Nickel and Diming at Izumi on Freedom

On the Freedom now...went to Izumi last night and they billed things differently than we are used to. We have the Unlimited Dining and have used that for the Hibachi several times in the past. It's always been a $10 upcharge no matter what we ordered.

This time, they charged $10 if you got the 1-meat meal, but charged $15 for the 2-meat option. They also charged us for the sushi appetizer we got. When I explained we had the UDP they said you can't use that while at a hibachi table. Not sure if that is the "right" policy or not but we have ordered sushi at the hibachi table 4 times in the past year, never been charged extra with UDP. They literally told us if we leave and come back 20 min later then we can get sushi included.

Sad to see this changing. Might make us rethink the UDP on these short 3 day cruises 

16 minutes ago, jrapps said:

we have ordered sushi at the hibachi table 4 times in the past year, never been charged extra with UDP. 

Count yourself very fortunate if that’s the case.  These rules have been in effect for some time.  Only Star Class get sushi and unlimited proteins at no extra charge at hibachi.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Count yourself very fortunate if that’s the case.  These rules have been in effect for some time.  Only Star Class get sushi and unlimited proteins at no extra charge at hibachi.  

Good to know. I don't mind following policy, just strange that it's not consistent across the fleet. I think it's a foolish policy as I already paid for the unlimited dining, why make me leave and come back? I've been at playmakers and when I hit the $20 limit, they just close the check and open a new one. Odd that Izumi can't do the same.

What about the $15 upcharge, is that also standard (as opposed to just the $10 upcharge we usually pay)

I was wishing izumi was included with the diamond plus bogo. Its excluded. Grandeur only has 3 choices and I'm not a huge steak eater. $21 surcharge for lobster in chops and izumi excluded :(

I dont like italian before someone says just go italian. 

not sure I'd do this ship again. 

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

On the Freedom now...went to Izumi last night and they billed things differently than we are used to. We have the Unlimited Dining and have used that for the Hibachi several times in the past. It's always been a $10 upcharge no matter what we ordered.

This time, they charged $10 if you got the 1-meat meal, but charged $15 for the 2-meat option. They also charged us for the sushi appetizer we got. When I explained we had the UDP they said you can't use that while at a hibachi table. Not sure if that is the "right" policy or not but we have ordered sushi at the hibachi table 4 times in the past year, never been charged extra with UDP. They literally told us if we leave and come back 20 min later then we can get sushi included.

Sad to see this changing. Might make us rethink the UDP on these short 3 day cruises 

What's the coming back 20 minutes later have to do with how you are charged? Happy hour for Sushi now? that's a new one?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jrapps said:

Good to know. I don't mind following policy, just strange that it's not consistent across the fleet. I think it's a foolish policy as I already paid for the unlimited dining, why make me leave and come back? I've been at playmakers and when I hit the $20 limit, they just close the check and open a new one. Odd that Izumi can't do the same.

What about the $15 upcharge, is that also standard (as opposed to just the $10 upcharge we usually pay)

I don’t understand the whole “come back in 20 minutes”.  That makes no sense at all.  The $15 for 2 proteins is legit.

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What's the coming back 20 minutes later have to do with how you are charged? Happy hour for Sushi now? that's a new one?

You can do a progressive dinner if you want. Sushi appetizer, Chops steak, Playmakers sundae, for example.

The "come back in 20 minutes" is part of that.

I'm not saying that it isn't crazy for them to be told that, but that's the reasoning.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

You can do a progressive dinner if you want. Sushi appetizer, Chops steak, Playmakers sundae, for example.

The "come back in 20 minutes" is part of that.

I'm not saying that it isn't crazy for them to be told that, but that's the reasoning.

Wow, make you work for your dinner. Amazing. My wife has been wanting me to slow down while eating......but this seems like a lot of work.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, make you work for your dinner. Amazing. My wife has been wanting me to slow down while eating......but this seems like a lot of work.

You see this as "a lot of work".  Others see it as an opportunity to have variety.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

You see this as "a lot of work".  Others see it as an opportunity to have variety.

I just need good food where we decide to eat, one place is fine. Don't need to make  it a marathon walking around the ship to eat. Do you get a table when doing this walking around to each venue or do you have to do take out? If getting a table and none are available what then wait an hour in between each place to get the next course? How's that work?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

20220520_171745.jpg

Would that be a spider roll I see in the foreground?  My all, all, all time favorite!

(Excuse me, I have to go wipe my chin:  I'm drooling all over it).

15 minutes ago, pcur said:

Would that be a spider roll I see in the foreground?  My all, all, all time favorite!

(Excuse me, I have to go wipe my chin:  I'm drooling all over it).

This is from our local Sushi place in Wytheville, Virginia:

Tokyo Japanese Seafood & Steakhouse

https://www.beyondmenu.com/25288/wytheville/tokyo-japanese-seafood-and-steakhouse-wytheville-24382.aspx

Longer one is a :

Wytheville Roll
Shrimp Tempura, Avocado & Eel inside, top with King Crab, Masago inside Sauce

Shorter one is a:
Shrimp Tempura Roll