Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Do you have the high dynamic range (hdr) setting turned on? This takes multiple shots of the same scene with some exposed for the bright background (highlights) and some exposed for the dark foreground images (shadows).  The phone then combines the best of these shots together for a single image that should have both the background and foreground properly exposed.  There are limits to this approach if the highlights are very bright or the shadows are very dark, but the latest phones are very good at these types of images.

It's more work, but you can shoot pictures in raw format and then manually edit them, including manually adjusting the highlights and the shadows.  It's amazing how much detail actually exists in the shadows if you save a picture in raw format rather than the highly compressed jpg format.  Samsung has a free app called Expert Raw that's a whole separate camera app.  It supposedly gives you these advanced editing capabilities.  I'm an iPhone guy so I haven't used it.  More info here.  Note that raw format files require a lot more storage space so unless you enjoy editing photos (I do), you'll probably only want to shoot a few shots that you may want to tweak before printing in raw format and just let the camera do its thing for the rest of your point and shoot pics.  I use the Adobe Lightroom Mobile app for the same capability.  I'm guessing LR Mobile is also available for an S22.

Yes, I have HDR on but have since I owned it.  It is not 3 shots of the same pic and it does.not happen all the time.  I have taken 4 pics at various spots with pauses between the shots and sometimes it groups them

I understand how HDR works and it is not grouping like that.

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Ozark_KidOK, I have the info for you. Open "Gallery". At the bottom make sure you select "pictures" not albums or stories. Now look at the top. See the square to the left of the search symbol and then the three vertical dots? Tapping the square turns grouping on and off.

Great job OB.  I have never noticed that before.  I will find out if it works.  I turned it back on.  When I see them grouped I will turn it off and see if they separate. 

40 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Ozark_KidOK, I have the info for you. Open "Gallery". At the bottom make sure you select "pictures" not albums or stories. Now look at the top. See the square to the left of the search symbol and then the three vertical dots? Tapping the square turns grouping on and off.

This is what I found.  You don't have to have it on while shooting for it to later group similar pics.  Just click to group the similar pics you. Click to separate.   Thanks for researching. 

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This is what I found.  You don't have to have it on while shooting for it to later group similar pics.  Just click to group the similar pics you. Click to separate.   Thanks for researching. 

Glad I helped. You were so helpful to me getting started with this new phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loved the snow capped mountains outside the indoor pool windows, and I konw you had a picture of the empty flowrider that first day.  Any chance you have seen it running at all on the cruise?  This will be our grandsons 4th Alaska cruise, 2 were Disney, now he just loves Royal, we bought him a wetsuit but i won't bring it if they are not running the flowrider- he loves that thing.  Thanks in advance if you happen to pass it anytime you're on deck loving the scenery, really enjoying your pictures and info!

13 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I'm already home. 

I'd get a City Pass and go to the Space needle, Pike Place Market, the Aquarum, etc.

These are great ideas.

Add to it: the Dale Chihuly glass museum and gardens near the Space Needle. Spectacular glass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, T-2 said:

Loved the snow capped mountains outside the indoor pool windows, and I konw you had a picture of the empty flowrider that first day.  Any chance you have seen it running at all on the cruise?  This will be our grandsons 4th Alaska cruise, 2 were Disney, now he just loves Royal, we bought him a wetsuit but i won't bring it if they are not running the flowrider- he loves that thing.  Thanks in advance if you happen to pass it anytime you're on deck loving the scenery, really enjoying your pictures and info!

Thanks.  I have not seen it used but that doesn't mean it's not.  You pretty much have to go to it to see it.  It has it's own space.  I do see it in the daily planner. 

20220515_214439.thumb.jpg.321a2d47f9a0acfc2fd7c64d15056796.jpg

• Thanks 1

First of all, thank you for doing this!  We are going on this exact same cruise on this same ship four weeks from now and following along with you has been so helpful!  Second, I had a question. One of the stops is listed as "Endicott Arm" from 7 am - Noon.  But it does not seem like that is an actual port.  Is that right? Is it that the boat just stops? Are there opportunities to get off of the boat and get closer to the glaciers?

2 hours ago, anniefannie0625 said:

First of all, thank you for doing this!  We are going on this exact same cruise on this same ship four weeks from now and following along with you has been so helpful!  Second, I had a question. One of the stops is listed as "Endicott Arm" from 7 am - Noon.  But it does not seem like that is an actual port.  Is that right? Is it that the boat just stops? Are there opportunities to get off of the boat and get closer to the glaciers?

It's like a fjord with beautiful scenery. If you look at your itinerary, it probably says cruising. :classic_smile: Not getting off the ship. 

• Like 2