Vancouver hotel recommendation

PatricF

Hotels adjacent to Canada Place (the cruise port) are expensive - move a few blocks away and

the prices change - stay at or near the airport for better bargains BUT then the transportation

issue comes up getting to the cruise terminal.

Use the search function for:  Vancouver Downtown Hotels near Canada Place

Taxi/Cab fare is inexpensive - factor that with a modest hotel against a hotel

in walking distance from the cruise terminal - convenience over cost ?

Hotels High Cruise Season are expensive

I stayed at a hotel on Pender St a few walking blocks from Canada Place

Hotel has changed hands is now the Ramada prices were in the high $100s

It is not the Pan Pacific but it is functional and works.   

• Like 1

We have stayed at the Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, Marriott Pinnacle and the Hyatt Regency and enjoyed all of our stays.  Hotels in Vancouver are not cheap so it might take a little bit of research to find what works with your budget.

• Like 1

As others have said, the Pan Pacific is expensive but incredibly convenient. I have stayed there three times with a fourth visit coming this summer. I love that the bellman takes your luggage the morning of the cruise and gets it to the ship. You don’t touch your bags again until they arrive in your cabin. On one of my trips I developed painfully dry eyes on my flight. I called the hotel to ask the closest place to buy eye drops. Instead of sending me to the store, a staff member went, bought the drops, and brought them to me. I was really in pain that evening and will never forget that kindness.

• Like 2

The Fairmont Waterfront bell staff will also take one's luggage to the longshoremen.  Other hotels that are recommended on CC are the Blue Horizon, and the YWCA hotel.  I've booked (and cancelled so have yet to stay there) the Auberge Vancouver which is a couple of blocks away from Canada Place.  It was significantly less expensive for their top room than the room I would book at the Pan Pacific.

• Like 1

We've stayed pre-cruise at the Pan Pacific (several times including last month), the Auberge and Sutton Place.  We would stay at all again.  But it is sooooo nice to call the Bell desk at the Pan Pacific, have a bellman arrive at the room and then take the luggage to the cruise porters.  Pan Pacific also has a dedicated elevator which runs from the front desk floor directly down to the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We've stayed pre-cruise at the Pan Pacific (several times including last month), the Auberge and Sutton Place.  We would stay at all again.  But it is sooooo nice to call the Bell desk at the Pan Pacific, have a bellman arrive at the room and then take the luggage to the cruise porters.  Pan Pacific also has a dedicated elevator which runs from the front desk floor directly down to the cruise terminal.

It doesn't get any easier than that! The first time we had the porter collect out bags, he was very funny. He asked us to show him our passports and tickets because he wanted to make sure they weren't in our bags. The car service we used to use did the same thing. before he pulled out of our driveway, he would ask, "Do you have your tickets? Passport? Wallet? Glasses?"

• Like 2

We liked the Auberge.  It was close enough for us to wheel our luggage down the slight hill.  From the room we had, we could see our ship coming into Canda Place.  You enter this hotel through a lobby that houses an upscale pool/fitness place also.  

We stayed pre and post-cruise, May16 and May 25,26 at The Blue Horizon. It is located on Rob

son street not very far walk to Canada Place. We took a taxi to embark ship, and it was only about $7. The hotel is very nice, boutique hotel with balconies. If I get a chance to return to Vancouver, I will definitely stay there again. There is a good restaurant there, also! 

We stayed (2 weeks ago) at the Blue Horizon for 2 nights and loved it! On the 27th floor, with 3 huge windows and a balcony, we could see our ship come into English Bay. It was very reasonable compared to the hotels near to the cruiseport / Canada Place. Robson Street is very nice with shops and restaurants. We walked to the cruiseport on our first day but on embarkation day, with luggage, we took a Yellow Cab, which was very reasonable - he drove us right into the Holland America section and our luggage went from the car, to HAL (we had  pre printed labels) and we didn't see them again until we got to our cabin.  I would definitely recommend Blue Horizon - and eat at Earl's Kitchen - a couple of doors down the street and on the upper level.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:43 PM, auntjoy036 said:

As others have said, the Pan Pacific is expensive but incredibly convenient. I have stayed there three times with a fourth visit coming this summer. I love that the bellman takes your luggage the morning of the cruise and gets it to the ship. You don’t touch your bags again until they arrive in your cabin. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, Northern Aurora said:

We've stayed pre-cruise at the Pan Pacific (several times including last month), the Auberge and Sutton Place.  We would stay at all again.  But it is sooooo nice to call the Bell desk at the Pan Pacific, have a bellman arrive at the room and then take the luggage to the cruise porters. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:21 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It doesn't get any easier than that! The first time we had the porter collect out bags, he was very funny. He asked us to show him our passports and tickets because he wanted to make sure they weren't in our bags. 

For those of you that have stayed at the Pan Pacific, did you have to pay the higher rate for baggage transfer (and breakfast)?  Or, did you just arrange the baggage handling directly with the bellman or a concierge?  

Thank you

Mike 

Edited by MJL

11 hours ago, MJL said:

For those of you that have stayed at the Pan Pacific, did you have to pay the higher rate for baggage transfer (and breakfast)?  Or, did you just arrange the baggage handling directly with the bellman or a concierge?  

This time I booked a package that included a restaurant credit. The math just worked out better. I don’t think a package is necessary for bag transfer to the cruise ship.

We stayed at the Hampton near the airport and they offered a pay for shuttle to the cruise port $15 pp.  We got in late and they had a decent breakfast so it worked for us but there is no Exploring the city.  

On 6/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, MJL said:

Thank you

Mike 

I don't recall staying at the Pan Pacific with breakfast being included in the rate.  That rate always seemed too high in comparison to another rate that was offered.  On embarkation morning, my regular breakfast is always a continental breakfast because I know I will be eating lunch soon after I board.  

The luggage transfer was done on request with the Bell Captain or the Front Desk.  No extra fee for that.  If I was using a pre-cruise hotel package, this transfer was included in that package and the cruise line rep on site took care of the arrangements.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The luggage transfer was done on request with the Bell Captain or the Front Desk.  No extra fee for that.  If I was using a pre-cruise hotel package, this transfer was included in that package and the cruise line rep on site took care of the arrangements.  

Thank you.  We do not have an interest in a complete package either, just the luggage handling.  I will happily pay a bellman for the service without any other additional components of the package. 

• Like 1

I would be very careful letting any hotel transfer your bags to the ship. On our cruise last week on we talked to a couple who did that.  Their bags went on the wrong ship.  They had nothing for 5 days.  Had to buy stuff at the first port stop.  

18 hours ago, volk904 said:

I would be very careful letting any hotel transfer your bags to the ship. On our cruise last week on we talked to a couple who did that.  Their bags went on the wrong ship.  They had nothing for 5 days.  Had to buy stuff at the first port stop.  

Do you know the hotel where the couple stayed?  Such an experience would be very, very unusual.  

• Like 1