Island Princess

tkwbear

15 hours ago, tkwbear said:

"Covid everywhere"? How many passengers had it?

We were 2 of approximately 300 people unceremoniously disembarked in Southampton after the TA and before Norway. See the May 26 roll calls for more details.

Although Princess gave me a Certificate of Recovery, saying I was no longer infectious, I was still disembarked, after being in quarantine for 5 days with no fever and no symptoms. IMHO, there were so many that tested positive, I understand Princess deciding to cleanse the ship. However the hotel they assigned us to was not acceptable.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, BabySarge said:

Island Princess is one of the ships that has only recently (within the last two months or so) come back into service after being in floating storage since May 2020 +/- and I am sure there are some kinks with the ship and crew that need to be worked out before everyone finds their groove again.  Is she a ship with all the new bells and whistles - no; do I miss the International Cafe and Vines which she does not have - absolutely; but she's still a nice, little ship that can go to some fantastic ports and itineraries that other, larger ships cannot.  Travel, cruising, touring, life, etc are what you make them and after the last 2.5 years I'm going to make the most of every opportunity I can get to travel, cruise, tour, etc. and food is soooooo subjective I won't even comment on it. 

DH and I have done a total of 88 days onboard the Island Princess since 2015 with the most recent being 58 days around South America in 2020 just before the shutdown.  Is she my "favorite" ship to sail?  No, unless you ask me that question when I am sailing on her then of course she is 🙂  Does she have her flaws - absolutely, but are they things I can ignore because I am on a cruise and getting to go to fantastic places, meet wonderful and interesting people, eat food I don't have to cook or clean up from?  You bet they are.  No two people are always going to like the same things.  Maybe our standard are lower than others but I can honestly say that we have never had a bad or subpar meal on Princess.  Now, is the beef stroganoff as good as I make or the clams with linguini as good as my sister in law Joan makes it - hell no, but I certainly have never gone hungry or not been able to find something to eat on any cruise I have ever been on.

I like your attitude.   I'm happy to say our worst cruise was still a lot of fun.  We will be on Island Princess later this year.  I expect we will have a great cruise. 

But, (there is always a but ,Lol),  "not going hungry" is not a very high bar to set for dining. 😀  

• Like 2

But, (there is always a but ,Lol),  "not going hungry" is not a very high bar to set for dining. 😀 

Yeah, but after 26 years of military chow and MRE's (there's a reason they include a tiny bottle of Tabasco in every single one of them) I have to admit I don't have a very high setting to my dining bar 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:57 AM, Torfamm said:

One advantage of the small size of the  Island Princess is itineraries like the historic locks of the Panama Canal. I wouldn’t pick it for the ship experience, I hate the fitness center having no windows for example, but I wouldn’t give up a great itinerary to avoid the Island Princess. One consideration might be that European cruises are usually pretty port intensive with more time spent off the ship as opposed to something like a transatlantic.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:47 PM, Alaskanb said:

Our first cruise was on the Island Princess , Vancouver to Anchorage. We had a fabulous time! Since then we have been on the Coral, Majestic, and several Royal Class ships,  in October we will be on the Island again. Each ship has its own character dependent on the ship's age, its senior officers and the head chef. We take each as it comes and mostly sail for an itinerary. We expect our backs to act up, there will be cases of Covid onboard, variable entertainment, and no International Cafe but will choose what makes us happy and have a great time exploring the Med. 

I have often said I would rather another ship be on a certain itinerary, but would not forego the itinerary experience if it involves the Island.  We had a perfectly good time on the Island in Winter 2018 for 60 nights around S.A.  I know some folks from that voyage have been trying to go on a WC on the same ship since then and finally go Winter 2023.

• Like 3

I know you're asking about recent experience but I would book on the Island again---in a full suite.  We did a 10 day partial transit Panama Canal in December 2019---so awesome!!   The aft facing suites are great.   I missed the International Cafe onboard but being able to dine daily at Sabatini's(in the am) and have prompt service in Club Class made up for that.   

20191210_061149.jpg

20191210_061408.jpg

20191208_112650.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Our favorite room is the last side facing rooms on the Caribe deck. Love those mini's

Yehootu, glad you enjoyed this cabin. We are booked in C731 and have been rethinking our decision as so many folks have complained about the vibration. We have stayed in an aft-facing room before and think these side facing should have similar vibrations. Interested in your opinions regarding vibrations. 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, BabySarge said:

But, (there is always a but ,Lol),  "not going hungry" is not a very high bar to set for dining. 😀 

Yeah, but after 26 years of military chow and MRE's (there's a reason they include a tiny bottle of Tabasco in every single one of them) I have to admit I don't have a very high setting to my dining bar 😉

@BabySargehubby loved the MRE fruitcake and still talks about it today.  He'd trade the whole MRE for it.  everyone thought he was nuts in the desert 😁

Edited by shamrockace
spelling error
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Loveh2ofl said:

To anyone currently or very recently on the Island PRincess - have the in-room safes been repaired or swapped out?  Many had issues when I was aboard on the 5/11 panama canal cruise

We were on the May 26 to June 29 sailing and our safe would not work at first.  Then DH started trying every number to see if it appeared on the display.  Only 5 and 6 appeared there so he tried locking it with a code containing only those two numbers.  It locked.  Thereafter we were able to lock our valuables in that safe.  But how is anyone else supposed to figure that out unless they are as thorough as my DH?  I asked the women at the Knitters and Natters get togethers and most of them said either their safe did not work or it was missing from their closet cupboard.  One or two said they had working safes.

