Same Ship Different Season: An Equinox LIVE Solo Review (6/18/22)

GenerationX

1 hour ago, sdnich said:

We just made final payment for our September cruise and I was able to pull up the app and curious about sushi on five which we love!! Have  you ever tried the shrimp and scallop dynamite  hot pot?? I usually always get the lobster Ramen which I love but I think I need to try something new ! I’m definitely going to try the pork Ramen that you also love!

I am not a huge sushi fan. But the shrimp and scallop hot pot dynamite is one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Spicy but not overly so.  
PS the general consensus in our area is sushi would be fine if it was rolled in corn meal and deep-fried 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Have enjoyed your review so much--you have a great writing style.  You must be really patient to post because the wi-fi on the Equinox last week was abysmal!  The Captain announced the Covid counts on the last day of our cruise.  He also said that the crew would no longer be restricted in getting off the ship in port.  I tested positive on Monday after getting off the ship on Saturday.  So, it is definitely a good idea to test after returning home.  I LOL about your 140 pound soaking wet husband having to leave you behind.  Mine would have the same issue!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mosttoyswin said:

I am not a huge sushi fan. But the shrimp and scallop hot pot dynamite is one of the best things I've ever eaten.  Spicy but not overly so.  
PS the general consensus in our area is sushi would be fine if it was rolled in corn meal and deep-fried 😂

So in the area where we live the sushi restaurant actually serves 2 rolls where they’re dipped in batter and tempura fried and I’m not ashamed to admit I eat them both with great pleasure and pride in my lack of sophistication. 😂

• Haha 5

Scenes from Evening Chic Night on Equinox!

I love that even with the different demographic on this cruise, I was not even close to being in the minority of people dressed to the nines tonight.

Also just a shout out to Susan from Canada who is following this review. Please convince your super fun friend who is onboard with me to sail on the November 8th Beyond trip (and while we’re on the subject you come too 😁).

It’s still like 48 hours too early for goodbyes, but I’m really going  to miss this ship and all the friendly, beautiful people who work here and the new friends that I’ve made. 

If you’re following, haven’t started thinking about your return to cruising,  and you are in a position in terms of finances/government restrictions/work obligations/risk tolerance to do so, I hope this review inspires you to really start thinking about it.

Even with the relatively minor hiccups I’ve had so far, it really is a beautiful, wonderful, fun world out here at sea!

1301F4A2-7D93-4AA3-8C86-993E7B69AA3C.thumb.jpeg.f1f118eb02a459c748c1a46ca482d968.jpeg

F90C26DE-BD4D-4E59-B509-74B1B8D427ED.thumb.jpeg.af7cbb987c930d75df4bfbfaca0ee1dc.jpeg

540FAD52-997B-46DC-9D5F-4A8E8A5B92E9.thumb.jpeg.be1252959e1f426620e173776f08a0bb.jpeg

50E02B87-912F-453F-A3F8-24637E5E5283.thumb.jpeg.87631d3f78a35926a5f3cc1ea027c553.jpeg

D93BF3F6-0FA6-40F4-87EC-1DF6494DAC66.thumb.jpeg.8b860290016b73212e9c66492a1ecfc2.jpeg

82192414-A967-4F60-954B-7E724572A55A.thumb.jpeg.8fdf970b250f4a6fc924024a1390caf6.jpeg

6ED3E753-ADF1-4C5E-B112-382528819B88.thumb.jpeg.bba3c3968ba6ffc994b68d94a63bd773.jpeg

• Like 15

Hi! This is Susan from Canada. Are friends on board are super fun and are some of our favourite people! We met them on the Equinox in 2019 and have been lucky enough to sail with them a few more times. I’ve really enjoyed following your reviews and I’m glad you guys met. 

Beyond on Nov 8 unfortunately doesn’t work for us - we are on the Equinox back to back - Oct 24 and Nov 3! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Hi! This is Susan from Canada. Are friends on board are super fun and are some of our favourite people! We met them on the Equinox in 2019 and have been lucky enough to sail with them a few more times. I’ve really enjoyed following your reviews and I’m glad you guys met. 

Beyond on Nov 8 unfortunately doesn’t work for us - we are on the Equinox back to back - Oct 24 and Nov 3! 

Hi Susan,

I believe we have been on same cruises before (?) "AlbertaCruisers" rang a bell.

