Reflection suite perks

chaps612

Good day all. I just booked a great deal for the Reflection Christmas cruise in an S2. I was wondering if anyone with post covid experience could give me some insight? I've been on Reflection 3 times so I know the ship rather well. What I don't know is the following:

What is Michaels like? I was always a little curious but never gave it too much thought.

Never had a butler before so not sure how to use him/her.

Always wanted to try Luminae but is it much better than the MDR?

Will I be able to have them stock our fridge with drinks to our liking?
I've always tipped our room steward so do I need to tip both Butler and room steward?

Any other experiences are welcome as this is a whole new world for me and my family. Our daughter is 18 so will pretty much have free roam of the ship. 

Thank you

You topic is going to confuse some people as the Reflection has a top suite called the "Reflection Suite".  If possible you might want to change the topic to "Suite perks on the Reflection"

Michaels Club.   Nice lounge with a large U shape bar.

Luminae.   Food quality is above MDR, my opinion close to specialty dining venues.  Ambiance and service is where this dining room shines.  They will also allow you to order off the MDR menu on Reflection if you see things there that you prefer over the Luminae menu.   If you have questions about the fancy descriptions on the Luminae menu ask the waiter, they really understand the menu and can guide you.

If you have the premium package most Retreat Hosts (butler) will now offer to stock your mini fridge with your favorite soda, water and possibly beer.   Even if they don't (it's not an official perk) it's easy enough to stop by a bar on the way to the room and ask for an unopened beverage and that's no problem.

Butler is included in the automatic gratuity but I think you will find that many will give extra tip depending on the amount of requests and level of service.  Much like you would do with a stateroom attendant.

• Like 2

Michael’s is a lounge with dark walls, overstuffed furnishing no windows that aren’t covered with heavy drapery and too much furniture , IMO.  It does have a small bar that seats 10-12.  We spend very little time in there.  

Food is subjective I will say we find the Luminae  menu to be very limited however on the Reflection you can order from the MDR menu as well
There are some recent threads regarding butlers a search should get you lots of info.

• Like 2

Since you have cruised on the Reflection prior then no need to tell what a great ship she is. 

Personally Michael’s Club is not one of our favorite places. We enjoy cocktails at either the martini or World Class Bar (miss the Molecular bar🙂). We just don’t enjoy the feel of Michael’s. 

I like that Luminae is adjacent to the MDR as you can order from the MDR as well. Unfortunately the ship hasn’t been revolutionized so no proper Retreat. Having a Retreat Attendant (Butler) is nice. We don’t use the a lot but mainly for room service in the mornings for things such as coffee, etc. They can help with many areas. Don’t be afraid to ask them for something. Have fun. 

We were on the Reflection in a sky suite recently and it seemed to me that Micheal's was a more "happening place" than it had been in the past.  There was almost daily trivia, tea with foods, before dinner appetizers and some days music, meet ups with show staff and officers, even silent disco.  It may have been because this was at Trans Atlantic but the staff tried hard to make it into a more fun venue.  One of the benefits of Micheal's is covering the gap if you do not have the drink package. 

The main thing is to have easy comfortable access to help from the concierge staff.  Even if you don't need them for reservations, they can handle all the issues that come up just like guest services.  You will not have to stand in that line for anything except currency exchange or lost and found. They save so much time and it is so much more private than other "help" venues.  They also can make the NO you would have gotten at guest services into a YES.

Luminae is better than the MDR by a mile.  You are served at your own pace.  You are not grouped with the tables around you where one slow eater or one triple appetizer person can make twelve other people wait.

You will have an amazing experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

We were on the Reflection in a sky suite recently and it seemed to me that Micheal's was a more "happening place" than it had been in the past.  There was almost daily trivia, tea with foods, before dinner appetizers and some days music, meet ups with show staff and officers, even silent disco.  It may have been because this was at Trans Atlantic but the staff tried hard to make it into a more fun venue.

