What’s it currently like on the Regal? Just curious as there are no “Live from” threads

Ken the cruiser

• Ken the cruiser changed the title to What’s it currently like on the Regal? Just curious as there are no “Live from” threads

Funny. Great minds I guess. I was skimming the Regal Roll Calls today hoping to get some insight on testing and boarding in Athens thinking that somebody from a June sailing would provide an update. I’d like to know a bit more before my cruise in the Fall. But the current Regal passengers are apparently not very chatty. 

• Like 2

I was booked earlier this year and cancelled due to illness. Most were Europeans on roll calls. I think with the port intensive cruises, it makes it more difficult. Internet was reported as being poor also.

Edited by Coral

You can follow "Let's Go! Travel Tips" on YouTube. She's been vlogging every day from the Regal. Highlights include: service and food is good, Sanctuary was bad, internet is crawling (you can't do EMed test/ video call from the ship), ports have been open and normal, no masks required, watch out for your EZ Air because flights have been changing, and Regal hasn't been covid-testing anyone to get back to the US if their flight is after 12 noon. Capacity this week is almost 3,500, so basically a full ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, jpswoon said:

You can follow "Let's Go! Travel Tips" on YouTube. She's been vlogging every day from the Regal. Highlights include: service and food is good, Sanctuary was bad, internet is crawling (you can't do EMed test/ video call from the ship), ports have been open and normal, no masks required, watch out for your EZ Air because flights have been changing, and Regal hasn't been covid-testing anyone to get back to the US if their flight is after 12 noon. Capacity this week is almost 3,500, so basically a full ship. 

Thanks. I’ll check them out. Hopefully we’ll hear from some others on the Regal as well.

This question is for @Alanr204 or @wowzz or anyone currently on the Regal who might know the answer to the following question. Have you by chance heard what was mentioned in post #5 regarding what was said recently on the referenced vlog? Specifically:

“Regal hasn't been covid-testing anyone to get back to the US if their flight is after 12 noon.”

I checked and our Princess-booked flight on AA leaves out of Barcelona back to the USA at 1:40 pm on disembarkation day. I realize our flight isn’t until July 23. It just seems weird the Regal isn’t providing the needed antigen tests for passengers flying back to the USA on disembarkation day if their flight leaves after 12 noon. Just looking for confirmation or if the vlogger misspoke.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Funny. Great minds I guess. I was skimming the Regal Roll Calls today hoping to get some insight on testing and boarding in Athens thinking that somebody from a June sailing would provide an update. I’d like to know a bit more before my cruise in the Fall. But the current Regal passengers are apparently not very chatty. 

I am on RC's for our October voyages on Regal and Island and only one has been somewhat active, including a spreadsheet for activities and port excursion postings.  Th rest have been almost like a ghost town, but perhaps some stirring of late will grow. 

I know October isn't high season, but I think fewer guests from N.A. on these voyages and we are the biggest group of participants on Cruise Critic.  I know we have several posters on Princess board from the UK, but almost never see anyone identified as from continental Europe.  It is frustrating when trying to make connections and recruit for various shore excursions. 

2 hours ago, jpswoon said:

It is apparent that multiple ships - and perhaps the entire active fleet - is suffering with poor internet service and the Fastest Internet at Sea is just another empty marketing promise.  Unless satellites are off-line, I don't understand it.  The satellites are up there still and the ships have the same satellite receivers as in 2019.  So, what's broken I wonder (I don't expect you to know)?  Is there just that much more demand and load on the system and the infrastructure was not built for the functionality being asked of it these days?  If it's a connectivity issue, I don't see why the satellite provider can't do something.  Internet has been so bad on some voyages, all pax refunded.

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious. We’re scheduled to board on July 2 in Barcelona and just looking for any insights regarding some of the fun times currently being experienced onboard! 😁

As you know, we were on Regal for 14 days, commencing in Barcelona, ending in Athens. 

2,300 pax on the first week, 2,800 on the second (approximately). Americans were in the majority, followed by Canadians, then Brits. 

Only 3 sea days in the 14 days, so not much time for onboard "fun". The usual evening activities were available. 

