Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

5 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

We are on the Monday sailing also. Not sure how it will work if  the Conquest is headed back to Port Canaveral and we are suppose to embark at Port Miami 😫

They’ve done sailings previously where they’ve dropped of passengers at port Canaveral in the morning and picked up passengers at Miami in the afternoon.  It may require a delayed embarkation but it’s still very possible. 

• Like 4

I NEVER expected Carnival to cancel another cruise and send a ship down to pick up those folks in Grand Turk. That's about as good of an outcome you could get if you're on Carnival Freedom. An extra day in Grand Turk, the ship is your floating hotel where everything is still working, and you'll still get a full Sea Day on the way back to Port Canaveral. Totally SUCKS for the folks who were set to sail Conquest on Saturday but that's truly remarkable what Carnival is doing. I never ever expected them to send another ship. 

• Like 4

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, wrp96 said:

They’ve done sailings previously where they’ve dropped of passengers at port Canaveral in the morning and picked up passengers at Miami in the afternoon.  It may require a delayed embarkation but it’s still very possible. 

That brought back memories reminding me of a  fun for all event. Everybody drank their carry on wine before the ship ever arrived 😂

49 minutes ago, Bhern05 said:

Was supposed to be on Conquest tomorrow. Disappointed is the understatement of the century. Now stuck with no plans for Memorial Day and whatever is left or available is $$$$. Just glad I'm a local so not a huge inconvenience, but imagine the people who are flying, driving, already in hotels for their cruise tomorrow. What a mess..

Well, maybe you should see if you can get on Liberty tomorrow from Port Canaveral. It is a 3 day that goes to Bimini.

24 minutes ago, Srw1969 said:

We are supposed to be sailing on the Conquest Monday out of Miami. Will be interested if our cruise is changed since they are using that ship for the people in Grand Turk. 

Your cruise is shortened a day 😞

Depends on when conquest gets into Port Canaveral Monday morning.  If it’s weee early in the morning because they sailed at a pretty good speed they could disembark passengers early Monday morning get back under way and be in Miami by afternoon.  It’s what 240-250ish miles from port Canaveral to port of Miami?  Ships cruise at  ~22 knots (25mph) that’s about 9 to 10 hours back to Miami.  Hmmm. Yaaa. Would be cutting it close with turn around time, restocking the ship with food fuel and other supplies.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

I NEVER expected Carnival to cancel another cruise and send a ship down to pick up those folks in Grand Turk. That's about as good of an outcome you could get if you're on Carnival Freedom. An extra day in Grand Turk, the ship is your floating hotel where everything is still working, and you'll still get a full Sea Day on the way back to Port Canaveral. Totally SUCKS for the folks who were set to sail Conquest on Saturday but that's truly remarkable what Carnival is doing. I never ever expected them to send another ship. 

This feels like a lesson from past mistakes. If the Freedom suffers a failure on its way back, it would be the Triumph situation all over again (possibly worse). With passengers off the ship when it heads for repairs, they can be very tight lipped about what is or isn't going wrong onboard.

It sounds likey they are hoping to downplay the entire incident, and this is likely the best way to achieve that (not to mention the safest, most comfortable and most reasonable path for all the guests).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brad1972 said:

Depends on when conquest gets into Port Canaveral Monday morning.  If it’s weee early in the morning because they sailed at a pretty good speed they could disembark passengers early Monday morning get back under way and be in Miami by afternoon.  It’s what 240-250ish miles from port Canaveral to port of Miami?  Ships cruise at  ~22 knots (25mph) that’s about 9 to 10 hours back to Miami.  Hmmm. Yaaa. Would be cutting it close with turn around time, restocking the ship with food fuel and other supplies.

The crew will turn the ship over en transit and probably will get a jump on taking on extra stores tomorrow before they head to Grand Turk. The passenger unloading process takes a few hours at least so. It wouldn't be much different than loading for a week cruise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Totally SUCKS for the folks who were set to sail Conquest on Saturday but that's truly remarkable what Carnival is doing. I never ever expected them to send another ship. 

I'm guessing it was the best (and least expensive) option for Carnival.  You have a way to provide lodging and food for their two day journey back if going by ship.  It is probably much cheaper than trying to arrange air travel for 3000 people.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Srw1969 said:

We are supposed to be sailing on the Conquest Monday out of Miami. Will be interested if our cruise is changed since they are using that ship for the people in Grand Turk. 

Your sailing will now leave Tuesday and be shortened by one day. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-freedom-to-undergo-dry-dock-another-carnival-cruise-ship-to-assist/72827

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Well, maybe you should see if you can get on Liberty tomorrow from Port Canaveral. It is a 3 day that goes to Bimini.

