ArriveCan

From a trip to Vancouver last week it seems no one ever looks at your ArriveCan directly.

If you scan your passport at customs, this lets the system scan your ArriveCan and the printout you hand to border patrol will tell them what they need to know (ie, not vaccinated, go to the testing line).

On disembarking the ship, I can only assume either they don't care about ArriveCan at that point, or RC provided the information via passport data and if you needed a test (in which only those who may have boarded with a vaccine exception would apply) they'd work that out prior to disembarkation.

• 2 months later...

Here's the thing with this...WHY do I have to find out about this on a forum and not directly from the cruiseline I'm traveling with? Am I missing something here? Or would nothing be said till we embark - which would make for a stressful way to start the cruise. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Here's the thing with this...WHY do I have to find out about this on a forum and not directly from the cruiseline I'm traveling with? Am I missing something here? Or would nothing be said till we embark - which would make for a stressful way to start the cruise. 

I received a reminder from Royal via email 2 days ago for my embarkation this coming Friday.

The timeline and one's circumstances can add layers of confusion. For example, Jerry and I

are doing a B2B, but Bermuda is first and Canada is second. This is in October, so I didn't start or get any apps yet. Do  most of my work on desktop, but I will not have that or internet on the ship. ArriveCAN site says, "You can use the ArriveCAN website or the ArriveCAN mobile app to submit your travel information. Once you create your account, you can use the same email and password for both the website and the app. However, you must use the same platform to start and finish a submission. For example, you can't start a submission on the app and finish it on the website."

It seems to me that one cannot start it at home on a desktop and then finish up on an app when you are traveling. Can I just input our docs, etc.in advance? It is a real PITA to try to take photos and upload them with a Fire Tablet or Tracfone smart phone. Anyone else have experience with this?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

You aren't reading the cruise line's website, the information is readily available there.  You should also be reading all the emails they send out telling you that ArriveCan is needed.  It was also in our cruise docs when we sailed.

Choose Cape Liberty, Canada sailing here and it tells you exactly what is required.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

It's even worse than not getting detailed information - RCCL is giving incorrect info!  Below is what I get when I click on the "Healthy Cruising" link on my reservation.  They know I'm going to Canada, and Canada requires everyone age 12 and over arriving by cruise ship to be fully vaccinated!

image.thumb.png.f6255a2f1f8c24425d1a7e90faa53034.png

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

RCCL is giving incorrect info! 

Crazy stuff. I just came across something that said RCL no longer requires covid testing if the cruise is 6 nights or less. Anything longer still requires it. This stuff drives me crazy. DW and I are talking more and more about sticking to simpler domestic travel. 

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You aren't reading the cruise line's website, the information is readily available there.  You should also be reading all the emails they send out telling you that ArriveCan is needed.  It was also in our cruise docs when we sailed.

Choose Cape Liberty, Canada sailing here and it tells you exactly what is required.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

You are correct - it's all there when you pick a port, but why not put it on the  main page of your cruise details?  Like _ posted above, the information is not even correct.  Here's another one I get when I click "View Boarding Pass":

image.thumb.png.5d0f7c96372561f5cae5535c488f2ba2.png

5 minutes ago, rudeney said:

It's even worse than not getting detailed information - RCCL is giving incorrect info!  Below is what I get when I click on the "Healthy Cruising" link on my reservation.  They know I'm going to Canada, and Canada requires everyone age 12 and over arriving by cruise ship to be fully vaccinated!

image.thumb.png.f6255a2f1f8c24425d1a7e90faa53034.png

Just be happy the Royal communications folks don't steer the ship. You'd end up in Portland, Oregon rather than Portland, Maine.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Just be happy the Royal communications folks don't steer the ship. You'd end up in Portland, Oregon rather than Portland, Maine.

LOL!!  Here's a good one....under the 'which guests can now sail regardless of vaccination status' it includes anyone going on the Oasis out of Cape Liberty. LOL  Wonderful. Nothing like sailing with 5400 other people who might not be vaccinated!!!  But that's the only itinerary mentioned for sailing out of CL. Gotta love it. Although if the itinerary is going to Canada, then probably need vaccination proof. Can't wait till all these rescheduled cruises are over so we can finally look seriously at future travel planning and choose what is the LEAST amount of hassle and stress. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

September 29th is not less than 4 weeks away.

Cut me some slack. The point is....I've not received any emails as you refer to. The first I have heard about this Canada thing is from a post on my roll call. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

Cut me some slack. The point is....I've not received any emails as you refer to. The first I have heard about this Canada thing is from a post on my roll call. 

Emails are sent out as you get closer to sailing date.  You will be getting many once you are actually a month out from your sailing.

As far as not knowing about the "Canada thing" prior to a post on the rollcall, it is up to all of us to know the requirements to sail.  We all have to do our research.  The information is there if you look.

