RCCL Port Arrival Time - 3PM?

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

So here's a question...where do people learn that they need to check-in online and select a boarding time and that the earlier you do check-in, the better selection of boarding times are available?  I only know about this from CC.  Maybe there is some "fine print" in the booking?  The only thing I see is this:  "Online Check-In: Due to government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete online check-in at the cruise line’s website no later than three days prior to sailing. "

This is my first time sailing RC, so if anyone disagrees with me listen to them.  I logged into my rc account to check to see how many days out I am.  I'm more than 45 days out, so my cruise planner says I'm not eligible to check in yet and that they will email me when I can check in.  So I'm assuming I should check at 45 days plus get an email when I should do so.  And if it weren't for this thread I might have missed this.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, after 2PM.

thanks.  I'll let them know so they can decide what they want to do.

Edited by kitkat343

9 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

This is my first time sailing RC, so if anyone disagrees with me listen to them.  I logged into my rc account to check to see how many days out I am.  I'm more than 45 days out, so my cruise planner says I'm not eligible to check in yet and that they will email me when I can check in.  So I'm assuming I should check at 45 days plus get an email when I should do so.  And if it weren't for this thread I might have missed this.

Except for one DCL cruise, all of ours have been on RCCL, but none since COVID.  I am familiar with the "old" boarding process, where you bring your Set Sail Pass and other required documents to the terminal and there are no set boarding times.  Honestly, had I not read the posts in CC, I am not sure I'd know that I should check-in online (or in the app) 45 days in advance. 

It seems to me that RCCL needs at least a "What to except on your cruise" page on the website to explain all this.  Even the COVID testing and vaccine requirements are not "obvious" - they are burring in fine-print and FAQs.  Of course I know a good TA might guide their customers through the process, but we used a big-box store to book.  All I have is their cruise contract, regurgitated from RCCL, that does not even mention pre-cruise COVID testing (it does mention the possible need for testing for international air travel). 

Again, I don't think I am missing any information I need for my cruise, but I didn't get it from RCCL - I got it from experience and CC.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Good for you.  I will apologize for suggesting a statement was 'unbecoming'.

What a nice CC community! 

If we could just bottle the "coom-by-ah" on this thread, and sprinkle it like fairy "be nice" dust over the rest of the board, that would be helpful.

Off topic:  I found out where that expression (totally misspelled here):  missionaries in Africa were teaching a song called, "Come by Here, Lord", and the Africans pronounced it this way.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

So here's a question...where do people learn that they need to check-in online and select a boarding time and that the earlier you do check-in, the better selection of boarding times are available?  I only know about this from CC.  

Check-in starts 45 days prior to departure at 12 midnight ship's time. If you want an early time to arrive a port, stay up late or wake up very early at the 45 day mark. On our cruise to Alaska two weeks ago, by 8:00 am the following morning, most of the earliest check-in time were sold out. 

Like most things in life, first-come-first-serve. That's the same with booking a cruise and getting the cabin you want. Or booking an excursion (close to departure, about 90% of the shore excursions on our recent cruise were sold out). Or making a father's day dinner reservation at home. If you wait to the last minute like the OP, there will only be the times that no one else wanted. 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Check-in starts 45 days prior to departure at 12 midnight ship's time. If you want an early time to arrive a port, stay up late or wake up very early at the 45 day mark. On our cruise to Alaska two weeks ago, by 8:00 am the following morning, most of the earliest check-in time were sold out. 

Like most things in life, first-come-first-serve. That's the same with booking a cruise and getting the cabin you want. Or booking an excursion (close to departure, about 90% of the shore excursions on our recent cruise were sold out). Or making a father's day dinner reservation at home. If you wait to the last minute like the OP, there will only be the times that no one else wanted. 

That's great information, but you're not addressing my issue.  Because I have cruised before, I know how this worked pre-COVID, and because I enjoy planning my cruises and following CC, I now have knowledge of how things work post-COVID, but for people who have never cruised RCCL and are not on CC, how are they expected to know all of this?  Maybe I am just "not seeing the forest for the trees", but I find  nothing on the RCCL website, the app, or my booking receipt that details any of this.  Even for much less "complex" vacations, many resort, travel provider and booking sites have a prominent "Know Before you Go" type page.  