On June 29 friends of ours boarded the Island as we got off.  She told me the safe in their cabin works so it's a flip of the coin whether or not you will have a working safe.  If they've been replacing the safes I haven't heard about it.  

5 hours ago, peachykiehn said:

Yehootu, glad you enjoyed this cabin. We are booked in C731 and have been rethinking our decision as so many folks have complained about the vibration. We have stayed in an aft-facing room before and think these side facing should have similar vibrations. Interested in your opinions regarding vibrations. 

We did enjoy it. There were a lot of pieces of paper from the previous cruise that were jammed in places to dampen room noise. We had it booked for 25 days prior to Covid shutdown. We were 3 days away when all shut down.

Island Princess C731 Balcony.JPG

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We were on the May 26 to June 29 sailing and our safe would not work at first.  Then DH started trying every number to see if it appeared on the display.  Only 5 and 6 appeared there so he tried locking it with a code containing only those two numbers.  It locked.  Thereafter we were able to lock our valuables in that safe.  But how is anyone else supposed to figure that out unless they are as thorough as my DH?  I asked the women at the Knitters and Natters get togethers and most of them said either their safe did not work or it was missing from their closet cupboard.  One or two said they had working safes.

On June 29 friends of ours boarded the Island as we got off.  She told me the safe in their cabin works so it's a flip of the coin whether or not you will have a working safe.  If they've been replacing the safes I haven't heard about it.  

We had to come up with a combination with the few numbers that worked as well.

• Like 1

The Island was our very worse cruising experience, however it was one of the only two Panamax class ships in Princess' fleet.  The sewage that was leaking on multiple floors was bad, but even worse were the lies and misinformation from the staff that misled us from the Promenade deck while in the Old Locks, and the rude treatment from the steward and the restaurant staff.  Thank goodness we ran into the Chief Engineer who was able to provide us with the correct information about the use of the Promenade deck during the time in the locks.  Similarly, we are thankful for a Guest Services manager (or supervisor) who elected to be truthful with us about our rights and how she was constrained in how much FCC she could offer on-board (it didn't take too much hinting to figure out that she was telling us to escalate the issue to the corporate level.)  That being said, the hotel manager was friendly but it was clear that he also valued his position and was protective of it.  We almost stopped cruising with Princess back then, until an experience later that year in a Baltic cruise when one of the ship's officers popped up in numerous locales on the ship and remembered that I had celebrated my birthday on the ship during that cruise.  He just initially introduced himself with "Hi, I'm Tim.  Happy Birthday!"  I didn't even know his last name.  But later I saw that under his name on his name tag was the title of "Captain" (!).  I now believe him to be Tim Stringer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

We like the itinerary of an Iceland trip scheduled for summer 2023 but its on the Island Princess and its 28 days in length.  Its concerning to find out they are using this ship for a long itinerary when there are fewer dining choices and is more crowded due to reconfiguration years ago.     Does anyone know if its reschedule for refurbishment anytime soon?  I too don't mind if a ship is older but don't like if they've removed good amentities.  

2 hours ago, luvtravel said:

We like the itinerary of an Iceland trip scheduled for summer 2023 but its on the Island Princess and its 28 days in length.  Its concerning to find out they are using this ship for a long itinerary when there are fewer dining choices and is more crowded due to reconfiguration years ago.     Does anyone know if its reschedule for refurbishment anytime soon?  I too don't mind if a ship is older but don't like if they've removed good amenities.  

If you are interested in the itinerary, don't let the Island ship stop you from going.  If there was another ship choice, I'd probably want to do that, but we were just fine on the Island for 60 nights around South America and doing another 14 in the Med.  If I was going on a World Cruise, I would not mind the Island.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on the May 26 - June 13 TA this year, in cabin PR703.  That is a handicapped accessible cabin on Promenade, aft of the piazza, shops, etc on Deck 7 (quite convenient).  Except for the aft suite I accidentally got on the Emerald in 2016, it's the best cabin I've ever had:  large, w/a balcony to match & an excellent HA bathroom.

The balcony was the width of the old PR deck, including the wood flooring. The length was half again that of any balcony I've had ('cept the suite).

Fewer eating venues?  Well, there was no Alfedo's or IC (I did miss both) but there was a Sabatini's, Bayou Steakhouse (I had a bigger, high quality filet like Crown Grill), 2 MDRs (both very good) & the buffet (fair to good; good desserts). 

