Declining turndown service?

Matco

Is it possible to tell our cabin steward to not turndown our cabin everyday? I would tip them on the first day and let them know if and when we need the trash taken out or extra towels but other than that we will take care of the rest. Not sure if Carnival allows that or not. I know some hotels in Vegas need to have housekeeping "check" the room every 3 days 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is??????

Yes, a lot of people don't like the steward coming in every day. I do like the freshly made bed and fresh towels each day but each to their own.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yes, a lot of people don't like the steward coming in every day. I do like the freshly made bed and fresh towels each day but each to their own.

Carnival has a "welfare check " policy which requires the cabin steward to check in personally with at least one guest in each cabin daily. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Carnival has a "welfare check " policy which requires the cabin steward to check in personally with at least one guest in each cabin daily. 

Doesn't mean they have to go in and change out towels and all that. The steward can see you walking through the halls and that satisfies the policy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Doesn't mean they have to go in and change out towels and all that. The steward can see you walking through the halls and that satisfies the policy.

I didn't say they have to clean the cabin. The OP said: "I know some hotels in Vegas need to have housekeeping "check" the room every 3 days." I informed the OP a steward will check with at least one guest per cabin daily. 

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Matco said:

I figured as much I just wanted to double check as this is our first trip since Covid

Quite a few people have chosen this option since covid became a problem. As long as the steward can view the people in the room it shouldn't be a problem.  They are required to clean the room eventually.

But hold them off as long as you can 😉.

1 minute ago, farjar said:

We just leave the Do Not Disturb sign out on those days we don't wish to be bothered and bring it in on days we want service.

The steward still checks your room every day.  Leaving the DND up all day doesn't change that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, farjar said:

We just leave the Do Not Disturb sign out on those days we don't wish to be bothered and bring it in on days we want service.

We usually do the same but I just wanted to give the steward a heads up that we most likely will not need them to service the room daily. I would just catch them in the halls when we need something

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

The steward still checks your room every day.  Leaving the DND up all day doesn't change that.

We have actually had the DND sign up and been in the room when they knocked on the door and popped their head in to check everything was ok, luckily we were out on the balcony when that happened  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matco said:

We usually do the same but I just wanted to give the steward a heads up that we most likely will not need them to service the room daily. I would just catch them in the halls when we need something

I did this once and the steward kept feeling like when I asked I wanted it right then and I felt like I was causing more work than just letting them service the room so I just let them service it. Each to their own.

Just now, mz-s said:

I did this once and the steward kept feeling like when I asked I wanted it right then and I felt like I was causing more work than just letting them service the room so I just let them service it. Each to their own.

We have had a few that think the same but I just let them know we are in no hurry and to stop by when they have a chance, its worked out in the past but I can see how it could mess up the rhythm of their workflow  

57 minutes ago, Matco said:

We have had a few that think the same but I just let them know we are in no hurry and to stop by when they have a chance, its worked out in the past but I can see how it could mess up the rhythm of their workflow  

Exactly I felt like I was actually causing more work by trying to save them work and it just didn't work out. They have a system that works for them. For example they often have assistants that make up the beds while they do the shower or vice versa.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Exactly I felt like I was actually causing more work by trying to save them work and it just didn't work out. They have a system that works for them. For example they often have assistants that make up the beds while they do the shower or vice versa.

The stewards are very much concerned that by saving them work, you are one of those who decide to save yourself some money b removing tips so they want to try hard to show you some service.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

This is the 2nd post I have seen on it (both covid related).  Head scratching material

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

The stewards are very much concerned that by saving them work, you are one of those who decide to save yourself some money b removing tips so they want to try hard to show you some service.

You know that makes sense now that you mention it.

• Like 2

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

That service is THEIR job

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

That's why I am going to tip them cash on the first day 

Edited by Matco
  • Like 2