HDMI Port ?

54 minutes ago, KevinXC said:

Do in-cabin TVs have an HDMI port?   Sailing Mariner next week.

While there may be HDMI ports on cabin TVs, accessing them is not a given. On Harmony for example, all of the ports are behind the mounting plate that attaches the TV to the wall, and none of them are accessible. On Mariner, (at least the last time we sailed on her) the only port that was accessible was the RCA (RWY) three cord port. The HDMI ports were blocked by the wall plate. We have an HDMI to RCA dongle to allow us to get around that.

We also bring a universal remote to operate the TV.

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

While there may be HDMI ports on cabin TVs, accessing them is not a given. On Harmony for example, all of the ports are behind the mounting plate that attaches the TV to the wall, and none of them are accessible. On Mariner, (at least the last time we sailed on her) the only port that was accessible was the RCA (RWY) three cord port. The HDMI ports were blocked by the wall plate. We have an HDMI to RCA dongle to allow us to get around that.

Capture.JPG

I was on Harmony in a Crown Loft and could access the ports on the tv. It was fairly tight but not a problem. 
Non suite rooms could be different. 

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I was on Harmony in a Crown Loft and could access the ports on the tv. It was fairly tight but not a problem. 
Non suite rooms could be different. 

When we were in a CLS on Harmony and on Allure, the HDMI ports were easy to access. When we were in a GS or JS on Harmony there was no way to access the HDMI ports. In a GS or JS on Allure, the ports were easily accessible.

Consistent inconsistency is the hallmark of RCL.

• Like 1

Few years ago we did an OS on Allure and I could get to them in the bedroom, but not the living room.  By accident I found the button on the remote that changed inputs it was the one that looked like a little TV with rabbit ears coming out the top

Was on Mariner at the beginning of June in an interior.  Easy access to the HDMI port and we had the official Samsung remote provided to us...  But I didn't try plugging anything in.

I did hit the source button and got that menu but without something plugged in, it was grayed out.

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

Capture.JPG

If you bring a universal remote you might have to access the internet to look up the programing codes for the make and model of TV on the ship.  

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

When we were in a CLS on Harmony and on Allure, the HDMI ports were easy to access. When we were in a GS or JS on Harmony there was no way to access the HDMI ports. In a GS or JS on Allure, the ports were easily accessible.

Consistent inconsistency is the hallmark of RCL.

Since we’re in a JS on Harmony on our next cruise I guess I won’t bother bringing my Firestick. We don’t spend much time in the room watching TV anyway, but it sure would be nice to have a better selection of channels to watch when we do. 

8 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If you bring a universal remote you might have to access the internet to look up the programing codes for the make and model of TV on the ship.  

Not needed with the one we use. All of the codes are in the printed instructions that come with the remote.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I thought so too, until they weren't.  

Perhaps it depends on which brand of remote you have. The GE one I referenced found the cabin TV right out of the box.

I have other “universal” remotes that never worked even with the codes.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, orville99 said:

Perhaps it depends on which brand of remote you have. 

I have other “universal” remotes that never worked even with the codes.

That's true on both counts.  I have bought them at home without the code for the TV model.  You either have to go on line and find it or try random/generic codes until you find one that works.  In the past, I have been able to find the input button either on the TV itself or on the Royal remote.  Mostly by accident I have found it on the Royal TV remote.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 7/1/2022 at 4:55 AM, orville99 said:

Not needed with the one we use. All of the codes are in the printed instructions that come with the remote.

Our Samsung remote did. I purchased that one because the TV's onboard have always been Samsung.

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Our Samsung remote did. I purchased that one because the TV's onboard have always been Samsung.

Never had any luck with a Samsung remote. That is one of the reasons we went with GE.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:26 AM, orville99 said:

Capture.JPG

Our son had no problem accessing the HDMI ports on the three TV's in his 2 bedrm GS on Harmony recently. And we could access the one in the bdrm of our GS but not the living room. You just lift the TV off the wall mount...connect it and hang the TV back on the mount.

Where we haven't been able to access the HDMI have been in the OS's on Navigator and Explorer where the TV's are encased entirely in a swivel cabinet.

29 minutes ago, Ashland said:

And we could access the one in the bdrm of our GS but not the living room. You just lift the TV off the wall mount...connect it and hang the TV back on the mount.

Therein lies the rub. At 74, I’m not comfortable with unhinging someone else’s Flat panel TV from a wall with an unknown mounting scheme and suspending it in midair while my 5ft, 100 lb 68 yo wife tries to connect an HDMI cable. 😇

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Therein lies the rub. At 74, I’m not comfortable with unhinging someone else’s Flat panel TV from a wall with an unknown mounting scheme and suspending it in midair while my 5ft, 100 lb 68 yo wife tries to connect an HDMI cable. 😇

True, if you have to hook something up that important to the cabin TV maybe you shouldn't leave home.  Somebody posted recently a new ship has added Chromecast to their cabin TV's.  Now that would make life a lot simpler.  

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

My DS helped my very capable 74 year old DH do this...but after seeing how easy it's done as a 73 year old 5'4" 140 lb wife we could absolutely manage alone. 

The only tv’s I’ve seen that would be hard to hook up are the ones in the center of the cabin that can pivot from living area to bedroom, I.e., Panoramic Suites, Owners Suites and others similarly situated. I’ve never had a problem with wall mounts. 

And for those suggesting to stay home if hooking up to the tv is so important, if I want to sit in my cabin watching tv the entire cruise, that’s my prerogative. 

Edited by HicksRA
  • Like 1

I was on freedom a month ago and could very easily access the spare HDMI port in both the oceanview and balcony staterooms. I once heard that if you unplug the ships ethernet cable from the TV, it becomes easier to switch inputs (so long as the TV is off when you do that). FWIW, never tried this, so YMMV.