Fire on Carnival Freedom

The ship is in Grand Turks and they had a fire in their tunnel this morning.  No injuries and passengers were allowed to go ashore.  The photos look bad. She will not be sailing back to Port Canaveral today. She was due back on Saturday.   Passenger will remain onboard until another ship comes to pick them up on Saturday afternoon.  The next cruise is cancelled.  By the looks of it I assume other cruises will be cancelled 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The ship is in Grand Turks and they had a fire in their tunnel this morning.  No injuries and passengers were allowed to go ashore.  The photos look bad. She will not be sailing back to Port Canaveral today. She was due back on Saturday.   Passenger will remain onboard until another ship comes to pick them up on Saturday afternoon.  The next cruise is cancelled.  By the looks of it I assume other cruises will be cancelled 

Carnival Conquest has cancelled this weekend's cruise in order to pick up the passengers.  Carnival Freedom will go to Grand Bahama for repairs.  They expect it to take a month or so.  

15 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Thanks for posting the photo as I didn't know how to do it.  There is a photo of what was left of the funnel after the fire.   Not good.

May be an image of outdoors

Exhaust pipe is intact as it's made of steel.  What is destroyed is the funnel which is fiberglass so it melted.

14 minutes ago, BND said:

May be an image of outdoors

Exhaust pipe is intact as it's made of steel.  What is destroyed is the funnel which is fiberglass so it melted.

Of course we don't know the extent of internal damage or what caused the fire. Only time will tell what needs repair and/or replacement.  Anyway the good news is that no passengers were injured. I hope no crew were affected. 

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I imagine the smell to be really bad.

Logistically moving passengers and luggage will probably be a long process since they don't have the equipment that is available at cruise terminals.

I thought the luggage cages were usually kept onboard? Then it seems that they might need some forklifts? But I agree with you, I don't think it will be a smooth process, plus they have to re-assign all of the passengers to new cabins. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I thought the luggage cages were usually kept onboard? Then it seems that they might need some forklifts? But I agree with you, I don't think it will be a smooth process, plus they have to re-assign all of the passengers to new cabins. :classic_smile:

New ship is scheduled to arrive Saturday at 4 and depart at 8 pm.  Seems tight to me.  They're scheduled to arrive back Monday,  2 days late.

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

They can assign them to the same cabin on the new ship as the Conquest is one of the sister ships to the freedom  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

99.5% certain the cages travel with the ship because I've seen them stored below decks.  They collapse to a fraction of their width when not being used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Good for them, they deserve it!!!!

not all made out that well. Those on conquest seem to have been cancelled with no notice and no compensation, unless its changed. Someone posted a thread they are already in orlando can they submit expenses to carnival and vacation there .. lol. They werent offered anything but a refund for their last minute cancellation. .. or so they said.

They always say arrive a day or two before your cruise ... ooops.  The ship is sailing without you to pick up freedom pax. Bye bye. 

I'm feeling burnt out from cruising forgive the pun. 

The passengers that had their cruise cancelled on the Conquest should check with their travel insurance.  If Carnival does not refund it is possible the insurance should cover some of the expense,  We were on the Grandeur of the Seas in 2013 when they had the fire and it is an experience I would not want to repeat.  

• Like 1

Does Carnival just have bad luck or are they just cursed??? I mean whenever something major happens to a cruise ship, always seems to be Carnival.

But, I see a video circulating online of a RC ship hitting the dock in Jamaica.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Green said:

Does Carnival just have bad luck or are they just cursed??? I mean whenever something major happens to a cruise ship, always seems to be Carnival.

But, I see a video circulating online of a RC ship hitting the dock in Jamaica.

Carnival had a problem with another ship yesterday out of VA with people feeling ill from paint fumes.

Wasn't a good day for cruise ships yesterday.

At least the bump that royal had with Jamaican dock appears to be cosmetic.

2 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Cosmetic for the ship - pretty bad for the pier at Jamaica.  

Ya, but good for the port workers - give them a nice 5yr repair contract (unless they aren’t as efficient as the Bahamians).

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

The passengers that had their cruise cancelled on the Conquest should check with their travel insurance.  If Carnival does not refund it is possible the insurance should cover some of the expense,  We were on the Grandeur of the Seas in 2013 when they had the fire and it is an experience I would not want to repeat.  

WE were on that sailing and it was NOT anything I ever want repeated. Some memories are just better filed in a far corner and not thought of. I feel for the crew, guests and the guests of the rerouted ship. We were compensated then. The guests that had cruises cancelled were also compensated. IF someone was doing a pre-cruise fly in with hotel, that is where travel insurance comes in. What the cruise line doesn't take care of, the insurance will. Again, so grateful no one was hurt. 

• Like 1