Hawaii cruises from Los Angeles or San Francisco

Elsa Maki

I have checked the options for Hawaii cruises either from Los Angeles or San Francisco. I haven't been able to find cruises during the summer months. i.e. June, July or August even in September. Are there really nothing during those months please? Is it due to a weather or something?

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

An alternative from sailing all the way from the states is the Norwegian's Pride of America which is actually homeported in Hawaii.

You might want to clarify "sailing all the way from the states"...Hawaii is a state. A better thought is "sailing from the mainland".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You might want to clarify "sailing all the way from the states"...Hawaii is a state. A better thought is "sailing from the mainland".

Yea, you're right...but I think Bruce it's pretty obvious what I meant.  🙂

• Like 1

Usually mid to late Sept  they have sailing  from the US  or Vancouver Canada

Then starting in Jan    to  Apr  then Sep to Dec  from California ports  for R/T cruises

Sept to Oct  for  Vancouver sailings   maybe April   they are usually one way  or may return to the USA 

if you can travel  in those time frames

Yes. "West Coast" ships are, pretty much, dedicated to Alaska itineraries from April/May through September.  Some of those ships are deployed to Los Angeles or San Francisco from, roughly, October to April for the Hawaii roundtrip crudrouises.

Interestingly, a few months ago Princss, which still hasn't deployed all its ships after the COVID pause, announced 2022 Hawaii roundtrip cruises from Los Angeles on the Sapphire Princess starting in, I think, July.  My brother booked one for August.  Then most of those cruises were cancelled.  The common assumption was that the Sapphire Princess could not be refitted to return to service in the timeframe that Princess originally hoped.  My brother moved his cruise to October.

Nobody knows what 2024 will bring, but I would be surprise, and pleased, if the Hawaii itinerary made a summer appearance.

11 hours ago, Elsa Maki said:

I have checked the options for Hawaii cruises either from Los Angeles or San Francisco. I haven't been able to find cruises during the summer months. i.e. June, July or August even in September. Are there really nothing during those months please? Is it due to a weather or something?

I live near San Francisco, so take ships from here often.  Weather on the Pacific coast is fairly nice year-round.   As others have said, during the summer months, ships cruise in and to Alaska.  Spring and Fall, there are California coast cruises and cruises to Mexico, including Hawaii.  I am booked on a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii over Christmas and New Year holidays this year.    

We have done a transpacific cruise some years ago.  Flew to Hawaii, cruised around Hawaii, then crossed the Pacific to Vancouver Canada.  

There are a variety of cruise options on west coast.  Hope this helps you find something you want. 

4 minutes ago, wcook said:

Side note: We really need to give one of the Channel Islands to a foreign country to open a cruise port. Would really open up the west coast options. 

Since they are still in North America, they wouldn't do anything to "open up cruises" that Ensenada doesn't do already.  It would still have to be a closed loop cruise.

Many years ago I sailed on a Los Angeles-Honolulu-Honolulu-San Francisco-Los Angeles cruise in September on a PFEL ship.  Weather was great and other than some fog and cool weather during the short run from San Francisco to Los Angeles, there were no weather or stormy sea issues.

Pre-Covid, I have seen ads for a NCL Pride of America crossing from the West Coast to Hawaii after a scheduled drydocking.  Maybe, there would be on from Hawaii to the West Coast before drydocking.  These would be infrequent, however.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Many years ago I sailed on a Los Angeles-Honolulu-Honolulu-San Francisco-Los Angeles cruise in September on a PFEL ship.  Weather was great and other than some fog and cool weather during the short run from San Francisco to Los Angeles, there were no weather or stormy sea issues.

Pre-Covid, I have seen ads for a NCL Pride of America crossing from the West Coast to Hawaii after a scheduled drydocking.  Maybe, there would be on from Hawaii to the West Coast before drydocking.  These would be infrequent, however.  

I believe POA did a drydock just before cruising resumed. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all from your replies. I didn't realised that the ships will go to Alaska for summer months. 

Well, I think that I just have to keep looking if some cruise line would have some Hawaii cruised from LA or SF year 2024. Cruise from Hawaii could also be nice but the flight from Finland to Honolulu is at least with two stops and 24+ hours so it is not an optional choice.

@Elsa Maki Apparently, on July 12 (just a few days from now) Princess is gong to announce new cruises for the U.S. West Coast.  I have heard that there will be California-Hawaii itineraries for the summer of 2023.  This information is all rumor and innuendo right now, but we only have to wait a few days to see if there is anything to it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:22 AM, CruiserBruce said:

The ships don't sail to Hawaii in those months...the ships are committed elsewhere, typically Alaska, because the revenues are better. The standard West Coast-Hawaii season is October-May. 

Vancouver to Hawaii - Sept 23 this year Radiance of the Seas

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have sailed from California to Hawaii and back, how did you do with all of those sea days?  Just got off a cruise that left at 5:00 p.m. on a Sunday and then had two sea days before we stopped in a port.  Not sure we can handle all those sea days.  Not interested in sailing Pride of America or doing a one way or repositioning cruise.  Would love to hear opinions.  Thanks.

If you can't handle the sea days, then this cruise is definitely not for you. There are lots of cruises with lots of sea days, trans Atlantic and trans Pacific cruises, for example.

The cruise lines put on some extra activities to help...typically Hawaii themed things like ukulele lessons, hula dancing, Hawaiian history and culture, etc. But you also need to be somewhat self entertaining...

We love sea days, but probably 5 over, and 5 sea days back, would be a bit tough on us as well. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

For those who have sailed from California to Hawaii and back, how did you do with all of those sea days?  Just got off a cruise that left at 5:00 p.m. on a Sunday and then had two sea days before we stopped in a port.  Not sure we can handle all those sea days.  Not interested in sailing Pride of America or doing a one way or repositioning cruise.  Would love to hear opinions.  Thanks.

We are scheduled for our 5th Hawaii round trip from the West Coast upcoming. We love sea days obviously. When you have 5 consecutive sea days going to Hawaii or 7 consecutive doing a South Seas or Asia trip, it is very different from 2 consecutive sea days in the Caribbean or Europe. On sea days like Hawaii or South Pacific you develop a rhythm and they are never boring. There is lots to do and yet still very relaxing.

When we were younger we loved the new port or new island every day cruises, but now we love our sea days on longer cruises.

• Like 1