Suggestions for good games to bring onboard

14 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

Phase 10 - you can play with multiple people.

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I was going to suggest Phase 10.  🙂  GMTA

I always bring a deck of Phase 10. Favorite card game.

12 hours ago, sushitex said:

We learned how to play Splendor on a cruise ship a few months before Covid, then  bought the game and started playing it at home during the cruise shutdown. Last week, our daughter joined us on a cruise and because she also enjoys Splendor, we were able to play the game again while cruising. 

Our other favorite board games at home are Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan, but we never even considered bringing either game along on a cruise. I made a point of packing up all the Splendor cards, coins, and instructions to bring along, because we enjoy the game THAT MUCH, lol. 

We've brought Ticket to Ride several times, I took all the guts out of the box and pack both USA and Europe, plus expansions in one box.

Play in the card room unless we have a suite with a big table. I'd like to bring Rails and Sails, but the board is probably to big. 

I've seen folks bring Catan on a ship. They didn't bring the box, just packed it in ziplock bags

5 hours ago, VernRDH said:

If you like Ticket to Ride there are mobile versions that you do not need internet for. You would have to pass ipad/tablet between people, but you can play without taking the bulky board.

We always take cards to play contract gin if we have more people. Yahtzee is always a good choice, we have a travel one that zips closed. 

You ever play Ticket to Ride with Alexa? That's a hoot. Works with USA and Europe. 

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Best for a large group is Cards Against Humanity

Best board games we've played are Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Cattan, but both are fairly bulky.

Card games are Rummy, Hand & Foot, and Golf

Five Crowns is good, cheap and small

I love Cards Against Humanity and there's a family-friendly version called Kids Against Maturity if the original might feel awkward with the teen(s)... there's some raunchy stuff on those cards 🤣

A favorite of ours, and everyone we've introduced it to is Wits and Wagers. Numbers trivia (i.e. how many miles long is the Mississippi River) that people guess and then bet on. 

If you want to get rowdy, try Pit. Easy to learn, fun, short, loud game.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We've brought Ticket to Ride several times, I took all the guts out of the box and pack both USA and Europe, plus expansions in one box.

Play in the card room unless we have a suite with a big table. I'd like to bring Rails and Sails, but the board is probably to big. 

I've seen folks bring Catan on a ship. They didn't bring the box, just packed it in ziplock bags

That’s exactly what I did with Splendor - packed up cards, coins ( chips) and copy of instructions in a big slider Ziplock bag. We were on the Grandeur and found some bigger coffee tables and chairs  to sit on in one of the decks near the Centrum - think it was deck 6,  because  the Freestyle machine and the Schooner Bar were both nearby. 

Edited by sushitex

3 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I love Cards Against Humanity and there's a family-friendly version called Kids Against Maturity if the original might feel awkward with the teen(s)... there's some raunchy stuff on those cards 🤣

A favorite of ours, and everyone we've introduced it to is Wits and Wagers. Numbers trivia (i.e. how many miles long is the Mississippi River) that people guess and then bet on. 

If you want to get rowdy, try Pit. Easy to learn, fun, short, loud game.

Is Pit the commodities game? We played it as kids. 

And that reminded me of Waterworks and Miles Bournes. Now I need to look them up on Amazon😁

16 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

family-friendly version called Kids Against Maturity if the original might feel awkward with the teen(s)... there's some raunchy stuff on those cards 🤣

Yeah, I have a friend whose teenage son had to explain some of that raunchy stuff to her.  🙂

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

And that reminded me of Waterworks and Miles Bournes. Now I need to look them up on Amazon😁

2 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I believe the operative words are: Two - Two - Two and Three - Three -Three

Yes! and yes!

22 hours ago, Florida_cruisers said:

We are going on the Anthem soon and it’s a 14-night cruise. We have four sea days. We are a family group of 9 people (includes extended family) ranging from 16 to 67. 
what are hood games to bring with us to play on sea days? I am already packing a set of dominoes. 
I should also note that we have to fly from the US to London, so luggage space is limited. 

Sequence everytime. Throw away the box (the board folds), a plastic bag for the cards, the counters have their own bags. Takes 30 seconds to learn, the main rules are printed on the board, infinite permutations and you can play with 2,3,4,6,8,9,10 and 12 players. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You ever play Ticket to Ride with Alexa? That's a hoot. Works with USA and Europe. 

No, we are the House of Google, so no Alexa for us. We do have many of the expansions on our tablets though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Brought my heavy cribbage board on my last cruise 😏.  How do you play without a board?  

Count points on a piece of paper. 

121 for the win. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, doppelganger2621 said:

There should be a card room on board that has board games. We were on Allure and they had monopoly, scrabble, dominoes, cards, chess, and checkers

That would be great to not have to carry it with me. 

At one time I put together a cruise Scavenger hunt and a cruise Bingo game.

For the (photo) Scavenger Hunt, we divided our group into two parts (boys v girls......old v young) and at the end of the cruise each group showed their photos and the team with the most items won a prize. The photos were also nice mementos of the cruise.

The Bingo game was done on a sea day pool side. Everyone got a card and they had to see the cell item. The first person with a Bingo as well as a cover-all also won a prize.

Both were fun events and everyone seemed engaged. I will see if I can find the documents. Email me if you are interested in a copy.

• Like 1

There is also a game played with dice (and a cup) called Liar's Dice. It is a fun game and quite compact.

One other thing that we have done (although takes up a bit more space) is that I brought beads and we made lanyards for our sea passes. Everyone picked out a design ahead of time and I brought the parts. We assembled them on the first day. Some made lanyards, others made dangles. Lots of folk stopped to watch us and it made for fun conversation.

Giving another vote to Cards Against Humanity. With your youngest in the group at 16, they’re old enough to play. I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone with younger kids, though. Just as long as anyone isn’t overtly prim and proper—tell them to sit the game out. It is raunchy and inappropriate, but that’s what makes it so hilarious.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, John&LaLa said:

Did you mean Mille Bornes ? 

Mille Bornes; Parker Brothers French Auto Race Card Game(1962 Vintage)

Used to play that often when I was younger.  Hmm,  I need to ask my Mom if she still has the game.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1