Same Ship Different Season: An Equinox LIVE Solo Review (6/18/22)

GenerationX

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Here I am, late to the party since you started while I was sailing.   I see your thread already 7 pages in and I haven't even started!  At least I know  I'll have something good to read for awhile.  😀 🥂

Welcome to the party!!! Where/what ship were you sailing? How was it?  I’m not sure the Emily Post on this but I feel like it’s not thread hijacking if the OP asks you for the dish. 🤷🏽‍♀️😂

• Like 3

Good evening from a starry night on my veranda as we sail towards St. Maarten.  While I’m sitting here in my comfy cotton yoga pants polishing off the last glass of my Super Tuscan from last night, a report on my St. Thomas excursion:

I booked the St. John half day champagne catamaran sail and snorkel.  The tour started with about a 20 minute ride to the marina in an open air bus.  We were split between two busses and catamarans and I don’t think I saw anyone on mine wearing masks.  We’d been told by Celebrity to bring our vaccination cards with us, but no one ever asked for or checked them. 

Fair warning, that bus ride to the marina is pretty hilly and over some steep and curvy roads. If you get car sick easily, maybe take some Dramamine or something in advance. Also, when your driver tells you to secure your hat and other loose articles well, take him seriously! One girl seated at the end nearly lost her sunglasses around a fast turn.

Once we boarded the catamaran we had about an hour sail out to St. John island and the catamaran moored right off honeymoon beach where we could snorkel the reef or they had a small zodiac to take passengers who wanted to over to the beach to relax and swim.  I snorkeled for about a half hour but quickly realized it was nowhere near as good as the snorkeling in the ABC islands. Not a lot of colorful reef and not nearly as many fish. But I did end up having one of the coolest ocean experiences of my life . At one point I looked down in the water there he was…a HUGE and GORGEOUS sea turtle!  His shell must’ve been at least 3 feet (about a meter for the non-Americans following) across! 

When we got back on the catamaran, the crew had rum punch and some bubbly free flowing.  Low end sparkling wine and direct Caribbean sun sounded like a recipe for a killer headache, so I stuck with the rum punch which was actually pretty good for a mass mixed all inclusive concoction.  

Once we were underway, the crew put out a small cold buffet of crackers and basic meats, cheeses and fruit for us to snack on.  By no means a proper lunch, but enough to keep the rum punches from knocking me on my aft.

The crew of the boat were all American expats (do we still use the term expat when the island is technically a US territory?) and very friendly and fun to sail with.

The trip out to and back from St. John really is a beautiful sail and I was very happy with what I got for the price I paid.  

Any questions please feel free to ask!

61FD8D2B-0F13-466F-8DEA-D19A87A89AE3.thumb.jpeg.702907627763d6fee7bdac0fda01453c.jpeg

A6AAA998-9AB7-4942-948A-9CBE3147700D.thumb.jpeg.10bac0538e3d0152efda83e4829efb5d.jpeg

545C44B5-D75F-413F-872B-E84378FD0BFD.thumb.jpeg.aac9053337fd49b073b8c5a51d7d89c6.jpeg

E7E7072C-A353-403A-835D-56207D819A70.thumb.jpeg.cf5a95a267c524d8556de8b7b54b8de3.jpeg

0E652B3D-8B29-4A26-AB2C-534484EAC4BC.thumb.jpeg.c6df215e48c825dfb078d8eac1597477.jpeg

• Like 10

On 6/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, GenerationX said:

Thank you!  Which Beyond sailing are you  guys doing in November?  My friend Red and I are sailing on Beyond on Nov 8th!

On 6/15/2022 at 9:49 AM, GenerationX said:

Thank you!  Which Beyond sailing are you  guys doing in November?  My friend Red and I are sailing on Beyond on Nov 8th!

Shucks we get own as you are getting off.

We are on the Edge the 13th of February 

It’s another perfect morning at sea. I hope I don’t jinx it by saying so but I could not have asked for better weather this cruise.

We arrive in St. Maarten at 8am and I have to be assembled for my tour at 8:30 so I ordered a light room service breakfast to be delivered 7-7:30.  This is my second room service breakfast order this cruise and it’s one of the few places where I’m really feeling the downgrade from the suite life. And not just because there’s no Retreat host (butler) setting it up on my veranda for me.  

A couple of thoughts:

1) Bread for toast has been a little dry and stale.  If you want to start your day with baked goods, the room service croissants, English muffin and bagels have been much better (I write in a request to have my bagel/muffin toasted on the order hang tag).

