Same Ship Different Season: An Equinox LIVE Solo Review (6/18/22)

GenerationX

On 6/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, GenerationX said:

Ok so just a thought on the dress front. If it turns out it’s just a logistics not a size issue, I take a zipper helper with me on my solo trips for just such occasions!  I can’t find the exact one I have (I got it in a small formal dress shop years ago) but this one looks like it has good Amazon reviews and comes with a cute carrying bag!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NB594BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_D2A18Z4W24W166CGSND0_0

Charla

Long time no posts. I hope it's just that you're busy catching up on work and laundry and that everything is fine!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, GenerationX said:

This was my first time trying the risotto at Murano and I’m kinda mad now that I’ve been sleeping on this dish.  Did you guys know that garlic foam was a thing?  First project when I get home is to get on YouTube and learn how to make this stuff.  Totally gonna host a garlic foam (dinner) party!

The pear in phyllo I wasn’t a huge fan of.  The flavor profile just seemed weird.  I’m glad I tried something new, but won’t be ordering that one again. After a few bites I called it quits on it to save prime real estate for venison and chocolate cake.

at this point  I think I have tried all of the Murano starters.  (this is our favorite Specialty Dining)

The Mushroom Risotto is my favorite, followed by the Mushroom Cappuccino, and the Goat Cheese Soufflé (a recent addition thanks to another review on cruisecritic). my husband loves the Pear in Phylo, but me - not so much.  I love Blue Cheese,  but not warm or hot, so that is the issue I think for me.

our last dinner in Murano I had the Veal Tenderloin, and it was to die for!

• Like 1

Hi Charla!  It was great meeting up with you at sail away!  It's been hectic getting back into the grind since our return on Sunday, and dealing with various family members coming and going home, but I am finally caught up on your report. I love the sail away picture, and being a part of one of your trip reports makes me feel like a "Celebrity"!  😄 Thank you so much for all the work you do to make your cruises come alive for those not sailing, and for those lucky enough to be on the same cruise with you, who get to relive it all over again!  

Cruise hack tip from my niece, who is a huge waffle fan, but lamented the lack of chocolate chips on board:  she collected the pillow chocolates each night, and cut them up for her waffles the next morning.  Instant chocolate "chips"!!!  She preferred those to the chocolate sprinkles they have.

I'm looking forward to following along on your Summit Bermuda trip coming up.  Fun fact: my brother was married on Royal's Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda out of Bayonne, NJ 16 years ago.  25 friends and family decided to take the cruise.  THAT was definitely a different cruising experience!!!  

Hope you are getting quality time with Gen Z and hubby.

Laura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, after a week settling back into the real world on land (which I give 3 out of 10, do not recommend BTW), I am finally back to finish my review!

Let’s see, based on my notes I think the posts I still had left to do were a report on second evening chic night and final thoughts on my cruise.

So how about we start with evening chic?  As I think I mentioned, after I dressed, I started the evening with the Concierge Class senior officers party in the sky lounge.  The bar was fully open (those without beverage package had to purchase bar drinks) and servers were passing out complimentary sparkling wine.  

It was during this event that I rememnerd that I usually get an invite to a similarly formatted captain’s club party early in the cruise but didn’t this time.  Then I realized that usually on embarkation day there’s a paper on my bed listing all the dates and times for all the Captain’s Club events for my loyalty level (welcome party, wine tasting, etc.), but I don’t think I got one this time.  I assume those events were still held and I just didn’t get the memo, but if anyone onboard knows differently please chime in.

After the party, I won’t to Ensemble Lounge to listen to the strings duo while Konamg and Abdul kept me well in cosmopolitans and Evian.  Then I met some new friends made onboard at the martini bar for pre dinner drinks and the presentation of all the ship’s officers.  

After that, it was time for my last dose of Murano until the end of the year.  I am happy to report that I went out with a bang. The heavy Murano menu exploration this cruise totally paid off because I believe I have stumbled upon my perfect Murano meal.

I started with my longtime favorite lobster bisque and new favorite risotto.  Then, for my entree I told Michael that I was torn between having one more Murano lobster and trying the chataubriand for two (which he told me he could try and ask the chef to make for one).  Michael then told me he’d check with the back but he thought since I’d been such a good customer over the cruise, I needn’t worry about deciding and he’d make me a Murano surf & turf of BOTH a smaller helping of lobster and the chateaubriand.  While he was checking I indulged in buying one more excellent bottle of wine that the sommelier recommended that was within my desired price point (a little under actually, saving money is always appreciated) and would pair well with both seafood and medium rare beef.

You know what heaven is?  Sitting in a comfy chair in a beautiful room, decked out in an evening dress, sipping a nice cotes du Rhône and watching not one, but TWO well-dressed men prepare your filet and lobster tableside.  I’m not exaggerating when I say I almost cried with happiness.  I did tear up a little when I actually got to eat it.  It really was a best life moment.

