Live: Crown Princess Alaska / May 28-June 4, 2022

QuilterGirl

22 hours ago, rrshinn said:

Onboard this week our first Princess cruise. Underwhelmed so far from the shenanigans with the schedule to start the trip and whack a mole excursion changes and lack of choices to change. Dine my way was problematic when we showed up without reservations and couldn’t have a table for 2 until after 8 and the reservations were full first for the rest of the week. So much for my time dining it’s their time. Please make your reservations for dinner before coming. Horizon Court has been Meh. Crowded today with only one side open until Noon and long lines with little replenishment of deserts. Only 1735 passengers would hate to see what a full ship looks like. Haven’t seen or heard from Jody the cruise director (missing in action) assistant doing all the work. Good news the weather has been great and is expected to continue and all crew interactions have been to a high standard. Based on 30+ cruises and generally we’re pretty easy to please. 

I was on the May 21st sailing and Jody was quarantined due to being a close contact to someone with Covid after just a day or two of the cruise; she called me from deck 12 and told me that.

• Like 2

Last week, both sabatinis and crown grill were open every evening.

I made all dining reservations in the app, including those for the main dining room before my cruise.

Using the giant wall screens is the fastest way to reschedule/book both dining reservations and excursions if the desk line is long.

One of us tested positive (after two plus years) just before this cruise, so we all cancelled. Now two of us (out of four) are sick. Two had two boosters and younger two had one booster. Enjoy your cruise out there.

• Like 1

I am so sorry. That must’ve been such a disappointment! 

It makes me wonder- 

At what point do we start treating this like the flu ? Five years ago if I had the flu I wouldnt have cancelled a cruise.  I 'd have medicated myself and probably spent the first day or two in my room. And yet the flu is contagious and some die from it. But we aren’t all tested before a trip. 
Edited by sjde
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, QuilterGirl said:

It may be that extra shows will be added when there are more passengers (that is, three shows per Production Number) - so it is possible that show times will change by the time you sail.

Not likely.

They tried that when they changed shows from 55 minutes to 35 minutes, but changed it back to just 2 performances in less than a year.

Just a heads-up for those who are on the modified itinerary (5:30 PM arrival in Juneau). Despite having booked a reservation today (Monday) via the app in Botticelli's, when we got there, it was completely closed and Da Vinci's was the only MDR open. Luckily, there was zero wait for a private table (hardly anyone was there around 8:30 PM). 

I understand why it was closed, just wish there was some warning or just simply not allow folks to make the booking to begin with. So, those of you on future cruises with the modified intinerary, just remember that it could potentially happen to you too and perhaps plan ahead. 

Edited by [Big Z]
Added more info
  • Like 1

Hello- we are disappointed with the luck of booking Crown for our upcoming Alaskan Cruise but we are going to try to make the best of it. I hope you are enjoying your cruise. Could you please tell me what nights are the formal nights on the journey? I see that it is usually day 2 and another day. Do you recommend the MDR on formal nights, or specialty dining? Thank you!

8 minutes ago, sjde said:

So you can dress more casual for the specialty restaurants than the formal dining nights in the MDR?

You may dress the same in both. Formal nights are not enforced. Now ,maybe shorts,tank tops,etc. might be turned away on formal night??

@Artemis at Sea, on this sailing, Formal Nights are on Sunday (the day after departure) and Thursday (the sea day after Glacier Bay day).  I thought it was interesting that on both the current cruise and the previous one, on Sunday the Captain included in an announcement something to the effect that "whether or not you choose to dress up, we look forward to seeing you around the ship tonight."   One could take that to mean either you didn't HAVE to dress up formally to eat dinner in a dining room, or that those in more casual clothing were welcome to roam the ship in the evening (attend the show, frequent the bars, etc.) but not eat in a dining room.  Don't know which he meant, but the exact same phrasing was used on both this and the previous cruise.  ???

Truly formal wear has definitely not been seen to any extent on this cruise.  DH saw one tux this past Sunday.  Last cruise there was one dude in formal kilt-wear.  Lots of black put together to make a formal-ish-looking outfit out of casual clothing.  My take would be, if you have gone to some trouble to attire yourself in the nicest clean clothing you brought along, you would be welcome in the dining rooms on Formal Nights.

Edited by QuilterGirl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Crow9 said:

Last week, both sabatinis and crown grill were open every evening.

I made all dining reservations in the app, including those for the main dining room before my cruise.

Using the giant wall screens is the fastest way to reschedule/book both dining reservations and excursions if the desk line is long.

Hi, I thanked you yesterday on this thread but I don't see it posted, so I am thanking you again. I am glad to hear they are open and will make reservations on the big board!

