What's required when non family member comes

In a moment of temporary insanity,  I've considered letting our then 13 yo dd bring a friend on our cruise next year.  If we do it, other than her own passport,  etc, what would be required from her parents (who are divorced,  but I'm assuming she needs permission from both) for us to bring her? 

I realize things can change,  I'm just trying to figure out if this is even feasible.  We would be leaving from the United States but visiting Nassau and Labadee, among others. 

We once brought our nieces on a cruise with us.  We had a letter from their parents giving us permission to take them out of the country AND giving us permission to make medical decisions.  No one even looked at them when we checked in at the Cruise Terminal, but I would not have traveled without those permissions.  

I'd also make a list of your rules /expectations ahead of time and have a sit-down with the girl and her parents ahead of time.  Be very specific.  Things I'd want to discuss with kids that age:  logistics of reaching the ship and checking in, safety onboard, your family's curfew, sticking together, not going into other people's cabins, whether you expect to eat dinner together as a family, leaving the ship for islands as a family, spending money.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We once brought our nieces on a cruise with us.  We had a letter from their parents giving us permission to take them out of the country AND giving us permission to make medical decisions.  No one even looked at them when we checked in at the Cruise Terminal, but I would not have traveled without those permissions.  

I'd also make a list of your rules /expectations ahead of time and have a sit-down with the girl and her parents ahead of time.  Be very specific.  Things I'd want to discuss with kids that age:  logistics of reaching the ship and checking in, safety onboard, your family's curfew, sticking together, not going into other people's cabins, whether you expect to eat dinner together as a family, leaving the ship for islands as a family, spending money.  

Absolutely. 

Being we may invite her, I feel we are bound to pay her cruise fare, but I don't expect to pay $50 each day she goes to the arcade,  etc.  And I would pay for her to do what we do (excursions) but not for souvenirs etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Absolutely. 

Being we may invite her, I feel we are bound to pay her cruise fare, but I don't expect to pay $50 each day she goes to the arcade,  etc.  And I would pay for her to do what we do (excursions) but not for souvenirs etc. 

Nobody really goes to the arcade anymore

Everyone has PlayStation & Xbox now.

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Our cruise next month has a friend of DD (17) and DS' GF (19).  We arranged the travel last year.  A week or so ago we got together with the parents and went over our rules.  I had them typed out...

This document is to make sure everyone understands the behavior and other expectations we expect everyone to abide by.  If there is a situation not covered here, <me> and <DW> will make the best judgement available that takes everything into consideration.

Sea Pass When we check in at the ship, everyone will be issued a SeaPass card.  This card will be used as the room key, make purchases while on board or on the private islands, and check back into the ship after a port visit.  Each person is responsible for keeping up with their card.

Cell Phones/Tablets We will NOT be purchasing any kind of internet or cellular package for the trip.  Once the ship leaves the dock, it is expected cell phones & tablets will be placed in airplane mode or turned off for the duration of the cruise.  Cellular and wifi connections can and will result in an added charge, which can be substantial.  Families will be responsible for paying any fee incurred.  If families want to pay for an internet package, let <me> and <DW> know and we can book it (and get reimbursed).  Current rate is $12/day, so $96 for the trip.  That allows web browsing, emails, and messenger chat.

Dinner Dinner times will be announced before the trip.  Everyone is expected to be at dinner each night.  Dress, while “casual”, is expected to be a little nicer than what’s normally worn around the ship.  Slacks, collared shirts, skirts, blouses, and sundresses are all appropriate.  There will (probably) be two “Formal” nights for dinner.  This is a chance to dress up a little more if desired (dresses & button down shirts).  

Excursions Excursions will be announced before the trip.  Everyone is expected to attend the excursions, and be ready to leave the cabins at the appropriate time.

Curfew  Royal Caribbean has a strict 1am curfew for those under 17 (unless leaving an RCI designated teen event).  <DD> and <DD Friend> will be expected to be back in the cabin at this time.  <DS> and <DS GF> will be expected back at 2am . Regardless of what time you return to the cabin, if there is a morning excursion the next day, you are expected to be ready to go at the appropriate time.

Spending Account All purchases while on the ship will go on the room account.  There are no allowances to pay with cash or credit card.  Any souvenirs or “extra activities” (escape room, classes (if offered), arcade, etc) will be paid by <me> and <DW> and will need to be reimbursed.  The reimbursement can happen each day or at the end of the trip. 

Drinks We will provide everyone with a non-alcoholic drink package.  This means you can go up to any bar and get soda, “virgin” drinks, water, juice, etc.  DO NOT ACCEPT A DRINK FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN A BARTENDER OR WAITER.  <me> & <DW> WILL have alcoholic drinks, but will do so responsibly.