The programming was SOLELY because your cruise was a TA. None of those events occur in Michael's Club on a typical Caribbean sailing.

Lastly I can't fathom how in the world a silent disco would work there when it's stuffed to the gills with furniture. The pic attached is a photo from my Refection cruise this past Feb/March. The photo was taken around 6:45pm. Notice not a sole in the place. And where is one supposed to dance?

PXL_20220227_000243564.jpg

PXL_20220227_000221695.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, jelayne said:

Michael’s is a lounge with dark walls, overstuffed furnishing no windows that aren’t covered with heavy drapery and too much furniture , IMO.  It does have a small bar that seats 10-12.  We spend very little time in there.

On the other hand, our experience of Michael's Club / Retreat Lounge is... well, imagine a library with snacks and an open bar. How that hits is obviously highly personal. For us, it's basically heaven.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, kwokpot said:

The programming was SOLELY because your cruise was a TA. None of those events occur in Michael's Club on a typical Caribbean sailing.

Post-revolution Summit definitely had music occasionally, and a meet-the-officers event in early 2020 so at least some of this is not new. And heck, I think Silent Disco in there is a good idea. Silent Disco would take advantage of the venue always being quiet anyway, and Sileng Disco always makes for good people-watching. Plus there's a higher chance of seeing some suite passengers super tipsy. Sign me up!

In Luminae, even the breakfast pastries look way larger than those we saw on the buffet or at Bacio; we're convinced they hand-pick the best-looking and largest. Luminae is my Happy Place. My main complaint from previous visits? I didn't order enough mimosas.

We love Reflection!  Michael’s is convenient as a meeting place with cruise consultants, a place to stop in and grab waters and soda for our suite, etc.  As far as Luminae is concerned, we are not huge fans of their food.  We don’t enjoy “fussy” food…but the Luminae Burger on embarkation day is crazy good!  Food is so subjective!  One of the best “picnics” we had in our suite was rack of lamb, lobster tails, caesar salad from the MDR on an evening chic night.  Loved eating all that fabulous food wearing my jammies!

On 5/15/2022 at 6:45 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

We were on the Reflection in a sky suite recently and it seemed to me that Micheal's was a more "happening place" than it had been in the past.  There was almost daily trivia, tea with foods, before dinner appetizers and some days music, meet ups with show staff and officers, even silent disco.  It may have been because this was at Trans Atlantic but the staff tried hard to make it into a more fun venue.  One of the benefits of Micheal's is covering the gap if you do not have the drink package. 

The main thing is to have easy comfortable access to help from the concierge staff.  Even if you don't need them for reservations, they can handle all the issues that come up just like guest services.  You will not have to stand in that line for anything except currency exchange or lost and found. They save so much time and it is so much more private than other "help" venues.  They also can make the NO you would have gotten at guest services into a YES.

Luminae is better than the MDR by a mile.  You are served at your own pace.  You are not grouped with the tables around you where one slow eater or one triple appetizer person can make twelve other people wait.

You will have an amazing experience.

Definitely a different experience than we had.  We were going to the Caribbean.  No trivia, no silent disco, Officers did come in and chat with us.  The only person who knew how to make a drink appeared at 5:30 pm.  The bartender during the day had limited English skills.

1 hour ago, levramosis said:

On the other hand, our experience of Michael's Club / Retreat Lounge is... well, imagine a library with snacks and an open bar. How that hits is obviously highly personal. For us, it's basically heaven.

Post-revolution Summit definitely had music occasionally, and a meet-the-officers event in early 2020 so at least some of this is not new. And heck, I think Silent Disco in there is a good idea. Silent Disco would take advantage of the venue always being quiet anyway, and Sileng Disco always makes for good people-watching. Plus there's a higher chance of seeing some suite passengers super tipsy. Sign me up!

In Luminae, even the breakfast pastries look way larger than those we saw on the buffet or at Bacio; we're convinced they hand-pick the best-looking and largest. Luminae is my Happy Place. My main complaint from previous visits? I didn't order enough mimosas.

