Help Needed for an Australian in Barcelona who has tested Positive to Covid prior to their Cruise

Hi,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me. My husband and I have both tested Positive to Covid during our pre cruise Antigen test. We are already in Barcelona. I have been trying to inform Royal Caribbean of our Positive result but have not had any success.

The emergency number on our cruise paperwork 18002566649 is for US bookings only and they can not help. The other number listed 13055394107 is only if our air is booked with Royal Caribbean. The International Help Line 13053410204 can not help with bookings made in Australia. The only number they can give for Australians is a toll free number that can only be rung when in Australia. I have emailed cruiseadmin.au@rcclapac.com twice but not had a reply.

I have completed the Health Questionnaire on the app to state our Positive Covid result.

Does anyone have an idea to help me cancel my cruise so I can then get a refund?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I don't know if they will be able to help you but just googled and this is the details of the Barcelona office.

RCL Cruises LTD.,
Provença 392, 5ª planta,
08025, Barcelona
Spain
Phone: 34 938 002 976
E-mail: infocliente.es@rccl.com
Web: www.royalcaribbean.es

Good luck, we are flying to Sydney in Nov for a cruise and have had nightmares that this may happen to us.

1 hour ago, kernow said:

I don't know if they will be able to help you but just googled and this is the details of the Barcelona office.

RCL Cruises LTD.,
Provença 392, 5ª planta,
08025, Barcelona
Spain
Phone: 34 938 002 976
E-mail: infocliente.es@rccl.com
Web: www.royalcaribbean.es

Good luck, we are flying to Sydney in Nov for a cruise and have had nightmares that this may happen to us.

Thanks. I have tried ringing the Barcelona office but keep getting cut off. I will try again in the morning and will also try emailing.

I knew there was a chance we might get Covid while overseas but never did I think that all emergency phone numbers provided by Royal Caribbean would be useless and we would be on our own. The most annoying thing is that everyone I have spoken to tells me that the International Help Line can't help Australians.

Hope you have a great cruise in November and that you don't have any problems like this.

• Like 2

@PurpleTraveller

Their  private number in Sydney is 99375400  business hours only 

9-5 Monday to Friday.

I can give you some email’s but the best one is mbayley@rccl.com and it will be forwarded straight to Sydney with a please explain attached.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@PurpleTravellerI don't have much advice to offer, I just wanted to wish you luck. It is hard being in a foreign country with no support. How RCI's international line can't help Australians has me skaking my head.

Thanks. It has certainly been a very bizarre experience and not a good one for us to discover the lack of assistance from Royal Caribbean.

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

@PurpleTraveller

Their  private number in Sydney is 99375400  business hours only 

9-5 Monday to Friday.

I can give you some email’s but the best one is mbayley@rccl.com and it will be forwarded straight to Sydney with a please explain attached.

Thanks for this. I have just spent a number of hours on hold and now the office is closed. I will send an email. Thanks again.

I hope you get some assistance soon from Royal Caribbean.

I would also inform my travel insurance company if you haven't done that already, they may be able to offer some help and advice. 

Royal says testing no more than 2 days before. If you have already taken your tests and sailing Sunday then you would not be allowed to board as taken too soon? 

If sailing Sunday maybe you could have another Antigen test nearer your sailing.

Had you been in later stages then may be ok now???

Found this on RCI information before our sailing and cost 29euros each.

We had our tests at the address below on Saturday morning when they opened. Lucky we were all Negative but the 15min wait for the Antigen test was stressful. (you need your passports)

Back off our sailing and still feeling fine.

I do hope you get sorted and find the information you need if you have to cancel. Nightmare situation for you. I sympathise with you having travelled all that distance to have to face this covid situation..

Also, i agree with zeberdee that your insurance would be a good route to go down. Our insurance gave very supportive information with covid related issues.

Take care. 

Barcelona

ProviderCMIP Example
Tests: Antigen: 15 mins / PCR: 60 mins 
Cost varies by test and timing

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing 

All guests sailing from Barcelona, Spain will need to take a test before boarding, as detailed below. Tests must be supervised with the result provided on a certificate which includes the guest’s name and date of birth. Telehealth tests are accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test.   