Your cruise is shortened a day 😞

already did. its completely sold out even thought the website shows availability at first look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dallasdan said:

I have been on 18 cruises without a passport or travel insurance with no instances.  I fail to see how a passport or travel insurance would help you when it is a Carnival ship problem.  Carnival will get you home.

I agree in this situation that Carnival is taking care of their guests. In general it's a matter of risk tolerance and everyone has to make that determination on their own, similar to the stock market. Personally I've always cruised with a passport but in the last couple of years I've added travel insurance to my toolbox and it's proven to be quite convenient a couple of times, especially in our current travel environment. In this situation stuff happened on Carnival's watch but sometimes that's not the case and you have to take matters in your own hands, you never know what will happen. I prefer to place the power in my hands and not in someone else's. Happy cruising and I hope that you never find your a$$ swinging in the breeze.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Your sailing will now leave Tuesday and be shortened by one day. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-freedom-to-undergo-dry-dock-another-carnival-cruise-ship-to-assist/72827

I wonder how accurate cruisehive is. Our count down clock went from 3 days and some hours to 4 days and 32 minutes which would now lead me to believe we are still leaving Monday but at 730 pm instead of 330pm.  Have not gotten any update from Carnival yet. If we are leaving a day late they need to let us know cause we have to covid test tomorrow n Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

And that compares how to other cruise lines?

Not sure but I suspect similar.

When you mentioned Carnival stock was up about a buck today I thought it would be helpful to give the bigger picture. I could be wrong but I think Carnival's stock will suffer a bit from these recent events. It might take a few days to start seeing that.

14 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

I wonder how accurate cruisehive is

Well, considering that they mention several times in the article that the Freedom will be heading "to a drydock", I wouldn't hold out too much accuracy.  There is absolutely no reason for the ship to drydock for any repairs from this.  They will likely go alongside the wet berth for crane service to lift things up to the funnel.  The only reason the ship would possibly go into a drydock, would be to take advantage of additional crane service, but they would not lift the ship out of the water.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

I wonder how accurate cruisehive is. Our count down clock went from 3 days and some hours to 4 days and 32 minutes which would now lead me to believe we are still leaving Monday but at 730 pm instead of 330pm.  Have not gotten any update from Carnival yet. If we are leaving a day late they need to let us know cause we have to covid test tomorrow n Saturday.

They usually have good information. I’m sure things are still being discussed and it’s possible Carnival is working to see if they can leave later on Monday rather than losing the whole day.

1 hour ago, flcraigs5 said:

We are on the Monday sailing also. Not sure how it will work if  the Conquest is headed back to Port Canaveral and we are suppose to embark at Port Miami 😫

Ah. I missed that.

I’ve seen comments about why not move Freedom guests to Mardi Gras. We assume that MG is sailing full, so they can’t move folks from Freedom to MG. You can’t sail a cruise with more passengers than available life boat spaces. Can you imagine how bad that would look if they moved everyone from Freedom to MG, a catastrophic abandon ship event happen on MG, and then you can’t get everyone off because there isn’t enough room in the lifeboats?

• Like 1

It seems strange to me that they are sending Conquest to pick up the passengers instead of Liberty. Conquest is losing 4 days of sailing while Liberty could just lose 3. I suspect that the Conquest sailing that is cancelled and the one that is shortened had a much lower occupancy that tomorrow's Liberty sailing. Liberty is a few cabins smaller, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue as I expect a few people on Freedom will fly back from Grand Turk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Ah. I missed that.

Which is why I'm kind of surprised they didn't utilize the Liberty (Friday-Monday cruise out of Pt Canaveral) for this - unless there's too many miles to get down there and back.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Which is why I'm kind of surprised they didn't utilize the Liberty (Friday-Monday cruise out of Pt Canaveral) for this - unless there's too many miles to get down there and back.

Tom

I bet the Liberty was booked at higher capacity?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RED318is said:

It seems strange to me that they are sending Conquest to pick up the passengers instead of Liberty. Conquest is losing 4 days of sailing while Liberty could just lose 3. I suspect that the Conquest sailing that is cancelled and the one that is shortened had a much lower occupancy that tomorrow's Liberty sailing. Liberty is a few cabins smaller, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue as I expect a few people on Freedom will fly back from Grand Turk.

It's awesome for the folks on the Freedom, why fly back? Carnival hooked them up nicely IMO. I'd be pretty stoked if I were on that sailing and got a refund, OBC and another cruise comped. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I bet the Liberty was booked at higher capacity?  

We were on just this last Friday, and it was at ~ 2,100. I was told that our sailing tomorrow will have over 3,000.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flcraigs5 said:

Carnival told me I should see and email with the new information and I have yet to receive. We really don’t want to go on a 3 day cruise now plus spending an extra day in Miami. I’ll have to check what our cancel options are. 

• Like 1