Yeah, if you like Motor City Wine, you'd like the original Michael's concept.  We enjoy it, too.

Not sure what @kwokpot means about none of what was listed being normal for other cruises.  Afternoon tea and a few munchies before dinner have been typical on our non-TA cruises, along with occasional solo music performances.  We did have officers in and out periodically as well.

Silent Disco - no, that was a separate event held elsewhere.  Trivia the same.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, canderson said:

few munchies before dinner have been typical on our non-TA cruises

The 'munchies' on our March cruise ended before we got there at 7pm. One evening we were there at 6:30 and the munchies consisted of one variety of crudite, celery stalks with spread. That was it. 

I had made a special request for a nightly cheese platter and my initial request was met with some resistance,followed by 'well if we do that for you you'll need to sit in the corner so it's not obvious to others we are honoring your special request,since everyone would want the same thing'. After a lengthy discussion with the Retreat hosts the amazing bartender Cranston volunteered to bring a cheese plate for my nightly apertivo. Otherwise there no snacks at all to be had,not even bar mix. And I'm talking about 6:45 -7pm,not 9-10pm.

We find atmosphere, activity range, food offerings etc does vary a bit from cruise to cruise…Some of this I think is dependent on the guests on board as well as the concierge staff. 

Generally each cruise we have experienced an officer’s event, usually first chic night. Then one or two musical events early evening. During the day there is usually a future cruise talk and the option to meet privately with future cruise staff. Concierge staff usually also arrange a helipad sail away and some behind the scenes tours. OP make sure you chat to the concierge if you would like a galley tour etc. However, it is possible that with the covid situation at present they may not be offering them.

We find if the same people pop in on a daily basis for pre or post dinner drinks chatting moves from the starting conversations to the building of long lasting friendships. Once a few guests are regularly  in then more are likely to walk in and stay and experience rather than turn around and go if they spot a ghost town.

I do think the manner and engagement of the concierge staff has a lot to do with the atmosphere also. There are those who sit at their decks/stand at their podium saying a quick ‘hello’ to guests as they enter and then there are those who circulate…Spending time to chat with guests, asking how their cruise is going, asking about their plans. 

We never use Michael’s/Retreat Lounge as our only bar but we often enjoy for a few pre dinner drinks. We were surprised how much we missed the regular events when during our staycation cruise no gatherings were arranged for obvious reasons.

Re food…In our experience you can order a cheese plate or something else to be delivered to your room but not usually to the Retreat Lounge. We usually order an afternoon tea selection in our suite at about 4pm. We have definitely seen some snacks available early evening every cruise, even during our staycation cruise when you had to be served, (certainly more than celery sticks) but have rarely eaten them. I wonder if many are presently not eating snacks (seeing them as buffet food) so they have reduced the number/range of offerings? Certainly I would pass on food left out in any venue at present.

OP, I hope you enjoy your first suite experience!

I think there is a fine balance re activities in Michael’s/Retreat. Many, like us, want a relaxing venue where we can enjoy a quiet drink and light conversation. We would not like trivia or the silent disco there. If we wanted to participate in those events we would go the usual venues.

Edited by chemmo

Lastly I can't fathom how in the world a silent disco would work there when it's stuffed to the gills with furniture. The pic attached is a photo from my Refection cruise this past Feb/March. The photo was taken around 6:45pm. Notice not a sole in the place. And where is one supposed to dance?

Why, on the tabletops of course !  

Tom

• Haha 1

We were in a S2 on the Reflection in March.  Love that ship, its crew and overall ambiance.   

Clearly different strokes for different folks   - 

We loved Luminae, the food, the service and options.   Not once did we find the need to order from the MDR menu.  We really enjoyed being able to have lunch in the Luminae during sea days rather than at the buffet.   

