were wearing masks in the airport or flight.      I believe that is because the UK dropped all covid restrictions.

3 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Good idea for personal protection if you choose.  We flew out of LHR last week and 98% in the terminal and flights were mask free, including staff. 

Because of BA's record as of late we are flying to LHR a day early for our return flight home on UA next Wednesday.

3 hours ago, B x said:

We'll still be wearing ours as well when we travel to Rome on June 11th.

A mail from BA this morning which I guess was prompted by the EU announcement yesterday, rather ambiguous in part, but basically wearing one on board rests with the requirements of the destination Country, so it's a yes for Italy until 15th June. No requirement to wear one at Heathrow now.  

Which shows what an utter nonsense these rules are. Either mandate mask wearing in airports and flying or scrap the rules altogether. What’s the point of thousands of people milling around an airport security and lounges exchanging numerous virus particles and then flying for multiple hours wearing a mask. I’m not arguing either way but the rules need to be streamlined so they make sense both pre boarding and while on board. 

44 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Which shows what an utter nonsense these rules are. Either mandate mask wearing in airports and flying or scrap the rules altogether. What’s the point of thousands of people milling around an airport security and lounges exchanging numerous virus particles and then flying for multiple hours wearing a mask. I’m not arguing either way but the rules need to be streamlined so they make sense both pre boarding and while on board. 

Your point is well taken ONLY were each country from Greenland to Turkey were part of the EU or had a 'pact' that each country air transport agency/authority and airline(s) Government owned and/or private will have an agreement on how to operate under these circumstances.

For some of the flying public, it does make sense to continue the mask mandate in airports and on airplanes for a while longer (no matter where we travel from/to in the world) and there are some of the flying public who believes that all mask mandates need to be dropped regardless and we need to revert back to pre-pandemic days of air travel.

I think each airline needs to have masked flights vs non-masked flights and take up the policy which garners the most 'paid' and actually flown flights... LOL

Wishful thinking, eh?

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralfkrippner said:

Just took a flight to Portugal. Medical masks are still mandatory on all flights to/from and this is strictly checked at boarding and in flight.   

Isn't the 16th yet, so guess that was to be expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Hawai´i ... on our last leg from SFO to MUC with LH there was an announcement that masks are still mandatory on this flight to Germany and I saw one flight attendent telling one passenger to put on a mask. The flight attendants did hand out medical masks when boarding the plane to those without a mask or a fabric mask.

steamboats

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 12:40 AM, canderson said:

Perhaps by the time we next cruise they'll have ceased dealing all who test positive as though they are Thyphoid Mary through the use of zero-COVID protocols.

Agree-covid must be decriminalized. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, danv3 said:

Restrictions and requirements slowly dropping away.  Now let's see the US drop the foolish return testing requirement!

Yes, please just do it.  We are flying to Kenya for a safari in August via Amsterdam and won't need a test until we try to return to the USA.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, steamboats said:

It depends on the EU country you are flying into. Spain and Italy - you don´t need any masks anymore. But here in Germany we have masks still mandatory in public transportation which includes flights. So when you fly into Munich or Frankfurt for transiting to Italy or Spain or whereever you still need to wear masks.

steamboats

This was in force on May 17, Rome to Frankfort and on to US masks required.  

• Like 1

Actually it has been optional already few months in many countries. Those news are so misleading. Each country has their own decision making in EU. There are still few countries requiring mask to be used in airports, most don't require it. 

Hilariously when we were about to board our flight home at FCO I was approached by a Delta employee. She told me I had to be wearing an N-95 mask. 
I said, I dont have one. 
She said: You go to store and buy. 
So off I ran, in a state of panic (if you have followed my adventures you would know why) desperate to find and purchase an N-95. 
I hit the first "store" and asked. 
I was told; Sold Out, go to pharmacy. 
I ran back to the boarding area and asked (loudly) if anyone had an N-95 to sell. 
At that point the manager or boss or whatever he was said: NO, no need to wear n-95. 
I was so relieved and totally expecting that I was not going to be able to board. 
And here I read that the mask mandate was not even in effect.