We are also on the Oct 24 Equinox sailing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Hi Susan! That sounds fabulous, enjoy your cruises!  I’m actually a little jealous of you. As much as I’m looking forward to trying a Bermuda sailing and experiencing Beyond, I’m kind of sad that I don’t have any more Equinox cruises in my lineup for the next year.  

• Like 1

Thank you for your live review!  Has been so much fun to follow along!  Loved your pics, dresses, and especially you and your beautiful smile in the pink gown!  Safe and good travels back to STL!

• Like 2

Really appreciate your review. Noticed your comment about being on the Summit 8 months ago and how different this cruise is. We were so spoiled on the Summit last year, cruises as low as 275 passengers to all of 700. We are sailing on the Equinox 7/10 and it sounds like we’re in for an adjustment. 

• Like 1

Good morning from our sail into Nassau and a very happy International Day of the Seafarer to the crew of the Equinox and the entire Celebrity fleet!

As Captain Matt proudly announced this morning, today Celebrity Infinity will set sail on her first post-shutdown cruise, meaning that the ENTIRE CELEBRITY FLEET IS OFFICIALLY BACK IN SERVICE!!! 👏🏾🙌🏾👏🏾🙌🏾🎉

We got to celebrate this incredibly happy occasion with Captain Matt and some of the crew on the pool deck this morning.

I want to say a huge thank you to the crew of the Equinox and the crew of all the Celebrity ships that I’ve had the privilege of sailing on over the 9 past years.  

When I think about it, Celebrity cruises have been a part of so many special moments in my life: The time my husband told me he was falling in love with me under a starry sky on Reflection, when he asked me to be his wife during a surprise photo shoot on Silhouette, when we eloped in Mexico on a Christmas cruise on Infinity and the first time our daughter told me, on a mommy-daughter skip back to our room after picking her up from Camp @ Sea on Millennium, that when she grows up, she hopes she can be just like me.   And a million more incredible travel experiences and memories made that I will never forget.

It’s all only possible thanks to these awesome crew members who work long hours for months and years on end just to give us all a vacation.

In much less happy news, when I got back to my room last night, I found disembarkation instructions for tomorrow waiting for me.

I’m planning to stay onboard today to get a massage and take advantage of one more day on the quiet ship before packing time, the ship’s Elysium production show, dinner at Tuscan Grille and lots of sad good byes and thank you envelope deliveries.

Coming soon: a back in time report on yesterday afternoon/evening.

E2D145EB-15C5-430B-AEAE-AF70611F0094.thumb.jpeg.c55a92959c3bc85fca03f7a2f260ffbf.jpeg

976B7FDA-0295-420E-9F53-050C7F0F9A58.thumb.jpeg.c1854564f44d89cd1269f11d65ef30d3.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

OK GenX,  It's time for you to march down to the Front desk and tell they you are staying aboard for the next cruise.    Only then can you let your husband know. 

I need another fix of GenX .   

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Good morning from our sail into Nassau and a very happy International Day of the Seafarer to the crew of the Equinox and the entire Celebrity fleet!

As Captain Matt proudly announced this morning, today Celebrity Infinity will set sail on her first post-shutdown cruise, meaning that the ENTIRE CELEBRITY FLEET IS OFFICIALLY BACK IN SERVICE!!! 👏🏾🙌🏾👏🏾🙌🏾🎉

We got to celebrate this incredibly happy occasion with Captain Matt and some of the crew on the pool deck this morning.

I want to say a huge thank you to the crew of the Equinox and the crew of all the Celebrity ships that I’ve had the privilege of sailing on over the 9 past years.  

When I think about it, Celebrity cruises have been a part of so many special moments in my life: The time my husband told me he was falling in love with me under a starry sky on Reflection, when he asked me to be his wife during a surprise photo shoot on Silhouette, when we eloped in Mexico on a Christmas cruise on Infinity and the first time our daughter told me, on a mommy-daughter skip back to our room after picking her up from Camp @ Sea on Millennium, that when she grows up, she hopes she can be just like me.   And a million more incredible travel experiences and memories made that I will never forget.

It’s all only possible thanks to these awesome crew members who work long hours for months and years on end just to give us all a vacation.

In much less happy news, when I got back to my room last night, I found disembarkation instructions for tomorrow waiting for me.

I’m planning to stay onboard today to get a massage and take advantage of one more day on the quiet ship before packing time, the ship’s Elysium production show, dinner at Tuscan Grille and lots of sad good byes and thank you envelope deliveries.

