Embarkation in Vancouver

Molliem

30 minutes ago, Molliem said:

How are the lineups in Vancouver to embark?  US Customs was a challenge apparently at the beginning of cruise season resulting in massive lineups.

We recently sailed out of Vancouver on Royal Princess.We boarded May 2nd. We arrived a short time before our "scheduled boarding group". We were in a loooooooooooooooooooong line that took a good hour before we got to the first check-in hurdle. At least it was inside.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Embarkation in Vancouver is quite frankly a zoo.  We went in 2019 and the lines were very, very, long and it took at least an hour to get to US customs.  Maybe better now, but I highly doubt it.

2 hours ago, dog said:

May 4 th- - took under an hour in priority/ suite/ elite line up. 

We didn't have the option of an Elite line. It was a "one size fits all" line. Lame.

I work at the Vancouver port - it is entirely dependent on number of ships in (if you have a one ship day it's a breeze. A 3 ship day is a hurricane...) Other things that greatly impact boarding include how quickly the ship is able to disembark (currently, if there are Covid positives on a ship, they are not able to disembark until a plan has been made for them - try finding a hotel last minute in Vancouver right now with all the staff shortages...), whether or not there is a coastguard drill/ship inspection (totally out of control of either port staff or ship staff), how quickly security opens up and how many security screeners they have working, how quickly US CBP opens up and how many officers they have working...there are so many moving parts in Vancouver that it really can (and often does) come to a grinding halt!

As a passenger, you can help yourself by knowing exactly what you need and having it ready to go - I am constantly amazed when folks have been standing in line and, when they get to me, then have to rummage around in their bags looking for passports, etc...have your stuff out and ready and it will speed things up at least a little bit! My experience with the port is that the early folks are the ones that miss the most of the lines, along with the really last minute folks. Those that get there around 10am can be through check in, security and immigration relatively fast but may need to wait in the holding area to board the ship if it's not ready (goal is 11:30am boarding). I would personally prefer to be at this point than standing in the often HUGE line up for security and US CBP - this line starts upstairs and can be upwards of an hour when it's bad!

A few things to remember - any hold ups from security or US CBP are out of the control of any of the port staff and any of the ship staff. No amount of complaining to these folks will help. There is nothing we can do about it. Any hold ups to boarding the ship due to inspections/drills are out of the control of any of the port staff or the ship staff. I have found it very rare to have passengers held up at check in - this is usually upstairs in Hall C and is a pretty seamless process. This is the part port staff have control over. From here, you head downstairs to security and CBP. This is where the lines build up. If you're lucky, once through these two you are straight on the ship. If the ship isn't ready, you will need to sit and wait in the terminal (there should be priority area for when boarding does begin). Just remember to pack some patience, be nice to those of us that are trying our best to get you on your ship, and remember...you could be at home/at work instead of going on a cruise!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Unfortunately, most passengers do not have the luxury of being in the priority line.  

59 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We didn't have the option of an Elite line. It was a "one size fits all" line. Lame.

Hey,

just sharing my experience, like others.

no need for response.

• Like 2

Calling the situation on the Cruise level at Canada Place a “zoo” is offensive to adorable animals and hard-working zookeepers.   The problem is entirely on CBP and Port Management - there isn’t enough space to keep security flowing when CBP gets backed up, and *most of the time*, the CBP backup is not for US nationals - I’ve seen plenty of days where some lines are empty but the queue for foreign nationals has bogged down and blocked access. 

If you have NEXUS or Global Entry, bring the card.  There *should* be priority security access to the left of the nightmare queue, and this *should* drop you in to the NEXUS/GE lanes to the far left of the Wall of CBP.   If there’s no priority security queue, as soon as you get out of the X-ray area, ask staff for the NEXUS/GE line, which usually starts just as you enter the CBP area, to the left.  It is historically not well signed or evident, and staff may have it cordoned off to open on request.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, mpk said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would US CBP check people upon embarkation at Canada Place?

Because the first port of call will be in the USA (Alaska), so they clear you when boarding the ship instead of having to do immigration when you reach an Alaska port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Because the first port of call will be in the USA (Alaska), so they clear you when boarding the ship instead of having to do immigration when you reach an Alaska port.

Yes, we did this, And no checks in Alaska or Seattle where we disembarked.

My experience was nothing like the descriptions we were reading about re: Ruby earlier in year out of SF.

As a first time elite, and one using my FCC to stay in a suite for 4 days on a new ship, I was lucky this time at getting through embarkation process in just under an hour.

No sour grapes on my part. 

12 hours ago, dog said:

Hey,

just sharing my experience, like others.

no need for response.

I didn’t mean any disrespect to you at all!  So sorry if I sounded snarky, Dog.  My comment was a general disappointment with Vancouver embarkation.  Thanks for sharing your experience, as your comments are always spot on!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Canada Place is set up exactly like an airport - you check in to your cruiseline, EVERYONE goes through the same security, EVERYONE goes through the same US immigration, and then you branch off to your "gate"....

Great explanation. Great analogy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

On our Discovery cruise, there were still several morons in line for a different later boarding time that what they were letting in, even after the terminal personnel were shouting up and down the line what specific time was being allowed in.  And yes, you had to show your boarding time to at least two separate people to proceed.

This is the first post I have seen about arrival times actually  being enforced at any Princess port of embarkation.

• Like 1

Before I checked out of my hotel at 12, on the May 4th Discovery cruise, there were roll call members posting their dirty banana drinks from the ship. They boarded first within 1/2 hour.