We much preferred having afternoon snacks and drinks on our balcony (a bit bigger in suites with full tables) brought by the suite host, who will bring whatever you want.   We had asked for daily fruit plates, veggies, hummus and dips and shrimp cocktail a couple of times.   

We found Michael's dark and dreary (once again, for us) and only went there once to speak to the Retreat Concierge (they are terrific and will handle any issues or questions you may have) 

The only problem that I see with being in a suite if that you will want to book them again and again.   

Enjoy! 

It would be more accurate to say that it was because it was a cruise with several at sea days. (Which wouldn’t include a typical Caribbean sailing)

I’ve had the same experience on a canal cruise and a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise.

Thanks again for the many differing opinions and experiences. We are very excited as it sounds amazing and probably not the best idea as procuring a suite will become the expectation for every future cruise!

On 5/16/2022 at 8:53 PM, canderson said:

Yeah, if you like Motor City Wine, you'd like the original Michael's concept.  We enjoy it, too.

OMG, yeah dude, Motor City Wine was one of our preferred hangouts before this pandemic crap.

On 5/17/2022 at 8:43 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Why, on the tabletops of course !

Haha, definitely thumbs up to that. Note to self, find silent disco at Michael's and tip bartenders extra hard to get somebody wasted enough to table dance. LOL

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, chaps612 said:

probably not the best idea as procuring a suite will become the expectation for every future cruise!

Basically yes. I have tried to talk my SO into trying to cruise cheap, maybe even try an inside *gasp* ... it's pretty much a nope.

I want to thank EVERYONE for this thread!

I have a group of 14 going on Reflection in Sept, all are in S1's and S2's and many of us haven't ventured above Aqua/Concierge so we're very excited!

I think, if my group, all goes to Michael's for pre-dinner it'll change the atmosphere in there, for sure!

Just off the Milennium, no snacks at bars or anywhere for pre dinner, just at the Oceanview, which was sad.

Question: re: Luminae, since we are such a big group will we have trouble dining at the same time?  I wrote dining reservations to see if we can reserve a time for all of us but not sure that's an option?

Plus so glad to hear Luminae is great, one of my friends/group loves Luminae and said they want every nite in there, no other specialty is needed!

Any recommendations is appreciated!😃

11 hours ago, J18ktleo said:

I have a group of 14 going on Reflection in Sept,

Question: re: Luminae, since we are such a big group will we have trouble dining at the same time?  I wrote dining reservations to see if we can reserve a time for all of us but not sure that's an option?

14 will not be a problem. Reflection has a double-sized Luminae (at least compared to M-class) and seats like 80-100 I'd guess. Talk to the maitre'd at lunch of embarkation day about what sort of seating arrangement your group will want, and ideally if you have an idea what time you'll be coming in for dinner. If you don't know when you'll come in for dinner it won't be a big problem but you will wait longer the first night if you ask for a unique arrangement. The Luminae staff very quickly learn what time you come for a dinner and plan for it. They try to put everyone at the same tables with the same waiter every meal during a cruise. It works great, just make sure you like where they put you the first night, and hopefully no one sits next to you wearing too much perfume and giving your SO an asthma attack like happened to us once. A crappy situation with Luminae full that night, and handled very gracefully by the staff.

19 hours ago, J18ktleo said:

Just one more thought.  Might be worthwhile calling  the 1-800-RETREAT line in advance of your cruise and noting your party size and how you'd like to sit.  Doubt they can do anything about it then and there, but they can note it so that hopefully the Luminae staff are already aware of it when you speak to them on the fist day as levramosis suggested above.

1 minute ago, Whinenowine said:

Just one more thought.  Might be worthwhile calling  the 1-800-RETREAT line in advance of your cruise and noting your party size and how you'd like to sit.  Doubt they can do anything about it then and there, but they can note it so that hopefully the Luminae staff are already aware of it when you speak to them on the fist day as levramosis suggested above.

That's a great suggestion, and yes, I will do that closer to sail date!

Thank you!!!