• Like 1

Don’t know if it’s written anywhere.  To me it’s an early bird catches he worm kind of thing 🤷‍♀️.  Same deal on SWA, the earlier you check in the better boarding spot you get.  Frankly I’m just so darn excited to do anything for my vacation, I’m always raring to go!  But you are right, how would one know?

3 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

So I'm assuming I should check at 45 days plus get an email when I should do so.

Don't count on getting an email. I have never received one yet. Just check daily in the app or by logging into your account. Sooner or later they'll tell you that check-in is open.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

So here's a question...where do people learn that they need to check-in online and select a boarding time and that the earlier you do check-in, the better selection of boarding times are available?  I only know about this from CC.  Maybe there is some "fine print" in the booking?  The only thing I see is this:  "Online Check-In: Due to government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete online check-in at the cruise line’s website no later than three days prior to sailing. "

It's a very good question.  I knew about it because of CC also.  Is it posted on other forums?  Perhaps.  BUT, I'm the type of traveler who likes to check in as early as possible, regardless of whether there's a benefit.  I fly Delta and do the assigned seats.  I still try to check in as close as to the 24 hour mark as a I can.  

Now, for our cruise next month, I never got an email.  I tried checking in at the 45 day mark and no luck.  Kept trying throughout the day, app & web, nothing.  Successfully checked in at the 44 day mark and got an 11am boarding time.  

I do feel that if they're going to assign boarding times, they should enforce them.  If I remember correctly, pre-covid, RC had "suggested" boarding times, but they were based on where your cabin was or something like that.  We plan on arriving at PC at 10:30a, and then try to get in.  I will be a little upset if we have to wait a long time because RC wasn't enforcing the assigned times.  

I compare it to SW boarding.  Want an earlier boarding slot?  Either pay for it, or check in early.  Don't check in two hours before the flight and then go into the A boarding line.  Of course, SW enforces their policy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rudeney said:

That's great information, but you're not addressing my issue. 

No, RCI doesn’t say anywhere that I know of nor do they send you a message saying that to get an early check in slot you need to do it soon after check in opens. 

They do have the date check in opens in the app and you may get a reminder message about it. 

The thing is, you don’t need to check in online at all. 

20 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

My parents are traveling with us on our cruise.  I don't know if they have a preference on check in time, but we are sailing from Bayonne.  Is it totally random when the lines are bad, or is there a time you'd recommend is likelier to avoid the crowds?

Also, to the OP I've taken 7 cruises, 4 with young children (my next will be my 5th with young kids).  This is my first time sailing on RC.  Until I read your post, I had no idea I needed to check in 45 days early to secure a desired check in time.  So thanks for helping me with my cruise and I hope everything works out for you.

NJ here! Love Bayonne port but this was a last minute thing (3 weeks ago booking). We lasted cruised Jan 2020 (pre-covid) but we are avid cruisers and also didn't know about the new 'rules'. 

I called RCCL but they were the typical "sucks to be you but good luck". RCCL custom service has always been ***** so I didn't expect much. 🙂 My biggest concern/issue is the 2 kids 'waiting for the test' and losing their minds but it is what it is. Anyhow, best of luck to you and hope this helped in some way.

10 hours ago, rudeney said:

You create a thread on this forum and some of the "experts" treat you like ***** wayyyy behind the keyboard and you learn... 🙂

Great question. I didn't read/hear anything about this or I wouldn't have waited. But, I booked like 3 weeks ago so I don't know what sort of time I would have gotten had I checked-in the day of booking.

Edited by sagosto63

6 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

NJ here! Love Bayonne port but this was a last minute thing (3 weeks ago booking). We lasted cruised Jan 2020 (pre-covid) but we are avid cruisers and also didn't know about the new 'rules'. 

I called RCCL but they were the typical "sucks to be you but good luck". RCCL custom service has always been ***** so I didn't expect much. 🙂 My biggest concern/issue is the 2 kids 'waiting for the test' and losing their minds but it is what it is. Anyhow, best of luck to you and hope this helped in some way.