2) Both times now the dairy product with my order (last time a carton of milk and this time yogurt), it is room temp or warmer by the time it gets to me. Not sure if they’re being put on trays next to hot food much too soon or they’re being stored in a fridge like the one in my room (which also doesn’t get especially cool).  Either way I passed on partaking.  No sense in taking all the steps to avoid Noro then end up giving myself food poisoning from my yogurt.  After I get dressed for the day I’ll go grab some properly chilled from oceanview instead. Also maybe a mimosa while I’m there. Cuz vacation.

I’ve noticed that yesterday and today, my premium wifi is extremely slow (if it works at all) early in the morning. This is somewhat frustrating because I’d much rather get up early and knock out any work projects I need to take care of before I start my day of fun than have to deal with it in the afternoon, but oh well. Such is the price I pay for still having a day job but also scheduling 6 cruises this year.

Still to come later today, a report on yesterday evening.  For now it’s time to start my St. Maarten day!

A4F567C0-6917-48DD-A0DB-3FEA255E740A.thumb.jpeg.c4bfa3b8ab13efa9309bf7dfb372ff1d.jpeg

D82DA29B-DB33-4F02-82A5-36670CE6BD0A.thumb.jpeg.8653f3e968603fb03a08de945fab726d.jpeg

7884BEFF-4586-4083-8E0D-B024E2772EF3.thumb.jpeg.679b23ad26ef8b6fdb795faf0a4d458f.jpeg

5697DA80-736D-4B82-BC58-FAB2F7D52A57.thumb.jpeg.a9bbd8eb70e2c6d1342d785af97d17e7.jpeg

• Like 15

Really enjoying your review, especially since we'll be boarding the Equinox on July 2nd with the same itinerary. Couple of questions about your catamaran cruise. Did your boat have the stairs that you could walk right down into the water?  Several years ago,  I did that excursion and bought a  "Skeleton Crew"  t-shirt. Is that the boat you were on? That crew was so much fun! Last question is about the ride back. We once did a catamaran excursion where they played music so loud that it was unbearable. We love a good tune but my husband has tinnitus so is sensitive to loud sounds. Hoping that wasn't the case. (I didn't think so.) Thanks so much! Curious to see what you did in St. Martin today. Enjoy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Welcome to the party!!! Where/what ship were you sailing? How was it?  I’m not sure the Emily Post on this but I feel like it’s not thread hijacking if the OP asks you for the dish. 🤷🏽‍♀️😂

Since you asked I will definitely dish; especially since you helped inspire me to go solo.

I was on Silversea and it was fabulous!  The brand new Silver Dawn, just debuted 2 months ago and she's beautiful.  I was thoroughly spoiled as we sailed in Italy and Croatia.  The food and wine were terrific; for a small ship (max 600 passengers) there are a lot of eating venues.  Silversea has included tours which I really appreciated for my first solo cruise; I could geek out on history and food/wine tours with like minded folks.  People are really friendly but I certainly did enjoy some alone time on the balcony just listening to the waves.  I am pretty sure I was channeling you when I was salsa dancing alone one night 💃💃  (Ok there were 3 other people on the dance floor -- it's not a party ship, but there is fun to be had.)

Zadar, Croatia

IMG_3527 (1).jpeg

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can also have your free bottle of wine in your room to your dining room or if dining in a specialty you can have it either sent from your dining room to specialty or from Specialty to your dining room. 

That I've done many times!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Since you asked I will definitely dish; especially since you helped inspire me to go solo.

I was on Silversea and it was fabulous!  The brand new Silver Dawn, just debuted 2 months ago and she's beautiful.  I was thoroughly spoiled as we sailed in Italy and Croatia.  The food and wine were terrific; for a small ship (max 600 passengers) there are a lot of eating venues.  Silversea has included tours which I really appreciated for my first solo cruise; I could geek out on history and food/wine tours with like minded folks.  People are really friendly but I certainly did enjoy some alone time on the balcony just listening to the waves.  I am pretty sure I was channeling you when I was salsa dancing alone one night 💃💃  (Ok there were 3 other people on the dance floor -- it's not a party ship, but there is fun to be had.)

Zadar, Croatia

IMG_3527 (1).jpeg

Wow that sounds amazing! Congrats on such a big solo adventure!  I’m so glad I asked. I’ve always been interested in trying Silversea.  Their ships and food look so nice on Dream Cruises episodes and they sometimes have a solo fare pop up that’s not much more than suite class on celebrity.  I’ve been hesitant though because I met a woman years ago who told me that she sailed Silversea solo and most of her fellow passengers weren’t very friendly and in a couple of cases were even outright hostile to her as a woman traveling alone.  Sounds like you had a very different experience! If there’s a review of your cruise posted somewhere that I can lurk, please let me know!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Yes, she is.  Lucky US, eh?