I hope you are able to reach RC soon- it must be so frustrating to have flown all the way to Europe from Australia and now be stuck in isolation, trying to reach RC for something they should easily fix.  Especially given the fact that you are trying to do the right thing by cancelling your cruise instead of trying to take more tests to see if you can get a negative result and pass screening to board the ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wagtail said:

Royal says testing no more than 2 days before. If you have already taken your tests and sailing Sunday then you would not be allowed to board as taken too soon? 

If sailing Sunday maybe you could have another Antigen test nearer your sailing.

Had you been in later stages then may be ok now???

Found this on RCI information before our sailing and cost 29euros each.

We had our tests at the address below on Saturday morning when they opened. Lucky we were all Negative but the 15min wait for the Antigen test was stressful. (you need your passports)

Back off our sailing and still feeling fine.

I do hope you get sorted and find the information you need if you have to cancel. Nightmare situation for you. I sympathise with you having travelled all that distance to have to face this covid situation..

Also, i agree with zeberdee that your insurance would be a good route to go down. Our insurance gave very supportive information with covid related issues.

Take care. 

Barcelona

ProviderCMIP Example
Tests: Antigen: 15 mins / PCR: 60 mins 
Cost varies by test and timing

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing 

All guests sailing from Barcelona, Spain will need to take a test before boarding, as detailed below. Tests must be supervised with the result provided on a certificate which includes the guest’s name and date of birth. Telehealth tests are accepted, but must be completed with a supervised video visit. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test.   

We were supposed to sail today (Thursday). Even if we are Negative now, since we have no symptoms, we still had to say we had tested Positive within the last ten days.

We were denied boarding but still keep getting requests via the app to do our safety briefing! I still haven't managed to speak to anyone after spending hours on hold. I did get a reply from Royal Caribbean International via Facebook Messenger who told me to email Royal Customer Service in Australia and provided the email address, which I have done.

I will contact our travel insurance and deal with any claim when I get home. I am keeping all receipts and keeping track of all the phone calls made and emails sent. 

This whole situation has been a nightmare without any assistance at all from Royal Caribbean and desperately spending days trying to get in touch with someone at Royal Caribbean who could help. It has all been so frustrating! Just imagine if we were really sick and dealing with all this! 

Edited by PurpleTraveller

7 hours ago, zeberdee said:

I hope you get some assistance soon from Royal Caribbean.

I would also inform my travel insurance company if you haven't done that already, they may be able to offer some help and advice. 

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be getting any help from Royal Caribbean any time soon. After spending three days going around in circles and sitting on hold for hours and still not achieving anything I don't expect anything to change. I am very disappointed with Royal Caribbean's total lack of care for two passengers in a foreign country unable to board their cruise.

I will be contacting my Travel Insurance company soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

I hope you are able to reach RC soon- it must be so frustrating to have flown all the way to Europe from Australia and now be stuck in isolation, trying to reach RC for something they should easily fix.  Especially given the fact that you are trying to do the right thing by cancelling your cruise instead of trying to take more tests to see if you can get a negative result and pass screening to board the ship.

After three days of going in circles and sitting on hold for hours I have just about given up trying to contact Royal Caribbean. I am so disappointed at their complete lack of care for two passengers on the other side of the world from their home who have tried to do the right thing and are not able to go on their cruise. It should not be this difficult or frustrating to try to speak to someone who can help us. 

Luckily we have no symptoms but I hate to think how bad this whole situation would be if we were really sick!

Maybe you have no choice but to go down to the port where the boarding is taking place and raise hell in front of all the other passengers , then maybe, only then someone at Royal will help you.

Guess now(time change) maybe time wise, your ship has sailed right?

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe you have no choice but to go down to the port where the boarding is taking place and raise hell in front of all the other passengers , then maybe, only then someone at Royal will help you.

Guess now(time change) maybe time wise, your ship has sailed right?

Yes, the ship has sailed. During one of the many phone calls made yesterday I said that I would go to the port and I was told not to. I would never risk endangering anyone else's health but it could have been interesting!

Edited by PurpleTraveller

1 hour ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Yes, the ship has sailed. During one of the many phone calls made yesterday I said that I would go to the port and I was told not to. I would never risk endangering anyone else's health but it could have been interesting!

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get some help. They are suppose to help you in someway...........They make you test 2 days before sailing and you are all ready in Barcelona. It's really wrong they won't help you out.

• Like 2