Heike Leaving!

Riocca

From the Azamara website:

A FAREWELL FROM HEIKE BERDOS

Heike Berdos Farewell

Let me start by saying that I am extremely grateful for having this opportunity to express my gratitude and thank Azamara for what you have meant to me and for what you have taught me along the way. The amazing people I have met during these past 15 years and the truly outstanding colleagues that I got to work with, have fun with and was successful with, became family. The connection with so many unique and precious people I have made, is priceless and will remain forever.

Change is never easy but is part of our lives and should be considered if it feels right. It is certainly not easy leaving a place that has always been supportive and caring for me, and that I still enjoy working with.  The opportunity that has come my way is simply meant to be. Throughout my entire life, I have always followed my heart and instinct and this new stage in my life is calling my name.

I will continue to follow the brand, and the friends and colleagues that I have met throughout the years with Azamara. It has been such an AzAmazing time, which I will always carry in my heart.
Heike 

• Like 2

I’m sorry to hear she’s going. We first met her years ago on a Celebrity ship, and have sailed with her many times since then on Azamara. I hope her new opportunity brings her lots of success and satisfaction.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just received an email from Azamara saying that Heike is leaving Azamara.

I know that lots of us regular Azamara folks love her . Personally I have the utmost respect for a lady who is by far the best hotel director we have encountered on land or sea....and she is a lovely caring human being.

I'm a bit worried about what this departure says......

I am starting this thread so folks can can comment in 1 place.

Good luck Heike and we wish you every good wish for your future whatever it holds.

Edited by jollyjoyce
  • Like 10

Heike was one of the reasons we loved Azamara from our very first Azamara cruise in 2009.  Round Italy with Heike, Captain Carl and Sue Denning as CD. Lovely memories of cruising with Heike and all the other great officers and crew. 

• Like 1

We were shocked to read in an email that Heike was leaving, to us she was the best of Azamara, and it feels like the end of an era. We wish her all the very best in her future, wherever that may take her. Azamara will be the poorer for her leaving!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

to us she was the best of Azamara, and it feels like the end of an era.

That says it all.  Hotel Director is a big, big job and Heike made it look easy with a warmth and sense of humor that we will miss. We will be eagerly awaiting news on what she has chosen.  Best wishes, Heike, in whatever the future holds for you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She was unhappy that the "dream team" was split up by management.  I think she started thinking that there were better contracts out there (Russ on Crystal then Silversea).  We spoke with her at the end of her last gig on the Pursuit and we could sense her unhappiness.  She wanted more time off, not more money although I'll bet she gets both.   At that time we felt that she wouldn't return from vacation.  We will miss her but may catch up with her on another cruise line.

Thank you  Heike for helping to make our Azamara Cruises special, we will miss you.  We wish you all the best for the future and hope that we may see you again somewhere in the cruising world.

A great loss for Azamara.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, malcliz said:

Heike was one of the reasons we loved Azamara from our very first Azamara cruise in 2009.  Round Italy with Heike, Captain Carl and Sue Denning as CD. Lovely memories of cruising with Heike and all the other great officers and crew. 

We were on that cruise and the following one, they also had Jim Badger on the piano late in the evenings.

Those early cruises were there best of times on Azamara in my opinion,

We have cruised with Heike many times and she will be impossible to replace.

I do wonder who of the long serving Officers will be next to leave, times seem to be changing and not got the better.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 6

We had been looking forward to cruising with Heike in March and will definitely miss her ever-present touches and personality around the ship.

One wonders how long it will take for another part of the dream team, Eric de Gray, to also accept a new opportunity, perhaps with Heike again.

Heike has confirmed she will be on Pursuit 15 July to 16 August for one last time. Obviously she cannot say where she is going but it is still on the Oceans 

• Like 1

In so many ways, Heike has been the face of Azamara.  A few years back on the morning of a B2B, I noticed our cabin crew moving with a lightness of spirit, laughing as they dealt with the bustle of a turnaround day.  I commented on their happy mood and was told that the Hotel Director was switching out, and Heike was coming aboard.

"You like working with her?"

"Oh, yes!"

"Why, does she do things differently?"

"She listens!  She listens to everyone.  She takes care of things, and you can always talk to her."

And we found it to be true; Heike seemed to be everywhere with her topknot and heels, smiling, welcoming, chatting with staff, crew, and guests.  Taking care of things. 

Heike's work of smoothing our voyages was mostly (and appropriately) invisible.  Her gift was that she made us feel heard.  I wish her only good things in the future, and that at some point I'll get to sail with her again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

In so many ways, Heike has been the face of Azamara.  A few years back on the morning of a B2B, I noticed our cabin crew moving with a lightness of spirit, laughing as they dealt with the bustle of a turnaround day.  I commented on their happy mood and was told that the Hotel Director was switching out, and Heike was coming aboard.

"You like working with her?"

"Oh, yes!"

"Why, does she do things differently?"

"She listens!  She listens to everyone.  She takes care of things, and you can always talk to her."

And we found it to be true; Heike seemed to be everywhere with her topknot and heels, smiling, welcoming, chatting with staff, crew, and guests.  Taking care of things. 

Heike's work of smoothing our voyages was mostly (and appropriately) invisible.  Her gift was that she made us feel heard.  I wish her only good things in the future, and that at some point I'll get to sail with her again.

That’s a really nice tribute to Heike!  It says so much about her management style and character.  She will truly by missed by all.

• Like 4