General Behavior Any behavior that disturbs other guests will not be tolerated.  This includes but not limited to pressing all buttons in an elevator before getting off, cutting in line and being loud in cabin hallways/balconies.  Any damage caused to other’s property will be required to be replaced or fixed by those causing the damage. 

Rooms No one other than members of our traveling party are allowed in our rooms without <me> or <DW>  present.  You are not to go in anyone else’s room at any time. 

Failure to abide by these rules will result in a loss of “freedom” and subject to consequences, up to and including being forced to stay with <me> and <DW>.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Our cruise next month has a friend of DD (17) and DS' GF (19).  We arranged the travel last year.  A week or so ago we got together with the parents and went over our rules.  I had them typed out...

This document is to make sure everyone understands the behavior and other expectations we expect everyone to abide by.  If there is a situation not covered here, <me> and <DW> will make the best judgement available that takes everything into consideration.

Sea Pass When we check in at the ship, everyone will be issued a SeaPass card.  This card will be used as the room key, make purchases while on board or on the private islands, and check back into the ship after a port visit.  Each person is responsible for keeping up with their card.

Cell Phones/Tablets We will NOT be purchasing any kind of internet or cellular package for the trip.  Once the ship leaves the dock, it is expected cell phones & tablets will be placed in airplane mode or turned off for the duration of the cruise.  Cellular and wifi connections can and will result in an added charge, which can be substantial.  Families will be responsible for paying any fee incurred.  If families want to pay for an internet package, let <me> and <DW> know and we can book it (and get reimbursed).  Current rate is $12/day, so $96 for the trip.  That allows web browsing, emails, and messenger chat.

Dinner Dinner times will be announced before the trip.  Everyone is expected to be at dinner each night.  Dress, while “casual”, is expected to be a little nicer than what’s normally worn around the ship.  Slacks, collared shirts, skirts, blouses, and sundresses are all appropriate.  There will (probably) be two “Formal” nights for dinner.  This is a chance to dress up a little more if desired (dresses & button down shirts).  

Excursions Excursions will be announced before the trip.  Everyone is expected to attend the excursions, and be ready to leave the cabins at the appropriate time.

Curfew  Royal Caribbean has a strict 1am curfew for those under 17 (unless leaving an RCI designated teen event).  <DD> and <DD Friend> will be expected to be back in the cabin at this time.  <DS> and <DS GF> will be expected back at 2am . Regardless of what time you return to the cabin, if there is a morning excursion the next day, you are expected to be ready to go at the appropriate time.

Spending Account All purchases while on the ship will go on the room account.  There are no allowances to pay with cash or credit card.  Any souvenirs or “extra activities” (escape room, classes (if offered), arcade, etc) will be paid by <me> and <DW> and will need to be reimbursed.  The reimbursement can happen each day or at the end of the trip. 

Drinks We will provide everyone with a non-alcoholic drink package.  This means you can go up to any bar and get soda, “virgin” drinks, water, juice, etc.  DO NOT ACCEPT A DRINK FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN A BARTENDER OR WAITER.  <me> & <DW> WILL have alcoholic drinks, but will do so responsibly.

General Behavior Any behavior that disturbs other guests will not be tolerated.  This includes but not limited to pressing all buttons in an elevator before getting off, cutting in line and being loud in cabin hallways/balconies.  Any damage caused to other’s property will be required to be replaced or fixed by those causing the damage. 

Rooms No one other than members of our traveling party are allowed in our rooms without <me> or <DW>  present.  You are not to go in anyone else’s room at any time. 

Failure to abide by these rules will result in a loss of “freedom” and subject to consequences, up to and including being forced to stay with <me> and <DW>.

These rules will last for the first hour. Us very old kids often wear shorts to dinner,,, we're on vacation. 

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No one even looked at them when we checked in at the Cruise Terminal, but I would not have traveled without those permissions.

Same.  

I've traveled twice with an underage girl who was not my daughter.  Both times I had a notarized letter from her mother giving me permission to leave the country with her and make medical and legal decisions for her during the trip, but nobody ever asked for the documents, let alone actually looked at them.

I'm guessing that it helped that she had a passport (which meant that nobody ever needed to look at a birth certificate, which would have shown that I wasn't a parent), but also that it's so common for children to not have the same last name as at least one parent these days that nobody even bats an eye.

But I still would never take a minor child out of the country without a signed and notarized document from a parent giving me permission to do so.

Also, regarding medical care, in the event of a true emergency, medical professionals will render life-saving care whether they have "parental permission" or not.  A child won't bleed out while medical staff stand around twiddling their thumbs waiting for "permission" to administer medical care. 

For something that's urgent but not life-threatening (like surgery to pin together a broken arm), a half-hour wait to get Mom/Dad on the phone to give permission for surgery isn't going to kill the child (and it will probably take longer than that to call the surgeon and the rest of the surgical team in to the hospital and get the OR booked and all that jazz anyway). 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

These rules will last for the first hour. Us very old kids often wear shorts to dinner,,, we're on vacation. 

