Will RCCL accept this proctored covid testing...?

22 minutes ago, BND said:

The Abbott (EMED) tests that Royal provides the link for don't have the CLIA number on the results either.  I just looked at mine again and there is no number.  I'm not sure why Royal says it's required when they recommend a test/lab that doesn't provide it.

Great news! This makes me feel a whole lot better.

2 hours ago, infoseeking said:

That's reassuring. I ended up doing a chat with Rapid Test and Trace. They said they do not provide a CLIA Lab number on the results. I hope our boarding agent is not nit picky.

Just a thought, but they are not a lab, just a telehealth service.  You are basically the lab.

3 hours ago, tj_shopper said:

My family (4 of us) just used Rapid Test and Trace this morning to do our COVID test.  Very efficient and quick.  We are boarding on Sunday, June 5th.  The email results in PDF has everything on there so I am confident this will be good.  If I remember, I will come back on here to let you know how boarding went.  I did chat with another person although through the Facebook group that said she used this service and had no problems boarding Royal Caribbean cruise with it.  The company was very professional and I kept getting reminder emails for my test.  I got a reminder two days before, one day before and then at 6:30 a.m. this morning.  My test was at 7:00 a.m.  

Please do!  thank you.  We board on Monday and my daughter is using this service.  She needs a rapid because she is still showing positive on a naat/pcr although she is 14 days from inital. I dont want to get to the cruise and have them not accept it and do a pcr at the port.

We tested at CVS this morning (myself, DH and two adult sons) for our cruise from Vancouver in two days. All negative, hooray!  As reported, the four results pages don't list the CLIA number either.  DH and I cruised on Liberty from Galveston in January; our tests then were from Walgreen's and those didn't have the CLIA number either.  As others have said, that may not be as important as your name, birthdate and the big ol' NEGATIVE word at the top of the page.  🙂

36 minutes ago, tj_shopper said:

@infoseeking@johnjen

Agreed.  I’m going to try not to stress about this, but easier said than done as I’m a nervous sort of person lol!

I feel better knowing that we are think the same way.  I will try to remember to come back on here to let you all know.  We leave this Sunday.

Yes, definitely let us know if you get a contrarian counter clerk! If they raise a fuss over the missing CLIA, just politely tell them you spoke with a RCL agent on the phone and she said that is not required any longer. You'll get a "deer-in-headlights" look from the clerk, they'll wave you in. Congrats in advance, you jedi mind tricker!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, infoseeking said:

The emed test my husband did this morning has a CLIA number.

Hopefully the picture will upload. I erased the personal info and part of the CLIA number. Little messy since I'm doing it on my phone.

1859788329_cbcda59d-052e-4fb6-9c56-ae831ae2cb9a2.thumb.jpg.be11a1503687e6fd5047a32d1063a1ac.jpg

My PDF from March 31 that I printed out and took to the port didn't have the CLIA #.  Your report looks very different than ours did.  Ours was printed from what was emailed to us.

Edited by BND

3 hours ago, johnjen said:

The ONLY problem is that an ELEPHANT can walk from Detroit to Chicago in less time (while grazing) than it takes these free USPS tests to arrive to your home after you ordered them a month back.

Re-order after 10 days.  I found the ones I ordered 2 weeks ago never went past the acknowledgement step.  I ordered them again 2 days ago and they will be delivered today.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:18 PM, smokeybandit said:

The binax ones cost no more than $13 each once you submit for insurance reimbursement ($25 per test, minimum $12 reimbursement per test)

Where are you finding the BinaxNow proctored tests for $25?  

The link directly from the RC site has them 3 for $99 free shipping.  Emed directly you can get 6 for $149.99 plus $22 shipping.

33 minutes ago, BND said:

My PDF from March 31 that I printed out and took to the port didn't have the CLIA #.  Your report looks very different than ours did.  Ours was printed from what was emailed to us.

Hmm, the results I posted above were from clicking through an email from Navica saying to log on to our account for results. 

I just searched through our emails. I found the one directly from emed with a PDF attached. That document does not have a CLIA number, for the same test reported by Navica. I feel much reassured that a CLIA number is not necessary.

