Breakaway Dress Code

joestein514

Do any restaurants require long pants?   Also is the rule enforced?

I have seen many main dining rooms on other ships say long pants, but they are never enforced.

I saw a video that said Manhattan room requires long pants and is enforced.

15 minutes ago, joestein514 said:

I have seen many main dining rooms on other ships say long pants, but they are never enforced.

It's listed when you're making the reservation.  That said, I know Ocean Blue requires long pants and I believe Le Bistro as well.    As I recall, Cagney's did not, which I found surprising.  Personally I always wear long pants there; it just seems like a classier place and I'd feel odd in shorts.  But that's me.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 3

It really depends on the ship. From what I've seen Ocean Blue and Le Bistro are the only specialties that require long pants.

There is usually one main dining room that requires pants, but I think that also may vary depending on the ship.

Besides the first night, this is enforced in the specialties. As an FYI, jeans count as long pants if you don't want to bring a separate pair of dress pants. My husband has worn the jeans he wore on the plane to restaurants that require long pants.

• Like 1

I was not planning on bringing any long pants.   Certainly, no jeans.   I guess I will pack one or two pair of Khakis.   

I really don't want to wear long pants on the cruise - I will look very presentable with shorts.  I have nice shorts - they are not ripped or sweat shorts.  They are similar to Khaki's - just short.   I go to really nice and expensive restaurants in the summer and wear these shorts.   I dont mind a polo or a button down shirt.

I wouldn't book anything in the fancier rooms, but dinner reservations are so hard to come by - it is tough to change them.     Now I understand why there were always more reservations in the Manhattan room.

16 minutes ago, joestein514 said:

but dinner reservations are so hard to come by - it is tough to change them.

In the specialty venues that's because they only open a portion of the reservations prior to embarkation.

39 minutes ago, hallux said:

In the specialty venues that's because they only open a portion of the reservations prior to embarkation.

I usually do specialty restaurants every night.  You're right:  With the exception of Cagney's on the last night, and occasionally Teppanyaki, reservations aren't terribly difficult.  On our last cruise, my friends and I got all sorts of odd times on the website which we took just to lock in (just in case!) but when we went to the podium and asked to be seated earlier, they took us right back.

Edited by phillygwm

2 hours ago, joestein514 said:

I was not planning on bringing any long pants.   Certainly, no jeans.   I guess I will pack one or two pair of Khakis.   

I really don't want to wear long pants on the cruise - I will look very presentable with shorts.  I have nice shorts - they are not ripped or sweat shorts.  They are similar to Khaki's - just short.   I go to really nice and expensive restaurants in the summer and wear these shorts.   I dont mind a polo or a button down shirt.

I wouldn't book anything in the fancier rooms, but dinner reservations are so hard to come by - it is tough to change them.     Now I understand why there were always more reservations in the Manhattan room.

I live on the Gulf Coast so I'm a dedicated shorts wearer, too.  🙂  And even in fancy restaurants around here I can wear shorts with a collared shirt and it's perfectly normal.  But on the cruises I always bring a pair of lightweight Dockers or two just for Le Bistro or if the wife wants to get dolled up for dinner.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 6:12 PM, joestein514 said:

We were on the Breakaway in April and usually had pre-dinner drinks at Prime Meridian Bar or Mix Bar.  We observed men being turned away at both Cagneys and Moderno and also at Tappenyaki.  We usually ate at Taste or Savor and didn't see any shorts but we didn't see anyone turned away either.

7 hours ago, tfinne said:

The Manhattan Room will turn you away if you wear shorts.

That may depend on the ship.  I worse shorts and wasn't turned away at the Manhattan Room on the Joy in March...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoopslover said:

We were on the Breakaway in April and usually had pre-dinner drinks at Prime Meridian Bar or Mix Bar.  We observed men being turned away at both Cagneys and Moderno and also at Tappenyaki.  We usually ate at Taste or Savor and didn't see any shorts but we didn't see anyone turned away either.

If they were turning people away from Cagneys, Moderno and Teppanyaki for wearing shorts then someone was imposing their own dress code on those restaurants. Shorts are allowed in all

three.