For dessert I decided to let the show continue and Michael prepared one last crepe ballon rouge for me.  I was tempted to go with my Gran Marnier soufflé, but it was feeling like it would be a little too rich for me after all the other food and I was craving that fresh strawberries taste.

The service I received in Murano over the course of the cruise was impeccable and somehow managed to get even better with each visit.  These guys really were an A-team.  The staff in Blu on Summit is going to have some big shoes to fill on my sail to Bermuda in a few weeks. But wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.

After dinner I went to the martini bar for an espresso martini pick me up then headed to the second silent disco party. This one was even more packed than the one in the martini bar earlier in the cruise.  They were running out of headphones and there was a line to get a pair as people were turning them in.  This time it was 3 dueling DJ’s on the different channels, including our cruise director Simon.  

I’m pretty sure that all over the world at this very moment there are dry cleaners gnashing their teeth at the work of getting all the sweat out of the suits, tuxes and evening dresses worn at that party.  I know mine shook her head and tisked at me when I dropped my gown off yesterday, anyway.

Pics of food and partying below.  Soon to come: a final wrap up post and update on upcoming cruise plans, then I’ll go back through the review and try to answer any questions that I missed.

258BA0A4-411B-4513-AD66-CDF097C6ECA0.thumb.jpeg.b117604b232294d765e9c5903264405b.jpeg

918F14B4-96CA-4512-B44D-F8FB3F879DDC.thumb.jpeg.2f807bd9e1dfa31c3c3abb3a54501183.jpeg

CC20A45E-FAE2-4241-B900-5D1D2445473A.thumb.jpeg.cc2eae44febc64e7b96f32fc7823cf97.jpeg

1F9B7662-A47D-4F99-B155-4B58D76EED17.thumb.jpeg.505e10afc5418a56c027d54d847c5c8e.jpeg

D1AF0E26-2EF7-4453-8574-D8171A3517D3.thumb.jpeg.35fd8e61392947e1eb2a78d91a442733.jpeg

C88AE656-1006-4A5F-84DD-2C192160B2F4.thumb.jpeg.9c7fec5fb1eb9c7c93cdfaaa670a7196.jpeg

E36EA30B-7DF3-4A47-8E11-E72C5812C3CF.thumb.jpeg.ea70b9ab01806b3743153f177fc9f1a7.jpeg

40632D56-CBE8-474D-8FCF-389F89F6D65C.thumb.jpeg.c5259473cf9de56a1835cbbba7dad21c.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Some final thoughts on my last fully solo cruise of the year:

Overall, I had an absolutely wonderful week on the Equinox!

While it’ll be nice to see her finally get the rest of her refurb, the ship overall seems to be in very good condition and the place is spotless.  It seemed like wherever you went there was always someone vacuuming, mopping or scrubbing something.  

If you’re really hardcore about needing to have the full modern, updated ship atmosphere, I would say maybe wait on Equinox and sail E-class or one of the fully refurbished S or M class ships.  

But for me personally what Equinox lacked in modern carpets, stateroom design, etc. she more than made up for in the service from the crew and quality of the live music entertainment.

Honestly the biggest negatives I experienced were things Celebrity has little control over. The behavior of my fellow passengers was less than stellar at times (something which it sounds like comes with the time of year, and I think also may be due in part to the deal/price point offered for this sailing…sadly I think there are folks out there that don’t respect things as much when they aren’t paying top dollar for them) and the wifi plain awful for a few days. But I think it’s a statement to the other elements of the onboard experience that neither of those ruined the cruise for me.

Plus while there were a few bad apples, I met so many wonderful people and shared so many laughs with them over the week!

While there were a (very few) food misses, i definitely had plenty of wonderful meals and my poor personal trainer has had his work cut out getting me back into my cruise day 1-4 wardrobe dress sizes in time for Bermuda in 21 days…which brings me to what’s next for me on cruise life!

So yes, next up, on July 23rd, hubby and I will be going wheels up for NYC to sail out the next day to celebrate my big FORTIETH birthday onboard the Summit headed to Bermuda!  

This will be my first time really visiting New York City (when I’m not just going back and forth from a hotel to a law office or courtroom the whole time) and I’m so excited.  My husband has already put a freeze on most of our credit cards in anticipation of my 24 hour stay in fashion central (with “well I deserve a birthday gift” as spending rationale).  As I was taking off from LGA for the second leg of my flight home from Equinox I looked down on the city and Central Park and smiled and thought “see ya in 3 weeks!”

After Bermuda, I’ll have a 3 month break from cruising (I don’t want to think about how long those months will feel), then will sail with my girlfriend Red in separate solo cabins on Beyond on November 8th.

After that, it will be about 6 weeks until GenZ makes her glorious (suite, of course, she’d tolerate no less) return to cruising as we set sail to celebrate a mommy-daughter New Years Eve on my favorite Celebrity ship, the Silhouette!

