Azamara excursions credit

The Salties

4 hours ago, les37b said:

The £ has devalued since my lock in. (Oil price related I think). So my $ would have bought more £ now. I'm unconvinced I'm better or worse off. l still think it's a dumb idea though and US$ price has been static, just like my OBC amount.

Basically unless US$ is your currency, everyone not using it is paying a different amount for the same trips. No logic at all. My $1000 is worth more on board (or less) than "yours". Currency fluctuations shouldn't even come into it,  period.

I can only assume the lock in at the time, also locks in your account for purchases once OBC is used up and that unfavourable rate (instead on my no currency charge CC giving me the best rate possible.)

As others have said the basic problem is that Azamara are still using the RCG system and operates in the same way as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I’ve always thought it was a crazy way to operate given we all understand the onboard currency is US$. Because the exchange rate conversion is rarely in the customers favour the sceptic in me thinks that across the brands the number of transactions made in favour of the cruise line are a good earner for them. Being benevolent maybe they think we would prefer to see the cost of trips in our own currency but there’s not a strong case for this in my mind.

Moving forward during the first quarter of 2023 we should be seeing Azamara unplugging from RCG systems and implementing their own, the system onboard Onward is the first use of the Azamara software. There were the expected glitches on the maiden, mainly in importing information from the RCG system, but as they’ve gone the route of using a tried and tested proprietary system customised to their requirements it looked promising. So I’m hoping that Azamara will listen and we will be seeing an end to this practice.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I found out a long time ago that "My Azamara" shows my OBC in AU$.

I also found out a long time ago that the exchange rate is locked in at the time of the first pre-boarding Shore Excursion booking, so I keep a close eye on exchange rates to (hopefully) get the best deal possible

I locked mine in almost straight away, with the election and uncertainty of a hung parliament the $A was at a 2 year low around 70 cents and we got $1422, has been rising ever since, now 73 and predicted to be in the high 70,s and back to similar levels with the Canadian dollar by years end, but anything could happen, experts very rarely get it right!!!.

Was strange though as when we first booked it was US$500 OBC and that’s how it showed in the account? It wasn’t until I called and got moved to the new offer it then got converted to $A and the agent said the exchange rate would lock on the first booking so I did that almost right away, also said it was excursion ONLY, be interesting to see from comments here if that holds true? Spent most of it already as exscursion cost may well rise (everything else is!!), but enough left for a speciality dinning booking!!!

Edited by Hammer61

On 6/3/2022 at 2:59 AM, travelberlin said:

My travel agent found from Azamara that the excursions onboard credit is to be used in excursions only.

Ivi

Multiple people have been told it’s obc not just for excursions and some have been told it’s just excursions so I think there some guess work here with azamara staff. When I converted my $500 obc to $1000 on the new offer I asked about it specifically  because I can’t use any of it on excursions simply because there are no wheelchair excursions on any of my three cruises. The person I spoke with then asked a supervisor and I was told that it’s obc and that they are calling it shore excursion credit to try and encourage people to book them before they cruise and use it but in reality it’s obc, on my invoices it says obc and is the same as the $300 I’ve got each cruise for b2bs. Hopefully Les who is cruising soon will be able to tell us for sure what the onboard situation is. 🙂

Multiple people have stated that it's excursion-only, and an equal number say all OBC is for anything.  Likewise multiple people have stated that Azamara rejects the eMed proctored tests, and an equal number say they were let on the ship with that test.  So I don't think we can believe either answer on either issue...

In this case [unlike the pre-cruise Covid test issue], there seems to be less danger of a fatal mistake.  My advice would be this:  protect yourself by booking lots of Azamara excursions now to make sure you have secured your spots [in case it really is limited to shore-excursions] – and, if you think you can use up the OBC without shore excursions, make sure your third-party providers allow penalty-free cancellations once you are onboard and learn the real truth.  Then you will be protected either way and can sleep soundly until you are onboard!

3 hours ago, DebbieMacG said:

Multiple people have been told it’s obc not just for excursions and some have been told it’s just excursions so I think there some guess work here with azamara staff. When I converted my $500 obc to $1000 on the new offer I asked about it specifically  because I can’t use any of it on excursions simply because there are no wheelchair excursions on any of my three cruises. The person I spoke with then asked a supervisor and I was told that it’s obc and that they are calling it shore excursion credit to try and encourage people to book them before they cruise and use it but in reality it’s obc, on my invoices it says obc and is the same as the $300 I’ve got each cruise for b2bs. Hopefully Les who is cruising soon will be able to tell us for sure what the onboard situation is. 🙂

Unfortunately there are inconsistencies on the information that Azamara provides pre cruise in several issues. Get the answer they have given you per written. 
My travel agent has answered to my question per written indicating that she has talked to Azamara and they have told her that it is for shore excursions only. Due to this answer, I have not changed my booking to add the US 1000 OBC. I remain with my precious booking, where the OBC as usual, does not have any restrictions and can be used for any products or services onboard. 

Having a written answer, either direct from Azamara oder on Azamara’s behalf from the travel agent is all we can do.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

Looking at the confirmation for my next cruise, it shows Flash OBC and More2Sea under the promotion applied section on the second page - which is the $1000 offer. Not sure what the More2Sea promotion is. Pro rata rate shown at USD625.00 as I’m solo. This showed as credit in GBP in the voyage planner with a further USD150.00

(I believe that is the figure, happy to be corrected) added for the refer and receive, total of GBP793.80 showing.  Can’t quite figure out the amount, certainly not unhappy. 
There is no distinguishing between credits, just one figure. Nothing on the confirmation stating OBC is only available for excursion.  
For a transatlantic with one port spending more than around $200 on an excursion is impossible.  If there was no revert to pure OBC there would be lots of very unhappy people.

