Island Princess

tkwbear

19 minutes ago, uspearls said:

We were in PR723 (furthest aft balcony) a few weeks ago and for the first time asked to move after one night due to the vibration.  It was awful, we both hardly slept (and my wife can sleep through almost anything!).  For reference, we had departed Copenhagen and were sailing to  Frederica, Denmark overnight - a relatively short distance through smooth coastal waters at far less than full speed.  So, I figured if it was that bad under those conditions, I didn't like the thought of staying there through a few sea days at higher speed through the North Sea!

I also looked on cc for everything I could find on vibration in that section before I purposefully selected that cabin in the "remodel" section on Deck 7!  I was disappointed to leave honestly as the location was everything I imagined - so convenient.  And the large, covered balcony with the remains of the public promenade deck was great, as was the more modern cabin build (less wood, flat screen across from the bed as on Royal Class and my wife's beloved adjustable shower!).

Thanks.  I have considered the advantages you mention, plus easy access to outdoor promenade deck, but have been nervous about vibration.  Perhaps it is okay if stay in the most fwd cabins in that section.

Our first cruise in 2012 was in D719 on the Island Princess. We left Vancouver at full speed due to passenger delays and our bed felt like what we imagined to be  a cheap hotel's vibrating bed. We quickly adjusted and slept blissfully for the rest of the cruise. After that it has felt odd to be in a cabin without the vibration. In October we will be on the IP again, for what will probably our last cruise, in C726 a handicapped accessible  suite. I'm looking forward to being "vibrated" asleep. 

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks.  I have considered the advantages you mention, plus easy access to outdoor promenade deck, but have been nervous about vibration.  Perhaps it is okay if stay in the most fwd cabins in that section.

That's an idea.  The forward 4 cabins on each side though are all ADA, and there's only 4 regular balconies behind those (plus a storage closet each side, so 5 balcony sized rooms approximately).  So, unless you qualify for the ADA cabin, not sure it will make much difference.  But if it looks like there's a bunch of balconies open on your cruise, there's not a lot of risk if you don't mind moving if it doesn't work out.

6 hours ago, uspearls said:

That's an idea.  The forward 4 cabins on each side though are all ADA, and there's only 4 regular balconies behind those (plus a storage closet each side, so 5 balcony sized rooms approximately).  So, unless you qualify for the ADA cabin, not sure it will make much difference.  But if it looks like there's a bunch of balconies open on your cruise, there's not a lot of risk if you don't mind moving if it doesn't work out.

Right.  Yes, they did put a lot of ADA rooms there, with 4 gone.  So, IDK how much difference between PR711 and PR723 in terms of noise and vibration, for example.   Post #44 was a happy camper in PR703, so they of course had an ADA and only second cabin in so more distanced from the rear.  Still nervous about PR711 & PR712.

ETA:  Did a search and asked a member about their experience and which cabin they were in back in 2021.   

And this post goes into good details about the cabins and what's in the hallways and blank spaces.  They mention wind whistling, but no vibration.

Edited by Steelers36

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2022 at 12:07 PM, Alaskanb said:

Our first cruise in 2012 was in D719 on the Island Princess. We left Vancouver at full speed due to passenger delays and our bed felt like what we imagined to be  a cheap hotel's vibrating bed. We quickly adjusted and slept blissfully for the rest of the cruise. After that it has felt odd to be in a cabin without the vibration. In October we will be on the IP again, for what will probably our last cruise, in C726 a handicapped accessible  suite. I'm looking forward to being "vibrated" asleep. 

How was it?  Our friends were in C726 on the 9/11 cruise to Iceland and there were several problems with the cabin.  First being that my friend could not get her wheelchair over the bathroom threshold(which they fixed by making a piece to get over).  They just said it was a nice suite but they had so many problems.  I wonder if it was better for you? 

4 hours ago, Level six said:

How was it?  Our friends were in C726 on the 9/11 cruise to Iceland and there were several problems with the cabin.  First being that my friend could not get her wheelchair over the bathroom threshold(which they fixed by making a piece to get over).  They just said it was a nice suite but they had so many problems.  I wonder if it was better for you? 

We board on October 21. We don't have a wheelchair so some of the issues I've read about do not apply. We need the accessible bathroom and have rented a mobility scooter for DH. I'm expecting vibration. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:06 PM, DRS/NC said:

I was on the May 26 - June 13 TA this year, in cabin PR703.  That is a handicapped accessible cabin on Promenade, aft of the piazza, shops, etc on Deck 7 (quite convenient).  Except for the aft suite I accidentally got on the Emerald in 2016, it's the best cabin I've ever had:  large, w/a balcony to match & an excellent HA bathroom.

The balcony was the width of the old PR deck, including the wood flooring. The length was half again that of any balcony I've had ('cept the suite).

Fewer eating venues?  Well, there was no Alfedo's or IC (I did miss both) but there was a Sabatini's, Bayou Steakhouse (I had a bigger, high quality filet like Crown Grill), 2 MDRs (both very good) & the buffet (fair to good; good desserts). 

Yes, the wifi was lousy -- as it tends to be in the far northern areas on the globe -- but as long as I could get a message out to my DD each day, I didn't care.  [DD worries about her Solo elderly mom.]

Everyone got a full refund of our wifi purchase.