As always I want to say a huge thanks to everyone who read along and especially to everyone who’s taking the time to live review their cruises as well!  When I’m between sailings, reading others reviews and looking at their pics really keeps me going. I hope I’ve been able to pay it forward in some small way.

To everyone sailing in the next few weeks, bon voyage!  I’m super excited to meet some of you in person on Summit in a few weeks and on Beyond in November! 

113323E9-DE7E-4CC9-A80D-C498DA79BF5B.thumb.jpeg.7afd26360db9f26dd17d572da2a914eb.jpeg

C8DC90F4-49CD-4366-8F46-6D27114450A1.thumb.jpeg.c831ddb6cbf9b9e19c08f9163a42dab3.jpeg

239D20C8-1BE3-455C-867B-0C522154E23B.thumb.jpeg.fb4263508bc36901a703a05842361242.jpeg

EC296AF3-5FF4-4D00-9C24-F875C2745080.thumb.jpeg.f2fd4d4388310e471e63df92f59e533e.jpeg

7D4339E8-6E11-4684-8253-0B6F28E25B5B.thumb.jpeg.bedeaff17034d40d5462f4f53959679c.jpeg

• Like 15

Charla, it was great to very briefly meet you on embarkation day at the Sunset Bar!  I've loved reliving the cruise through your pictures.  I recognize so many of the wonderful servers (LOVED that picture of Kay, he knew my room number and order after the first day, LOL).  I loved the cruise so much I just booked for next April on the Solstice.  Blessings to you as you plan for your future cruises!  

Thank you so very much for your most informative and entertaining review!  After being away from X for a while, we had most recently sailed on Edge and Apex and wondered if we would be disappointed going back to an older ship.

Your positive review helped me make up my mind to book Equinox for a 9-day in January.  A new ship and new island (Curaçao) for us.  Hooray!

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 5:16 PM, Redking said:

Interesting to hear how busy Sushi on 5 is. We've been late to the party on this venue and loved the fact that it was never busy on our last cruise  - Solstice Tahitian Treasures. Maybe it's because there's a lot of OBC going around or maybe live reviewers like @GenerationXare doing too good a job🤔😉 need to keep some things secret 🤫🤭

Ah you may have a point there!  Everyone, I retract my previous statements. The food in Sushi on 5 is complete rubbish. It’s even worse if you’re sitting in the window seats.  Keep clear at all costs! 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

@GenerationX I finally finished your review!  I had to pause for a trip to Colorado 🙂  I really love all of your menu item tips, I've made note of them for future cruises.  One thing I didn't see is where did you get your fabulous pink evening chic dress?  Love it!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBliving said:

@GenerationX I finally finished your review!  I had to pause for a trip to Colorado 🙂  I really love all of your menu item tips, I've made note of them for future cruises.  One thing I didn't see is where did you get your fabulous pink evening chic dress?  Love it!!

Thank you! I hope you had fun in Colorado!

Believe it or not that gown was an Amazon find. It comes in lots of colors and a love a dress that looks far more expensive than it is.  Just let me know if the link doesn’t work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LVGGKPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_673304DW6SG4P3G4BW9R_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On 6/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, chamima said:

What is Dream Cruises and where can I find it?

LOVE to watch anything about cruising!!!

And by all means do the Helipad sailaway.

(You don't really need closed toed shoes (Sh-h-h , don't tell anyone.)

It's a lot of fun and you can nap when you get home!

So sorry I missed this question! So Dream Cruises is my favorite show ever!

Each hour episode they take you on a cruise on a different ship/itinerary and highlight the staterooms, shows, dining and shore excursions offered.  A lot of of the ships they feature are MSC, AmaWaterways, RC, Silversea, Carnival and Windstar.

I used to watch it nonstop on the Awe channel on DirectTV. But then DirectTV dropped the channel a few months ago 😭😭😭

It’s been on my list of things to do to find a new way to watch it.  If anyone knows where we can still see Dream Cruises, please let me know!  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, gschwartz001 said:

We are sailing this same itinerary soon and I was curious which day is lobster night/evening chic night? The app was showing it as day 7 until yesterday when it appears they moved all the menus around and now it shows as day three. Thanks for great live review! I can’t wait to board.  

So sorry for missing your question!  You may have already sailed (and if so I hope you had a great cruise!), but just in case:  our formal nights were night 2 (first sea day) and night 7 (last sea day).  Interestingly, the first chic night never showed up in the app. It was only announced in the printed daily.

10 minutes ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Charla, On the Equinox now. Showed Keumong and Kay the pictures you posted and told then they were "famous." They really got a kick out of it.

Awww! I’m very jealous of you!

Please tell them both that I say hello and that I miss them both!  

Oh what I would give to wrap up my day today with a Kay cosmo happy hour.

• Like 1