Edited by RW75
Clarification
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 11:07 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Multiple people have stated that it's excursion-only, and an equal number say all OBC is for anything.  Likewise multiple people have stated that Azamara rejects the eMed proctored tests, and an equal number say they were let on the ship with that test.  So I don't think we can believe either answer on either issue...

In this case [unlike the pre-cruise Covid test issue], there seems to be less danger of a fatal mistake.  My advice would be this:  protect yourself by booking lots of Azamara excursions now to make sure you have secured your spots [in case it really is limited to shore-excursions] – and, if you think you can use up the OBC without shore excursions, make sure your third-party providers allow penalty-free cancellations once you are onboard and learn the real truth.  Then you will be protected either way and can sleep soundly until you are onboard!

previously I’ve use OBC in the spa and to buy a camera?  Why the camera?  Because I had way too many OBC on a transatlantic cruise😇

On 5/30/2022 at 11:03 PM, les37b said:

When I booked I was specifically told we could spend how we saw fit. At the time, we were going to pay to upgrade drinks but was told it's no problem to do it onboard but couldn't use the credit until we were on the ship.

Strange also, as excursions booked have been converted to £ despite the credit being in $ and costs shown also in $. No doubt in a real poor exchange rate.

I can't currently access anything on azamara which shows the credit. Indeed my receipt just calls in on board credit.

I will be more than marked if goal posts have been moved.

There are two different types of onboard credit.  The promotion "$1000 OBC" is to spend on anything you like.  All purchases on board are in USD and shop, spa or shore excursion purchases are taken off the balance.  At the end of the cruise you may or may not be able to cash out any remaining balance in USD or in your local currency.  Note MAY.  There will be an "R" next to the credit if it is refundable, "NR" if not refundable.  The OBC that TA's give you is definitely refundable.  If "NR", buy a watch! 🤣  Well, something with the balance rather than lose it.  Spirits or skin care, etc.

The other type of promotional credit is specifically called "shore excursion credit" and can only be used for shore excursions.  I have not known any balance being able to be used for on board purchases, but policies are always changing.

It will be interesting to hear how the OBC worked out for you

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

There are two different types of onboard credit.  The promotion "$1000 OBC" is to spend on anything you like.  All purchases on board are in USD and shop, spa or shore excursion purchases are taken off the balance.  At the end of the cruise you may or may not be able to cash out any remaining balance in USD or in your local currency.  Note MAY.  There will be an "R" next to the credit if it is refundable, "NR" if not refundable.  The OBC that TA's give you is definitely refundable.  If "NR", buy a watch! 🤣  Well, something with the balance rather than lose it.  Spirits or skin care, etc.

The other type of promotional credit is specifically called "shore excursion credit" and can only be used for shore excursions.  I have not known any balance being able to be used for on board purchases, but policies are always changing.

It will be interesting to hear how the OBC worked out for you

We spent some on excursions pre cruise. Some on ultimate drinks package and the bulk in the shop where I spent $350 on a watch and wife spent $500 on jewellery. 

I was concerned I wanted to make sure I had none left. It should have been concern we didn't spend more than we had...... The wife won!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, travelberlin said:

My travel agent found from Azamara that the excursions onboard credit is to be used in excursions only.

Ivi

There was a specific promotion of 500 USD excursion credit.  I imagine it will only be able to be used for excursions as opposed to On Board Credit which can be used anywhere.  It was a month after I booked.  The promotion when I booked was $1000 OBC so I expect that I'll be able to use that as I see fit with excursions and on board spends.

Edited by Janet&Carl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

There was a specific promotion of 500 USD excursion credit.  I imagine it will only be able to be used for excursions as opposed to On Board Credit which can be used anywhere.  It was a month after I booked.  The promotion when I booked was $1000 OBC so I expect that I'll be able to use that as I see fit with excursions and on board spends.

You are correct.  And much better off!

I have read through this thread and I am interested in finding out the answer too.  I am about ready to book the Feb 2023 transatlantic, and the final confirmation page says "FLASH OBC - $1000 Shore Excursion Credit".  But when I got back to the main homepage and read all the terms and conditions, it just says onboard credit.  I am very confused.  

I will try to reach out to my travel agent tomorrow to see if we can get an answer.  There is no way we can spend $1000 for one port stop (Bermuda) on a transatlantic.  

18 minutes ago, Pirokp2 said:

I have read through this thread and I am interested in finding out the answer too.  I am about ready to book the Feb 2023 transatlantic, and the final confirmation page says "FLASH OBC - $1000 Shore Excursion Credit".  But when I got back to the main homepage and read all the terms and conditions, it just says onboard credit.  I am very confused.  

I will try to reach out to my travel agent tomorrow to see if we can get an answer.  There is no way we can spend $1000 for one port stop (Bermuda) on a transatlantic.  

That is certainly odd. If the T&Cs say OBC, hopefully that is what it actually is.

I just got off the phone with Azamara, the representative was very short with me and said it was just onboard credit that could be used for anything.  I said "so it must be an error on the payment summary page?", he didn't respond.  But I had him repeat it several times and he said it can be used for anything on the ship.  I'll have my travel agent call tomorrow and see if he gets the same answer.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pirokp2 said:

I just got off the phone with Azamara, the representative was very short with me and said it was just onboard credit that could be used for anything.  I said "so it must be an error on the payment summary page?", he didn't respond.  But I had him repeat it several times and he said it can be used for anything on the ship.  I'll have my travel agent call tomorrow and see if he gets the same answer.  

May be a good idea to get him to email you that this is the case.

• Like 2