Things missing but at least we are cruising

RedneckBob

Hi y’all. RNB reporting live from the Eurodam on our second or b2b cruise to Alaska from Seattle. During our first segment I began to notice little things missing on the ship such as large coffee cups, no covers for cups, no Hal travel bags, no chocolates, missing certain types of liquors, etc. No big thing but found out why this am. Each Saturday the Eurodam arrives back in Seattle a container full of missing items has not arrived with supples to restock ship.  No big deal unless we run out of rum or toilet paper! I don’t know which would be worst 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

51 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

No big deal unless we run out of rum or toilet paper! I don’t know which would be worst 😳

I think rum because, if you have that, you won’t much worry about toilet paper.  🙃

• Haha 8

58 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Hi y’all. RNB reporting live from the Eurodam on our second or b2b cruise to Alaska from Seattle. During our first segment I began to notice little things missing on the ship such as large coffee cups, no covers for cups, no Hal travel bags, no chocolates, missing certain types of liquors, etc. No big thing but found out why this am. Each Saturday the Eurodam arrives back in Seattle a container full of missing items has not arrived with supples to restock ship.  No big deal unless we run out of rum or toilet paper! I don’t know which would be worst 😳

"See you" in a couple of hours!!  (I can bring toilet paper if you want!!  LOL!!)

• Haha 2

I know many businesses that are impacted by supply chain issues. Personally we’ve experienced a shortage of parts for appliances, appliances, crop/garden seed and fertilizer, metal, new vehicles, ammunition, and occasionally some foods. Much of it is due to transportation issues (truck/ship), but some is lack of personnel to produce these items. If equipment breaks, it’s really difficult to find the parts necessary for repair. I’m not sure if that fits the definition of “supply chain issues”, but that’s what’s happening in southern Alberta, and likely extends to other areas. 

PS, redneckbob enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Dunmore2
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know people love the old supply chain excuse but I have not seen chocolate other than gala nights since the restart.  That’s a choice by Hal.  That’s fine but let’s not say it’s the supply chain for years.

My source for missing containers in Seattle is Mr. Captain himself

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dunmore2 said:

I know many businesses that are impacted by supply chain issues. Personally we’ve experienced a shortage of parts for appliances, appliances, crop/garden seed and fertilizer, metal, new vehicles, ammunition, and occasionally some foods. Much of it is due to transportation issues (truck/ship), but some is lack of personnel to produce these items. If equipment breaks, it’s really difficult to find the parts necessary for repair. I’m not sure if that fits the definition of “supply chain issues”, but that’s what’s happening in southern Alberta, and likely extends to other areas. 

PS, redneckbob enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. Checked weather forecast, exact same as last weeks cruise. Rain, rain, rain then sunny, sunny, pc

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

My source for missing containers in Seattle is Mr. Captain himself

And that may be true but it doesn’t explain every ship in the fleet.  It’s been my experience that management tends to bend the truth at times so people don’t freak out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak for how HAL supplies their ships but I do know how RCCL does it. I drive a truck and we move freight for their Alaska ships. We haul dry goods and frozen food from warehouses in Miami FL and run them to Seattle. We also take supplies for their ships sailing out of Vancouver but we dont cross the border. We drop those at a warehouse in Blaine WA and a company the specializes in crossing the border runs them on up to Vancouver.

So they are shipping most of their supplies 3400 miles. For us, it's a good gig. We get paid by the mile. To my knowledge, we have never missed a sailing.We've had some trucks break down but we've been able to still get those trailers there, because we have drivers moving back and forth all the time, so we've been able to switch out trucks and deliver. 

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, Troubador222 said:

I can't speak for how HAL supplies their ships but I do know how RCCL does it. I drive a truck and we move freight for their Alaska ships. We haul dry goods and frozen food from warehouses in Miami FL and run them to Seattle. We also take supplies for their ships sailing out of Vancouver but we dont cross the border. We drop those at a warehouse in Blaine WA and a company the specializes in crossing the border runs them on up to Vancouver.

So they are shipping most of their supplies 3400 miles. For us, it's a good gig. We get paid by the mile. To my knowledge, we have never missed a sailing.We've had some trucks break down but we've been able to still get those trailers there, because we have drivers moving back and forth all the time, so we've been able to switch out trucks and deliver. 

Thank you for the information.  That seems so crazy to drive from Florida to Washington.  Good for people that drive trucks though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you for the information.  That seems so crazy to drive from Florida to Washington.  Good for people that drive trucks though.

I agree, that’s a loooong distance, especially with the high cost of diesel.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Do they still have the towel animals every night? That's something I would miss a lot.

When I was on the Veendam years ago with my family, the ship ran out of 

lettuce and butter. The crew said "we will have more when we get to Amsterdam."

Enjoy your cruise!  🥂  😊

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Do they still have the towel animals every night? That's something I would miss a lot.

When I was on the Veendam years ago with my family, the ship ran out of 

lettuce and butter. The crew said "we will have more when we get to Amsterdam."

Enjoy your cruise!  🥂  😊

No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

I don't care about the towel animals, I want chocolate !!!  LOL

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I don't care about the towel animals, I want chocolate !!!  LOL

Me too!!  

But we did have both on the Eurodam last fall.  I can't speak for all ships or all cruises since the start-up, but we did have both on that ship. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Can you find out why they are leaving earlier and shortening all the times at port?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Me too!!  

But we did have both on the Eurodam last fall.  I can't speak for all ships or all cruises since the start-up, but we did have both on that ship. 

On the koningsdam in November 2021 and March 2022 we only had towel animals and chocolates on gala nights.  I do like the towel animals but I can understand getting rid of them.

Update to things missing.

Dined at Tamarind last nite. It was excellent. Things missing were no scallops and three types of Saki. But the HAL shopping bags appeared yesterday that were not available last cruise

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think it's because their main headquarters is in Miami. Sometimes when coming back, we go to Napa Valley in CA and pick up loads of wine, which we take back to their warehouses. That's distributed to wherever their ships need it, including back to the west coast. So I have probably hauled wine from CA, back to FL, then back to WA.

• Thanks 1