You create a thread on this forum and some of the "experts" treat you like ***** wayyyy behind the keyboard and you learn... 🙂

Great question. I didn't read/hear anything about this or I wouldn't have waited. But, I booked like 3 weeks ago so I don't know what sort of time I would have gotten had I checked-in the day of booking.

I would say that your last paragraph is accurate.  The lack of earlier boarding times (they are really check in times) stems from your late booking.  You could only check in after you had booked the cruise, and by then, all of the "better", i.e., earlier times, were already gone.  So you haven't really missed out on any secret knowledge.  You are just a last minute booker who is now going to have to deal with the cards you have.

🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

No, RCI doesn’t say anywhere that I know of nor do they send you a message saying that to get an early check in slot you need to do it soon after check in opens. 

They do have the date check in opens in the app and you may get a reminder message about it. 

The thing is, you don’t need to check in online at all. 

That's true - online check-in is optional, but if you don't do that, when do you get to board?  Does the port make you wait behind all the people who did online check-in with a reserved time?  My issues is that if you don't come do your research on non-RCCL websites, you end up at the back of the line.

Just my opinion but I have been on 3 cruises since Nov. We have all read RCCL is being more strict post covid than in the past on arrival times but I have not seen it enforced on any of our cruises.  In Nov on the Symphony we had 1200 but the people in line behind us had 1 pm nobody said anything. In SanJuan on the Explorer we had a 1:30 boarding time but had to check out of hotel at 11.:30. We went to the ship and were on by 12:15 no questions about time. Funny thing about this cruise is I got 3 texts from Royal in the 24 hours before boarding with reminders to stick with boarding time.    A few weeks ago in Vancouver I saw no checking of time.
I believe they are trying to use the times to keep people spread out but in the end they just need them boarded. If I was in your position I would arrive earlier and board.  If anyone questions your time then explain about the kids and ask to get on. I would be surprised if you were not allowed on.  

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

If you use the App it tells you when you can check in and you will be able to select a boarding time on it when you fill all your information out.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:35 PM, sagosto63 said:

FLL allure of the seas and all fully VAX minus 4 year old 

You can arrive early with a child that needs to be tested. Also in Fort Lauderdale they have different lines for times to check in but no one checks. You will be fine to show up when you want, your child needs to be tested. 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, rudeney said:

That's great information, but you're not addressing my issue.  Because I have cruised before, I know how this worked pre-COVID, and because I enjoy planning my cruises and following CC, I now have knowledge of how things work post-COVID, but for people who have never cruised RCCL and are not on CC, how are they expected to know all of this?  Maybe I am just "not seeing the forest for the trees", but I find  nothing on the RCCL website, the app, or my booking receipt that details any of this.  Even for much less "complex" vacations, many resort, travel provider and booking sites have a prominent "Know Before you Go" type page.  

Royal Caribbean is not addressing your issue either. Everyone just needs to go with the flow... as it has been since the North American restart in June 2021. 

PLEASE NOTEWe are hard at work uplifting our cruises for the health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities in which we operate. We are guided by the recommendations of our Healthy Sail Panel and the requirements of countries where we sail. For guests of scheduled sailings, we will provide clear communication about what you need to know for our cruises in advance of your sail date, including check in dates, health and safety information, app notifications and all of the activities available throughout your cruise. Our cruise check-in window opens closer to your sailing date, which differs from our traditional check-in timeline.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. We arrived at 1:30PM and the port was literally dead. We walked right through and NO ONE asked about boarding time. My 4 year old got tested and confirmed OK within 15 minutes. They didn't seem to do the best job of testing to be honest. It was literally 3 quick swirls and that's it. My 4 year old was supposed to get tested on Day 5 but they did it on Day 7 (2 days before end) and it was the same type of test -- very fast.

It was literally the easiest onboarding I've ever done.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Update. We arrived at 1:30PM and the port was literally dead. We walked right through and NO ONE asked about boarding time. My 4 year old got tested and confirmed OK within 15 minutes. They didn't seem to do the best job of testing to be honest. It was literally 3 quick swirls and that's it. My 4 year old was supposed to get tested on Day 5 but they did it on Day 7 (2 days before end) and it was the same type of test -- very fast.

It was literally the easiest onboarding I've ever done.

So glad to hear that everything went well!