I am ashamed to admit that I am extremely tardy in joining the roll call for our cruise.  I think we need to plan a little cocktail party meet up!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Really enjoying your review, especially since we'll be boarding the Equinox on July 2nd with the same itinerary. Couple of questions about your catamaran cruise. Did your boat have the stairs that you could walk right down into the water?  Several years ago,  I did that excursion and bought a  "Skeleton Crew"  t-shirt. Is that the boat you were on? That crew was so much fun! Last question is about the ride back. We once did a catamaran excursion where they played music so loud that it was unbearable. We love a good tune but my husband has tinnitus so is sensitive to loud sounds. Hoping that wasn't the case. (I didn't think so.) Thanks so much! Curious to see what you did in St. Martin today. Enjoy!

Enjoy your cruise!  Yes the catamaran had the stairs right to the water and the crew had skeleton shirts on. They were great! Entertaining without getting to the point of corny and annoying.  They did play music on the way back but I didn’t think it was too loud. I was having conversations with everyone during the sail and it wasn’t loud enough that you had to shout or strain to hear each other. It was more like background volume.

I’m working on writing up St. Maarten while I sip my Miami Vice so I promise it’ll be posted soon!

• Like 2

Quick Real Time Update:

I got back from my excursion a little bit a ago and decided to go to oceanview for just a slice of pizza for a light afternoon snack.  Mission failed.  

I’m punishing myself for my lack of restraint with a Miami Vice by the pool.

There’s a helipad sailaway today for concierge class (info posted below for anyone interested), but I think I may skip it in favor of a shower, catching up on work and a short nap.  I have night 3 of Murano dinner and a Motown party tonight that I need my energy for.

Report on St. Maarten coming soon!

8DBE9327-0CD5-43F7-87ED-F9979B993B86.thumb.jpeg.550b9c0f958d6a4c39a4c92d407ef995.jpeg

8E3A90A6-82FD-48BE-BB8C-68835E2EE573.thumb.jpeg.d5fc88943c9dab48cf4a4e9724f981ca.jpeg

27B41DCB-0244-423D-98F2-968F358EB023.thumb.jpeg.41f347f56ecd01b6333af88b4f8d45f0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, GenerationX said:

.  .............text edited

The trip out to and back from St. John really is a beautiful sail and I was very happy with what I got for the price I pa

Any questions please feel free to ask!

61FD8D2B-0F13-466F-8DEA-D19A87A89AE3.thumb.jpeg.702907627763d6fee7bdac0fda01453c.jpeg

A6AAA998-9AB7-4942-948A-9CBE3147700D.thumb.jpeg.10bac0538e3d0152efda83e4829efb5d.jpeg

545C44B5-D75F-413F-872B-E84378FD0BFD.thumb.jpeg.aac9053337fd49b073b8c5a51d7d89c6.jpeg

E7E7072C-A353-403A-835D-56207D819A70.thumb.jpeg.cf5a95a267c524d8556de8b7b54b8de3.jpeg

0E652B3D-8B29-4A26-AB2C-534484EAC4BC.thumb.jpeg.c6df215e48c825dfb078d8eac1597477.jpeg

This photo would make a great  print or online ad.

I know it's not your line of work,  but with this genuine smile and your great  cruise wardrobe  have you ever  considered doing a portfolio for some modelling... what do yiu think??

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Enjoy your cruise!  Yes the catamaran had the stairs right to the water and the crew had skeleton shirts on. They were great! Entertaining without getting to the point of corny and annoying.  They did play music on the way back but I didn’t think it was too loud. I was having conversations with everyone during the sail and it wasn’t loud enough that you had to shout or strain to hear each other. It was more like background volume.

I’m working on writing up St. Maarten while I sip my Miami Vice so I promise it’ll be posted soon!

Thanks much! I agree it's not the best snorkeling but just a really pleasant day. I'll definitely take my t-shirt. Prepandemic there was a great food tour offered in St. Martin. We had done it a couple times. I don't think they offer it anymore. 

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Wow that sounds amazing! Congrats on such a big solo adventure!  I’m so glad I asked. I’ve always been interested in trying Silversea.  Their ships and food look so nice on Dream Cruises episodes and they sometimes have a solo fare pop up that’s not much more than suite class on celebrity.  I’ve been hesitant though because I met a woman years ago who told me that she sailed Silversea solo and most of her fellow passengers weren’t very friendly and in a couple of cases were even outright hostile to her as a woman traveling alone.  Sounds like you had a very different experience! If there’s a review of your cruise posted somewhere that I can lurk, please let me know!