• Like 1

@sjde, if you are talking about what folks wear around the ship during the day on Alaska cruises, you see it all.  I've seen midriff-baring tops, "wife-beater" shirts, shorts, flip-flops.  And also folks bundled up in everything they can find, including knee-high fur-topped boots and multiple red plaid fleece blankets (and not just on Glacier Bay day).  Today is a lovely day in Skagway with temps in the mid-70s, so shorts and Tshirts are not out-of-place.  I think you can hardly go wrong with what you choose to wear during the day on board, as long as it's decent and suits the purposes of your planned activities.

If you are talking about what to wear on Formal Night on Alaska cruises - it's a fine temperature inside the ship.  It's no cooler or warmer indoors than in the Caribbean.  Sure, it's likely cooler outside, but most folks don't go outside in the evening.

(In Alaska, daylight lasts a long time.  Personally, I feel that "formal wear" is better suited to darker times of the year,  longer crossings with fewer ports, and being with people you wish to impress - think Cunard trans-Atlantics in winter with "traditional seating."  It seems odd to me to dress formally when it's very light out still, when you dine at 5:30 at a table for two, and it's a comfortable temperature inside... especially when you've been wearing fleece and jeans all day.  I know Princess would prefer a more formal atmosphere, but I think that's self-serving and antiquated.  And it's not what I have seen in dining rooms on "Formal Nights" in my seven+ weeks on board Princess ships since the pause.)

Edited by QuilterGirl

@QuilterGirl you are not kidding. I legit saw a man on our Alaska cruise a couple of weeks ago wearing a tank top, sweatshirt jacket tied around his waist, swim shorts and giant full fur boots. He was a sight to behold! It was like gym wear, meets swim wear, meets apres ski wear!

Edited by karatemom2
  • Haha 9

@QuilterGirl Can you post a picture of the details of the Cruise  (issued on the last day). 

I am interested in hearing how fast the ship is travelling now.   

We have the last cruise before dry dock booked (Sept 22-Oct 2) but it has a lot of distance to travel (Vancouver to SFO, LA, San Diego and return).. We are hoping that even with reduced speed that the ship can make all the ports.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 1:16 PM, seattlecruzr said:

Was on the May 14th  Crown cruise. We did our reservations for dinner (Davinci) before boarding but wanted to change the time one night. 

The app or course did not work. Went earlier in day to switch it with dining room crew and they could not switch it either. 

However they said (and it worked!) to use the in the hallway interactive screens. Easy peasy worked great for changing or making reservations. 

Just an FYI even tho we had the shots and wore masks in crowds, both my husband and I tested positive for Covid two days after the cruise. No air travel involved as we live near Seattle. And a friend drove us there and back. 

Could have gotten it in port, but doubt it. 

It was light cases and got over it quickly, but lost a week of work. 

I would suggest wearing the masks everywhere……

You can also use your tv to make and change reservations, and to check out menus.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, wolvey said:

What sucks is that we just got notice of the Juneau excursion being canceled when we got to our room. It was all good up until now.  Sigh.

I was in Juneau and Ketchikan last week. Both have kiosks for booking various excursions, much cheaper than cruise excursions and usually in small vans instead of buses. I was on my way to Mendenhall while the ship tour bus was still waiting for stragglers. I recommend checking out port schedules on cruise dig, which shows the ships and arrival times in each port

• Like 2

This has probably been answered 5 times already. I have read about people getting a notice their excursion was canceled once they were already on board for Juneau

Looking at the existing ones, I think there aren't any currently scheduled after 5:30, there are a couple at 5:15PM. I am currently signed up for a 5:15 one. 

Are they adjusting the times on excursions or just canceling them? Now that they now we are arriving at 5:30, I would hope that the excursion bookings would be updated. I really don't want to stand in line at customer service on the boat after I get a notice my excursion is cancelled when at the moment I am 2 weeks out an could address it now

13 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

This has probably been answered 5 times already. I have read about people getting a notice their excursion was canceled once they were already on board for Juneau

Looking at the existing ones, I think there aren't any currently scheduled after 5:30, there are a couple at 5:15PM. I am currently signed up for a 5:15 one. 

Are they adjusting the times on excursions or just canceling them? Now that they now we are arriving at 5:30, I would hope that the excursion bookings would be updated. I really don't want to stand in line at customer service on the boat after I get a notice my excursion is cancelled when at the moment I am 2 weeks out an could address it now

We have a private tour schedule in Juneau and hoping we arrive in time to take the excursion.  However, the email we received from Princess stated that updated excursion information would be available within the next two weeks.  The email was received at 2350 on 05/26 and two weeks would be about 06/09.  Our cruise date is 06/11 and doesn't leave much time for booking, if even available.  I have not looked at the Cruise Planner this week to see if updated excursions are available.