Coming soon: a back in time report on yesterday afternoon/evening.

E2D145EB-15C5-430B-AEAE-AF70611F0094.thumb.jpeg.c55a92959c3bc85fca03f7a2f260ffbf.jpeg

976B7FDA-0295-420E-9F53-050C7F0F9A58.thumb.jpeg.c1854564f44d89cd1269f11d65ef30d3.jpeg

We are heading out on Infinity next week. Reading your review has been great to help pass the time before we board!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK GenX,  It's time for you to march down to the Front desk and tell they you are staying aboard for the next cruise.    Only then can you let your husband know. 

I need another fix of GenX .   

I won’t lie, last night I DID price out a basic veranda on the next sailing, but with so many cruises already in my line up this year I think my financial and marital stability would be put at high risk!

On the bright side though, I actually got the email yesterday with the guest documents for my Bermuda cruise which is only 28 days away!  And we have some really good other live reviews starting up to hold us till then!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

GenerationX, what a gorgeous pink gown!
Now I am inspired to pack something more formal!

Gorgeous gown so perfect for cruising.  You must have a fabulous " cruise closet". Ours has dwindled .. we now have a huge snowbird closet..some overlaps but fewer dress up outfits.

Was nice to see the female officers....the ones on Edge were awesome. Girl Power! 

Glad  you enoyed your cruise!

• Thanks 1

GenX, I’ve been loving your live report!  You’ve convinced me that it’s time to get back cruising sooner rather than later. So, because of you and the fact that some cruises I’ve been looking at have no single supplement (thanks for the heads up from a poster on this board!), I just booked a B2B2B on the Equinox (28 days total) leaving on January 21st!

Can’t wait!

• Like 2

Hey GenX, thx for another great review!  I was looking forward to meeting you on the 1/30 Edge sailing but Covid reared it’s ugly head so I had to cancel.  I am also a solo woman sailor due to husband’s passing and have enjoyed every minute on my 5 Celebrity sailings since the restart last August.  You say it is your last Equinox sailing for the foreseeable.  I am on the 9/8 ABC 9 night sailing.  Maybe you could squeeze one more in????  Just sayin’😀

15 hours ago, GenerationX said:

1301F4A2-7D93-4AA3-8C86-993E7B69AA3C.thumb.jpeg.f1f118eb02a459c748c1a46ca482d968.jpeg

Stunning gown. One would never know you are one suitcase down from your regular allotment!

You and JamieLogical have caused me to rethink my cruise wardrobe and shift from denim capris with knit tops to sun dresses and flowing slacks with linen shirts.

Has been so much fun to follow along - eagerly awaiting the report from the Beyond in November! Kay

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Have enjoyed your review so much--you have a great writing style.  You must be really patient to post because the wi-fi on the Equinox last week was abysmal!  The Captain announced the Covid counts on the last day of our cruise.  He also said that the crew would no longer be restricted in getting off the ship in port.  I tested positive on Monday after getting off the ship on Saturday.  So, it is definitely a good idea to test after returning home.  I LOL about your 140 pound soaking wet husband having to leave you behind.  Mine would have the same issue!

Im so sorry to hear that! I hope your case was mild and that you’re feeling better soon.

Last night Captain Matt announced that we’ve had 3 passenger positive cases and I heard we’re at about 2480 passengers, so that’s still a pretty low percentage. I assume that doesn’t include the numbers for people testing for B2B or crew testing though, both of which just happened today.

This morning I did see some security officers looking hard around the pool deck with a paper in their hand and there was a whole ship page this morning for a specific passenger asking them to go to a phone and dial 0 immediately.  I’m wondering if another case was identified somehow.  

I plan to test tomorrow morning before I go to the airport and again late next week just to be sure. Thus far I’m feeling great (other than bloated from my food and alcohol intake this week) not even a sniffle, so I’m hoping it stays that way!

• Like 6

Sigh, so far it’s been a nice, if bittersweet, last day of cruise. It looks like it was a pretty busy day in Nassau with 3 ships in port.

After my buffet breakfast (the most crowded one I’ve seen this cruise) I went for my aromatherapy hot stone massage with Evangeline. She once again did a great job and worked out my soreness from dancing into the wee hours last night.    Before I left, she gave me the names of a couple of her friends working in the spa on Summit who she could recommend for my spa services in Bermuda next month.