The Island was my 10th (of 15 current) Princess ships.  I've also been on 3 or 4 PCL ships no longer w/us.  [35+ PCL cruises.]  Except for the constant threat/discussion of Covid (I tested positive 3 days after getting home), it was a very pleasant cruise.  I spent most of the 18 days on my large, covered balcony w/ my Kindle & coffee cup.  I had delightful socialization at dinner w/all the Solo/Singles I met.

If the itinerary is something you really want, don't avoid the slightly older Island Princess.

We were on the Island in August and they turn Sabatini’s into Alfredo’s on some sea days.  It is listed in the patter under the dining options section.  They did not have a full menu, but most pizzas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pppatpc2 said:

We were on the Island in August and they turn Sabatini’s into Alfredo’s on some sea days.  It is listed in the patter under the dining options section.  They did not have a full menu, but most pizzas.

Wow, we were on for 30 days and never saw or heard of that.  They were playing cards in there. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Level six said:

Wow, we were on for 30 days and never saw or heard of that.  They were playing cards in there. 

They don’t really publicize it.  Ask the head waiter at Sabatini’s and they can tell you what day it might be.

• Like 1

We've been away from Princess for some time, but recently booked a cruise for next year on the Island. Kind of insignificant, but what is the hair dryer situation on the Island? I'm used to the other lines we use have hand held plug in dryers, not wall mounted. Just curious as I understand the Island does not have USB plugs. THX!

We are booked on the Sky in June 2023, but there is a similar itinerary on the Island at about the same time.  I have never sailed the Island because of all the things mentioned here, but I really don't like the huge ships, and I'm reconsidering the options now.  I really love the Coral (which I've sailed multiple times) and never minded the limited dining venues.  Does the Island still have Explorer's Lounge?

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Can anyone who has been on the Island recently tell me:

a) Which dining room is used for Club Class?

b) What the production shows were?

c) Are soap bars available for the bathroom if you ask the cabin steward?

Thanks

Bordeaux is used for Club Class - deck 5.

Do You Wanna Dance and Encore have been performed. There's another on the way but I don't remember which one it is.

Don't know about the bar soap.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, Level six said:

On 10/14/2022 at 9:30 PM, Alaskanb said:

We board on October 21. We don't have a wheelchair so some of the issues I've read about do not apply. We need the accessible bathroom and have rented a mobility scooter for DH. I'm expecting vibration. 

We are in C726 right now. Maybe we should hide something for you!

Yes, the wind whistles through the sliding door gaps, especially the forward door. Maintenance came and went without doing anything saying they'd be back on a port day to replace the fuzzy seals. Haven't seen that yet.

Other than the light switch placement being very odd, it's a nice suite.

The layout is quite different from non-HC suites but it's definitely spacious.

Yes, there's vibration when running at higher speeds but nothing worse than we experienced in aft cabins on the Emerald Princess or the Ocean Princess, two different classes of ships.

IAKZ0119[1].JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Do You Wanna Dance and Encore have been performed. There's another on the way but I don't remember which one it is.

One more question: What times are the shows in the Princess theater in the evening?

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

We are in C726 right now. Maybe we should hide something for you!

Yes, the wind whistles through the sliding door gaps, especially the forward door. Maintenance came and went without doing anything saying they'd be back on a port day to replace the fuzzy seals. Haven't seen that yet.

Other than the light switch placement being very odd, it's a nice suite.

The layout is quite different from non-HC suites but it's definitely spacious.

Yes, there's vibration when running at higher speeds but nothing worse than we experienced in aft cabins on the Emerald Princess or the Ocean Princess, two different classes of ships.

IAKZ0119[1].JPG

Thank you so much for posting this --very excited. 

6 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

The new show is On the Bayou, New Orleans themed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

We've been away from Princess for some time, but recently booked a cruise for next year on the Island. Kind of insignificant, but what is the hair dryer situation on the Island? I'm used to the other lines we use have hand held plug in dryers, not wall mounted. Just curious as I understand the Island does not have USB plugs. THX!

I was on Island Princess in May and June.  The hair dryers in the balcony and  oceanviews (moved because of Covid quarantining) were wall mounted at the desk area.  Test your hair dryer before you wash your hair because the oceanview we were in had a non-working hair dryer and that is not the time to find that out!  We called Guest Services and they sent down a hand held dryer but it took several hours, so that was a bummer.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Can anyone who has been on the Island recently tell me:

a) Which dining room is used for Club Class?

b) What the production shows were?

c) Are soap bars available for the bathroom if you ask the cabin steward?

Thanks

We like bar soap too and the steward gave us several when we requested it.  This was in May and June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was on Island Princess in May and June.  The hair dryers in the balcony and  oceanviews (moved because of Covid quarantining) were wall mounted at the desk area.  Test your hair dryer before you wash your hair because the oceanview we were in had a non-working hair dryer and that is not the time to find that out!  We called Guest Services and they sent down a hand held dryer but it took several hours, so that was a bummer.

Thanks for that info. Sounds like a good reason to bring a small (working) one from home.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, Loveh2ofl said:

To anyone currently or very recently on the Island PRincess - have the in-room safes been repaired or swapped out?  Many had issues when I was aboard on the 5/11 panama canal cruise

On the Island 2 weeks ago...our safe was just a bit finicky but it worked.  Those pressure sensitive keypads on *all* electronic devices seem to start acting up after a fairly short time period.

As someone previously said...just start playing with the keypad and see which numbers work.  Then just use a code using only those numbers.

• Like 1