Yes, the wifi was lousy -- as it tends to be in the far northern areas on the globe -- but as long as I could get a message out to my DD each day, I didn't care.  [DD worries about her Solo elderly mom.]

Everyone got a full refund of our wifi purchase.

The Island was my 10th (of 15 current) Princess ships.  I've also been on 3 or 4 PCL ships no longer w/us.  [35+ PCL cruises.]  Except for the constant threat/discussion of Covid (I tested positive 3 days after getting home), it was a very pleasant cruise.  I spent most of the 18 days on my large, covered balcony w/ my Kindle & coffee cup.  I had delightful socialization at dinner w/all the Solo/Singles I met.

If the itinerary is something you really want, don't avoid the slightly older Island Princess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

I was on the May 26 - June 13 TA this year, in cabin PR703.  That is a handicapped accessible cabin on Promenade, aft of the piazza, shops, etc on Deck 7 (quite convenient).  Except for the aft suite I accidentally got on the Emerald in 2016, it's the best cabin I've ever had:  large, w/a balcony to match & an excellent HA bathroom.

The balcony was the width of the old PR deck, including the wood flooring. The length was half again that of any balcony I've had ('cept the suite).

Fewer eating venues?  Well, there was no Alfedo's or IC (I did miss both) but there was a Sabatini's, Bayou Steakhouse (I had a bigger, high quality filet like Crown Grill), 2 MDRs (both very good) & the buffet (fair to good; good desserts). 

Yes, the wifi was lousy -- as it tends to be in the far northern areas on the globe -- but as long as I could get a message out to my DD each day, I didn't care.  [DD worries about her Solo elderly mom.]

Everyone got a full refund of our wifi purchase.

The Island was my 10th (of 15 current) Princess ships.  I've also been on 3 or 4 PCL ships no longer w/us.  [35+ PCL cruises.]  Except for the constant threat/discussion of Covid (I tested positive 3 days after getting home), it was a very pleasant cruise.  I spent most of the 18 days on my large, covered balcony w/ my Kindle & coffee cup.  I had delightful socialization at dinner w/all the Solo/Singles I met.

If the itinerary is something you really want, don't avoid the slightly older Island Princess.

Thanks for your report and review. So, no particular noise or vibration in your cabin from engines or whatever?  A number of folks have reported a vibration issue after staying in that aft section.  I have wondered about trying it since the cabins are much newer than rest of the ship.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, shamrockace said:

@BabySargehubby loved the MRE fruitcake and still talks about it today.  He'd trade the whole MRE for it.  everyone thought he was nuts in the desert 😁

Laughed out loud at the MRE fruitcake remark.  I take extended motorcycle trips and camp out about 1/3 of the time.  While I'm setting up my tent and sleeping bag, I open an MRE and lay the entree on the transmission of the Harley.  By the time I have my camp all setup, I've got a hot meal.  

After those experiences as a benchmark, an inside cabin on any ship with a full promenade, an MDR and a buffet, and somewhere to get a wee dram or three in the evening and I'm good.

Any questions? See my signature line below.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, Loveh2ofl said:

To anyone currently or very recently on the Island PRincess - have the in-room safes been repaired or swapped out?  Many had issues when I was aboard on the 5/11 panama canal cruise

On island princess now. Our safe looked new and worked great. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:31 PM, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for your report and review. So, no particular noise or vibration in your cabin from engines or whatever?  A number of folks have reported a vibration issue after staying in that aft section.  I have wondered about trying it since the cabins are much newer than rest of the ship.

I was not aware of any vibrations in my cabin area.  I was in the front of the aft area (if that makes sense).  I was in an aft suite on the Emerald in 2016; lots of vibration there!  However, the vibrations & motion of the sea lulls me to sleep, so.....

• Thanks 1

We've sailed the Island Princess , last time in 2019.  It's not my favorite Princess ship--no International Cafe!--but for the right itinerary we'd certainly sail her again.  It's not like it was a horrible cruise, we still enjoyed it, just not as much as some other ships.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

On 8/27/2022 at 8:31 PM, Steelers36 said:

We were in PR723 (furthest aft balcony) a few weeks ago and for the first time asked to move after one night due to the vibration.  It was awful, we both hardly slept (and my wife can sleep through almost anything!).  For reference, we had departed Copenhagen and were sailing to  Frederica, Denmark overnight - a relatively short distance through smooth coastal waters at far less than full speed.  So, I figured if it was that bad under those conditions, I didn't like the thought of staying there through a few sea days at higher speed through the North Sea!

I also looked on cc for everything I could find on vibration in that section before I purposefully selected that cabin in the "remodel" section on Deck 7!  I was disappointed to leave honestly as the location was everything I imagined - so convenient.  And the large, covered balcony with the remains of the public promenade deck was great, as was the more modern cabin build (less wood, flat screen across from the bed as on Royal Class and my wife's beloved adjustable shower!).

• Thanks 1