Dont use Air2Sea!

I won’t use air to see again.  Last time we used them, we got good rates, and they promised us assigned in advance seats. They were not- we didn’t get our seat assignments until just before boarding, and of course they were middle seats.  I had tried to pick seats prior to that, but I couldn’t 😞

I have used air2sea quite a lot on recent cruises.  A lot of posters on these boards tend to blame them for everything that goes wrong...HOWEVER...a lot of what goes wrong lately is the fault of the AIRLINES.  Air2Sea is merely an agent, a consolidator.  They only book the flights...and often at a very good price since their deals are not necessarily based on current airline public pricing...and at VERY good terms--NO PAYMENT NEEDED UNTIL FINAL CRUISE PAYMENT...plus, you can CANCEL (or change) ANY TIME up to final payment.

All of the flight cancelations, schedule changes, etc. are caused by the AIRLINES.  Most of the airlines have gone a little off the rails of late--due to the pandemic, due to financial instability caused by the pandemic and other causes...and a whole lot of other issues.

Not being able to make advance seat reservations is due to constabtly changing policies by many airlines.  Many airlines do not allow ANY advance seat reservations without substantial additional fees.  This is only one way airlines have found to squeeze additional money out of the customer.  Some airlines won't allow seat assignments until the ticket is issued--usually when paid in full.  It CAN be a problem with air2sea--but only because you have chosen to defer payment.  You can always pay it in full at reservation and get a ticket issued--and then you will be able to reserve seats--though often still with a fee.

You also might be wise to researrch the airlines before going to air2sea and only book with an airline that allows free immediate seat reservations...there are still some.  Also helps to ASK the air2sea agent to give you the actual ticket number, not just the 6 letter/digit code.  That number means they actually ticketed it--which often allows you to contact the airline and arrange seats--and not just wait for the surprise at check-in.

BTW, if you book directly with an airline, you will have to pay in full at booking, changes/cancelations may be heavily restricted...AND, you will still find yourself with surprise cancelations and schedule changes...AND, when you try to contact the airline, you may find as much of a runaround.  My daughter had a Christmas night flight canceled by Alaska Airlines (booked directly, not a cruise) and was on hold EIGHT HOURS waiting for an agent to rebook.  We fly a lot--both for cruises AND non-cruise flights--and we have had great frustration working with ANYONE in the industry.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I won’t use air to see again.  Last time we used them, we got good rates, and they promised us assigned in advance seats. They were not- we didn’t get our seat assignments until just before boarding, and of course they were middle seats.  I had tried to pick seats prior to that, but I couldn’t 😞

Note, this was over 5 years ago.

Well things do change.  Had a problem with air2sea for an upcoming celebrity cruise.  We booked through air 2sea a Delta flight- but learned after our Jan flight home, that we couldn't check our luggage if the flight was more then 5 hours away- we also cannot use the sky lounge until 3 hours before our scheduled flight- in Fort Lauderdale.  We used them again for a March cruise paid in full in December- we couldn't change without paying a hefty fee of $200 pp.  We fly first class and the airlines said no problem but since we booked with a third party they had to make the change- they would as a courtesy as we already paid in full.  The original time of the flight had changed multiple times over the past few months- but we didn't think anything of it until our January flight-  

While I like the idea of not paying  airfare in full before cruise payment is due, it really wasn't worth it.  Didn't save money, spent more.  We didn't want to go on a tour after the cruise nor use a hotel for a day in ft. lauderdale-  Since no more luggage valet program which would have spared us dragging the luggage around, never again.

Celebrity and Royal please bring back the luggage valet program.

Edited by Cruise a holic

20 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I have used air2sea quite a lot on recent cruises.  A lot of posters on these boards tend to blame them for everything that goes wrong...HOWEVER...a lot of what goes wrong lately is the fault of the AIRLINES.  Air2Sea is merely an agent, a consolidator.  They only book the flights...and often at a very good price since their deals are not necessarily based on current airline public pricing...and at VERY good terms--NO PAYMENT NEEDED UNTIL FINAL CRUISE PAYMENT...plus, you can CANCEL (or change) ANY TIME up to final payment.