Personally, I had no issues with internet speed, but am only a sporadic user. 

All those staying onboard for the Athens to Barcelona were tested on the last Friday of the cruise. I have no specific knowledge as to testing for those returning to the US/Canada,  but anecdotally I believe testing was not offered 

• Thanks 2

Also going to be on the Regal for 21 nights (Barcelona to Barcelona) in August. Biggest stressor at this point is the testing. Specifically, we know we need to test before boarding in Barcelona, and as of now before arriving in Athens on day 14. Does anyone know, if we would also need to test before arriving in Civitavecchia (Rome) on Day 7?

Thank you.

35 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Does anyone know, if we would also need to test before arriving in Civitavecchia (Rome) on Day 7?

Thank you.

No testing required on our recent cruise.

• Thanks 1

There is a very active Regal Princess group on Facebook that has lots of reports and photos.  People seem to be having a great time in general but of course the usual minor complaints raise their head, e.g. someone daring to go to the MDR without a tux 😮

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dddone said:

I’m on board and post #5 is spot on.  Can’t think of anything to add.  

If I might ask, how were you notified that there won't be any covid-testing for anyone to get back to the USA if their flight is after 12 noon?

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, how were you notified that there won't be any covid-testing for anyone to get back to the USA if their flight is after 12 noon?

That was reported in a live vlog from the Let's Go Travel Tips hosts. It is discussed here starting at the 12:00 minute mark.  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK about your Roll Calls, but despite these numbers, our RC's for October are almost at church mouse level.

Yeah, I am kind of relieved there are so many port days since there is little opportunity for socializing anyway.  We're only on Regal  for the first week of October anyway.  The roll call on our Anthem OTS transatlantic that same month, with its 8 sea days, is very active.

Edited by vjmatty

8 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yeah, I am kind of relieved there are so many port days since there is little opportunity for socializing anyway.  We're only on Regal  for the first week of October anyway.  The roll call on our Anthem OTS transatlantic that same month, with its 8 sea days, is very active.

I am not concerned about socializing.  In the past, I have used RC participation to arrange small group tours.  Tough slogging this time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not concerned about socializing.  In the past, I have used RC participation to arrange small group tours.  Tough slogging this time.

I thought all of your tours were full?

I used to do the tour coordinating thing but it started taking away from the enjoyment of the cruise or at least the port.  I don't mind if someone we meet on board wants to join us on something we've booked on our own though.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It is apparent that multiple ships - and perhaps the entire active fleet - is suffering with poor internet service and the Fastest Internet at Sea is just another empty marketing promise.  Unless satellites are off-line, I don't understand it.  The satellites are up there still and the ships have the same satellite receivers as in 2019.  So, what's broken I wonder (I don't expect you to know)?  Is there just that much more demand and load on the system and the infrastructure was not built for the functionality being asked of it these days?  If it's a connectivity issue, I don't see why the satellite provider can't do something.  Internet has been so bad on some voyages, all pax refunded.

There was a massive reduction in speed sometime between January, and early February.

It was announced somewhere, that Princess changed satellite providers.

My guess is they opted for a cheaper, slower/throttled service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK about your Roll Calls, but despite these numbers, our RC's for October are almost at church mouse level.

I checked a roll call for a friend of mine that's not on CC.

It's a Med sailing on Virgin next week, and there was only one post!

14 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with Covid.  Maybe people are less inclined to pair up with strangers right now.

Had friends on the ship last month. The husband tested positive while on the ship. The wife did not. From their post: 

"Ongoing cruise/trip saga continues…happy to be released from Covid jail yesterday had a nice day in Naples went to upload documents to United this am (flight is tomorrow) and they told me that I am not allowed to fly to the US until Tuesday after 7:36am per CDC hurray more work from anywhere time seriously?
If you want to travel internationally keep in mind that you could be having an extended vacation, you can’t fly to the US from outside the US if you test positive until the first 10 full days after the positive test, would be nice if actually retired and insured the trip. Well at least we insured the trip. Onto Barcelona tomorrow when we get off the ship."
  • Thanks 1