4 hours ago, infoseeking said:

Has anyone successfully boarded with the Rapid Test and Trace documents? 

https://rapidtestandtrace.com/

My daughter and I both just tested with them and I noticed the results documents they emailed us don't list the lab CLIA number or certification number.

Per Royal Caribbean "You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result."

I have an email out to Rapid Test and Trace asking if this information can be added.

OK. I gave this more thought. I contacted Rapid Test & Trace about this "CLIA" crap that's required by Royal. They told me that the CDC does NOT require it for travel, so they don't provide it. SO...just to be on the safe end, I may be canceling our proctoring with Rapid Test & Trace and now waiting for an answer from "On Point Testing" another proctoring service. If they say they provide this CLIA or not, I will post the answer here.

Seriously. I think this is another technical writer gaffe from Royal Caribbean. They don't seriously need a CLIA. Someone at RCL is going above and beyond what the CDC requires for travel testing!

About the CLIA number:

At the get-go, BinaxNOW was who RCCL partnered with for testing.  Putting a link on their web site for people to buy the tests.  We were all relieved that we had a very convenient way to do this, especially people who were traveling 2 days before the test.  Great!  It's portable, and you can do it with your phone or a computer.

I think RCCL included the CLIA number in their policy statement because BinaxNOW, their testing partner includes it on their test resultsIt was a convenient way to grab the info required.

Today I did an online chat with Test and Trace, and like previously posted above, they follow CDC guidelines for travel testing and the CLIA is not required by the CDC. 

I think there is no problem about it not being included, because Test and Trace actually partners with the US Government, and clearly states they will do testing with the use of the free tests provided by the US Gov.

To test this, I'm going to use both on my next cruise (caveat:  I'm not going until September, and the BinaxNOW test kit expires in November).  I'll take both results with me, but I think the T&T will be accepted.

By that time I'm sure we'll have plenty more feedback on this thread, too.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 5:27 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Are people really submitting for insurance payments for a test needed for a vacation? No wonder insurance is so high.  I’ve used EMed test twice now, never even considered my health insurance would owe me money for a vacation. 

Do you really think insurance is high because of 12 usd reimbursement that prevents you from infecting dozens of other people if you were actually infected?

Most will put it down under extremely cheap cost saving measure.

Think about cost to insurance companies (private or government) when people who do not believe in vaccines/mask end up getting hospitalized.

But if your insurance explicitly says that it does not cover without exposure or symptoms then of course you should not submit claim.

Fortunately, our employer strongly believes in preventive measures.

Edited by hal2008

You can search for the CLIA number for labs from this site-

https://www.cms.gov/apps/clia/clia_start.asp

I used this when traveling to St John when testing was required and I noticed the CLIA number was needed, so I found the lab and printed it off.  Be forewarned, on CVS some of them can be found under Minute Clinic and some under CVS Pharmacy.

ETA:  While not a cruise, the agent when we arrived never looked at or asked for it.  Just checked that we had test results and our QR code (needed at the time)

Edited by babyblue78

Hey everyone!  The 12 of us are on our cruise right now.  We all had different agents and the only thing they looked at was the big Negative word and that was it.  They did not look for the CLIA number at all.  The agent for a couple of my friends didn’t even ask to see their COVID vaccine card.  We figured since they loaded it on their app, it must have been already reviewed.

A note of caution.  When you go through security at the cruise port, you cannot bring in any opened bottles of water or any water in your water jug/container.  They will make you pour it out.  You can bring in unopened bottles of water and of course, your two bottles of wine per cabin.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

For follow up, we made it on the cruise today without the agent looking for a CLIA number. She looked for the negative result and specifically for the date the test was taken.

Two of us had tested through  Rapid Test and Trace and two through Emed.

Our vaccine cards were checked. They even took a new picture of my 10 year old's card since she got a booster shot since I originally uploaded it. Even though the booster isn't required for her.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, tj_shopper said:

@infoseeking@johnjen

Agreed.  I’m going to try not to stress about this, but easier said than done as I’m a nervous sort of person lol!

I feel better knowing that we are think the same way.  I will try to remember to come back on here to let you all know.  We leave this Sunday.

Any updates? How did the testing go? Did they go frantic over you not having this CLIA nonsense?