All of the flight cancelations, schedule changes, etc. are caused by the AIRLINES.  Most of the airlines have gone a little off the rails of late--due to the pandemic, due to financial instability caused by the pandemic and other causes...and a whole lot of other issues.

Not being able to make advance seat reservations is due to constabtly changing policies by many airlines.  Many airlines do not allow ANY advance seat reservations without substantial additional fees.  This is only one way airlines have found to squeeze additional money out of the customer.  Some airlines won't allow seat assignments until the ticket is issued--usually when paid in full.  It CAN be a problem with air2sea--but only because you have chosen to defer payment.  You can always pay it in full at reservation and get a ticket issued--and then you will be able to reserve seats--though often still with a fee.

You also might be wise to researrch the airlines before going to air2sea and only book with an airline that allows free immediate seat reservations...there are still some.  Also helps to ASK the air2sea agent to give you the actual ticket number, not just the 6 letter/digit code.  That number means they actually ticketed it--which often allows you to contact the airline and arrange seats--and not just wait for the surprise at check-in.

BTW, if you book directly with an airline, you will have to pay in full at booking, changes/cancelations may be heavily restricted...AND, you will still find yourself with surprise cancelations and schedule changes...AND, when you try to contact the airline, you may find as much of a runaround.  My daughter had a Christmas night flight canceled by Alaska Airlines (booked directly, not a cruise) and was on hold EIGHT HOURS waiting for an agent to rebook.  We fly a lot--both for cruises AND non-cruise flights--and we have had great frustration working with ANYONE in the industry.

You can wind up with major problems if things go wrong if you don't book directly with the airlines.  Whether you book A2S, Kayak, Priceline, Travelocity, whatever.  It's like booking a cruise through a TA... that 3rd party "owns" your reservation and the airline won't talk to you.  It's great as long as everything works out, but if it doesn't, you could be in a world of hurt.  

Most of the legacy airlines (Delta, United, American, etc) allow you to select your seat when booking (provided you pay the fare to do so... similar to a "select your cabin" vs "Guarantee" cabin with RCI).  The ULCC (Spirit, Frontier, etc) break down every little bit with additional fees.  Want to select your seat?  Pay a fee.  Checked luggage? Pay a fee. Carry on luggage? Pay a fee.  

I know Delta has announced they are no longer charging change fees.  Of course, you'd need to pay the difference in ticket cost.  

As far as Christmas flights, wasn't there a major storm system that went through affecting multiple airlines?  When those kinds of things happen, it's not unheard of (or unthinkable) for extremely long waits to rebook.  

5 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Well things do change.  Had a problem with air2sea for an upcoming celebrity cruise.  We booked through air 2sea a Delta flight- but learned after our Jan flight home, that we couldn't check our luggage if the flight was more then 5 hours away- we also cannot use the sky lounge until 3 hours before our scheduled flight- in Fort Lauderdale.  We used them again for a March cruise paid in full in December- we couldn't change without paying a hefty fee of $200 pp.  We fly first class and the airlines said no problem but since we booked with a third party they had to make the change- they would as a courtesy as we already paid in full.  The original time of the flight had changed multiple times over the past few months- but we didn't think anything of it until our January flight-  

While I like the idea of not paying  airfare in full before cruise payment is due, it really wasn't worth it.  Didn't save money, spent more.  We didn't want to go on a tour after the cruise nor use a hotel for a day in ft. lauderdale-  Since no more luggage valet program which would have spared us dragging the luggage around, never again.

I'm not sure any of that is because of air2sea.  Airports each have a rule as to how early you can check your luggage.  It's a security/logistics issue.  Same restriction no matter how you book your ticket.

Multiuple schedule changes,  again, is the airlines' doing.  Air2sea does not set or change the schedules.

Change fees vary from airline to airline and ticket type to ticket type.  At least with air2sea these don't apply until after final payment. 

6 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I'm not sure any of that is because of air2sea.  Airports each have a rule as to how early you can check your luggage.  It's a security/logistics issue.  Same restriction no matter how you book your ticket.

Multiuple schedule changes,  again, is the airlines' doing.  Air2sea does not set or change the schedules.

