NFT..what are they and why is X selling them?

Luvcrusn

9 hours ago, AndyCapn said:

The trend had pretty already died off a couple of months after Celebrity's foray. It was always a Greater Fool idea like tulip bulbs or beanie babies.

Did it really take that long to die off? 

5 minutes ago, gordylad said:

best just to take your own picture/image...

While some promotors touted "it supports local artists" it was really never about the artwork, it was a virtual investment entity riding on the coattails of virtual crypto currency.  NFT's saw massive gains but it didn't last for long and it crashed hard.  Fun fact, the most expensive NFT transaction was sold for $69.3 Million

image.thumb.png.f38cdb95fbc2fa1d44a40872d0843eda.png

On 6/4/2022 at 12:39 AM, mfs2k said:

I don’t understand why a book can be worth $200,000, a BeanieBaby $3,000 or a bottle of wine $100,000. 
the worth of anything will always come down to supply and demand. 
Any thing, virtual or physical is worth what someone is willing to pay. 
I have a Kindle full of data I paid for over the years. The virtual books have/had value to me but what did I buy?  A data stream. 
Just because you don’t want to bid on the NFT and you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value to someone else. (Not me ) 

I look at it differently.  When I download a kindle book, I'm buying some hours of enjoyment, entertainment, education, instruction, or whatever it is I get out of the book.   The data stream was just how it was delivered.    Kind of like the amusement park.  You don't just buy a small paper ticket. You buy the thrill of the roller coaster ride.   

But I can see that a printed book might be more than a stack of 397 pieces of printed paper.   For some there could be a collector's value beyond enjoying they content.  Can't do that easily with a kindle.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

While some promotors touted "it supports local artists" it was really never about the artwork, it was a virtual investment entity riding on the coattails of virtual crypto currency.  NFT's saw massive gains but it didn't last for long and it crashed hard.  Fun fact, the most expensive NFT transaction was sold for $69.3 Million

image.thumb.png.f38cdb95fbc2fa1d44a40872d0843eda.png

I am willing to sell you a piece of paper saying you own a digital copy of the posted image for half that. 😀

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, DAKing240 said:

The closest analogy I can think of is this. You're on a cruise for the first time, and you visit one of the beautiful islands in the Caribbean. When you get off the ship, you are dropped off at a village that sells all types of goods - Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Gucci. How many of these items do you think are real and authentic?

NFT's are very similar. A lot of NFT's aren't real, or verified, or offer any real utility. (In the case of the Celebrity NFT, the utility is the free trip, not the artwork).

People can lose money because they believe they are getting a deal, or they just flat out click a fake phishing link via email or Facebook chat, and they lose the NFTs immediately (like money being drained from your bank account immediately). The worst part is that there is no customer service when you purchase, sell or lose a NFT.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of NFTs.   See the highlighted area of your comment.  My question is, for a real verified NFT, what is the real utility?     

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of NFTs.   See the highlighted area of your comment.  My question is, for a real verified NFT, what is the real utility?     

There still isn't any. 

They were marketed as a unique digital asset, i.e. like a rare coin, or stamp, or wine. But unlike all those collectible assets which grew out of a useful product, which then had rarity on top, these were just trying to imitate that rarity on top of something that had no real value. And hence you got a lot of silly images (.jpgs) that would otherwise mean nothing, being marketed as something unique and collectible, as if that would transform them to something of value.

Of course, it didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

There still isn't any. 

They were marketed as a unique digital asset, i.e. like a rare coin, or stamp, or wine. But unlike all those collectible assets which grew out of a useful product, which then had rarity on top, these were just trying to imitate that rarity on top of something that had no real value. And hence you got a lot of silly images (.jpgs) that would otherwise mean nothing, being marketed as something unique and collectible, as if that would transform them to something of value.

Of course, it didn't.

Yes, that was the reason for my question to the expert.  The comment was made that some NFTs are unverified, not real, and don't offer real utility.   It appears that real verified NFTs also don't offer any real utility.   Maybe there is a market where they are traded, IDK.   

On 4/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

As soon as I sell my NFT of oceanfront property in Arizona, I'm in!

I'd be willing to trade you for my really cool Bonneville Salt Flats Igloo NFT. Of course I'll miss watching the metaverse land speed trials from it. 😂

As the originator of this thread, I'm curious why it was revived. I'm also not surprised that the NFT offered by X is as yet unpurchased. Is it still even for sale? (Just curious, not interested in spending real money for pretend art.)

14 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

As the originator of this thread, I'm curious why it was revived. I'm also not surprised that the NFT offered by X is as yet unpurchased. Is it still even for sale? (Just curious, not interested in spending real money for pretend art.)

Not sure why the person wrote that, as all 5 did get sold. You can see the sales history under each of the 5 they offered on this page:

The First NFT at Sea Collection | Celebrity Cruises (the 6th was a master that Celebrity kept, not for sale). Likely a few people thought it worthwhile to pay a typical amount for the cruise, and get this NFT 'free'.

3 of the 5 were almost immediately relisted for 3-5x the amount paid. Of course, none have sold since.

P.S. I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the "Second NFT at Sea Collection". Can't be far off now 😉

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Thanks 1