So modify them to fit your needs.  It's what we expect of the people in our care.  I don't care what others do. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Same.  

I've traveled twice with an underage girl who was not my daughter.  Both times I had a notarized letter from her mother giving me permission to leave the country with her and make medical and legal decisions for her during the trip, but nobody ever asked for the documents, let alone actually looked at them.

I'm guessing that it helped that she had a passport (which meant that nobody ever needed to look at a birth certificate, which would have shown that I wasn't a parent), but also that it's so common for children to not have the same last name as at least one parent these days that nobody even bats an eye.

But I still would never take a minor child out of the country without a signed and notarized document from a parent giving me permission to do so.

Also, regarding medical care, in the event of a true emergency, medical professionals will render life-saving care whether they have "parental permission" or not.  A child won't bleed out while medical staff stand around twiddling their thumbs waiting for "permission" to administer medical care. 

For something that's urgent but not life-threatening (like surgery to pin together a broken arm), a half-hour wait to get Mom/Dad on the phone to give permission for surgery isn't going to kill the child (and it will probably take longer than that to call the surgeon and the rest of the surgical team in to the hospital and get the OR booked and all that jazz anyway). 

It literally takes 5 minutes to fill out a document for medical decisions, my mom used to watch my sister’s kids for a week every year so she could go to Europe, almost every time someone has an ear infection or injury requiring a trip to urgent care. Speaking of which, I’d make sure they had trip insurance that covered medical.

First, as you mentioned, she would need a passport.  If she doesn't have one, usually a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID should work.

Second, she'll need to be fully vaccinated at least 2 weeks before the sail date.

Third, a COVID test.  Details for the accepted tests can be found on the Royal Caribbean website.

Fourth, a notarized form giving her permission to travel with you (unless her parents are coming).  Your TA or Royal should have this form and can send it to you.  

• Like 1

You've already received great suggestions.

I always buy trip insurance for trips outside the USA.  When we brought my daughter's boyfriend, I bought the same policy for him.

I love the document that S.A.M.J.R. wrote.  I agree that having a document of understanding and reviewing it with her and her parents BEFORE you book the trip is a great way to make sure you're all on the same page.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

What's your problem?  Someone said they'd list the rules they expect people in their care to abide, and I provided the list of what we expect from those in our care.  Don't like them?  Don't use them.  

As a parent of many kids between the ages of 19 - 25, the list seems heavy. Why can’t the “kids” link their expenses to a credit card of their own? Why do adults have curfews? Can the 19 year old go ashore on their own? On our last cruise our oldest were 19 and 20, we had no written agreement, but they did have dinner with us every night and went on the one excursion we had planned (all inclusive day pass = free drinks).

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

As a parent of many kids between the ages of 19 - 25, the list seems heavy. Why can’t the “kids” link their expenses to a credit card of their own? Why do adults have curfews? Can the 19 year old go ashore on their own? On our last cruise our oldest were 19 and 20, we had no written agreement, but they did have dinner with us every night and went on the one excursion we had planned (all inclusive day pass = free drinks).

Please quote the part where I said every family MUST use these rules.  I don't remember typing it, but it must be in there somewhere the way some people are reacting. 

This is what works for us, and we have no complaints from the other families.  

FWIW, I don't do a set of rules when it's just our family travelling.  

We have traveled with 3 of my daughter's friends (at different times- I'm not crazy LOL).  In all cases I got the notarized letter with permission to travel, make medical decisions and to sign all waivers.  In the case where the parents were divorced I got one from each parent.  We paid cruise fare, parents paid air/walking around cash.  Only 1x in Jamaica the friend was pulled aside by port authorities and asked who we were to her and if she was safe with us.  Still glad I had all the docs.  They were 12 on that trip.  We had known the girl her whole life so no need to go into expectations.  They knew they were lucky and weren't about to blow it!

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

^^^ Didn't see how referring to someone as "Mommie Dearest" could be taken as an insult.  Needs to learn his audience. ^^^

You' seem a bit tightly wound.  Perhaps this vacation will help you to lighten up a little.   

Initially i was making a joke, but clearly my initial observation was spot on.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F27TW said:

You' seem a bit tightly wound.  Perhaps this vacation will help you to lighten up a little.   

Initially i was making a joke, but clearly my initial observation was spot on.   

You might want to go back to clown school then.  

Now, was that a joke or an insult?  hmm... 

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You might want to go back to clown school then.  

Now, was that a joke or an insult?  hmm... 

You may want to attend a few of the comedy shows while you're on board.  It might do you some good.  You don't seem like a bundle of laughs at present. 

PS -- Do you have your entire family sign and initial your rule sheet ? 

• Thanks 1