Change fees vary from airline to airline and ticket type to ticket type.  At least with air2sea these don't apply until after final payment. 

actually never had an issue with luggage valet regarding checking luggage.  The time on my return flight home when booked was 1:15 PM, slowly crept up over the months to 3:30.  I didn't realize using the lounge would be a problem and really felt Air2Sea-aka choice air should have advised me.  

23 hours ago, Orbmis said:

My experience with Royal's Air2Sea service is...... absolutely horrible!!! I had booked flights thru A2S, but our outbound flight was cancelled due to weather. After staying on the phone with them for 2 hours, response was 'sorry, there is nothing we can do'. So we rented a car and drove 14 hours to Orlando. 

Upon our return home after the cruise, we have been waiting 2 months to get a refund. Every time I call RCCL, the response is 'we are waiting'. I have asked for a copy of the email that was sent to the airline, and was told, 'we cannot do that'

I am at a point where I don't think I will ever see the refund. Conclusion: if everything goes well with the flight, terrific.. If there is a problem, do not expect to get a refund!. A2S is just a rip-off. Never again book thru A2S. Royal Caribbean should be ashamed.

orbmis

We have never had any problems with Air2Sea...

But if you had a problem, file an insurance claim for both the air fare and the cost of the car rental, gas, etc. 

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We have never had any problems with Air2Sea...

But if you had a problem, file an insurance claim for both the air fare and the cost of the car rental, gas, etc. 

Yes, but remember that claims will normally take months to process.

Any weather event is going to cause problems; sometimes for days.  No airline or company is immune.  If you can't tolerate that possibility then you probably should not fly.  We swore off flying for awhile but now do so but with much lower service expectation and a plan B/C.

Our family of 4 will be flying to Vancouver this September for a cruise on Celebrity to Hawaii and its surrounding islands for 9 nights followed by a 5 night stay in Honolulu, then back home to Indiana. We booked A2S First Class (first time for me) and have our assigned seats (hopefully) with payment not due until final payment. I asked for the flight to Vancouver to be business class and the flight from Honolulu to be First Class but the agent said the flights all needed to be the same class, which I do not understand why but said, what the hell, and decided to fly all First Class. I turn 70 this year and am very excited to fly First Class for the first (and probably only) time in my life! Hoping all goes well!🙏

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just as an update, for many of the airlines that A2S uses you can now book your seats when making the reservation long before it is paid.  This change started with the last couple of months.  It is not for all airlines but for many.

Our flights were booked with Delta and United for reference.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We booked through air 2sea a Delta flight- but learned after our Jan flight home, that we couldn't check our luggage if the flight was more then 5 hours away- we also cannot use the sky lounge until 3 hours before our scheduled flight- in Fort Lauderdale.

Those are 100% Delta issues.  At busier airports and some cruise port cities, some airlines limit how far in advance you can check luggage.  Delta has implemented the 3 hour rule for the Sky Lounge at all airports.

Neither of those issues have anything to do with booking through A2S.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:46 PM, snellbaker said:

We booked an Alaskan cruise and have been counting the days for months. On May 25 (we depart on July 17) we were advised that our flight home on July 24, 2022 was be rescheduled for departure from 2:00PM to 7:00AM. The ship arrives in Vancouver at 7:00 AM so no way we were going to make that flight. My travel agent contacted Air2Sea(A2S) that same day and asked for assistance in finding a new flight. The agent has checked and there is a flight out of Vancouver the night of the 24th (redeye uhg) but we couldn't book as we had gone through A2S. Repeated calls and emails to A2S have been met with "we are working on it" I have called three times this weel alone and have been told each time that it would be resolved within 24-48 hours. Needless to say, it has not been. I spoke with a supervisor today and now I'm being told that the airlines have up to 5 business days to make the changes. That puts us 6 days before departure, and we still do not have a confirmed flight home. I will never use A2S again and I would suggest that no one else does either. When something goes haywire with the airline only 
A2S can set it right. If I had booked direct, I could have made the flight change with no problem. Because A2S was the booking source only they can make the change. The only thing worse than their service was their continued "we will get back to you" dialogue. 

So, did you get home okay?

On 1/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Forgot exactly how I obtained our reference number. May have been me cross-referencing our name on the Virgin Atlantic website. Once I got that, I went ahead and just selected our seats in advance. I didn't pay extra, either. But....the seats can change without notice thanks to the airline.