What is Dream Cruises and where can I find it?

LOVE to watch anything about cruising!!!

And by all means do the Helipad sailaway.

(You don't really need closed toed shoes (Sh-h-h , don't tell anyone.)

It's a lot of fun and you can nap when you get home!

Another report (and ok maybe slight rant) from the Equinox:

For the first couple of days of the cruise I noticed that there was a big demographic shift on this sailing. If you’ve read my other reviews, you know that I’m 100% pro more younger people and families with kids giving Celebrity a try (and per my last review LOVED sailing Celebrity with my own child).

That being said there are things I’ve seen and heard the past couple of days that made me briefly wonder if I was on the same cruise line.  

For example, this afternoon at the packed pool there was a group of about 5 or 6 kids in what looked to be the 6-10 years old age range, running all around the pools in that ankle depth shallow rim water, doing completely unsafe things like trying to drag/push each other in and jumping off ledges into the deep pool.  I kept holding my breath fearing that one of them would slip and fall and hit their head or break an arm.  They were also splashing people around them without a care in the world. 

Not to judge anyone else’s parenting, but I’m the type of mom where my eyes do not come off GenZ when she’s in or near the water, no matter how good a swimmer she is. Despite what we see in movies, drownings, especially for kids, are usually quiet and regularly happen quickly even with lots of people around while it happens.  My rule for GenZ is:  young lady you get one warning when I see you do something unsafe or disrespectful and if I have to talk to you again, you’re done in the water for the day.  

I saw a parent amble by once or twice and tell one or 2 of these kids to stay in the shallow pool (seemed like they were playing together but from a few different family groups), but then 1 or 2 would quickly get back at it and the rest would follow suit.  Finally another passenger braver than me, who it didn’t look like she even knew any of the kids, came up and told them firmly that they needed to stay in the shallow pool (where there behavior was still unsafe/concerning, but maybe less of a drowning risk and/or disruptive).  Which they did, but again only for a few minutes.  

I just couldn’t believe that no one was watching those children closer and reigning in their behavior. Or worse, that they WERE being watched and multiple parents thought what was going on was OK!

The even crazier part was that I was standing behind the rail seating at the pool bar waiting for a drink at the time and overheard the young woman of a couple sitting at the rail (whose man I’m pretty sure was the same charming gent I heard on the elevator the first day groaning about “who the [expletive] puts a library on a cruise ship?!” 🙄) was talking about how ridiculous it was for someone to have told the kids to calm it down!

Before that, while I was floating around the deep pool, there was a group of guys tossing a full regulation leather football to each other around the edges of the pool.  Needless to say they weren’t 100% precise in their tosses/catches so the ball often hit the water rather than the hands of the eligible receiver, splashing people around them, including me, in the face.  They didn’t seem to notice or care enough to apologize.  Or think that maybe a beach ball would be better for that activity so no ones nose got broken in the event of a wild throw.  

I wish I could say this group was young kids who didn’t know better but the ring leader appeared to be a guy at least in his 30’s who at one point was talking about his alma mater university in the US South. I won’t call out said university by name out of respect for the institution and several fine people I know who attended it. But let’s just say from his passing game I really hope he wasn’t the QB for the football team during his time there and doesn’t seem like he picked up any lessons on southern gentleman’s manners.

I did see a pool officer walking around both of these scenes several times and at one point tell one of the kids to stop jumping in the pool (which the kid quickly resumed after he left) and tell one of the football guys the same after he jumped in too and water logged the poor man treading water next to where he landed (which he did comply with, but only after complaining “dude this is ridiculous I saw someone get away with doing a belly flop yesterday!” 🙄)

Then there was the group at Sunset Bar just now while I was trying to finish my write up of my St. Maarten review playing rap music on speakerphone on their phones and recording twerking videos of themselves for social media.  

Don’t get me wrong I’m no wet blanket and I’m all for a rowdy party. You should see how I throw down at a Mexican all-inclusive resort pool DJ/foam party (well back when I had the body for that kind of thing) and as regular readers know I’m not above doing some twerking…in the sky lounge…after midnight.  It just seems like these folks missed the memo on time and place for everything.

I also understand that not all kids are as chill as GenZ and may need a more active water play environment to enjoy themselves (and for those families there are plenty of cruise lines that offer kids pools, water parks, etc. to provide that level of stimulation in a SAFE way that doesn’t disturb others).