• Like 5

We've been on multiple cruises including the Breakaway dining in both Cagney's & the Manhattan room.  My husband has never packed a pair of pants and has never had an issue at any restaurant.  

• Like 1

My husband and I do not wear pants when on vacation in warm locations. We only wear shorts and not the nice kind you're talking about. We wear athletic shorts (Nike, Adidas, etc.) - we were not turned away from any restaurant. We didn't go to Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, or the Manhattan Room as we knew they had a dress code which was fancier than what we desired. If we went to one of those places, we'd definitely follow the , but haute cuisine/dress is not our style.

We were allowed to enter Cagney's, Teppanyaki, and the Haven Restaurant in our desired style - shorts, t-shirts, and flippy floppies. 

You can wear shorts in all restaurants for all meals except Ocean Blue and ale Bistro. The Manhattan Room has been long pants on the past, but there are two alternate MDRs if it is problematic. 

We just got off the Breakaway 29 May. My husband wore shorts in the Manhattan room without any issue. He wears nice shorts with a collar/button up short sleeve shirt so maybe they didn’t mind. I had read they required pants for men but totally forgot and they didn’t say anything. We even asked the next time we ate there and they said he was fine. We did go to Ocean Blue and Le Bistro but remembered to have my husband wear pants.

What surprised me is that they made my husband change shoes at Le Bistro, said he had to wear closed toe. He had on nice Birkenstock (Arizona style) sandals. So he went and changed into his sneakers that he used when we went stomping through waterfalls!

What surprised me even more was that at Cagney’s, while my husband’s nice shorts were fine, they also made him change out of his nice sandals and into closed toe shoes (same sneakers). I was taken aback about that. I understand not wearing flip flops but I don’t understand why men can’t wear a nice sandal. Oh well, mostly wish I knew about it ahead of time.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

That may depend on the ship.  I worse shorts and wasn't turned away at the Manhattan Room on the Joy in March...

This thread refers to the Breakaway.

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

If they were turning people away from Cagneys, Moderno and Teppanyaki for wearing shorts then someone was imposing their own dress code on those restaurants. Shorts are allowed in all

three.

That's what I remember from the Breakaway in October. The requirement applied to Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, and the Manhattan DR.

Dress Code: Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Ocean Blue, Le
Bistro and Manhattan Room after 5:00p. Shoes and shirt must be worn.

Several years ago (2019) I was a guest in Cagney's on the Epic of someone with a Platinum certificate. He asked me to change to long trousers, but it wasn't in fact required.

Yes and in my experience yes.

Even if it was not enforced uniformly I would wear long pants, even though I don't like them, because they request them.

18 hours ago, joestein514 said:

I really don't want to wear long pants on the cruise

I don't like wearing long pants on vacation either, but it is what it is.

7 hours ago, JbCruisingSoon said:

Ocean Blue called the room and left a message that pants were required for men.

Oh that's right.  I'd totally forgotten about that!  Of course, if you didn't pack long pants that won't help you.

6 hours ago, HxFx said:

We just got off the Breakaway 29 May. My husband wore shorts in the Manhattan room without any issue. He wears nice shorts with a collar/button up short sleeve shirt so maybe they didn’t mind. I had read they required pants for men but totally forgot and they didn’t say anything. We even asked the next time we ate there and they said he was fine. We did go to Ocean Blue and Le Bistro but remembered to have my husband wear pants.

What surprised me is that they made my husband change shoes at Le Bistro, said he had to wear closed toe. He had on nice Birkenstock (Arizona style) sandals. So he went and changed into his sneakers that he used when we went stomping through waterfalls!

What surprised me even more was that at Cagney’s, while my husband’s nice shorts were fine, they also made him change out of his nice sandals and into closed toe shoes (same sneakers). I was taken aback about that. I understand not wearing flip flops but I don’t understand why men can’t wear a nice sandal. Oh well, mostly wish I knew about it ahead of time.

We ladies can wear  dressy sandals, so why can't men?

• Like 1