True enough. I admit to not having paid any attention to this cruise until yesterday having been busy with many other things, not the least of which is arranging airfare for an international cruise. The most recent thing I've been looking into (and ALSO knew nothing about) is the change in MyTimeDining - had no idea the times are shifted later than used to be. 

As to "doing our research", consider that there still ARE folks that don't use the internet or computers very much. I don't see how many of them manage in this day and age unless kept in close contact with a TA. Frankly I'm tired of having to do research on what is required for some of these trips. Travel used to be simple and uncomplicated. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

44 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I received a reminder from Royal via email 2 days ago for my embarkation this coming Friday.

Wowsers...yeah...now THAT's what I call lots of advance notice. Sheesh.....😆 Lemme guess...that was your only communication about it?  Still, reallyitsmema is correct - it's ultimately our job to know what we need to do. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

47 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

43 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just received this text minutes ago.  We are 3 days from embarkation.  Along with all of the messaging on their website I think Royal has done more than a enough to keep me up to date. 

IMG_2026.thumb.PNG.28d26bdc09b99e61c04a724e3c74d721.PNG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are 3 days from embarkation.

Thanks. I see the info on the website. It just hit me by surprise cause I've not yet really checked into the requirements for this cruise until a few days ago and thus far only dealt with the dining issue and then today decided to check in. 

Now....something has me confused though. If you complete the arriveCAN before you even embark, what about the requirement to not submit the actual info until within 72 hours prior to arrival into Canada?  How much is completed before embarkation and how much is then finished / submitted once on the ship? Suppose a given itinerary wouldn't arrive into Canada until a week or more into the cruise? I'm at the point in the app where it is telling me "Great! You're all set! Would you like to start your ArriveCAN form now?" to which I can either check the box (start now) or "I'll do it later".   So should I trudge on farther or leave it at that for the present? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

8 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

True enough. I admit to not having paid any attention to this cruise until yesterday having been busy with many other things, not the least of which is arranging airfare for an international cruise. The most recent thing I've been looking into (and ALSO knew nothing about) is the change in MyTimeDining - had no idea the times are shifted later than used to be. 

As to "doing our research", consider that there still ARE folks that don't use the internet or computers very much. I don't see how many of them manage in this day and age unless kept in close contact with a TA. Frankly I'm tired of having to do research on what is required for some of these trips. Travel used to be simple and uncomplicated. 

Unfortunately, nothing is "simple and uncomplicated" these days.  

FYI, the My Time Dining change is not a covid change, that happened before the cruise shutdown.

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wowsers...yeah...now THAT's what I call lots of advance notice. Sheesh.....😆 Lemme guess...that was your only communication about it?  Still, reallyitsmema is correct - it's ultimately our job to know what we need to do. 

When traveling internationally I tend to familiarize myself with immigration issues, local customs and potential problems that might not be experienced while traveling domestically. I'm sorry this causing you so much stress.  

I can assure you that it is a very simple process.  Download the app, fill in basic person info as early as convenient.  3 days for before your embarkation, if traveling out of Seattle, or your arrival to Canada if leaving from Vancouver fill in the details of your cruise.  Took me 5 minutes this morning to do both myself and my wife on the same app and phone.

Sorry if I have missed the answer somewhere.....when do we do it when you board in Whittier Alaska  ( land first) but DISEMBARK in Vancouver? 72 hrs from embarking at the start of cruise or 72 hrs before Vancouver. We have done the preliminary work on the app. 😵😵 Oh how I miss the " good ol days"

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks. I see the info on the website. It just hit me by surprise cause I've not yet really checked into the requirements for this cruise until a few days ago and thus far only dealt with the dining issue and then today decided to check in. 

Now....something has me confused though. If you complete the arriveCAN before you even embark, what about the requirement to not submit the actual info until within 72 hours prior to arrival into Canada?  How much is completed before embarkation and how much is then finished / submitted once on the ship? Suppose a given itinerary wouldn't arrive into Canada until a week or more into the cruise? 

You put all the information into ArriveCan and then finish it 72 hours prior to your sailing.  Our Canada stop was on day 7 of our cruise.  We did nothing in ArriveCan while on the ship.

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Now....something has me confused though. If you complete the arriveCAN before you even embark, what about the requirement to not submit the actual info until within 72 hours prior to arrival into Canada?  How much is completed before embarkation and how much is then finished / submitted once on the ship? Suppose a given itinerary wouldn't arrive into Canada until a week or more into the cruise? I'm at the point in the app where it is telling me "Great! You're all set! Would you like to start your ArriveCAN form now?" to which I can either check the box (start now) or "I'll do it later".   So should I trudge on farther or leave it at that for the present? 

Are you cruising out of Vancouver or Seattle.  If Vancouver, when are you arriving in Vancouver and how?  By land or air?