Southhamptom to Heathrow

Jeter02

Anyone know off hand how much the princess bus transfer is from southhamptom to Heathrow? Also how long the ride is from point a to point b?

Edited by Jeter02

We had a bad experience with National Express, the bus company. We were staying at Heathrow for a few days and booked National Express to get us to Winchester and back, which is the same bus that goes to Southampton and back to Heathrow. The bus to return to Heathrow ( which is the bus from Southampton) never showed up. The locals in Winchester said they have heard a lot of complaints about National Express.

We have used National Express in the past and had no issue, but I would suggest a back up plan. I think you can check their fares on their website.

19 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

We had a bad experience with National Express, the bus company. We were staying at Heathrow for a few days and booked National Express to get us to Winchester and back, which is the same bus that goes to Southampton and back to Heathrow. The bus to return to Heathrow ( which is the bus from Southampton) never showed up. The locals in Winchester said they have heard a lot of complaints about National Express.

We have used National Express in the past and had no issue, but I would suggest a back up plan. I think you can check their fares on their website.

I had booked National Express LHR to Southampton on Friday May 27.  On May 26 I received an email that National Express was switching the Coach to another Coach company for May 27.  

While waiting for the Coach at LHR, I talked to a driver about the email I had received. He said that 5 coach routes  including the LHR to Southampton had been cancelled the day before due to lack of drivers and Coach mechanical problems.

Our Coach had a different name on it as National Express had hired a coach from another Coach company.

@Jeter02 Note that your $59 either way gives you a choice. You can go to/from the airport or Victoria Coach Station (in Belgravia, near the Palace).  Make sure you understand the difference between Victoria Station and Victoria COACH Station!  Not the same thing!

• Thanks 1

We didn't do the transfer. Instead, we booked the Princess excursion that took us to Stonehenge and then to Heathrow. They handled the luggage and it was a breeze. Stonehenge was interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@Jeter02 Note that your $59 either way gives you a choice. You can go to/from the airport or Victoria Coach Station (in Belgravia, near the Palace).  Make sure you understand the difference between Victoria Station and Victoria COACH Station!  Not the same thing!

Yup. Thank you. Good job on pointing that out because that would be a rookie mistake for many. My cousin lives in London so I've spent many summers there. I know the city with my eyes closed.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

We didn't do the transfer. Instead, we booked the Princess excursion that took us to Stonehenge and then to Heathrow. They handled the luggage and it was a breeze. Stonehenge was interesting.

Stonehenge is definitely amazing. I think that's an awesome recommendation for those who have not been to the UK definitely a must see.

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We had that excursion pre-booked in the summer of 2020, and of course with the cruise a no go, so was the excursion. DW actually said she was looking forward more to that excursion than the actual Norwegian fjords cruise.

We previously from Dover, took a Princess excursion that after walking around Dover went to Canterbury. It was very enjoyable. Plus, especially if you know some of the others on the excursion (as we did from our roll call), it really makes it seem like you are continuing your cruise experience, not just returning to the airport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Did you do Stonehenge befor or after daylight savings time?  I hear setting the clocks back is quite an ordeal. LOL

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

• Haha 1

Booking the Princess transfer to Heathrow was most convenient after our British Isles cruise, Since then, we've taken National Express a couple of times from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. But those two cruises were transatlantics, so we did not have to fly back from Heathrow.

Our only problem with the transfer was that the people in the row ahead of us had the flu--and we caught it from them. That was before people with contagious viruses had the courtesy to wear masks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Booking the Princess transfer to Heathrow was most convenient after our British Isles cruise, Since then, we've taken National Express a couple of times from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. But those two cruises were transatlantics, so we did not have to fly back from Heathrow.

Our only problem with the transfer was that the people in the row ahead of us had the flu--and we caught it from them. That was before people with contagious viruses had the courtesy to wear masks. 

I completely understand. On the way to the airport in Anchorage last week on the bus everybody was pretty much sick on that bus they all sounded like they had head colds along with the bronchitis like cough. Luckily I was in the very front of the bus so I wasn't surrounded by as many people as if I were sitting in the middle. Luckily it is mandatory for everyone to wear a mask on the bus within Alaska. In all honesty I really wanted to offer some people some cough suppressants on the ride.

6 hours ago, MixerDave said:

Did you do Stonehenge befor or after daylight savings time?  I hear setting the clocks back is quite an ordeal. LOL

Actually, we did it on Halloween. 😁

22 minutes ago, worldtraveller said:

Do you know if Princess offers a stop at Stonehenge on the way TO the port out of Heathrow?

When we were supposed to sail from Southampton (2020 and obviously cancelled), it was only on the way back. There was a time posted that was the earliest your plane could be scheduled to depart.

24 minutes ago, dockman said:

I paid $69 one way southampton to heathrow in May 2022...and nobody even took the ticket so could have ridden for free...it was a good bus and driver and the bus i was on was maybe half full.

Always feels so tempting. No one ever checks or asks if you have a ticket. You know how it works. The one time you decide to test the waters that will be the time they'll actually ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Always feels so tempting. No one ever checks or asks if you have a ticket. You know how it works. The one time you decide to test the waters that will be the time they'll actually ask.

🤣  You are not the only one whose mind works that way thinking that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

oh gee i am old and confused...i thought we pay on the bus...

..they did same thing in feb from san pedro to LAX...nobody checked...on that bus i wish i had not paid as a/c didn't work, lot of people refused to wear mask with not a word from driver and stopped at every terminal ....felt like they should have paid me to ride the bus from hell

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Thrak said:

In June 2019 we did a similar Princess excursion that took us to Windsor Castle and then to Heathrow when we had a 4:30 pm (IIRC) outbound flight.  I was pleased to see that they limited the number of passengers on the bus to about 1/2 capacity since we all had lots of luggage.  Our guide who was with us from start to finish (except during the audio tour at Windsor Castle) was excellent and the ride was scenic.  We plan to do a similar disembarkation excursion to the Blue Mountains after our Round Australia cruise next spring.