Just got home from Symphony of the Seas  cruise today and used rapidtestandtrace.com with no issues. Used the free tests provided by USPS and brought the printed negative result letter to the port and flew through checkin with no issues.  Very convenient and easy.

• Like 1

OK, I am realizing that this company called "Rapid Test & Trace USA" might not be a good way to test because they do not have a direct phone number to speak with anyone should the scheduled meetup go wrong.

Also, they do NOT specifically mention that you MUST install Microsoft Teams to facilitate this. And, I don't see exactly what they do during the session. 

Anyone have the same feelings?

On 6/6/2022 at 6:08 PM, johnjen said:

Any updates? How did the testing go? Did they go frantic over you not having this CLIA nonsense?

The testing went fine - very easy to do.  No problem with the results not having the CLIA number.  They never even looked.  They made sure the test was negative and we were on our way.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, johnjen said:

OK, I am realizing that this company called "Rapid Test & Trace USA" might not be a good way to test because they do not have a direct phone number to speak with anyone should the scheduled meetup go wrong.

Also, they do NOT specifically mention that you MUST install Microsoft Teams to facilitate this. And, I don't see exactly what they do during the session. 

Anyone have the same feelings?

There is a number they give you after you set up the test.  When my test time was up and I was on hold for 5 minutes, I got nervous, so I called them.  They said to be patient and sure enough, someone did come on.  It was very simple testing and I'm glad I did it in the comfort of my home.

I didn't have a problem with Microsoft Teams as I use this for work.  I did download it onto my husband's phone for his test.  Again, simple, not a problem.

On 5/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, alexgtp said:

Seems to fulfill RCL criteria: of PROCTERED, and the price is a lot cheaper than BINAXNOW option. Interesting to try.
image.thumb.png.9bb35838fb254a9fe5d495b0a8ab000e.png

What you circled is not the "RCL Criteria". The RCCL Requirements are:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. 

BTW: Our insurance company covers 100% of the BINAXNOW proctored test, so our cost is $0. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

What you circled is not the "RCL Criteria". The RCCL Requirements are:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. 

BTW: Our insurance company covers 100% of the BINAXNOW proctored test, so our cost is $0. 

You can be a proponent for emed tests all you wish. RCI does agree that it has to be a proctored antigen test. In spite of this CLIA test nonsense, it is not a requirement, because most pharmacies and testing sites do not print it on their test results. CLIA is a voluntary organization, and check in people are no longer looking for it now that there are so many other testing options are available. 

I'm not buying anymore antigen tests, now that I have an entire box of FDA, EUA approved tests that were actually fully covered by my insurance. My insurer will provide me with 8 tests a month, they will only reimburse $12 for emed tests. :classic_smile: The proctoring fee for them is minimal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tj_shopper said:

There is a number they give you after you set up the test.  When my test time was up and I was on hold for 5 minutes, I got nervous, so I called them.  They said to be patient and sure enough, someone did come on.  It was very simple testing and I'm glad I did it in the comfort of my home.

I didn't have a problem with Microsoft Teams as I use this for work.  I did download it onto my husband's phone for his test.  Again, simple, not a problem.

I use Teams at work, on the laptop. But they never gave us a notice ahead this was required. We didn't have Teams on this desktop at the house, only Zoom. I just didn't get the warm and fuzzy from this company whatsoever. Wasn't feeling the support at all.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

You can be a proponent for emed tests all you wish. RCI does agree that it has to be a proctored antigen test. In spite of this CLIA test nonsense, it is not a requirement, because most pharmacies and testing sites do not print it on their test results. CLIA is a voluntary organization, and check in people are no longer looking for it now that there are so many other testing options are available. 

I'm not buying anymore antigen tests, now that I have an entire box of FDA, EUA approved tests that were actually fully covered by my insurance. My insurer will provide me with 8 tests a month, they will only reimburse $12 for emed tests. :classic_smile: The proctoring fee for them is minimal.

Patty, I'm going to try your company for my next test.  So the free tests that I got from USPS has two kits in it, but the box needs to be unopened for the test right?  So basically that second test that's in the box cannot be used for proctoring I am assuming?  Or am I missing something?

• Like 1