I got to the spa a little early so I’d have time to use the sauna and showers and have a cup of tea in the relaxation lounge watching us come into Nassau. It really is a cool view from there overlooking the helipad.

While I was sipping my tea and watching sail in, a crew member was going around the room on her hands and knees cleaning and polishing every speck of chrome in the  pillars, doors, etc. They are SERIOUS about keeping this ship up.

I didn’t have a reservation but thought I’d take a chance with the quiet port day ship to get in lunch at sushi on 5.  I was successful!  The restaurant really must have a following on this ship as Captain Matt and his lovely wife were enjoying lunch there as well with a couple of other passengers.

After lunch I hit the pool deck for some rum punch, swimming live music from Radio Duo and yacht watching.  

After all aboard I’ll head up to sunset bar for one last sail away with Adrian and Ricky then dress for dinner and a show.  

I know I still owe a catch up post on the rest of formal night and I promise I’ll get to it soon!

7B6496B4-C341-4CD1-BD6A-D883541A23BC.thumb.jpeg.cdf9ae84112b865a3ae9342e1e9147e3.jpeg

03C94A63-9F88-4631-8F94-FFF3ABFE0C74.thumb.jpeg.7e15ab056ff20d8e08562d8feb537d5e.jpeg

448A2C62-C454-4009-A941-B3EA88E8F5C0.thumb.jpeg.63ff88f312c116a728f01973a9b6191c.jpeg

E6DF905D-E633-4958-BAA1-E1F27F43C5F7.thumb.jpeg.10fd3d9183f80e1eac4e9f9165be2a55.jpeg

14552A5F-C57D-4FE4-BD00-75151F831F73.thumb.jpeg.173ee7c08a2a3fe641543209ff18b7eb.jpeg

ED046403-998E-44A6-9F8F-67B13A210E12.thumb.jpeg.85214f9c3a7fcc6183ea0ecad42d68dd.jpeg

3884FED4-1410-4D2A-B0CE-FFF727A632ED.thumb.png.af195fdc53d3ccf12ca6aac43d42e48e.png

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 10:04 AM, go.without.you said:

I would LOVE to join the Single Ladies on the Beyond cruise - Nov 8th is my Bday! But...I'm doing Reflection for Thanksgiving week and I only get so much PTO (and $).

I received a crap-ton of OBC on my booking so I booked Murano and Tuscan. Haven't done them in years so looking forward to it. My last 6 cruises have been in either Aqua or a Suite so I never felt the need to do the special ones.

So GenX, what are the best options at these 2 (excluding the $20 steak).

Enjoy your cruise! So in Tuscan I think the ribeye is also an excellent steak and with no additional upcharge.

For other starters that are good I also like the meatballs and am not ashamed to admit that I once consumed the charcuterie plate meant for 2-4 guests all by myself as a starter course.

On the pasta side I like the short rib pappardelle and the gnocchi as well as the spaghetti and meatballs. If you want to do both steak and pasta, they can do all the pastas as a side order portion size.

In Murano it doesn’t get much better than that Murano lobster for me and the tableside preparation is a show itself. For the starter, the risotto, lobster bisque and pork belly are my favorites!

• Thanks 1

I should be going down to do some packing and dress for dinner.  But instead I’m sitting in the rough off Hole 4 listening to live acoustic guitar and  sulking while Adrian and Ricky take turns refilling my Chandon.  

On our sail out of Nassau, as I was looking down at the wake I saw a fever of huge stingrays in the water at starboard.

I’m really not ready to end this one, guys.  I guess I’m really never ready for them to end.  It’s so unfair.

EBFEF9BB-46D1-409A-A9EB-E299CFEC3861.thumb.jpeg.07a1ecdfd8df8c7576c2fb975795b69e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If it helps in any way, I'm not ready for you to finish this one either! 

It's the cold depths of winter here, horses are in the paddock as the days are too short to do anything with them around work. My next cruise is still nearly two months away and there is lots of discussion about if it will happen and where it will go (should be Fiji and New Caledonia but New Caledonia has yet to ok the return of cruise ships)

Reading about your great experiences is keeping me happy and I don't want it to end!

• Like 4

Thank you so much for taking time out of your vacation to share your trip with us. It has been so entertaining (as always). Getting my “Gen X” fixes throughout the last week has made it so much more enjoyable. If it weren’t for the fact that you have a cruise planned for August, I might have to start a go fund me to keep you on the ship! Safe travels 🚢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1