I hope I don’t sound like a curmudgeon and don’t cause anyone too much anxiety about their upcoming cruise. I’m sharing these incidents only because I believe in reporting my onboard observations accurately and candidly.  Most of my fellow passengers, even the kids and young adults have been polite, well-behaved, respectful and fun.

My hope/expectation is that for the most part the folks who are engaging in this type of conduct are probably finding this cruise not exactly to their taste and will quickly move on to other lines and these types of incidents will remain isolated (and that Celebrity will start putting systems in place to better manage them).

As I hope is coming through in my write ups I’m still overall having a great cruise and really enjoying myself.

Ok that’s more than enough negativity for today.  Here, have a beautiful photo of my glass of Decoy, the wake and St. Maarten.  Time to go dress for Murano!

7D837428-09AD-4307-A63B-407CE404C9AA.thumb.jpeg.2f6eec5e36113f240933c30475844080.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Honestly I am like you, time and a place for everything. Where I just moved from I would be the 'grumpy old lady' (I'm 41 this year) that told the kids off for climbing and kicking footballs all over my property. After my husband asked nicely 5 times to stop kicking a ball at our window I was the person that went out and took the ball and walked off.

In this case it's not only rude but as you said not safe, especially with the water. To me personally it seems like something else would be better. Like a pool with splash pad or slides for the kids.

• Like 10

I feel the same also ! I think some parents  who are on vacation just tune out there kids ! The  kids probably would be much happier and have more fun on a Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise with more activities for them .We usually book when kids are back in school or a longer cruise in hope of a quieter cruise!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Honestly I am like you, time and a place for everything. Where I just moved from I would be the 'grumpy old lady' (I'm 41 this year) that told the kids off for climbing and kicking footballs all over my property. After my husband asked nicely 5 times to stop kicking a ball at our window I was the person that went out and took the ball and walked off.

In this case it's not only rude but as you said not safe, especially with the water. To me personally it seems like something else would be better. Like a pool with splash pad or slides for the kids.

I agree!  

It may be a selfish but in addition to the safety concerns I also just would hate to see this kind of behavior become a norm on Celebrity.  I pay the price I pay for Celebrity cruises for the UPSCALE fun.  

Keeping it real, if I want to spend a week on a cruise ship filled with hardcore party boy/girl types and  underparented children, I could do so for much less than what Celebrity charges even during fare deals. But that atmosphere is not what sold us on this line.  If Neptune forbid, Celebrity lets this kind of behavior creep into becoming the norm, it would break my heart and I feel like I’d depressingly  have to start looking a lot harder at the premium cruise lines. 

• Like 17

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Yikes! That definitely was not my experience.  I've only been back 36 hours, so just shaking off the jet lag.  If I write any kind of review I'll be sure to post the link for you.

• Like 1

As involved  grandparents of 2 young boys, we are often appalled at some free range parents we observe on vacations.....ignoring the kiddos, face in their devices etc,, We now hesitate to correct other's children b/c of parental  backlash.

... We are lucky that where we live most parents are  "eyes on".

Strict rule we had with kids and  pools is that if your child is in the pool...you are too!. Still followed around here,  only takes a few seconds  of parental inattention for a child to go under...

Hope your comments are a wake up call to some who need it!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Love your "slight rant".      Sure sounds like Celebrity is getting back to normal for the summer season.   I only sailed once during young ones summer break and once during college spring break and now mostly avoid these periods.     At least I'm not the only ones that notice that some parents totally ignore their young once while on the ship. 

We had one group of young teens that though it was fun to ring our door bell on the RS's and run many times a day.   Our butler was there one day when it occurred and he said he would put an end to it.     He called security and I guess they could tell who the culprits were as it ended.  

I can tell from your fantastic attitude and addictive smile that you are having a fantastic cruise.   People watching is always fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I can completely agree with your "rant".  We also cruise Celebrity for the quieter atmosphere and less children.  I love that parents bring their children on vacation/cruises with them and welcome all ages.  That being said, parents need to be parents.  They are responsible for raising their children to be productive members of society.  That just seems to not happen much anymore.  We were at a restaurant once where there was a multi-generational family (parents, grandparents, small children).  The children were yelling, running around and even climbing on the back of the booth and up into the window sill.  Everyone else in the place was very bothered by this.  My husband asked them to please calm their children down and the dad wanted to take my husband outside and fight!!

Anyway, I am loving your review.  I love the Equinox.  We were just on the Millenium in March and will be on her again next March.  I tried to find an Equinox or Reflection sailing that would work, but no luck since my DH prefers very port intensive cruises.  Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks for doing this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2