If boarding times were adhered to it might help.

The staff working in the Vancouver terminal were friendly, polite & doing their best on the day I was there.

Times for some have been tough & people should pack their patience.

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I assume you are referring to the one line for security/US CBP rather than having one line to check into your ship/board your ship? If so, yes, that is the case as Canada Place is set up exactly like an airport - you check in to your cruiseline, EVERYONE goes through the same security, EVERYONE goes through the same US immigration, and then you branch off to your "gate"....

In case it's helpful to anyone, this is the current process (could change - don't shoot the messenger):

1. Bag drop: This will be either cruise terminal level or P2 level - either way, it's a pain as elevators get backed up and can take a while. 

2. Check in: This is on street level at the Convention Centre. Princess is almost always in Hall C. Easy to take the escalator up from cruise terminal level but elevator only from parking level. At check in, there IS a priority line for elite/suite etc. There are also lots of chairs set up for anyone that arrives prior to check in opening. We aim to open it by 10am, but since we all work disembark as well, if we are still getting that piece cleared we can't be in two places at once. At check in you will need passports, proof of vaccination, negative test, and ArriveCan if you are visiting a Canadian port. 

3. Once checked in you will go back downstairs to the terminal level to pass through security. EVERY cruise passenger goes through in the same line. No priority for anyone. 

4. After clearing security, you will go to US CBP. Everyone goes through the same line. No cruiseline priority, but they do have Nexus/Global Entry priority.

5. From here you are filtered through to your ship. If boarding has not started, there will be a seating area to wait. There is priority for getting on first given to elite/suite/etc. If the ship is ready, you just walk straight on so no priority needed.

Is it a perfect system? Definitely not. BUT, as someone else mentioned, this port is not equipped to handle the number of monster ships that it does. It doesn't have the space or the manpower. We do the best we can with what we have and, for the most part, it works. It really is no different than being at an airport - so come with that thought in mind and you may not be so disappointed!

Great explanation. Thank you. 
I have another question. We would like to take a tour of Vancouver the day we board. The tour begins at 10:00AM and ends at 3:00PM. Ship leaves port at 4:30PM. How easy would it be to drop off our luggage at the port at 10:00AM and have our tour guide pick us up there? 

4 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

I have another question. We would like to take a tour of Vancouver the day we board. The tour begins at 10:00AM and ends at 3:00PM. Ship leaves port at 4:30PM. How easy would it be to drop off our luggage at the port at 10:00AM and have our tour guide pick us up there? 

Dropping your bags at that time shouldn't be an issue. I would arrange to meet your tour guide on street level rather than in the terminal - it can be tough to get in/out of there at that time of day. You could drop your bags and then just walk upstairs and meet your driver just outside Pan Pacific, where most tour buses pick up. If the driver drops you back there at 3pm you would just walk straight into the Convention Centre to check in and wouldn't need to be dropped down in the terminal.

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I assume you are referring to the one line for security/US CBP rather than having one line to check into your ship/board your ship? If so, yes, that is the case as Canada Place is set up exactly like an airport - you check in to your cruiseline, EVERYONE goes through the same security, EVERYONE goes through the same US immigration, and then you branch off to your "gate"....

In case it's helpful to anyone, this is the current process (could change - don't shoot the messenger):

1. Bag drop: This will be either cruise terminal level or P2 level - either way, it's a pain as elevators get backed up and can take a while. 

2. Check in: This is on street level at the Convention Centre. Princess is almost always in Hall C. Easy to take the escalator up from cruise terminal level but elevator only from parking level. At check in, there IS a priority line for elite/suite etc. There are also lots of chairs set up for anyone that arrives prior to check in opening. We aim to open it by 10am, but since we all work disembark as well, if we are still getting that piece cleared we can't be in two places at once. At check in you will need passports, proof of vaccination, negative test, and ArriveCan if you are visiting a Canadian port. 

3. Once checked in you will go back downstairs to the terminal level to pass through security. EVERY cruise passenger goes through in the same line. No priority for anyone. 

4. After clearing security, you will go to US CBP. Everyone goes through the same line. No cruiseline priority, but they do have Nexus/Global Entry priority.

5. From here you are filtered through to your ship. If boarding has not started, there will be a seating area to wait. There is priority for getting on first given to elite/suite/etc. If the ship is ready, you just walk straight on so no priority needed.

Is it a perfect system? Definitely not. BUT, as someone else mentioned, this port is not equipped to handle the number of monster ships that it does. It doesn't have the space or the manpower. We do the best we can with what we have and, for the most part, it works. It really is no different than being at an airport - so come with that thought in mind and you may not be so disappointed!

This information is spot on and much appreciated.  I sail frequently from Vancouver and have always found the staff to be helpful, patient and professional.  Prior to scheduled arrival times, I found the secret to breezing through the boarding process was to arrive later in the afternoon.  Even when I did face a crowd, remembering why I was there, to embark on a relaxing cruise, helped with getting through the line ups.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crystabel said:

Hopefully you will have no traffic or other problems in getting back to the ship. Would be very bad to miss the ship departure.  We would never do something like this on Embarkation day. Can it be done? Yes it can. Things do happen though. 

• Like 1

Great to know that there is a Global Entry lane for CBP.  I always enjoy the privilege of going through customs in Canada before catching a flight back to the US. I think it is a nice perk that CBP provides. This will be my first time cruising from Canada, so I hope all goes smoothly. 

• Like 1